• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
These bats are OP right off the bat (no pun intended). Night Witch was great but the real strength of hers is the bat spawning and the bat death spawning. Can't wait to get 5 of them for 2 elixar.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure about Night Witch. She's fun to play but I'm not entirely sure where she distinguishes herself from Regular Witch. She's cheaper and she punishes spells, but bats don't draw aggro from, say, Elite Barbs, and her melee attack means she frequently kills herself defending so she's less elixir-efficient when it comes to building a counter-push.

Night Witch + Lavahound has been silly fun in the draft challenge, but is probably too easily countered by real decks to be viable.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah I'm not sure about Night Witch. She's fun to play but I'm not entirely sure where she distinguishes herself from Regular Witch. She's cheaper and she punishes spells, but bats don't draw aggro from, say, Elite Barbs, and her melee attack means she frequently kills herself defending so she's less elixir-efficient when it comes to building a counter-push.

Night Witch + Lavahound has been silly fun in the draft challenge, but is probably too easily countered by real decks to be viable.

I have only come across the Night Witch a couple of times in ladder play. She seems to be most effective supporting a push led by a big tank like a Golem or Lavahound, in which case the Bats put a lot of pressure on having spare area effect air defense plus having to have a ground attack to take out the Night Witch herself.

I could see her having a similar supportive role with Giant based decks.

I agree she seems a lot less useful as a defensive card than the normal Witch with the Bats not drawing aggro from ground units and the lack of a ranged area effect attack.

Is there an obvious hard counter for her? I guess head to head Musketeer would do ok?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Lol just unlocked Sparky in a free chest. Any viable deck for him? Arena 10, my giant is underleveled. Just want to have fun

I've most commonly seen it paired with Giant to tank the tower and ranged defenders, and Wizard to combat Skeleton Army, Goblins, Minions and Minion Horde being dropped on the Sparky.

You'd need something to defend if somebody rushed the other lane, so probably some combination of Skeleton Army, Goblin Gang, Knight, Cannon/Inferno Tower, and Log are useful there. Skeleton Army and Goblin Gang could also support a Giant push in a pinch.

Matt Frost

I've most commonly seen it paired with Giant to tank the tower and ranged defenders, and Wizard to combat Skeleton Army, Goblins, Minions and Minion Horde being dropped on the Sparky.

You'd need something to defend if somebody rushed the other lane, so probably some combination of Skeleton Army, Goblin Gang, Knight, Cannon/Inferno Tower, and Log are useful there. Skeleton Army and Goblin Gang could also support a Giant push in a pinch.

I tried it, was fun for two games then it became as sad joke of a card. At least it was fun for a little bit. Back to lavaloon lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Not sure if you're serious or not, but NW is probably the most OP card they've released in a while. I think we can expect a nerf soon.

Brakke

Banned
I don't know why you think I'm not being serious. Night Witch beat me maybe once so far? My clan's been talking about a Mirror + Clone + Night Witch batswarm that I haven't faced yet. And I guess I'm mostly seeing her at level 1 for now, where legendaries should be 2 maybe 3. But she hasn't been a problem for me.

commish

I don't know why you think I'm not being serious. Night Witch beat me maybe once so far? My clan's been talking about a Mirror + Clone + Night Witch batswarm that I haven't faced yet. And I guess I'm mostly seeing her at level 1 for now, where legendaries should be 2 maybe 3. But she hasn't been a problem for me.

Oh, I asked if you were serious because there's so many people bitching about the card. :)

I have faced that mirror + clone nonsense a few times and got my face smashed in. It's really hard to stop. Executioner helps but they were immediately rocketing him as soon as I dropped him. I'm sure counters will develop in time, but as of right now, it's a very, very good card that we will see a ton of.

HotHamBoy

The offer for a Legendary chest came up again.

I still didn't have a Legendary so I said fuck it, let's do it.

I got fucking Sparky.

Fml.

Why couldn't I get something like Log or Graveyard or one of the Wizards? Tsk tsk.

Edit: Holy shit, Sparky sucks. Just drop Electro Wizard or zap him and he is naturalized.

I just wanted something versatile for my $5!

I got up to 3500 trophies with a Sparky deck.

It has a shitton of counters, but it's also great in some other respects. Giant/Wizard/Sparky is good. If your opponent has an Electro Wizard, play sparky out or cycle or just bench it for that game.

I've been playing this game for 6 months and I can't believe I didn't think to look for a GAF thread until today. I almost exclusively read the OT these days.

Seems like activity has died down a lot lately. Where are most people on the ladder? I'm stuck around 3500 and probably need to shake things up.

I play Giant/Graveyard/Wiz/Valk/Min Horde/Goglin Gang and have two variants, one with Sparky/Arrows and the other with Ice Wiz/Zap.

Brakke

Banned
Our clan is pretty active so a lot of talking about the game happens in there. Also it's easier to talk about things in the game where you can share replays and stuff.

I'm seesawing around 4200, but I've kind of stalled out. It's probably time to take a new deck out but it's so gold-expensive to upgrade cards at this point. Planning to just keep hoarding for a while and then will decide if I wanna upgrade a new deck to competitive levels and commit to it.

Game got a second wind for me when I started playing Mortar strat.

Skellies / Ice Spirit / Log / Knight / Archer / Fireball / EWiz / Mortar.

Plan is to cycle the deck super fast and pretty much always have a mortar in play. Ice Spirit / Skellies / Log give you a ton of cheap but useful cards that can really punch above their weight if you're clever with positioning. Knight helps tank hits that would go against Mortar and the rest give you an answer to fliers. Only real downside is that your wins are usually 1-0 so crown chest can be slow to fill.

I've seen some variations on it usually featuring Arrows in place of EWiz and Rocket in place of Fireball. Log is excellent but you can probably tinker around the edges to play ok without it.

Cooter

I've been playing this game for 6 months and I can't believe I didn't think to look for a GAF thread until today. I almost exclusively read the OT these days.

Seems like activity has died down a lot lately. Where are most people on the ladder? I'm stuck around 3500 and probably need to shake things up.

I play Giant/Graveyard/Wiz/Valk/Min Horde/Goglin Gang and have two variants, one with Sparky/Arrows and the other with Ice Wiz/Zap.
I hover around 3500 to 3700. Sitting at 3760 right now. I desperately want to hit 3800 so I can get that legendary arena special offer.

Running

GB
GG
Ice Spirit
Log
Princess
Knight
IT
Rocket

These past couple weeks. It has it's strengths and weaknesses. I really don't like tank decks so I usually stay away from them.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm seesawing around 4200, but I've kind of stalled out. It's probably time to take a new deck out but it's so gold-expensive to upgrade cards at this point. Planning to just keep hoarding for a while and then will decide if I wanna upgrade a new deck to competitive levels and commit to it.

I have the same thing, pretty much sitting on 4200 as my average trophy count. But I see that changing over the next 6-8 weeks, getting me closer to the 4500 mark.

I've got Arrows to upgrade to Lvl 13 but not the 100,000 gold, but that won't move the needle much. Currently working on getting my Musketeer to Lvl 10 and over halfway there in card count which will have more punch. Probably work on my Fireball to Lvl 10 next which I think will make a big difference. And I'm 4 cards and associated gold away from a Lvl 4 Miner too which I've been buying cards of at 40k a shot when they appear in the store. He'll make a difference at that level too.

Still only just over a quarter of the way in XP to Lvl 12 towers. So that isn't going to be a help for a long time.

I haven't changed up my deck in a while, and don't have much desire too. Its a bit of a classic which isn't seen much but is enjoyable to play despite not really being very innovative. Might see how Night Witch plays out though and always keeping an eye on the new cards and balancing changes.

Cooter

Hallelujah! Just hit 3800. Awesome chest. 110k, tons of cards and an F-ing Night Witch! Messed around in classic challenge with a Giant/NW/Mirror/Clone. It's pretty damn fun. Bats everywhere. lol

Excellent!

I can't quite crack 3600.

But I was here back when that counted as Legendary, so I don't know if I'll get the chest offer again or not.

commish

I've been at 3600 for about a year now. I basically never play ladder, and I won't unless and until they place certain cards at a higher rank. I just prefer tournaments where no one can out level my cards, so it's all about skill. It's also cheaper because I don't need to level my cards up.

totowhoa

Banned
Almost all I play is ladder. I don't know why.... probably some deep seeded psychological issues

It's probably worth grinding up to 4k just for the monthly draft chests though

Unrelated: Night Witch feels a lot less OP in 2v2 when there are a million towers/troops sniping those bats

totowhoa

Banned
Wait when did you get a Night Witch commish

In a clan? Feel free to PM me if you wanna jump in a GAF one

Wait when did you get a Night Witch commish

In a clan? Feel free to PM me if you wanna jump in a GAF one

I think I might, after this weekend. I'm in a clan with mostly kids from my kids' elementary school and they don't play as much. I am by far the biggest crown farmer, and since switching to this clan we never max the clan chest.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I've been at 3600 for about a year now. I basically never play ladder, and I won't unless and until they place certain cards at a higher rank. I just prefer tournaments where no one can out level my cards, so it's all about skill. It's also cheaper because I don't need to level my cards up.

I'm the opposite. I almost never play tournaments. I always have a chest unlocking. And I like being pitted against players and decks stronger than me.

Have done a couple more tournaments recently to grind gold more effectively though.

HotHamBoy

Can anyone help me build a good deck around Sparky?

I don't have any other Legendaries or any cards from Arena 8 and above.

I found a decent deck that looks like this:

Sparky
Giant
Minions
Mega Minion
Goblin Barrel
Elixer Pump
Zap
Skeleton Army

Giant is the win condition and Sparky is mainly used against tanks.

The main issue with this deck that I've found is the lack of air defense.

Minion + Mega Minion is already a good amount of air defense though? Just watch out for Fireball.

You could also go for Fire Spirits instead of Zap.

If you could push to A8, you can swap Skeleton Army for Gobling Gang.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Can anyone help me build a good deck around Sparky?

I don't have any other Legendaries or any cards from Arena 8 and above.

I found a decent deck that looks like this:

Sparky
Giant
Minions
Mega Minion
Goblin Barrel
Elixer Pump
Zap
Skeleton Army

Giant is the win condition and Sparky is mainly used against tanks.

The main issue with this deck that I've found is the lack of air defense.

Maybe swap your Elixir Pump for Musketeer?

100% done with this game until they fix Night Witch

I was already on my way out but that card never should've made it out in its' current form

Rixxan

Not having too much trouble with the night witch, but I run a pekka / tornado / wizard cleave deck that does work on her

Just hit 3500 - King tower level 9, about 3K until level 10

hollomat

Banned
Night witch seems op to me. It's way to good for its cost. Even at lvl 1, it's doing work.

It's crazy that super cell didn't test it better considering how long it took them to release it.

On another note, they need to lower the chest requirements for the clan battle chest. We still get lvl 10, but it's quite the grind. I'm not a fan of the mode so I do the bare minimum, but thankfully we have people in the clan putting in work and carrying slackers like me.

HotHamBoy

I have yet to play a game against a Night Witch. I missed the draft challenge.

Sounds lame but I'm sure they'll fix it. Balance is hard.

Agree about clan chest. I spent a good amount of time yesterday and today playing but our Clan, which is full, only got to Lv 6. Tbf, I never saw more than 4 people online at once.

Quite frankly, I have never found the rewards from the Clan Battle Chest to be worth the grind. 2 random epics isn't really that great when it's only one more than what you get from a fraction of the effort. I've still never gotten a Legendary from any chest I've opened, let alone any Clan Chest.

Oh, I'm King Level 9 and barely holding on to Arena 8, a loss away from dropping down again for the 3rd time. But now all I need is Clone and I'll have all the non-Legendary cards up to Arena 8

Sparky may not be a very good Legendary but he has performed better than Balloon did due to his counter-tank abilities.

EDIT

Can I talk about something I really dislike about this otherwise fun game?

The way card leveling works actively discourages experimentation with decks in later Arenas because of the cost to level cards and the constant need for gold. "Oh, this deck sounds like a fun idea!" but alas the cards you need are way under-leveled.

You can't feasibly level most of the cards to a competitive level without spending a lot of money. I have spent money in this game, I'm not a F2P player, but being locked out of certain deck types with cards I have because those cards aren't at a viable level is a real kick in the teeth.

Right now I have about 4 or 5 common cards waiting to be leveled to 9 and at 4k each I can't really afford to invest in the new cards I've gotten in Arena 8. Hell, that's not even considering the Rare's and Epics I have waiting a 2k upgrade.

Did I spread my gold too thin when I was a newbie? Sure. Shame on me for wanting to play with the cards I got and seeing what I liked while I learned the game.

If anyone is interested, these are the Cards I think I should level because of their versatality:

For the record, I don't have any cards higher than Level 8 except Spear Goblins. As of this post I have 3k in gold.

Level 8 > 9:

Minions
Archers
Zap
Arrows

Fire Spirits 7 > 8

Fireball 5 > 6

Royal Giant 6 > 8

Giant 6 > 7

Agent

Hit a new personal best this season with 5320. Going to try for 5500 this season. Had the tough choice between Night Witch (to get to level 2) and Sparky in the season reward chest.

A few thoughts:

Clan Battles
Hopefully they make some changes soon with clan battles. They were fun the first two times, but now it is just a grind with the 275 win requirement. A few ideas:
-Reduce the win requirement
-Make it crown based instead of win based
-Make each win 1, instead of .5. This would likely make it go by fast, so maybe make it 300 wins.
-Keep the current system, but increase the chest rewards. At least make the grind worthwhile.
-Change up the format with different variations. I.E. draft clan battles, 2X elixir.
-Make a Grand/Classic Challenge with clan battles.

Balance changes:
I know most will disagree with me, but I think most cards are currently fairly well balanced with few exceptions. To me, the most unbalanced card right now is Tornado. There is a reason why you see the card in a lot of Top 200 decks. It simply can shut down all pushes. Combined with Executioner/Bowler/Fireball/Baby Dragon most pushes are done for. Personally, I would limit the radius of the spell as a start. You don't want to reduce the "pull" or damage as the card would be useless at that point.

I know there are calls for Night Witch nerf, and I agree it is a strong card right now. However, I actually say leave it alone for the first balance change or have minimal changes. The card has been out a week. The calling to nerf a newly released card happens almost every time. Then as time passes people learn the card more, the interactions, and counters which gives a better perspective of how it fits into the meta. I also suspect it is even more disliked since it is a Legendary card, so there is an automatic +20% to the rage since a large % do not have it. If they were to change anything, I think increasing the time between bat spawns would be fine. The Witch spawns 3 skeletons every 7.5 seconds. The Night Witch spawns 2 bats every 5 seconds. Perhaps the bat spawn rate should be 5.5/6 seconds.

commish

Hit a new personal best this season with 5320. Going to try for 5500 this season. Had the tough choice between Night Witch (to get to level 2) and Sparky in the season reward chest.

A few thoughts:

Clan Battles
Hopefully they make some changes soon with clan battles. They were fun the first two times, but now it is just a grind with the 275 win requirement. A few ideas:
-Reduce the win requirement
-Make it crown based instead of win based
-Make each win 1, instead of .5. This would likely make it go by fast, so maybe make it 300 wins.
-Keep the current system, but increase the chest rewards. At least make the grind worthwhile.
-Change up the format with different variations. I.E. draft clan battles, 2X elixir.
-Make a Grand/Classic Challenge with clan battles.

Balance changes:
I know most will disagree with me, but I think most cards are currently fairly well balanced with few exceptions. To me, the most unbalanced card right now is Tornado. There is a reason why you see the card in a lot of Top 200 decks. It simply can shut down all pushes. Combined with Executioner/Bowler/Fireball/Baby Dragon most pushes are done for. Personally, I would limit the radius of the spell as a start. You don't want to reduce the "pull" or damage as the card would be useless at that point.

I know there are calls for Night Witch nerf, and I agree it is a strong card right now. However, I actually say leave it alone for the first balance change or have minimal changes. The card has been out a week. The calling to nerf a newly released card happens almost every time. Then as time passes people learn the card more, the interactions, and counters which gives a better perspective of how it fits into the meta. I also suspect it is even more disliked since it is a Legendary card, so there is an automatic +20% to the rage since a large % do not have it. If they were to change anything, I think increasing the time between bat spawns would be fine. The Witch spawns 3 skeletons every 7.5 seconds. The Night Witch spawns 2 bats every 5 seconds. Perhaps the bat spawn rate should be 5.5/6 seconds.

Clan fights are already 1 win. Each player gets 0.5. I'd be 1000000000% behind a draft clan battle. Draft fights are my favorite (also the most unfair at times).

I think 1 point a tower rather than 1 point a win would be a great switch as well. It really is a grind for the less active clans. I know my clan had 50% who got 1 win or less, and really everyone outside of top 10 got 3 wins or less probably.

In other news, if I fight one more golem + NW, I will cry irl.

Fuck these fucking mortar, ice spirit, archers,, skeleton, knight decks.

5 out of my last 6 games were against a variation of this fucking deck.
All 0-0 draws.
What a fucking waste of time.
Who even came up with this bullshit...

Agent

Clan fights are already 1 win. Each player gets 0.5. I'd be 1000000000% behind a draft clan battle. Draft fights are my favorite (also the most unfair at times).

I think 1 point a tower rather than 1 point a win would be a great switch as well. It really is a grind for the less active clans. I know my clan had 50% who got 1 win or less, and really everyone outside of top 10 got 3 wins or less probably.

In other news, if I fight one more golem + NW, I will cry irl.

Ironically enough, 2v2 clan draft battle has just been announced for the next update along with 2v2 friendly battles. Video just posted on News Royale: https://youtu.be/p7reYhxMq2k

Hopefully this means the next update news will start coming out.

Huh I did not know CR was that popular in Japan. Does that also apply to other Supercell games? The impression I get is that it's usually gatcha games that are popular in Japan. I suppose CR is kind of gatcha

Top Bottom