• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaldome

I surpassed 65.000 population today. Took my time building it and just letting time go by while watching the city do it's thing for a while.

2015-03-14_000039yu0r.jpg

Tomorrow I really have to fix my traffic into my industrial district.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Great, game crashed and I just lost 3 hours and half the progress on my new city.

I think I'm done for a while.

I'm used to saving regularly from playing Simcity 4, I just tap the quicksave button from time to time. That said I've not had the game crash on me once yet.

My city is now up to 47K population and still growing slowly:

My buses are super popular, people wait in line all day to ride them!

I may have to add a few more bus lines...

Isomac

As far as I discovered it, the buildings do have a range of x tiles in the direction of the adjaenting streets. If this is a one way this range is not extended. Instead it's smaller :(
Schools need to be at the end of a one way cause the parents need to bring their children there. Police, hospital and Firefighters need to be at the beginning, cause they need to reach the building with the problem.

In the end you do need more of those buildings. Another way is to build a lot of small loops to accumulate this to a certain degree.

Yeah it sure has it's problems. Firefighters etc. is still easy to get working, I am more worried about the garbage facility because of the pollution.

Plaguefox

I surpassed 65.000 population today. Took my time building it and just letting time go by while watching the city do it's thing for a while.

Tomorrow I really have to fix my traffic into my industrial district.
Are the links on these images intentional? It makes NeoGAF's "click-to-resize-quoted-images" function difficult to work with because every time I expand or shrink one of your images it also loads the image sharing site's page in a new tab and drags me over to it. Compare this to Mengy's images which I can expand and shrink and enjoy without being hijacked.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hovering at around 140k while I experiment with more stuff. Trying out lots of 1x1 commercial zones since they provide the best worker density of all commercial building types. The problem is, there are a lot more buildings, and therefore more delivery vans.

peesuYY.jpg

Crispy75

Yeah, on this map water doesn't move. Water treatment plants clean water but slowly. I overbuild them to clean all this pollution.

That's not what water treatment plants do. They're just like sewage outlets, except they spew 15% as much sewage.

dejay

Banned
I'm used to saving regularly from playing Simcity 4, I just tap the quicksave button from time to time. That said I've not had the game crash on me once yet.

My city is now up to 47K population and still growing slowly:
72xSmCG.jpg

Can't unsee dick'n'ballsville.

Shaldome

Are the links on these images intentional? It makes NeoGAF's "click-to-resize-quoted-images" function difficult to work with because every time I expand or shrink one of your images it also loads the image sharing site's page in a new tab and drags me over to it. Compare this to Mengy's images which I can expand and shrink and enjoy without being hijacked.

Hmm strange. Let me check, as this was not my intention.

Fixed it now. Copied the wrong link.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hmm strange. Let me check, as this was not my intention.

If you're copying forum links provided by them, they're probably intentionally inserting links for clicks. Otherwise, I'm not sure how they would have gotten there. Thanks!
Always strip out the image URL from the code they give you and make it an image yourself via the forum to avoid that silliness. I hate that some image sites do this.

I use Minus and their top share option is just the URL for the image itself without any extra code.

I really need to save more often. Two major crashes today, one that brought down my entire computer, wiped out about two hours' worth of work today. AGH.

I don't suppose there's any way to remove the limit on the number of trees you're allowed to have in your city? :D

No. It's apparently hard coded.

Also, trees act as decoration, but not noise reduction. Hopefully that gets modded. I hope CO removes the tree limit too

Klyka

Banned
No. It's apparently hard coded.

Also, trees act as decoration, but not noise reduction. Hopefully that gets modded. I hope CO removes the tree limit too

That's so weird cause I remember a dev stream where they said trees lower noise pollution and only add very very slight landvalue

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But then no cheevos, right? :( :( And does it keep the buildings you unlocked in that city for future playthroughs? I was actually never clear on how that works if you use mods or sandbox mode.

There's a mod that's supposed to enable achievements if you use mods, but I haven't tried it yet. Dunno if it works for all mods so far.

Linius

Just hit 6500 pop in Icetown. So now I can get working with metrolines and finally get some office zoning. I stayed in my initial plot just creating a lot of chaos and making all kinds of mistakes for now. Not planning a thing. Now I'm going to expand south the highway with some serious office stuff.

Also quite important, have a few burger restaurants right next to your cemetery for fun maximasation
p1kx90C.png

Chariot

Is there anyway to make the speed of the game faster. The fastest speed still seems pretty slow.
I know that feeling. They should one or two faster ones. I went showering and getting something to eat while I waited for the 5 year 95% happyness achievement.

Linius

I know that feeling. They should one or two faster ones. I went showering and getting something to eat while I waited for the 5 year 95% happyness achievement.

If I would leave for that long my population would probably half in size or something. Wish I was able to build a stable city :p

Mr Swine

Banned
I wish there was a way to upgrade two-lane roads to two-lane roads with trees without needing to destroy the roads I have made :/

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
got the game last night... completely obsessed. My eyes were straining hardcore on my laptop, so I moved in a larger monitor... let's hope this helps cuz god knows I'm not stopping.

Here's my first city... a lot of issues I'm working on solving right now, but luckily everyone is happy and I have zero money issues... (what do you do with all of your money!?)

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-14%20at%207.29.01%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-14%20at%207.31.36%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-14%20at%207.30.08%20PM.png

...I really need to add tress that that waterfront park I made, XD

I really want more options for some stuff though, maybe I just need to experiment more. I really want my art museum attached to paths inside a park... and not a road. :(

Chariot

If I would leave for that long my population would probably half in size or something. Wish I was able to build a stable city :p
I don't know unless you have something like poisoning your people, the city should be stable and at most fall a bit before stabilizing itself.

I don't think they can do it, really.

The speed already goes down more and more the bigger your population becomes.
What really, it scales? o_O

Seventy70

Cemeteries and crematoriums really seem broken in my game. There can be a house right next door to them and no one comes to pickup the dead bodies. Meanwhile, only 3 out of 10 hearses are in use. Fuck it. I'm just going to download a cemetery cheat.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What really, it scales? o_O

The faster you run the simulation, the more CPU power it needs. The more population you have, the more CPU power it needs. The programmers did a really good job in making the game always look really smooth by scaling the simulation as much your CPU will allow for without turning your framerate to shit.

Tiu Neo

Well, drowned my first city after a bad Dam placement. Just got its population to 60k, too. Could load an older save, but I think I'll use this as an excuse to start a new city.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
can someone explain how to make overpasses? Reviews say it's easy but... I can't figure it out. @_@

fritolay

All I wanted was an updated game where I could build roads, cities, and stuff. Finally this game delivered that. Thank you Paradox and all devs for your great game.

Mr.Mike

can someone explain how to make overpasses? Reviews say it's easy but... I can't figure it out. @_@

Page up and down keys when placing a road, and some careful fiddling until you can get a the road under in between pillars of the road above.

xBladeM6x

Making a completely clean energy, and zero industry, all offices city makes me feel like I'm building an ultimate utopia. Lol

Almighty

man it's so cool to just randomly follow a car around and look at your city and think "Fuck man, I've made a cool looking place"

I do enjoy that. The art style in the game makes the city look like it is a little model city on someone table somewhere.

Can someone tell me how Sim City regional view worked? I get that it was a series of connected maps, but is that possible to do in Skylines via modding? Can Skylines maps be modded to act like regional view?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom