• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

I've tried getting into city games before but damn they're so daunting.

I can barely draw symmetrical roads. Let alone plan a whole city.

One day...

Linius

One day...

I'm the same, hence the chaos in my city. But you just gotta roll with it. At some point I'll learn I guess.

Calabi

One day...

I'm just making a mess, no plans, I'm never good at these sort of games, it seems pretty forgiving.

ASTROID2

This mod is also great if you're using a less powerful machine, as you can set the scaling at 50%, improving your framerate while keeping UI elements read-able.

The mods broken at resolutions below 100% now. He added FXAA earlier today and now it's all blurry. Plus the slider only moves in 50% increments now. Hope he fixes it.

Shahadan

Here is how my city (town) looks right now:

:eek:
beautiful. Would you be ok to share it? (I think we can right?)

Also, is there a way to prevent my service vehicles to go too far? My garbage men go to the other side of the map to pick up trash and I don't want them to.

Crispy75

My OCD is good looking roads. That right one would never enter my city! So ugly.

You can straighten out the look with paved paths.

5yn1jEo.png

Sort of annoyed that traffic doesn't get out of the way for Emergency Services, and Emergency Services will go all the way around a road to find a junction to turn (they won't turn on the road itself).

jamsy

Finally was able to play for a couple hours. Got up to like 1600 citizens, but I keep losing more and more money.

How do I not go bankrupt in this game? It doesn't seem like I was doing anything other than the basic building roads and water pipes and electricity and all that...

Jisgsaw

Ok, so one thing is really killing all my traffic management plans: the roundabouts are not used properly.
Most (but not all, strangely) of the cars coming from a three lane (one way) into a three lane roundabout will still want to enter the roundabout on the rightmost lane, even if they only take the second or third exit. They'll then change to the second lane of the roundabout as soon as they're in it.

Really annoying, I have two huge bottlenecks because of that, even though if they used the roundabout correctly, it wouldn't be a problem.

cyress8

Banned
Finally was able to play for a couple hours. Got up to like 1600 citizens, but I keep losing more and more money.

How do I not go bankrupt in this game? It doesn't seem like I was doing anything other than the basic building roads and water pipes and electricity and all that...

Best thing I could say is start slow and reserve cash for water and electricity. Those 2 screw you over everytime. However, once you get over this hump. Money starts flowing in easily. You next problem is all about handling traffic and growth.

Linius

I think if you handle your water system with care you only have to extend your existing system by a little bit each time you expand your city. Electricity was a bit more tricky for me.

The commercial demand/parks bug is really starting to take the enjoyment out of this game, hope it's fixed soon.

Right now I'm stalled at 70k and all my previously thriving commercial zones have disappeared. Think I'm gonna start a new city and revisit this one later.

What is the commercial demand/parks bug? sorry I may missed it before.

Oh my,
I have the most shitty town imaginable, but crime will just not rise above 35%....
No services, litterally no buildings apart from zones, just enough power and water to get by...

What else can I do to increase crime?

Chariot

Oh my,
I have the most shitty town imaginable, but crime will just not rise above 35%....
No services, litterally no buildings apart from zones, just enough power and water to get by...

What else can I do to increase crime?
Take their jawwwwbsss. Huge unemployment rate will help greatly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What is the commercial demand/parks bug? sorry I may missed it before.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2yytum/commercial_demand_bug_workaround/

As I'm sure some of you know, there currently appears to be a bug with commercial demand and parks, where the presence of parks causes a massive plunge in commercial demand. If you go in and delete the majority of your parks, you'll see a large increase in commercial demand. This has been noted on both the Steam forums and Paradox Plaza.

I think I've found a workaround until this is fixed, courtesy of some detective work by a user on Paradox Plaza, who supposedly looked at game files and discovered how demand is supposed to work (at least somewhat). If you're interested, here's what he had to say:

The second part of the formula is where parks and special buildings kill off all of your demand.

It is based on a ratio of the number of visitor spaces available (includes capacity of commerce selling goods, people visiting parks, and special buildings) to the number of visitor spaces unused. The ratio is 3:1 in this case, so if 75% of your visitor space is taken up, it = 0 added demand. At 6:1 ratio, it hits +50 (85.7%). At 2:1 ratio it hits -50 (66.66%).

I think tourists are supposed to help offset the impact of the parks and special buildings, but I can't seem to get anymore to come into my city so they don't help me out much.

The Fix: create your own parks using the asset editor. Under park properties, there will be a Tourists option. Click that and change the numbers all to 0. I am not a programmer and I have no idea what this does, but I'm under the assumption that it changes the number of visitor spaces to 0.

After doing this, I went into a saved game. Deleted all my parks and watched as commercial demand rose. I then added my custom park and saw no change in commercial demand. There were tiny ripple effects each time I added a park, but that was true across both residential and industry too. I added a total of 15 parks. I then added a large park with trees -- not custom made -- and watched as commercial demand dipped considerably. After adding a large plaza and a small playground, demand plunged into the abyss.

So for now, it looks like a viable workaround until CO gets this sorted out.

EDIT: I should add that you MUST demolish your existing parks prior to or after adding your custom parks for this to work.

jamsy

Best thing I could say is start slow and reserve cash for water and electricity. Those 2 screw you over everytime. However, once you get over this hump. Money starts flowing in easily. You next problem is all about handling traffic and growth.

Thanks. Guess I'll start over and try it again.

Avalt

:eek:
beautiful. Would you be ok to share it? (I think we can right?)

Also, is there a way to prevent my service vehicles to go too far? My garbage men go to the other side of the map to pick up trash and I don't want them to.

I put it up on the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407910691&searchtext=

This town makes about 10k/day and has almost $900,000 in reserve so it should be a good town for players who have trouble starting up. I used about about 1 tile of space so there is planety of room!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I.

FUCKING.

TOLD.

ALL OF YOU.

You still need cars and trucks for goods and cargo delivery for commercial and industry if you want to have the entire RCI cycle intact. He only showed the residential and office. It might be the case that he didn't even build any industrial or commercial at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's been a while, so I assume that not too many people remember, but here is a blog post by a Maxis engineer about how he changed up the traffic algorithm so that agent pathfinding takes traffic congestion into account.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-traffic-tuning

Routing was one of the major changes we made in Update 3. It allowed us to produce much improved routing data for the vehicles compared to the previous model. As you may recall from the previous routing system, it did not allow us to really take into account correctly the congestion on the roads without some influence in how the roads were created. The system also didn’t let us take into account roads which had medians and where the vehicles would have to stop or enter a unit from a particular side of the road.
traffictuning_2.gif

If we look at the scenario used in the previous blog, then I can show how these changes affect the vehicles. Again, the Sims are driving to work from the residential to the industrial, and as in the previous blog, they will still travel through segments 5, 6, 2 and 1 in order to get to their destination.
traffictuning_3.gif

In this updated picture you can see the new routing values in black with the route the vehicle will travel highlighted in green, but they are no longer related to the points that mark the ends of the segment and instead are values associated with the segment itself and have a value for each side of the path.
traffictuning_4.gif

Now if we imagine that segment six is very congested, we can easily make it more costly to travel from segment five to segment two by making segment six more expensive. The result means you no longer have to use those horrible techniques to influence the values.

Hope you all enjoy these fixes when they appear in Update 7 later this month.

Corgi

Banned
unlocked metro curious how well it helps with traffic. Visually it seems like most of my traffic comes from out of town.

dejay

Banned
Two things I'm not fond of and it's been talked about already.

Firstly, lane use and routing. I've had intersections blocked simply because traffic is trying to get into the right hand land of a six lane one-way so that they can take a right hand turn literally over a city tile length away (2km). Kind of crazy.

An "easy" fix for the devs not to take up too much CPU would be to randomise lane choice when determining routes and only decide on the final lane 20-30 tiles out before the turn they want to make. You could change the 20-30 tiles size depending on how many lanes there are. This would look and behave more realisticly.

Yes, the bottlenecking fix will work in the mean time, but it's a programmer's solution to what is meant to be a simulation of human behaviour.

Destroy all parks.

I did that as a test. Commercial demand shot up for a while, but I was losing 5k people a week. Making my own parks (or using ones from the workshop) with no tourist demand will have to do for the mean time.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
NOW this is not "Sim Town" to the opposite of previous Maxis' effort!!

**feels the urge to buy

Ranger, it's the best city builder ever. It may not have the features of Simcity 4 yet but it's real close, and the mods are improving on everything ever day. And it's so easy to mod. And it plays wonderfully, and it lets you be creative with plenty of room to build.

Seriously, if you like city builders, this game is a must buy. Not even a slight hesitation on that recommendation.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
There's a mod that enables achievements when mods are enabled :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819

Using it on my primary save on which I did not want mods to keep getting achievements, works pretty well, I can now use tree brush and other mods without worrying about achievements.

Note that it may only works on saves that never used mods.

Oh, I'm gonna have to try that out, I'll then be able to use the tree brush, first person camera, and AA fix mod and still get achievements!

Man, the mod scene for this game is outrageous. I mean holy hell.

Matty8787

Oh, I'm gonna have to try that out, I'll then be able to use the tree brush, first person camera, and AA fix mod and still get achievements!

Man, the mod scene for this game is outrageous. I mean holy hell.

I just tried the achievement one and non popped for me, will keep it on for future reference though.

t-ramp

Here is my 4th city. I think its the first one that I have played long enough to reach 20k population.

I had to move my water pumps six times >_<

Traffic if fine lol.
Is there no body of water with a current to get all that sewage away from your city? It also looks like you have more treatment plants than you need, and since they're scattered about that bay, you're spreading shit all over the place.

Isomac

I do it most of the time as well. Too bad the range of the service buildings is lowered that way :(

I put most of me services to one way road loop just outside of my city. So far it works fine. I can see how this might become problem once I try to make the city larger. I thought about making the gap between the main highways larger and place the service buildings there.

Azusa

Is there no body of water with a current to get all that sewage away from your city? It also looks like you have more treatment plants than you need, and since they're scattered about that bay, you're spreading shit all over the place.

Yeah, on this map water doesn't move. Water treatment plants clean water but slowly. I overbuild them to clean all this pollution.

I put most of me services to one way road loop just outside of my city. So far it works fine. I can see how this might become problem once I try to make the city larger. I thought about making the gap between the main highways larger and place the service buildings there.
As far as I discovered it, the buildings do have a range of x tiles in the direction of the adjaenting streets. If this is a one way this range is not extended. Instead it's smaller :(
Schools need to be at the end of a one way cause the parents need to bring their children there. Police, hospital and Firefighters need to be at the beginning, cause they need to reach the building with the problem.

In the end you do need more of those buildings. Another way is to build a lot of small loops to accumulate this to a certain degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom