• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Russia tried to use Trump advisers to infiltrate his campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
Sources tell CNN that Russia tried to use advisers to get into Trumps campaign; Carter Page has been specifically named, and they state they don't know if Carter Page was aware that he was being used or not.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/21/politics/russia-trump-campaign-advisers-infiltrate/index.html

Washington (CNN) - The FBI gathered intelligence last summer that suggests Russian operatives tried to use Trump advisers, including Carter Page, to infiltrate the Trump campaign, according to US officials.

The new information adds to the emerging picture of how the Russians tried to influence the 2016 election, not only through email hacks and propaganda but also by trying to infiltrate the Trump orbit. The intelligence led to an investigation into the coordination of Trump's campaign associates and the Russians.
These officials made clear they don't know whether Page was aware the Russians may have been using him. Because of the way Russian spy services operate, Page could have unknowingly talked with Russian agents.

ZOONAMI

Tried to?

Manafort.

Still just waiting on the FBI to come out and say yep we have definitively corroborated the entire Steel dossier (which means we got the $ trail you dumb fuck trump).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As Trump prepared to meet with The Washington Post editorial page in March 2016, the campaign was under pressure to name national security advisers. Staffers produced a list of names for Trump to refer to, according to a US official close to the campaign. Trump mentioned Page, in part because he had a Ph.D. listed next to his name, the official said.
Tremendous.

riotous

Banned
I've always stated I think it's highly possible Trump himself was never "compromised" by Russia; I sort of HOPE not but also worry that nothing will stick to Trump himself and the GOP will brush off all the compromised members and move on.

ZOONAMI

I've always stated I think it's highly possible Trump himself was never "compromised" by Russia; I sort of HOPE not but also worry that nothing will stick to Trump himself and the GOP will brush off all the compromised members and move on.

It's going to have to come down to a Rosneft $ trail tied to Trump finances, or the Pee pee tape.

I mean he publicly asked Russia to hack his opponent right? I think that can be enough to tie him and argue that he was well aware of his ongoing relationship with his campaign and Russia.*

*if proven

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

yeah, this news makes it seem like Trump and his advisers had no idea they were being used.

Still, trump being super pro Russia is a red flag. But then again maybe Manafort was telling him to say that.

teepo

it would still be under russia and trump's best interest to have his advisers unknowingly be used by russian agents

This has me worried. The keyword is they TRIED? Are they looking to sweep it all under the rug now? Remember that DOJ lawyer just decided to quit for mysterious reasons.

yeah, this news makes it seem like Trump and his advisers had no idea they were being used.

Still, trump being super pro Russia is a red flag. But then again maybe Manafort was telling him to say that.

Forgive me if I don't buy this idea that the advisers were just unwitting buffoons. Trump I can imagine, but not the rest.

Kyzer

Banned
Wait, this seems like a step backwards. Tried to? I thought the named people were Russian operatives.

I mean theres a ton of smoke for sure but no one has literally been named as a Russian operative as of yet. Not even Manafort, Flynn, or Page. That will come at the end of the investigation.

rambis

Banned
Talking about relaxing sanctions. Undisclosed meetings with Russian diplomats. Possibly coordinating leaks of stolen documents.

Yeah they had no idea.

I just don't buy it. People need to start talking.

Surfinn

I wouldn't worry about the terminology too much. It's not like they're outright going to be announcing collusion right now. Tried implies that they could have, which is no different from what Comey said in the hearing.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, this was happening during last summer, which was when the investigation began, right?

And this is only one part of the investigation. We still have yet to learn whether or not Russia/Trump and co. worked together to undermine Hillary's campaign.

Boke1879

Yea this is still an active investigation. Right now they probably have legit evidence that they at least tried.

Like many said Manafort hasn't even been labeled a Russian agent even though everything points to that.

Got to give it up to Rachel Maddow, who's been on Carter Page's ass ever since Trump namedropped him with that list of 5 dudes giving him advice months ago.

Basically she went "who the fuck is Carter Page" along with the rest of the world, but she's done endless stories on him saying this exact same thing for months, that Page is a pretty aloof dude who Russian spies see as an easy mark.

Surfinn

Got to give it up to Rachel Maddow, who's been on Carter Page's ass ever since Trump namedropped him with that list of 5 dudes giving him advice months ago.

Basically she went "who the fuck is Carter Page" along with the rest of the world, but she's done endless stories on him saying this exact same thing for months, that Page is a pretty aloof dude who Russian spies see as an easy mark.

Seems like he's guilty as fuck in interviews. Like he should have just posted a sign on his forehead that says "I'm a treasonous asshole". That's the vibe he GIVES OFF, anyway. It will be interesting to see what comes from this, ultimately. Then there is the FISA warrant right? Don't they need some pretty damning evidence for that?

Find it hard to believe Trump isn't compromised(standard Russian Intelligence op).

Even if he isn't he has decades of business dealings with shady people from Russia(i.e. Organized crime). Not much of a stretch he'd do something like oh let's say lift sanctions with Russia for $$$.

The finale involves Pence taking over the presidency. You sure you can't wait for that?

I cannot wait for a terrible but rational President, who no one voted for, forever stained by the treasonous corruption of his predecessor, to take over, restore some basic stability to the office and then get bodied in the mid-terms.

So, yes, I'm sure.

ZOONAMI

I cannot wait for a terrible but rational President, who no one voted for, forever stained by the treasonous corruption of his predecessor, to take over, restore some basic stability to the office and then get bodied in the mid-terms.

So, yes, I'm sure.

Please Mother.

Chumly

I wouldn't be surprised if page was too fucking stupid to realize he was being used as a pawn at the time. Now with all the heat he's like o shit

Guy.brush

Getting closer to something here. Can't wait for the finale.

GhzjoRT.gif

antonz

Feels too much like a strategic leak from the White House trying to buy some space.

Our people who repeatedly met with Russians who are internationally known to be agents of the Russian Intel services etc. totally didn't know they were meeting with Russians. Could all be just a big misunderstanding that Russia wanted us elected and actively worked to that end. haha yeah guys were totally innocent

Makonero

So, yes, I'm sure.

I can't wait for this glorious day

Kyzer

Banned

So, yes, I'm sure.

me and you have different ideas about Pence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom