• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

Is there a mod that unlocks all the tiles from the start? I looked, but all I can find are the ones that unlock the tiles after reaching the last milestone.

I'd kill for a mod that allowed me to actually choose my own starting tile.

Probably better to open the map in the map editor and set it yourself. That way you can also extend the highways into that square so you can actually have people come into it as well.

jts

...hate me...
Imagine a game with this freedom to build, but that you can then explore GTA-style.

Please buddha make it happen.

Vance

Banned
I can't see the water pipes I have laid out anymore. Anyone else have this problem or can tell me what I am missing?

The railway through a residential suburb, it was the first residential suburb when I started a new city at 5k pop and its district is now known as "Old Town".

d566a82111.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Made an island map in the map editor and started my tropical paradise on it

Good job, that looks sweet. I've started making a map of my own too, remaking one of my Simcity 4 custom maps, but haven't gotten very far yet. The editor is fun to mess around in.

Linius

The railway through a residential suburb, it was the first residential suburb when I started a new city at 5k pop and its district is now known as "Old Town".

That's with the 'everything unlocked' mod I'm guessing? I think I need to do that at some point. Would be great to plan a city with everything right from the start.

That's with the 'everything unlocked' mod I'm guessing? I think I need to do that at some point. Would be great to plan a city with everything right from the start.

Nah, I play the game fairly slow and plan a lot (I don't even speed up), the first suburb was built around a railway, they upgraded over time and I placed the trees and stuff. I took the screenshot at 5k population itself, the suburb originally was the first residential I built. Now the city is around ~20k and I now named it "Old Town". This particular railway was there already, it's part of the map. (outside connection) :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Good job, that looks sweet. I've started making a map of my own too, remaking one of my Simcity 4 custom maps, but haven't gotten very far yet. The editor is fun to mess around in.

It is quite fun. The simulated water physics are simultaneously amazing and frustrating.

whyman

Im going to make some buildings from my hometown, hope to start soon. What are you using? 3DS max?

Thats what I like to know. I don't own the game yet (paid on thursday) but the asset editor looks super powerful. Can you build buildings from primitives within the asset editor? 99% of the videos on youtube look like someone messing with the asset editor for the very first time and I'm not sure how deep it goes. One guy mentioned making objects in blender but that seemed like he was guessing.

I did the model in Blender. There is alot of useful info on the paradox forums and in the modding wiki.

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Modding

To make new 3D models you need a 3d program. The asset editor will only let you add props etc. Hope you figure it out!

Corgi

Banned
bah... titan X is such a tease... until I realize this is probably the most hours i've played on a pc game in ages... and my 780 blows through this easily enough.

been mostly on a handheld gaming binge until this came out. Maybe titan X will make 'dynamic resolution' mod work smoother :p

Amzin

Hmm, I saw one earlier but it was kind of wrong. Mirror's Edge wasn't actually B&W with splashes of color, it just had very white-washed minimalist buildings. Don't want the trees and grass and everything white as well :p I mean, that's fine, but it's not Mirror's Edge

Edit: Yea that's that one I saw. Reminds me more of Pleasantville than Mirror's Edge.

Cragvis

so im on the fence about buying this game.

I really think id like it but am not sure.

I actually liked sim city 5, but didnt like how you were restricted to just that little square. other than that, the game was fine for me.

would I like skylines? I know you can expand hugely and that is awesome, but there is no day/night cycle?

I love how you can mod the game, and i hope there is a mod to slow time down even more than the basic setting, but considering most people like playing fast, i doubt there is.

Unai

My game always crash when I exit to desktop. It's no big deal since only happens when I closing it, but still it can be jarring, with the error message and all.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My game always crash when I exit to desktop. It's no big deal since only happens when I closing it, but still it can be jarring, with the error message and all.

Are you quitting from in-game, or the main menu? I've seen it only a few times when quitting from in-game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

I actually liked sim city 5, but didnt like how you were restricted to just that little square. other than that, the game was fine for me.

would I like skylines? I know you can expand hugely and that is awesome, but there is no day/night cycle?

I love how you can mod the game, and i hope there is a mod to slow time down even more than the basic setting, but considering most people like playing fast, i doubt there is.

just buy it. It's so awesome. If you don't like it, I'll personally refund you $20.

Day amf night mod exists. Not fully sophisticated, but it will be. There has to be mods to play slower

There is a mod that lengthens the life of cims

Enzio

City is up to 120k now (almost 1 million under the fudged population calculation):

I started out playing at normal speed, but since it's turned into god mode, I've cranked it up to max speed.

vityaz

My city, 35k pop.

I can't wait for there to be more custom content like buildings, maybe even building style mods (like japanese or paris). I'm hoping many of the SC4 custom building creators will be taking their stuff and releasing them for CS. NDEX group, il tonkso, bixel etc

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Day amf night mod exists. Not fully sophisticated, but it will be. There has to be mods to play slower

There is a mod that lengthens the life of cims

I look forward to a 24 hour realism mod that simulates morning and evening commutes. Probably months out.

My city, 35k pop.

I can't wait for there to be more custom content like buildings, maybe even building style mods (like japanese or paris). I'm hoping many of the SC4 custom building creators will be taking their stuff and releasing them for CS. NDEX group, il tonkso, bixel etc

Building style mods (particularly sets) are a great idea, but that is really going to need a building manager front end, either by Colossal or a modder. Plus, a bunch of time since making decent buildings takes awhile.

Cragvis

I look forward to a 24 hour realism mod that simulates morning and evening commutes. Probably months out.

exactly what id be looking for too, also something to slow it down to near realism time. not 1:1 to real life time, but maybe 1:1.5

like 1 minute real life is 1 minute 30 seconds game time. so its nearly the same as real time but time will advance slightly faster in game so i can experience the entire day without playing an entire real day.

im such a picky masochistic realist when it comes to games haha. Im sure ill enjoy the default vanilla game way too much if I was someone that actually liked sim city 5 in all its shittyness.

Skyzard

Banned
Driving with a navigator irl becomes a tad more risky now, see a road design...eyes start to focus on it instead of just glancing at the route lol.

vityaz

Building style mods (particularly sets) are a great idea, but that is really going to need a building manager front end, either by Colossal or a modder. Plus, a bunch of time since making decent buildings takes awhile.

Oh yeah, would probably take a lot of time, both a DLC and community mod.

Until then let's just do it the SC4 way: Use a mod that disables all (or specific) default buildings, and look at the custom ones grow. :)

I've personally had zero technical issues with the game so far but I only have 28 hours played so far and my city has only just broke 32K. I had a major die off last night (either from age or noise pollution of my new area) and the hearses couldn't keep up... Or they were going to places they shouldn't have been going, like areas way out of what should be their jurisdiction. I also added another large hospital and fire department that are a good ways away from my first one.

EDIT: Eww, hope it didn't fuck up my save. Oh and speaking of course I say I have had no issues just for the game to crash, I only have 8GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM and the game does not like it when I have FireFox open because it wants that memory for itself. Doesn't help that FF is using nearly a GB.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My city, 35k pop.

That's a great, natural looking city!

Doesn't look like my saves are corrupt, I've disabled that mod. People should probably test these things more.

The issue with people not getting images or whatever of parks I think is a bug of some sort, I took a picture of mine and saved it but when it shows up in game I get that default untextured model image too.

Oh, unrelated note, ended up buying the complete version of Civilization V since it was only $10 ($12.49 - 20%) on GMG, already had the base game but I got it free from the Joystick award thing a couple years ago and it was cheaper to buy the complete than the other stuff, the expansions were still $7.49 each.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
God, that thing bugs me. It works, but it really, really shouldn't.

I do think lane usage might be fixable, assuming they gave modders access to ai routines.
Changing lane usage during the route might be too cpu intensive, but setting a bit of random selection during the initial path-finding should be doable.

Ainsz

Words of advice, don't build dedicated areas for sanitation. Unless you can build some super highway used exclusively by bin lorries.

bandicam_2015_03_17_21_47_54_892.jpg

bandicam_2015_03_17_21_48_03_843.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom