• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Russia tried to use Trump advisers to infiltrate his campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

He's been very diligently pointing out how nothing is news or true for a couple of months now.

I sometimes wonder if they think convincing a few game forum posters nothing is true, will somehow make the investigation go away.

I've seen them eventually try to play it off as cynicism as a result of never seeing things go right, but I'm getting skeptical of that more and more. Eventually it's clear they want something to not happen rather than fear that it won't.

Gutek

I've seen them eventually try to play it off as cynicism as a result of never seeing things go right, but I'm getting skeptical of that more and more. Eventually it's clear they want something to not happen rather than fear that it won't.

You couldn't be more off. I want Trump gone now. I'm actually leaving the country because of Trump, once my visa goes through. I just don't believe this Russia story is going to stick, unless they have direct evidence of some kind of quid pro quo involving Trump directly.

Honestly, there is enough non-Russia stuff to impeach Trump with already. Repubs are just the worst people in America. No spine, no morals, no ethics, no nothing. Just corporate interests.

Pomerlaw

I just hope all this won't lead to even more problems for the US Russia relation... We don't want to end up in a real situation were politicians from both countries they don'T even talk to each other because everyone gets suspicious. This can lead to a really bad place.

KHarvey16

You couldn't be more off. I want Trump gone now. I'm actually leaving the country because of Trump, once my visa goes through. I just don't believe this Russia story is going to stick, unless they have direct evidence of some kind of quid pro quo involving Trump directly.

Honestly, there is enough non-Russia stuff to impeach Trump with already. Repubs are just the worst people in America. No spine, no morals, no ethics, no nothing. Just corporate interests.

I think you're now invested in nothing happening so it's important to your worldview and your plans that nothing does happen.

RDreamer

I've always stated I think it's highly possible Trump himself was never "compromised" by Russia; I sort of HOPE not but also worry that nothing will stick to Trump himself and the GOP will brush off all the compromised members and move on.

It's possible, and I'd probably say that's even likely. I really doubt there's some big smoking gun of him directly talking about interference or anything to the Russians.

Thing is, if the Russian connections and push was so freakishly obvious to us then he had to have known he was being used and it's not like he wasn't going along with whatever they seem to want. That's where my issue with it all is. He's either the biggest most colossally fucking dense moron in the entire universe to not see it or he saw it and didn't give a shit... or he's directly compromised. None of these is good for a president.

Gutek

It's possible, and I'd probably say that's even likely. I really doubt there's some big smoking gun of him directly talking about interference or anything to the Russians.

Thing is, if the Russian connections and push was so freakishly obvious to us then he had to have known he was being used and it's not like he wasn't going along with whatever they seem to want. That's where my issue with it all is. He's either the biggest most colossally fucking dense moron in the entire universe to not see it or he saw it and didn't give a shit... or he's directly compromised. None of these is good for a president.

The crazy thing is: There actually is. He asked the Russians on national TV to hack Hillary. Nothing matters to republicans. Nothing. That alone should've ended Trump. There is no stopping this crazy train.

RDreamer

The crazy thing is: There actually is. He asked the Russians on national TV to hack Hillary. Nothing matters to republicans. Nothing. That alone should've ended Trump. There is no stopping this crazy train.

Eh, that's really not quite the same. I mean, it was dumb, and a possible president doing that is ridiculous but it's just not the same as organized collusion like people think may have happened.

It kind of does point to what I was talking about though. He was making a dumb joke, but at that point if he didn't see what was going on with Russia then he's the biggest moron in the goddamned world and if he did then he did indeed use it to his own good, just not in a way that's really impeachable or that anyone gives a fuck about.

Gutek

Eh, that's really not quite the same. I mean, it was dumb, and a possible president doing that is ridiculous but it's just not the same as organized collusion like people think may have happened.

It kind of does point to what I was talking about though. He was making a dumb joke, but at that point if he didn't see what was going on with Russia then he's the biggest moron in the goddamned world and if he did then he did indeed use it to his own good, just not in a way that's really impeachable or that anyone gives a fuck about.

It's crazy how much Trump has skewed people's perception of what is acceptable. This is not acceptable, not even as a joke.

Kyzer

Banned

Not nearly the same. Colluding with a foreign state for the us presidency and illegally hacking and exchanging that info and making deals ...

Anyway, there's still quite a bit of evidence that has not been revealed to us.
C9-SALTXgAAJd_6.jpg:large

It's crazy how much Trump has skewed people's perception of what is acceptable. This is not acceptable, not even as a joke.

What's a little assassination request between honorable opponents?

Kyzer

Banned
Just imaging there was an email that Trump sent to Putin:

"Hey Vladi,

Could you please hack Hillary for me? That would be bigly!

Trump"

You don't think that is reason enough to impeach?

Wishing that Hillarys info would be leaked or encouraging russia to do so during a press conference in washington is very different than Trump directly contacting Putin and asking him to do it. If there was an email like you just wrote it would be impeachable for sure

Gutek

Wishing that Hillarys info would be leaked or encouraging russia to do so during a press conference in washington is very different than Trump directly contacting Putin and asking him to do it. If there was an email like you just wrote it would be impeachable for sure

It's the fucking same. The press conference is just way more careless.

So to those more knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts of these issues, if we were to essentially give every benefit of every doubt to Trump but assume almost the worst of some of the other people on his campaign/cabinet, is that enough to impeach him?

For instance, let's say several people are found to have worked to benefit either Russia specifically or indirectly by promoting Russian ideas in exchange for money, or political capital. People like Carter Paige, Paul Manofort, Eric Paige, etc. Let's assume it's true that diplomats from other countries are indirectly or directly bribing people through donations for the inaugural address or overpaying for Trump owned property through hard to trace LLC's.

As hard as it is to imagine, let's assume the laws Trunp has broken are "more benign" than the many outright treasonous possibilities that exist such as violating the emoluments clause. If it's found that his campaign team and cabinet is rife with corruption and Russian stools, is that enough for him to be impeached?

Kyzer

Banned
It's the fucking same. The press conference is just way more careless.

Its literally not the same because were talking about the law and details matter. Theres no such thing as "basically" the same in law, its all technical and semantic.

Contacting putin directly by itself is already different. Even not asking him for anything.

Gutek

Its literally not the same because were talking about the law and details matter. Theres no such thing as "basically" the same in law, its all technical and semantic.

Contacting putin directly by itself is already different. Even not asking him for anything.

Impeachment is not a matter of law.

RDreamer

So to those more knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts of these issues, if we were to essentially give every benefit of every doubt to Trump but assume almost the worst of some of the other people on his campaign/cabinet, is that enough to impeach him?

For instance, let's say several people are found to have worked to benefit either Russia specifically or indirectly by promoting Russian ideas in exchange for money, or political capital. People like Carter Paige, Paul Manofort, Eric Paige, etc. Let's assume it's true that diplomats from other countries are indirectly or directly bribing people through donations for the inaugural address or overpaying for Trump owned property through hard to trace LLC's.

As hard as it is to imagine, let's assume the laws Trunp has broken are "more benign" than the many outright treasonous possibilities that exist such as violating the emoluments clause. If it's found that his campaign team and cabinet is rife with corruption and Russian stools, is that enough for him to be impeached?

It depends on public sentiment. Literally anything is impeachable. It just wouldn't be political feasible to impeach someone for something that doesn't have the American public fucking angry.

RCSI

Is he fucking stupid?!

Between the Politico article on him last year and TV interviews, he's either a deep undercover double agent or a useful idiot (as an unkowing spy/package runner). His involvement in Russian business over his career might easily serve his world view of fostering positive US-Russian relationships.

Though my developing conspiracy/entertainment side has started to think he is a double-agent working for the FBI/CIA.

Kyzer

Banned
Impeachment is not a matter of law.

Sure it is, there is still a trial. He doesnt have to commit a crime but it still has to be a legal impeachment. The fact that he can just get away with saying it was a joke and that he was still a candidate means it wont stick in court proceedings. Its not nearly as big a deal as youre saying it is, which is why he hasnt faced a single consequence.

Now if the FBI churned up evidence to support the claim that Trump committed a crime when he did that, then we can talk about how that situation might lead to impeachment.

I know it wasn't really used in this article but I really hate the phrase, "Hacked the election" This wasn't about the Russians delegitimizing our ballot process, but more about the american people being dumb enough to fall for fake news links on facebook that the Russians kept pushing, and the bad timing of the "Emails" and the public believing that actually mattered to Clinton's integrity

I'm more upset with the citizenry then Trump about this whole mess
Am I missing something blatant here?

RPGCrazied

Listening to Carter Page on CNN just now(old interview), he sounds so guilty. Just from his body language you can tell.

RDreamer

I know it wasn't really used in this article but I really hate the phrase, "Hacked the election" This wasn't about the Russians delegitimizing our ballot process, but more about the american people being dumb enough to fall for fake news links on facebook that the Russians kept pushing, and the bad timing of the "Emails" and the public believing that actually mattered to Clinton's integrity

I'm more upset with the citizenry then Trump about this whole mess
Am I missing something blatant here?

"Hacked the election" isn't talking just about fake news bullshit. It's talking about hacking one of the two candidates and then having all that data posted publicly.

Arkage

Banned
I actually find this news pretty deflating. To me it means they only really have dirty on Carter Page, and even to that extent they can't prove he was intentionally acting on Russia behalf.

A big ball of nothing, once again.

KHarvey16

I actually find this news pretty deflating. To me it means they only really have dirty on Carter Page, and even to that extent they can't prove he was intentionally acting on Russia behalf.

A big ball of nothing, once again.

This is a story about intelligence from last summer. If you think this is all they have you haven't been following.

Got to give it up to Rachel Maddow, who's been on Carter Page's ass ever since Trump namedropped him with that list of 5 dudes giving him advice months ago.

Basically she went "who the fuck is Carter Page" along with the rest of the world, but she's done endless stories on him saying this exact same thing for months, that Page is a pretty aloof dude who Russian spies see as an easy mark.

Yeah she has been doing solid work with this. But, of course, since she flubbed on that tax return stuff she's on the level of Info Wars and Alex Jones according to some here

"Hacked the election" isn't talking just about fake news bullshit. It's talking about hacking one of the two candidates and then having all that data posted publicly.
I seriously can't remember that they hacked Clinton. I know about the DNC crap but Clinton? What did they hack?

Arkage

Banned
This is a story about intelligence from last summer. If you think this is all they have you haven't been following.

It could literally be all they have as far as direct links to Russia.

Part of the problem for investigators has been that they lost their opportunity to conduct the investigation in secret after several leaks last year revealed FBI was looking at people close to the Trump campaign. After those reports, people that the US was monitoring changed their behavior, which made it more difficult for US officials to monitor them.

NimbusD

This has me worried. The keyword is they TRIED? Are they looking to sweep it all under the rug now? Remember that DOJ lawyer just decided to quit for mysterious reasons.

Yeah, honestly with comey in charge of things I don't really have any hope for something coming out of this stuff. He ran to the hilltops about those emails it was fucking insane how he did that even without everything else happening with Trump. But then to just be completely silent about this whole investigation while it was happening the whole election. Blows my mind.

KingV

I think they are Russian trolls/Pepe's. I'm not bullshitting. I see it all over Dkos too. People just stirring shif to get liberals mad at each other/distracted. I actually now think that a lot of Bernie Bro posters and Hillbot posters on liberal blogsduring the primary were also trolls.

KingV

Sure it is, there is still a trial. He doesnt have to commit a crime but it still has to be a legal impeachment. The fact that he can just get away with saying it was a joke and that he was still a candidate means it wont stick in court proceedings. Its not nearly as big a deal as youre saying it is, which is why he hasnt faced a single consequence.

Now if the FBI churned up evidence to support the claim that Trump committed a crime when he did that, then we can talk about how that situation might lead to impeachment.

This isn't true. They don't have to like find a statute to impeach him under. They can just make up reasons. There aren't really any Supreme Court cases that limit impeachment power. "High crimes and misdemeanors", in its original usage basically just means "for whatever reason deemed appropriate" and covers "crimes" that aren't necessarily written down, like being dangerous to the state, appointing idiots, not doing your job, conduct unbecoming of the position, or violating your oath of office.

Most of these are not probably crimes, as in there is nothing written down anywhere for the FBI to investigate "being a shitty president".

KingV

The trial can literally just be 67 voters voting, 'Aye, he's guilty'. There are no truly binding rules around how impeachment works, or how the "trial" works. For Clinton, the Senate literally passed the rules on how the trial like 2 days before the trial convened. I suppose those same rules might still be in effect, but I'm actually not even sure that the resolution was written in a way to apply to more than just that one instance.

Edit: just realized I replied to this same post twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom