• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Do you think a Geforce 450, i3 processor, and 6 GB of ram be able to run this game at medium/low settings with a decent population size?

I suspect anything with 4 logical cores should run ok, the worse your GPU the more you will need to turn down the graphical settings.

Single core cpu users need not apply. How dual core users will fare, I can't say.

Edit: The I3 has two cores, but the processor is better then the core 2 duo that was so popular for years... I can't say how it will do. Sorry.

If the game is as good as it appears to be then I'll be buying all of the DLC just to support them. I'm serious too.

I tend to buy more DLC from awesome devs like this, but I still don't buy crap DLC.

mnannola

? There will be patches and update with new content for free, of course, but there will also be a crapload of dlcs. Nothing wrong with that, its how Paradox manages to survive as a business. They do it the right way imo:

1- They deliver a playable, complete game on launch which will last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours.
2- Most of the dlcs are purely cosmetic and dont impact the enjoyment of the game at all.
3- the dlcs that aren't cosmetic are , in majority, akin to expansion packs that put a lot of great playable content and introduce a lot of new featured and scenarios.

I agree, it's hard to complain when the base game is releasing at $30 and seems well worth it. If they want to come out with tons of DLC afterwards, more power to them. If they can sell a bunch of DLC that will only help the base game continue to get support.

I suspect anything with 4 logical cores should run ok, the worse your GPU the more you will need to turn down the graphical settings.

Single core cpu users need not apply. How dual core users will fare, I can't say.

Edit: The I3 has two cores, but the processor is better then the core 2 duo that was so popular for years... I can't say how it will do. Sorry.

I tend to buy more DLC from awesome devs like this, but I still don't buy crap DLC.

Okay good, my computers quad core.

EDIT: Oh its only two cores? Well crap.

Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2's stream just got mentioned by Mariina (CEO of Colossal Order). Apparently she was watching you try to kill your city the other day.

What?!? When was this?

Also, here's the death of that city. We were trying out a 25 tile map. It was an uploaded save game that was already going to hell, so instead of saving the city, I failed it. Turns out you can just de-zone the entire map, but I went the long way around and just tried to make the miserable enough to die or leave.

Ghost towns are spooky, by the way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Okay good, my computers quad core.

EDIT: Oh its only two cores? Well crap.

Yeah, sorry. I looked it up to double-check and they are all dual core. I thought the entire I line was quad.
Edit: I would wait for some impressions from dual core users before plopping 20+ dollars down.

swoon

? There will be patches and update with new content for free, of course, but there will also be a crapload of dlcs. Nothing wrong with that, its how Paradox manages to survive as a business. They do it the right way imo:

1- They deliver a playable, complete game on launch which will last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours.
2- Most of the dlcs are purely cosmetic and dont impact the enjoyment of the game at all.
3- the dlcs that aren't cosmetic are , in majority, akin to expansion packs that put a lot of great playable content and introduce a lot of new features and scenarios.

the game doesn't have enough building variety out the box, which does hamper the overall game. more worrisome is that what they've already created aren't very good looking, but the other elements might outway that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They only look generic if you build them generic.

i don't think that's true. all of the buildings are in a kind of 'generic modern city' style, it doesn't seem to have the building theming of SC4, which gave the cities a unified and distinctive look.

i also haven't seen a single suburb on any of the streams i've seen. i'm assuming the suburban low density housing exists but nobody seems to be placing it.

I'd wait until after the game is out and more people try it before jumping in. Most streamers with early access codes have at least decent PCs, and performance seems largely tied to population/city size. It'll probably be a couple of days before those with weaker laptops have a chance to build a big enough city to really test the limits of the low-end.

My guess is it won't be an overly pleasant experience, unless you have a particularly potent mobile CPU.
I'm on a quad core i7 mobile, would that be enough?

I'd wait until after the game is out and more people try it before jumping in. Most streamers with early access codes have at least decent PCs, and performance seems largely tied to population/city size. It'll probably be a couple of days before those with weaker laptops have a chance to build a big enough city to really test the limits of the low-end.

My guess is it won't be an overly pleasant experience, unless you have a particularly potent mobile CPU.

I have an i5-3210M, Radeon 7670m and 8 GB of ram. I hope I'll be ok on lowish settings, as I've already preordered! My laptop seems fine even with most recent games, with only Company of Heroes 2 giving me trouble.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really shouldn't, but the GMG VIP deal for the base game is great and I need a bright fun city building game in my life. And this thread is making me feel the hype.

A measly 16 GBP!

I'm on a quad core i7 mobile, would that be enough?

Though the mobile processors are often much weaker than their desktop cousins, a recent core i7 mobile should probably have enough juice (and more importantly, enough cores) to run the simulation properly. Up to 1,000,000 population? I wouldn't hold your breath, but it should be at least playable at lower pop levels. Supposedly Colossal Order are pretty good at optimization, so who knows until we get our hands on it.

Worst case is you have to drop the resolution down below native if your graphics card isn't up to snuff.

Shahadan

Very nice,
However before we celebrate, lets wait to see what other reviews say about the game.

At this point reviews don't really matter. Plenty of people are already playing and have been streaming for a week, we're all 100% sure this game is the real deal, even if the metacritic score somehow end up being low.

Human_me

At this point reviews don't really matter. Plenty of people are already playing and have been streaming for a week, we're all 100% sure this game is the real deal, even if the metacritic score somehow end up being low.

Yeah true.
I mean this thread alone made me buy the game.

Before tonight it wasn't even on my rader.

Though the mobile processors are often much weaker than their desktop cousins, a recent core i7 mobile should probably have enough juice (and more importantly, enough cores) to run the simulation properly. Up to 1,000,000 population? I wouldn't hold your breath, but it should be at least playable at lower pop levels. Supposedly Colossal Order are pretty good at optimization, so who knows until we get our hands on it.

Worst case is you have to drop the resolution down below native if your graphics card isn't up to snuff.
I might wait and see how others get on, it has an and 8870m if I remember correctly, but that means little to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Game too difficult. Traffic problems everywhere, population randomly dies out for no reason at times. No multiplayer. 3/10.

I'm really excited to finally be able to play this game. I've been watching an unhealthy number of videos. I don't know exactly what it is about this kind of game but I can watch it for hours.

Review embargo drops tomorrow. Hopefully it does well because it looks like the real deal! I wonder what the city building experts at Polygon will think (lol).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Cities:Skylines |OT| Come for the fancy roads, stay for the poop tsunami

(In for the deluxe edition, just waiting on my code from GMG)

bootski

I'm really excited to finally be able to play this game. I've been watching an unhealthy number of videos. I don't know exactly what it is about this kind of game but I can watch it for hours.

Review embargo drops tomorrow. Hopefully it does well because it looks like the real deal! I wonder what the city building experts at Polygon will think (lol).

lol nice one. i ordered the game yesterday from GMG. for $20 w/ the VIP pricing and my GMG credit, i feel like i can't go wrong from what i've seen from the streamers and heard anecdotally on those streams. the game looks amazingly done. the last iteration of sim city is the first one i've skipped since it began and i'm hoping this game will fill the void. it certainly appears it will.

Daffy Duck

I've been putting off buying a PC for years but this game is pushing me close to dropping money on a PC. Problem is spending around £1k for a decentish PC and monitor..yeah.....

Ranger X

GAF I trust you on impressions for this game.

I will wait a bit because that games needs me to buy a new graphic card :p
So I really want to be sure its worth it lol

If the partially working Sim City got a 9.5 then I'm expecting a perfect 10. I mean it does everything that SC did, has bigger areas and 0 server problems, perfect 10 or Polygon is clearly sucking that EA money!

/s

But seriously I really want to see the reviews, good and bad.

JambiBum

I'm hoping that I can unlock it with a VPN tonight since I work third shift and I would really like to play it tonight. Otherwise I won't be able to play it until I wake up tomorrow :(

Klyka

Banned
A streamer just said that there are already more than 30 buildings as mods to download and put into your city.

I feel this number will EXPLODE come release day and till the weekend and people being upset about "generic cities" will quickly find lots of extra stuff to be added for free that spices things up.

A streamer just said that there are already more than 30 buildings as mods to download and put into your city.

I feel this number will EXPLODE come release day and till the weekend and people being upset about "generic cities" will quickly find lots of extra stuff to be added for free that spices things up.

I guess these are just the "ploppables"? Won't be long before they will mod the actual zone buildings.

Yeah, sorry. I looked it up to double-check and they are all dual core. I thought the entire I line was quad.
Edit: I would wait for some impressions from dual core users before plopping 20+ dollars down.

I'm going to test the game with basicly min spec cpu and even though probably everyone already knows it, I have a good old Core2Duo e8200 @ 3,2GHz/6 Gb of ddr2/750 Ti.

I'll try to give impressions in this thread tomorrow regarding the performance.

Yeah, just the existence of mod support allays all my fears about the dearth of building variety.

It will come, both from CO and the mod community. It's just going to take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom