• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jisgsaw

I do think lane usage might be fixable, assuming they gave modders access to ai routines.
Changing lane usage during the route might be too cpu intensive, but setting a bit of random selection during the initial path-finding should be doable.

What really bugs me with the current pathfinding is that when entering roundabouts, most (but strangely not all) car insist to enter in the rightmost lane, even if the other lanes are free and they want to take the last exit.
Had to fix a couple jams caused mainly by that.

I do think lane usage might be fixable, assuming they gave modders access to ai routines.
Changing lane usage during the route might be too cpu intensive, but setting a bit of random selection during the initial path-finding should be doable.

It's not just the lane usage, though. The AI should have the option of using the 4 outermost lanes as turn lanes in the setup given; there's 2 lanes to turn in to, after all.

What really bugs me with the current pathfinding is that when entering roundabouts, most (but strangely not all) car insist to enter in the rightmost lane, even if the other lanes are free and they want to take the last exit.
Had to fix a couple jams caused mainly by that.

In Ohio, at least, you're technically supposed to turn into the nearest lane, so that's... very, very technically correct for a 2 lane street, but still, very few actually obey that.

Which reminds me, motorists who don't follow the rules of the road (and the consequences of that, like accidents) should be a thing. You could have auto shops as either a ploppable or the byproduct of commercial zoning, and they'd spawn tow trucks.

Jisgsaw

In Ohio, at least, you're technically supposed to turn into the nearest lane, so that's... very, very technically correct for a 2 lane street, but still.

Luckily we don't drive like that in Paris, I can't imagine what the traffic would look like that way (and it's already horrible).

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to go into inner lanes directly, it wouldn't make sense else to have multiple lane roads comming into a roundabout (which most roundabouts have) as only the rightmost would be used.

Luckily we don't drive like that in Paris, I can't imagine what the traffic would look like that way (and it's already horrible).

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to go into inner lanes directly, it wouldn't make sense else to have multiple lane roads comming into a roundabout (which most roundabouts have) as only the rightmost would be used.

Well, we don't really have roundabouts here :p

And when I say "nearest lane," I'm not really explaining it well. The rightmost lane turns into the rightmost lane, the next lane turns into the next lane, and so on.

Ainsz

Words of advice, don't build dedicated areas for sanitation. Unless you can build some super highway used exclusively by bin lorries.

bandicam_2015_03_17_21_47_54_892.jpg

bandicam_2015_03_17_21_48_03_843.jpg

Edit: I think bin lorries or at least landfills should have higher capacity. It's pretty ridiculous how many bin lorries are in use use at any one time.

Neoweee

Fantastic game, and one I would have overlooked if it weren't for this thread. Thank you all.

SimCity 4 was one of my favorite games, and this may be better.

Edit: I think bin lorries or atleast landfills shouldhave higher capacity. Ity's pretty ridiculous how many bin lorries are in use use at any one time.

What you can do is whip up a couple of highway roundabouts with branching gravel service roads. That works pretty well, IME.

McNum

God, that thing bugs me. It works, but it really, really shouldn't.
Of course it should. You're adding turning lanes at an intersection. Instead of it being free-for-all, you have dedicated turn left and turn right lanes, just like real life. At least they do around here.

Of course it should. You're adding turning lanes at an intersection. Instead of it being free-for-all, you have dedicated turn left and turn right lanes, just like real life. At least they do around here.

You're adding turning lanes that should already be there, by adding a ridiculous looking bottleneck. That's what bugs me.

I was thinking of upgrading the roundabouts but I figured the traffic would all use the same two lanes anyway.

It mostly does, but it moves much faster, and putting all of the dumps on branches cuts down on congestion.

Jisgsaw

Which make it all the more apparent we really need a tool to redraw the turning lanes.
I can't count the number of intersections I'd change, with multi-direction lanes I'd change in single direction lanes.

InertiaXr

So there's a game breaking mod (the Chirper for Reddit one). Hopefully it gets fixed, but it corrupts the save file :(

If thats the one in Toma's list a few pages back, I have that installed as well, I've loaded my save and played a few times since then without any issues. Should I keep it on since my save hasn't corrupted yet, or should I go ahead and delete it?

If thats the one in Toma's list a few pages back, I have that installed as well, I've loaded my save and played a few times since then without any issues. Should I keep it on since my save hasn't corrupted yet, or should I go ahead and delete it?

Not sure... I havent booted the game in fear of a corrupt save.

By the way guys, do you think regions will be possible like in SC4?

Jims

Question for the experts on here.

Is there a significant penalty when buildings get removed due to upgrading/moving roads around? I found that I'm having a ton of traffic going through one of my neighborhoods that I didn't expect, and am going to upgrade to double lanes (or adjust an intersection).

I think the citizens get unhappy (understandably) when buildings get destroyed and have to be re-built. Is this a big deterrent I should be trying to avoid upfront or can I adjust stuff at will and it doesn't matter that much?

(We're talking about mostly light residential/commercial districts.)

jtb

Banned
Fudged population is a must for this game.

Any tips on mass transit? I built a few pretty comprehensive subway lines and bus lines in a kind of hub/spoke (the buses feed into the subway lines) but for a city of 115k, it's only picking up around ~10% of the population. Almost all of the traffic is coming from industrial districts so a part of me suspects that mass transit usage also isn't directly correlated with population? But I don't know.

Ainsz

Is there a significant penalty when buildings get removed due to upgrading/moving roads around?
As long as there is some demand for the demolished zones, they'll develop soon after with pretty much no lasting effect on cash flow.

roll up those windows on your commute if you take the freeway...
Enough to Send a white collar worker over the edge and go on a killing spree across town.

It mostly does, but it moves much faster, and putting all of the dumps on branches cuts down on congestion.

Using your advice, I've reworked the area and amazingly it's running smoothly. Cheers!

And now to show off my new city now I've passed the last milestone:

?oe?oe

I got this game yesterday. I'm quite bad at it. Especially with the garbage. I have to improve my road placements, because it's all green, trucks are all out, but constant garbage complaints...

jtb

Banned
Everyone's cities are so cleanly divided and aesthetically pleasing, mine is just one sprawling mess with a freeway built straight down the middle lol

I have no idea how you guys create such gorgeous roads and highways. I feel like I'm just making roads mindlessly, not thinking about the future of the city infrastructure.

RiverBed

Banned
Noob question (and I do mean noob): Even though i built a power grid, water/sewage pipe line, I still get notified that I need to build them. Do I need to connect them to special facilities? I'm lost. Also, can I raise a road to be an over bridge later on, or am I stuck to the road type I originally set?

Jibbed

Noob question (and I do mean noob): Even though i built a power grid, water/sewage pipe line, I still get notified that I need to build them. Do I need to connect them to special facilities? I'm lost.

Everything needs to be connected to power, and then connected/near enough to the city.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Here's my abomination.

Central 3-tier roundabout interchange. With a fucking building in the middle.

That is one glorious piece of fantaengineering.

I think i've seen worse IRL though, so, good job!

Jibbed

Ok. Connected by roads or water pipes or? ...what exactly.
Thanks for thhe help.

The pipes need to run under any constructed buildings/zones, and the power needs to be connected via power lines. Click on the water/power icons to see what are connected and how close you need to get!

Once you have the edge of an area connected, anything near that will also get power.

Ayt

Banned
Noob question (and I do mean noob): Even though i built a power grid, water/sewage pipe line, I still get notified that I need to build them. Do I need to connect them to special facilities? I'm lost. Also, can I raise a road to be an over bridge later on, or am I stuck to the road type I originally set?

Do you have a power plant of some sort and water pumps and sewage outtake?

Ok. Connected by roads or water pipes or? ...what exactly.
Thanks for thhe help.

1) build water pump
> Connect water pipes from pump to under zones (has large blue area of effect to show the reach).

2) Place electricity generators like windmills.

3) Pick the electricity poles, and place them starting from the windmill (you will see a dark blue area around windmills when you select the poles). Place pole in dark blue area, then make more that connect to a zone. You should notice the poles light up blue, indicating power.

Powered zones have a blue spread to show the area it reaches. As long as you put a pole in the blue spread and connect it to other areas needing electricity, you will continue to give out electricity

4) Connect a pole to the pump (or create a new line from the wind turbine to around the pump). Pumps will then have electricity and send water to zones.

5) Put a drainage pipe and connect pipe to the first pipe of the water pump. No need to make a new set of pumps for drainage/put them under every house

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Powered zones have a blue spread to show the area it reaches. As long as you put a pole in the blue spread and connect it to other areas needing electricity, you will continue to give out electricity

And as your city grows and the blue spread expands, you can bulldoze any overlapping power lines since they're now redundant in those cases. All that matters is that each area of blue can somehow connect to a power source.

Just speaking from the mindset of a Sim Mayor, but have you tried cutting tax significantly and offering other incentives? I assume that must help some..you can probably take a decent chunk on a month to month basis as it seems very difficult to not develop a significant surplus of cash.

Yeah you may wanna go for this, I tried this on my own and it did help. Lowered taxes on everything by 2%, demand increased like... Just a little bit of all bars. But enough for a few new constructions of each. 17k pop, taxes were at 12% before the cut.

Crispy75

I've uploaded my first custom map. Feedback very welcome :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409670953

It's the shoreline and valleys around Santa Cruz, California. I've included the local highways and railway in as accurate a location as I could manage. Lots of fast flowing rivers in this one, so the potential for hydrodynamic mishaps is high. Enjoy!

7SmFjGl.jpg

MOuWNok.jpg

rgmUl6V.jpg

(I have no connection with the area whatsoever - I just thought the geography was interesting)

OK... I just bought this. It's not only the first time I've ever bought a game for my Mac, but it's the first time I have ever downloaded/used Steam. There's no turning back now.

Piecake

is there a mod for a road piece that fuses two one-ways into a two way street? I think a lot of my initial annoyance with those initial highway connects with a piece like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom