• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliven Bundy (led 2014 armed standoff at ranch) arrested by FBI in Portland, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
One of the four remaining holdouts, Blaine Cooper got arrested a little while ago too. Woo!

lawnchair

Banned
what happened to all of the other people who were involved in the occupation? i remember when mr. finicum got shot and the leaders arrested .. but that wasn't everybody. where are the rest of them?

Oblivion

what happened to all of the other people who were involved in the occupation? i remember when mr. finicum got shot and the leaders arrested .. but that wasn't everybody. where are the rest of them?

I believe 8 got arrested, 4 (now 3) are still at the refuge, and everyone else bailed.

lawnchair

Banned
I believe 8 got arrested, 4 (now 3) were still at the refuge, and everyone else bailed.

so how many people do we think "bailed"? and does that mean "were freely left to walk away" ? are they being sought by law enforcement? has anyone said anything about the ones that "slipped out" ?

Oblivion

so how many people do we think "bailed"? and does that mean "were freely left to walk away" ? are they being sought by law enforcement? has anyone said anything about the ones that "slipped out" ?

I've read reports saying that at the height of the occupation, there were around 80 people. But they all didn't stay at the refuge. Most of them were in hotels and such close to the area. I haven't heard anything about the FBI planning to go after them, but I don't think they will cause most of the grunts were probably just there to play horseshoes, so they probably don't think it's worth it.

He spends a year and a half jerking people around in Nevada after an armed standoff with the Feds, following 20 years of illegal use of Federal lands... 3 seconds on the ground in Portland and he's under arrest. That's my city!

Ca9ALlbW8AArSCR.png:large

Charge sheet is up.

Azih

While I was frustrated by the initial FBI response it makes perfect sense what they did. Play the long game.

SURGEdude

Him and his spawn are thr very definition of a domestic terrorists. The Feds should make examples of these two along with the rest of their militia friends. The militia movement was allowed to run amock in the 90's and Oklahoma was the result. The authorities need to stamp out this new wave of far right extremism before it gets out of control.

Yup. The Bundy's represent the worst of the far right. Even by the most generous assessment he's a hate spewing common criminal. But I tend to agree he's crossed far beyond that into domestic terrorism.

It appears he's being charged for offenses related to his 2014 standoff in addition to interfering with the 2016 standoff in Oregon. What was the missing component that delayed him being charged with leading the 2014 standoff, and had he not decided to head to Oregon this week would those charges have eluded him indefinitely?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It appears he's being charged for offenses related to his 2014 standoff in addition to interfering with the 2016 standoff in Oregon. What was the missing component that delayed him being charged with leading the 2014 standoff, and had he not decided to head to Oregon this week would those charges have eluded him indefinitely?

Probably needed the King of Jabrovia to appoint a new County Sherriff.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well too bad that this is going to be a federal case, I have jury duty in a few weeks where everyone is being held.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ca9ALlbW8AArSCR.png:large

Charge sheet is up.

So I decided to look up what potential time he's facing (I'm assuming* he's facing felony charges, other wise each of these would be lessened):

• 18:371 - max. 5 years
  • 18:111(b) - max. 20 years
  • 18:924(c) - looks like this could vary, as I don't know exactly how he used the gun. If he just brandished a legal unmodified gun, didn't use it to commit a drug crime, and this is his first conviction then min. 5 years (not sure what the max. is)
  • 18:1503 - max. 10 years
  • 18:1951 - max. 20 years
  • 18:2 - No time but makes him "punishable as a principal"

Some of these also have fine options. I'd also assume* they'd run them concurrently, so facing 5-20 years?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This delightful individual?

Ca76e7iUUAA9StI.jpg

He's salty about subsidies? A welfare rancher who went full terrorist to be even more heavily subsidized is salty about subsidies? Oh, dear...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...cupiers-indicted-2014-nevada-standoff-n520466

More details about charges they face. Also, among those arrested was an internet talk show host.

A federal grand jury on Wednesday indicted Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, his two sons and two other men in connection with a 2014 armed standoff, nearly two years after the confrontation that thrust them into the national spotlight.

The indictment of Bundy, 69, his sons Ammon and Ryan and two other men, Ryan Payne and Peter Santilli, in the Nevada standoff comes three weeks after the collapse of another armed protest over federal land management in Oregon led by the Bundy sons.

"The rule of law has been reaffirmed with these charges," U.S. Attorney for the District of Nevada Daniel Bogden said in a statement.

"Persons who use force and violence against federal law enforcement officers who are enforcing court orders, and nearly causing catastrophic loss of life or injury to others, will be brought to justice," Bogden said.

Cliven Bundy and the others are charged with conspiracy to commit an offense against the United States, assault on a federal officer, obstruction, extortion and other counts in connection with the Nevada standoff.

Cliven Bundy became the face of resistance to the federal government when he and hundreds of supporters, many armed, faced down government agents who seized his cattle over unpaid grazing fees and trespassing on public land.

Rather than risk a firefight, the agents abandoned the approximately 400 head of cattle. Bundy continued to graze the cattle illegally on public land, according to the indictment.

"Today marks a tremendous step toward ending more than 20 years of law breaking," Bureau of Land Management Director Neil Kornze said in a statement. "The nation's public lands belong to all Americans."

Ammon and Ryan Bundy and Payne and Santilli were previously arrested in connection with the recent armed protest over public lands in Oregon.

Ammon and Ryan Bundy led an armed group that took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge on Jan. 2 and stayed there for more than three weeks, calling for the release of two local ranchers convicted of burning public lands, and for the federal government to turn over public lands to local control. The Bundys and others were arrested Jan. 26, and the last four holdouts surrendered last week.

The Nevada indictment accuses the five men of playing key roles in what it called "a massive armed assault" against federal agents on April 12, 2014, to retake the seized cattle.

Ammon Bundy is accused of leading a group of around 200 armed protesters to confront the federal agents holding the cattle.

During the confrontation over the cattle, some of the protesters took up sniper positions on a bridge overlooking federal officers.

Ammon Bundy's attorney, Mike Arnold, said Wednesday, "the Nevada indictment is no surprise."

"It's important for the public to remember that there is a constitutional presumption of innocence in America, Arnold said. "A government charge is proof of nothing."

Santilli, 50, an internet radio host, allegedly broadcast messages encouraging others to come to Nevada and support the armed protest, federal prosecutors said, and helped lead what the government termed assault on officers. Payne, 32, allegedly recruited others and played a lead role in an armed assault, the government said.

The most serious charges in the Nevada indictment, interfering with interstate commerce by extortion and interstate travel in aid of extortion, carry maximum sentences of 20 years in prison each. Each man faces four counts of using and carrying a firearm in an act of violence, which carry a minimum sentence of 5 years each.

And the indictment charges allow prosecutors to seek the forfeiture of at least $3 million in property upon conviction of some of the charges.

All five are currently being held without bail at the Multnomah County Detention Center in Portland, according to jail records.

Azih

This has been handled beautifully by the FBI. I would like to take back my earlier frustrated comments about them not responding to this criminal and instigator.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/cliven_bundy_seeks_court-appoi.html

Oh man...

Nevada rancher Cliven D. Bundy asked for a court-appointed attorney as he made his first appearance Thursday in federal court following his arrest the night before at Portland International Airport.

Bundy, 69, his thinning salt-and-pepper hair slicked back, shuffled into the courtroom, chains at his ankles and wearing standard blue jail garb.

He pulled a pair of eyeglasses from a pocket of his jail shirt and spent nearly 30 minutes sitting beside an attorney, reviewing a 32-page federal complaint stemming from the 2014 standoff at his ranch northeast of Las Vegas.

Assistant federal public defender Ruben Iniguez was appointed to represent Bundy for the day but said his office couldn't continue to represent him because it represents others in the case.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Janice M. Stewart directed Bundy to present a financial affidavit to the court before a court-appointed attorney could be assigned.

"The court only appoints counsel for those who can't afford an attorney,'' Stewart said.

The federal complaint filed Thursday charges the Bundy patriarch with conspiracy to commit an offense against the United States, assault on a federal law enforcement officer, carrying a firearm in relation to a crime of violence, obstruction of justice and interference with commerce by extortion.

I actually would have thought there would be enough right wingers to foot the bill for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom