• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayt

Banned
OK... I just bought this. It's not only the first time I've ever bought a game for my Mac, but it's the first time I have ever downloaded/used Steam. There's no turning back now.

Just an FYI, if you start the game and have graphical problems you may need to disable the steam overlay to fix the issue.

arhra

I have no idea how you guys create such gorgeous roads and highways. I feel like I'm just making roads mindlessly, not thinking about the future of the city infrastructure.

Unplanned cities are the best cities.

Oi7nmQj.jpg

Just hit 90k in mine, although I spent most of my time today trying to unfuck the traffic in one of my industrial zones (ended up building an elevated highway to bypass it and provide access, cutting it off from the rest of the road network, and using a one-way system to keep the traffic flowing properly inside it).

As I mentioned before, all city builders have some unique qualities, despite their overall quality. I'd love to see a square grid zoning tool like in Cities XL. You choose a road, avenue, whatever and lay entire grids of roads at once. Awesome tool for grid lovers.

And in Cities XL as well, the plaza/park tool. You can place plazas and parks with trees anywhere within 4 closed roads, so ie. you could fill the gaps between buildings in non-rectangular with two clicks and fill it with a plaza with maybe a fountain and a couple trees or a grass area with quite a lot of trees.

I'd love to see these as mods.

Ainsz

Unplanned cities are the best cities.

Oi7nmQj.jpg

Just hit 90k in mine, although I spent most of my time today trying to unfuck the traffic in one of my industrial zones (ended up building an elevated highway to bypass it and provide access, cutting it off from the rest of the road network, and using a one-way system to keep the traffic flowing properly inside it).

That's a nice city; you seem to have it 90k in a small space, nice. Unplanned cities do turn out best, only it's a pain to a rail system or something similar later on and not wanting to destroy everything.

Anyone else using the 25 tile mod? Anyone got huge mega city sprawling across the whole region yet?

r1chard

is there a mod for a road piece that fuses two one-ways into a two way street? I think a lot of my initial annoyance with those initial highway connects with a piece like that.
I've come to realise that the only sensible thing to do is to have a crappy little connection road lead a ways off from the initial highway connection (off to the side and then leave a little extra room) and then you come back and fix it up later when the more useful road segments unlock (and you can afford to go a little crazy with highways and interchanges)

I've come to realise that the only sensible thing to do is to have a crappy little connection road lead a ways off from the initial highway connection (off to the side and then leave a little extra room) and then you come back and fix it up later when the more useful road segments unlock (and you can afford to go a little crazy with highways and interchanges)

Nah, man. Just connect them up into a square-sided roundabout.

Jintor

Are there any combined highway mods out there yet? Just so my fucking highways don't have one perfect beautiful curve and then the highway going the opposite direction completely breaking every few curves in my desperate attempts to replicate it.

I could seriously also do with an undo mod

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I haven't played a Sim City style city builder since SimCity 2000 (the Anno and the Impressions builders were more my thing) but I figured what the hell.

So far this is pretty damn fun, up to almost 3000 people.

Enzio

Has anyone else run into the tree cap? Apparently it's 250k and includes all the trees that were in the map before you started building the city.

I like to plant trees in gaps to make it look more aesthetically pleasing, but now I'm having to randomly bulldoze trees in areas I haven't developed yet.

elty

found a funny bug: I had a remote island isolated with no road connection, only metro and harbour. Somehow tourist managed to get there with a car, but they cannot leave as there is no road so the car parked there forever.

spiritfox

I've uploaded my first custom map. Feedback very welcome :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409670953

It's the shoreline and valleys around Santa Cruz, California. I've included the local highways and railway in as accurate a location as I could manage. Lots of fast flowing rivers in this one, so the potential for hydrodynamic mishaps is high. Enjoy!

7SmFjGl.jpg

MOuWNok.jpg

rgmUl6V.jpg

(I have no connection with the area whatsoever - I just thought the geography was interesting)

Looks great. I'll need to get home and see it in game though.

And joining 2 one-ways to one 4 lane two-ways should not be so ugly. >.<

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Attention Durante and any other modders/potential modders:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409520576

ModTools is an in-game scene graph viewer/debugger for mod authors.

THIS IS NOT A TOOL FOR USERS. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU USE THIS AND a) LOSE YOUR SAVEGAME; b) LOSE YOUR CAT; c) PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING EVER. NO RESPONSIBILITY. NONE.

Mod authors - this is not a library or framework for your mods. Do not reference the mod DLL in your own mods and/ or distribute it to users. This will only lead to angry users who poked in the wrong place.

The main feature of ModTools is the scene explorer which allows you to examine all objects in the current scene (all GameObjects, Components and their fields, properties and methods). It works through reflection and has knowledge of most types you will encounter. You can browse deep within the object hierarchy and see and edit every variable in real-time. The scene explorer allows you to place watches on variables that are of interest which puts them in a separate window for monitoring. I advise you to check out the video above to get an idea how all of this works.

There are several other things that ModTools will do to make your life easier:

- Redirects all your mod's exceptions to the debug console (F7). Enjoy :)
- Place buttons on the ModTools menu without referencing ModTools in your mod (more info coming)
- Live preview of RenderTextures

Usage:
Press Ctrl + Q in-game to open the main debug menu.
Ctrl + W - watches window
Ctrl + E - scene explorer

Please note that this is not a finished product. Its current functions are pretty stable, but I do plan to add a lot more features, so stay tuned. Feature requests[github.com] are welcome (feature implementations[github.com] - even more so).

Think not what ModTools can do for you, but what you can do for ModTools!
Join the development[github.com], submit bug reports and make PRs, let's make this tool great for all modders!

Tsm99H5.jpg

vHryYIh.jpg

Mr.Mike

This game is gonna have some really long legs. I'm really looking forward to future mods and DLC.

Well, I suppose I should get around to learning C# and games stuff. Any good books for this? (I already know Java and OO concepts).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This game is gonna have some really long legs. I'm really looking forward to future mods and DLC.

Well, I suppose I should get around to learning C# and games stuff. Any good books for this? (I already know Java and OO concepts).

Java is quite similar, I'm going through C# web development right now, and many things are very similar to java I learned in College.

Many people seem to like Murach's series. In your case, if you have some fairly extensive knowledge of Java, there may be other books you can jump into that are a bit more advanced.

I might delve into it a bit more myself later.

Corgi

Banned
Also get teary in city sim games for some reason when I bulldoze down entire zones, all for better road layouts lol.

get out of town blue color workers!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got to 80K. Megapolis... BAM! Time to get some monuments going. Also, using the unlock all spaces mod now I can build whatever the hell I want. I am so freaking happy.

Piecake

I really have no creativity when it comes to these sorts of things. It is very hard to stop myself just creating a bunch of grids and when I try to do something different it just looks like ass and acts like one with a serious case of constipation. Why won't you just squeeze out, traffic!

Any interesting styles out there that I could copy? My thinking is if I do something interesting, even if it is copying, it will spark some creativity on my own.

spiritfox

I really have no creativity when it comes to these sorts of things. It is very hard to stop myself just creating a bunch of grids and when I try to do something different it just looks like ass and acts like one with a serious case of constipation. Why won't you just squeeze out, traffic!

Any interesting styles out there that I could copy? My thinking is if I do something interesting, even if it is copying, it will spark some creativity on my own.

Maybe try recreating your hometown? Check Google Maps or something for ideas.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Weird. My city has no cargo or tourist lines for harbors. Do I need to create those? I don't see them anywhere.

There's a mod for th.....well, not yet. But I bet there will be ;)

Made a reddit thread :p

I just am obsessing over this game's future and mods for new simulation features. I desperately want punishing and more strategic mods. I'm so excited that I cant even play the game without thinking about more ideas lol

Right now I am playing with a lot of solid difficulty mods and enjoying the HELL out of grinding SO slowly

found a funny bug: I had a remote island isolated with no road connection, only metro and harbour. Somehow tourist managed to get there with a car, but they cannot leave as there is no road so the car parked there forever.
Did the dude start screaming for Wilson?

P3P5I

I'm having a little trouble again. I made a separate save file to unlock the observatory, created 1000 abandoned buildings, waited 5 weeks, unlocked the observatory, placed it, saved game, then after I loaded my previous save with my city intact it said I did not have the observatory unlocked. I thought unique buildings carry over?

edit: I just looked again and it was unlocked. That was weird.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Really appreciating the dev feedback

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-right-now&p=19055440&viewfull=1#post19055440

I'm sorry you feel the game is too easy. We have aimed for a good, stable, bug-free base game. We are currently busy working on the first patch and designing a free content patch to add some goodies to the game. We are only thirteen people, things take time to be done well, we don not want to release a game with gazillion features with half of those broken.

Naturally it's never possible to please everyone, but the mods should help out a lot to make the game more to your liking.

To those who are generally happy with the game, worry not, a patch is coming and today I'm working on the design of the tunnels, so they are soon on their way as well! We have some new ideas that will be added as a free patch and will give new tools to make your cities even more awesome. I can't say anything too specific yet, but I'm pretty sure you'll love them

spiritfox

They have always been pretty open since the CiM days, but they're really being taking it to the next level this Skylines.

It's great that the success has not gone to their heads yet :p

Piecake

Anyone notice a slow down in the game speed? My days go by noticeably slower, even on the fastest setting. I compared it to some youtube vids, and it definitely seems like I progress at a crawl compared to them. It used to be normal... Quite annoying.

Any ideas on what I can do? Will re-installing work if there isnt a quick options fix?

spiritfox

Anyone notice a slow down in the game speed? My days go by noticeably slower, even on the fastest setting. I compared it to some youtube vids, and it definitely seems like I progress at a crawl compared to them. It used to be normal... Quite annoying.

Any ideas on what I can do? Will re-installing work if there isnt a quick options fix?

The game scales the speed to the number of people and your CPU power. Get a better CPU :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So it is going to take me significantly more time to build a big city just because my CPU kinda sucks? That is very odd

Why is it odd?

A slower CPU will take longer to calculate the events occurring in the game, it does not skip events to catch up.

Giever

So it is going to take me significantly more time to build a big city just because my CPU kinda sucks? That is very odd

Similarly it would take you a bit longer to finish a game of Civ V because each turn takes more or less time to process depending on the power of your CPU. It's not exactly unheard of. The game can't just skip processing stuff it needs to process.

masud

Banned
Love this game so far. Are there ally mods that allow the camera follow a person or car from a first person view or close to it? That was one of the only things I liked about the last sim city game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The game only runs as fast as your CPU can handle. You're maxing out. Better slow and smooth than not at all.

LOL, game too hard? Let's not pretend that most people are just gonna turn on unlimited money and all unlocks and just build whatever they want and treat it like a zen garden.
Well, there is a sizable portion of the community who treat it with a min/max mindset and want to overcome the game.

GAF's bank of choice?
lol
Love this game so far. Are there ally mods that allow the camera follow a person or car from a first person view or close to it? That was one of the only things I liked about the last sim city game.

Yes. You'll find it with a search on the workshop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dipped my toes into this on a day off yesterday... it started to get its claws into me.

As you start to unlock more and more, there's a temptation to just bulldoze your city and start from scratch with a better plan. Do people do that? Or do unlocks re-lock if your city's pop drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom