• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Championship Tournament of Refreshment (FIFA 09, XBOX)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
314732q.png

Top Scorers
1. 2 S. Ebanks-Blake (Wolves)
2. 2 K. Henry (Wolves)

Here's how it works (you can start playing games now, and your round one games have to be in by next wednesday):
-Play your opponent best 2/3. You can do top person is home, then away, then home, but it really doesn't matter, you can do all home all away and just rematch straightaway too.
-6-minute halves.
-OT counts, winner of OT is winner of game.
-Write down score and goalscorers after each game. The winner of the round then comes here and posts the results like so:
Game 1
Tf53 / Sheffield Wednesday 2 (Goals: Kobe Jones 68', Claudio Reyna 90')
N.A / Nottingham Forest 1 (Goal: Cuahoctemocxtzl Blanco 1')

Game 2: [Excetera]

Game 3 [If needed]: [Excetera]
If you lose, you will go to the loser's bracket and have another match there. No one is out until they have lost a round in the main bracket and then a round in the loser's bracket, so be sure to stick around.

This sounds good. Few questions mate.

• Am I facing SmokingBarrel?
  • If it's best out of 3 matches, do we post all 2 (or 3) results or just who won?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meus Renaissance said:
This sounds good. Few questions mate.

• Am I facing SmokingBarrel?
  • If it's best out of 3 matches, do we post all 2 (or 3) results or just who won?
Yep, you're against smokingbarrel. Instead of messing around with matchups I just went straight down your sign-up list and matched people up that way. It'll look cleaner once I'm home and can put up an image of the real bracket.

Winner of the round posts all the results:
Game 1
Tf53 / Sheffield Wednesday 2 (Goals: Kobe Jones 68', Claudio Reyna 90')
N.A / Nottingham Forest 1 (Goal: Cuahoctemocxtzl Blanco 1')

Game 2
Tf53 / Sheffield Wednesday 0
N.A / Nottingham Forest 0
PKs
Sheffield Wednesday 5
Nottingham Forest 4

Game 3 [If needed]: [Excetera]

Other big things to remember are that games have SIX-MINUTE HALVES, and OT/PKs count (no ties)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Let's try to play tonight if you can Daig--gonna be out of town over the weekend. I'm sure we'll be the first (only?) series done anyway but hey. :lol

Funny how much people whine for a league/tournament and then as soon as someone puts the work in to start one up (in this case Meus, I just slapped this together from what was started there) everyone just disappears. :lol :lol

I'm available all day every day. I'm scheduled to play someone at 5pm EST today. We can do later on in the evening or whatever works best for you. Send me a FR on live too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ggs dood as always

Game 1
Daigoro / Ipswich 1 (Goal: P. Counago 82')
AstroLad / Wolves 4 (Goals: K. Henry 45', 45'; S. Ebanks-Blake 67', 82')

Game 2
Daigoro / Ipswich 1 (Goal: J. Walters 74')
AstroLad / Wolves 2 (Goals: C. Iwelumo 72'; D. Jones 88' (PK))

Where did this come from?

To Meus Renaissance : I am available to play today (Friday) and Sunday. I will not be able to play on Saturday, and I will be gone from Sunday night, to next Sunday. Let me know when you can play. I will try to be off and on XBL throughout today.

::EDIT::
Alright, checked the other thread, all caught up. Sorry to hear that Meus Renaissance. Good luck with your academics, I feel your pain.

Hit me up when/if you play. Again, I cannot play on Saturday, my sister has her HS grad party.

SmokingBarrelX said:
Where did this come from?

To Meus Renaissance : I am available to play today (Friday) and Sunday. I will not be able to play on Saturday, and I will be gone from Sunday night, to next Sunday. Let me know when you can play. I will try to be off and on XBL throughout today.

Alright, checked the other thread, all caught up. Sorry to hear that Meus Renaissance. Good luck with your academics, I feel your pain.

Hit me up when/if you play. Again, I cannot play on Saturday, my sister has her HS grad party.

I'll play you in about an hour or so.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Everyone please remember this is a double-elimination tourney, so even if you lose come back to see what your next matchup is. No one is out until they've lost two rounds.

Your are a prince, AstroLad.

Meus Renaissance, how late are you going to be up, the television my Xbox 360 is hooked up to is currently occupied. I could kick my brother off, but I would rather not. Let me know.

SmokingBarrelX said:
Your are a prince, AstroLad.

Meus Renaissance, how late are you going to be up, the television my Xbox 360 is hooked up to is currently occupied. I could kick my brother off, but I would rather not. Let me know.

Well I'm up until 4pm West Coast time. Come on man, lets play nowwwwwwwww :lol I've been waiting for you from the moment I posted here earlier. By the way, do you have an Instant Messenger program or something so we can stay in contact outside Gaf?

woodchuck

just a heads up, from prior leagues, i found the easiest way to play the games is to schedule them at a specific date and time instead of "i'll be around for the next two hours. let's play"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
just a heads up, from prior leagues, i found the easiest way to play the games is to schedule them at a specific date and time instead of "i'll be around for the next two hours. let's play"
def def

fyi to the folks that i presume are quietly reading this thread:
all round 1 games (winner's/top bracket) have to be played by next wednesday. if people haven't shown up or played i'll just dq them.

all round 2 games (top bracket round 2, loser's bracket round 1) have to be played by the following wednesday.

and so forth.

teebs33

Neo Member
Good series striKeVillain! It was very close each game.

Game 1
Teebs33 / Watford 1 (Goal: D. Cowie 90')
striKeVillain! / Sheffield United 0

Game 2
Teebs33 / Watford 1 (Goal: T. Smith 61')
striKeVillain! / Sheffield United 2 (Goals: B. Sharp 43', B. Sharp 49')

Game 3
Teebs33 / Watford 1 (Goal: J.Harley 15')
striKeVillain! / Sheffield United 0

Game 1

SmokingBarrelX / QPR 1 (Goal: D. Blackstock 83')
Meus Renaissance / Cardiff City 0

ColumbiaSoccerRiot456.jpg

Game 2

Meus Renaissance / Cardiff City 2 (or was it 3?) (Goal. O. Quincy 39', E. Johnson 75')
SmokingBarrelX / QPR 1 (Goal: W. Routledge 63)

Game 3

Meus Renaissance / Cardiff City 3 (Goal. O. Quincy 39', E. Johnson 75', 84')
SmokingBarrelX / QPR 1 (Goal: P. Argyemang 34')

040515_southafrica_hmed.hmedium.jpg

k0ji-wd

Two games done, though cjelly went offline so we couldn't play the decider. I think he was feeling the PRESSURE :lol

Game 1

Bristol City 3 (k0ji-wd) vs. Reading 0 (cjelly)

MOTM: S Johnson (Bristol City)

Goals:
S. John (32, 79)
N. Maynard (51)

Reading 3 (cjelly) vs. Bristol City 1 (k0ji-wd)

MOTM: K Cisse

Goals:
M. Duberry (4)
K. Doyle (22)
N. Maynard (30)
K. Doyle (64)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good job gettin' some games in guys. Just a reminder that the rest of the top bracket Round 1 games (tf53 vs. NA; grkazan vs. foofighter; i guess cjelly vs. koji game 3?) are to be played by Wednesday. I'll update the bracket then.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Since you already played your Round 1 game, just try to schedule your Round 2 game so that you can play it hopefully by that Wednesday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Moundir&Tony>you said:
so I gotta play this week right?
Won't be available until thursday :)
perfect, since you have a bye--top bracket round 2 (which you're in) goes from (this) wed.-(next) wed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
definitely getting a sense of deja vu with some of the absent members. and to anyone not planning on playing their games yes i do keep a detailed spreadsheet that will be referenced when the fifa 10 leagues start up.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TSE88, I'll hit you up next time I see you online, as you're on my friends list.

TBH, I forgot and this thread wasn't in my subscribed threads, either. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
one more day to play your games, then we start round 2 tomorrow (last day to play round 1, first day to play round 2)

Maybe we should go take our league concept to the official EA FIFA Forum? There is a sub-category there with many leagues and members. It's disappointing at the lack of real interest the league gets here at GAF

If anyone wants to play me, just send me a message on LIVE - I'm available

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol nah that place is a cesspool. This is nothing but a little mini, mini tournament way late into the game's lifecycle so the amount of interest is right on par (also the sign ups weren't posted in the gaming forum)--could easily have gotten 10+ more people but more people leads to more headaches. We had 32 for the initial FIFA 09 league and a full 14 for the MLS league (with a big waitlist). I mean counting tournaments this is like our fifth or six competition for FIFA 09. Doubt any forums outside of dedicated FIFA or soccer forums could even come close.

Come FIFA 10 though I'm going to be picky and maybe do a smaller 16-person league excluding the people who have bailed on previous leagues (and their numbers grow all the time) and giving the priority to diehards, of which we have a solid group of at least ten or so right now. (note: diehards=people who have completed a full league, people who don't have to be constantly bugged to play their games, and bonus points to people who actually post in the league threads more than twice (though not necessary under my loose definition of 'diehard').

If you really do want a big blowout league you'll either have to wait for FIFA 10 (when I guarantee 30+ people will sign up although only 20 or so will truly follow through) or I guess maybe try out the EA forums (at your own risk).

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
Maybe we should go take our league concept to the official EA FIFA Forum? There is a sub-category there with many leagues and members.

:lol

It's summer and we've already had 3 leagues. i think most people are just waiting for Fifa 10 to come out.

Tf53

N.A said:
I have no idea if tf53 will be able to play tommorrow.
Hi guys, I'm glad to be back home. I missed my 360, I missed GAF, I missed my grill... That said, it was a really relaxing honeymoon.

NA, if you're around tomorrow, I'm good to play in the evening after 5pm GMT. I might be around during the day as well, so let me know if that suits you better.

N.A

Banned
Sure, I'll be on in the afternoon and in the evening so I'm sure we'll meet.

Glad you had a nice honeymoon.

k0ji-wd

cjelly said:
TSE88, I'll hit you up next time I see you online, as you're on my friends list.

TBH, I forgot and this thread wasn't in my subscribed threads, either. :lol

cool man, i'll be on in a few hours, sorry i wasn't on the last few days, been in the air, and just now getting over jet lag.

Meus Renaissance said:
Maybe we should go take our league concept to the official EA FIFA Forum? There is a sub-category there with many leagues and members. It's disappointing at the lack of real interest the league gets here at GAF

If anyone wants to play me, just send me a message on LIVE - I'm available

you missed the first few leagues with countless page threads and unbridled enthusiasm!

i'm pretty sure there'll be more players than spots for the first league after FIFA 10 comes out.

N.A

Banned
Nottingham Forest 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday
Nathan Tyson x1

Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 2 Nottingham Forest

Robert Earnshaw x2
Tudgay x1

tf53 missed a sitter in the 89th minute in the second game :D

Top Bottom