• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliven Bundy (led 2014 armed standoff at ranch) arrested by FBI in Portland, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

I've watched it all, it's very interesting and I was very surprised to learn about this Posse Comitatus law. As uneducated about these things as I am, doesn't it mean that the "sovereign citizens" actually have a legal ground? Clearly they are pushing it to the extreme, but this law as it is written would allow them obey a federal agent only if they were mandated by the state. They are being crazy and wrong in pushing away anything Federal, but there is a tiny bit of legal grounding.

The big question is: why the fuck hasn't this law been repelled?

[fake edit] To be clear, this is how I understand it: the USA government has power over the states, dictating what they can and can't do. States have the right to make their own laws as long as it doesn't go against the Federal Government negative laws and obey the positive laws. The Posse Comitatus act limits the application of these laws to the executive power of the states, aka the sheriff(?). But all that only means is that laws trickle down from the Federal Government, not that the Federal Government doesn't exists or something. This Bundy dude should have paid his taxes, but maybe they should have been collected by the state? Or maybe there is a Nevada law that says "please send your cheques directly to the Federal Government" but Bundy doesn't know about it?

There is another problem now, because the Sheriff in that clip should have gone to Bundy and arrest him, as it was his duty, not side with him. There should be a USA vs Sheriff, or USA vs Nevada trial, as clearly there was some sort of rebellion, secession here by the Sheriff whose duty was to upheld the law?

I need some education about how the USA actually work.

I've watched it all, it's very interesting and I was very surprised to learn about this Posse Comitatus law. As uneducated about these things as I am, doesn't it mean that the "sovereign citizens" actually have a legal ground? Clearly they are pushing it to the extreme, but this law as it is written would allow them obey a federal agent only if they were mandated by the state. They are being crazy and wrong in pushing away anything Federal, but there is a tiny bit of legal grounding.

The big question is: why the fuck hasn't this law been repelled?

[fake edit] To be clear, this is how I understand it: the USA government has power over the states, dictating what they can and can't do. States have the right to make their own laws as long as it doesn't go against the Federal Government negative laws and obey the positive laws. The Posse Comitatus act limits the application of these laws to the executive power of the states, aka the sheriff(?). But all that only means is that laws trickle down from the Federal Government, not that the Federal Government doesn't exists or something. This Bundy dude should have paid his taxes, but maybe they should have been collected by the state? Or maybe there is a Nevada law that says "please send your cheques directly to the Federal Government" but Bundy doesn't know about it?

There is another problem now, because the Sheriff in that clip should have gone to Bundy and arrest him, as it was his duty, not side with him. There should be a USA vs Sheriff, or USA vs Nevada trial, as clearly there was some sort of rebellion, secession here by the Sheriff whose duty was to upheld the law?

I need some education about how the USA actually work.

The Posse Comitatus Act only applies to the use of the U.S. Army (and most other branches of the armed forces), not to the federal government as a whole.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DOJ is now investigating the Sheriff.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...inked-oregon-occupiers-under-scrutiny-n541371

Glenn Palmer, the longtime sheriff of a rural Oregon county, was preparing to speak at a town hall with protesters who had been occupying a nearby federal wildlife refuge when word trickled through the crowd that something was wrong.

The news traveled fast: While en route to the meeting from the sanctuary, the protesters were stopped by state troopers and the FBI on a deserted stretch of highway. Authorities opened fire after one of the armed occupiers ran from a vehicle, fatally wounding him. It was the most dramatic moment of the 41-day occupation.

"There was sadness. There was shock. There was disbelief," said Jim Sproul, one of the more than 400 residents who packed the Jan. 26 meeting in the town of John Day.

Sproul said some residents looked to Palmer, a 54-year-old law enforcement veteran, because "if there was a threat to citizens of Grant County, he wanted to be there and know about it."

The sheriff, it turned out, had a special interest in the anti-government protest at the wildlife refuge.

The state Department of Justice opened an investigation this week into Palmer, who faces nine complaints, some from government employees, accusing him of promoting a personal agenda "over the welfare and safety of the general public he is sworn to protect."

neshcom

Banned
"Sheriff Palmer was the only sheriff in Oregon that I know of that did not allow himself to get caught up in the political deception that the people of Burns were in danger while we were at the refuge," Bundy said. "Sheriff Palmer went to the source and found the truth."
Something about Bundy supporting the one sherif who was on his side is really funny. It couldn't be more obvious and it kind of indicts the sheriff's interests in the group.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Update: Don't think it's new thread worthy though. He's suing the Government.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sues-pres-obama-harry-reid-over-cruel-n571496

Jailed cattle rancher Cliven Bundy claims President Barack Obama, Nevada Sen. Harry Reid and others have stifled his constitutional rights as he sits in solitary confinement on charges stemming from a 2014 federal standoff, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

Bundy, 70, is seeking $50 million for the "illegal, unconstitutional, intentional and malicious acts" of the defendants, and wants an indictment against him quashed and his immediate release from jail in Portland, Oregon.

Bundy added that he's been in solitary since his arrest earlier this year — which constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment," claims the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Nevada.

Bundy also wants federal Judge Gloria Navarro, named as another defendant, removed from the criminal case and for politically conservative attorney Larry Klayman to help defend him in Nevada.

The cowboy hat-wearing Bundy became a national figure — and hero in some conservative corners — when he led an armed confrontation against federal rangers over a land dispute in his home state of Nevada. The father of 14 — along with his posse of supporters — clashed with the rangers who tried to execute a court order to confiscate 500 of his cattle after they were illegally grazing on public land and he failed to pay $1 million in grazing fees.

Bundy, who has pleaded not guilty, was indicted for inciting the standoff, along with two of his sons and two others.

The complaint lays out a conspiracy against Bundy perpetrated by Obama, Reid, Navarro and Reid's son, Rory Reid, who unsuccessfully ran for Nevada governor in 2010.

Navarro "has shown her true intentions and bias and prejudice, rising to the level of denying Sixth Amendment right of counsel and to a speedy trial to (Bundy), following the 'marching orders' of her benefactors Defendant Harry Reid and Obama," according to the suit.

She is also described as a "Latino activist."

Bundy alleges Reid used "the equivalent of federal storm-troopers" against Bundy's "peaceful cowboys," and that Reid wanted Bundy gone so that he could seize his land and then sell it to the Chinese.

In the suit, Bundy also takes issue with Obama, who had alluded to the rancher in jokes that he made during the White House Correspondents' Dinner in May 2014.

Amid the standoff, Bundy drew condemnation for referring to blacks as "the Negro" in a New York Times article and suggesting that they were "happier" under slavery than under current federal subsidy programs.

The complaint says that Obama was "threatening, mocking and disparaging" Bundy just "days after (his) successful standoff."

During his correspondents' dinner monologue, Obama said: "Michelle and I watched the Olympics — we cannot believe what these folks do — death-defying feats — haven't seen somebody pull a '180' like that fast since Rand Paul disinvited that Nevada rancher from this dinner."

"As a general rule, things don't end well if the sentence starts, 'Let me tell you something I know about the negro,'" Obama continued. "You don't really need to hear the rest of it. Just a tip for you — don't start your sentence that way."

Bundy is seeking a jury trial. Reid's office and the White House did not immediately comment on the lawsuit.

The rancher was arrested in February after flying from Nevada to Portland to join his sons, who were jailed for their role leading an armed occupation at a federal wildlife reserve in Oregon.

Sons Ammon and Ryan Bundy have pleaded not guilty and face conspiracy charges along with 14 others stemming from the 41-day occupation that began Jan. 2. One armed protester was killed when federal agents stopped a caravan of the occupiers during a traffic stop,

I would like to know if he's really being kept in solitary, and what the justification for it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom