• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

therapist

h0pper said:
asked this in the other thread, but I'll ask here now:

does anyone know if the mp on PC must be played on dedicated servers? Or can you choose to host games to play privately with friends?

Pretty sure i read that you can start your own non-ded server.
I wouldnt expect XP or wager matches in that fashion though tbh

GCQuinton said:
It's an Activision game, so expect them to show up on release day next Tuesday unless somebody's got an exclusive or something.
yeah, feared for something like this. No biggy. I got it pre-ordered. You can tell it's quality stuff allready.

ZZMitch

I am purchasing the PC version :D

Awesome OP though, but it should have been Once You Go Black, You Never Go Back :lol

CiSTM

Banned
Attack Dogs ? NOOOOOO! I hated these bastards in W@W :lol Woof, woof, and you are dead :_( But yeah, this game will kill my social life for months. Online is bound to be fun and if the zombie mod is half as good as nazi zombie then i'm in heaven.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
therapist said:
Pretty sure i read that you can start your own non-ded server.
I wouldnt expect XP or wager matches in that fashion though tbh

hmm ok. that doesn't sound all bad.

I actually need to really reign in my excitement for this game. I have the feeling it's going to be fantastic, but then again I thought MW2 would be awesome and admittedly I still play it but there are a lot of low points in that game versus mostly highs in COD4.

There's definitely some things in this game that make me feel nervous...I can already see the RC cars will become annoying *real* quick. Still will play the hell out of this game. I always get my money's worth when it comes to the Call of Duty series.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have the X360 version reserved, but I am concerned about the player pool online. The COD community can really be difficult to play with at times. I hope the GAF community can form a cohesive group.

Sethos

Banned
Nice thread!

For anyone who's completed the campaign, could you give me some advice here?

I'm at rebirth island, doing the sneaking-sequence. You kill the first guy with the scripted melee event, you sneak past the first row of containers and then sprint across the yard to a little house / barrack of sorts. It's there he KEEPS saying "You've been spotted" after 10-15 seconds - Even when I'm behind him, hidden in the shadows doing NOTHING! Tried opposite of him, other side of the house, staying behind the containers etc. I'm CONSTANTLY spotted and it's now ruining my general view of the campaign ... Funny thing is, there's not a person around and the helicopter isn't even closed when I'm "spotted" - Even tried restarting the game and level.

Veritas_

Kabuki Waq said:
any pc benchmarks up?
I am also curious to see this. MW2 runs great, but WaW forces smoke edge smoothing on, and with the gratuitous amounts of smoke in the game, I get some un-avoidable framerate hiccups.

Also, going to get PC version regardless.

U2NUMB

DenogginizerOS said:
I have the X360 version reserved, but I am concerned about the player pool online. The COD community can really be difficult to play with at times. I hope the GAF community can form a cohesive group.

One thing I have always enjoyed about COD online compared to other games. If you have no friends online you can always go into Mercenary TDM and not worry about the other team having a stacked team full of friends. This make sa huge difference.

I hope they have this playlist back.

Hanmik said:
nice OP.. (except for the fact that you PROMISED me.. :D )...

so when can we expect the mappacks..? :lol

Yeah, I changed my mind when I saw support for the other title, which I preferred. Nothing personal! :lol

I actually considered "Once You Go Black You Never Go Back," but I didn't want the title to be too long! Plus the wager match connection was good enough for me to stick with the current title.

Bumblebeetuna said:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never set foot in the online forum. If you want to start the online thread, be my guest and I'll link to it at the top of the OP.

Hanmik

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, I changed my mind when I saw support for the other title, which I preferred. Nothing personal! :lol

I actually considered "Once You Go Black You Never Go Back," but I didn't want the title to be too long! Plus the wager match connection was good enough for me to stick with the current title.

I like the title... nothing personal. :D You have done your job well young padawan.

I cannot wait to pop this monster of a game into my PS3. Going to enjoy Singleplayer first, and then venture onto the crazy Online fields on my PS3..

divisionbyzorro said:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never set foot in the online forum. If you want to start the online thread, be my guest and I'll link to it at the top of the OP.

Nah I meant is the arcade zombie game playable in co-op online.

Ferny

Good to see the dog killstreak is back in. It was one of my favorites back in WaW. Overall the game sounds a bit more balanced which is a good thing because I felt like MW2 was all over the place.

Najaf

Hanmik said:
I cannot wait to pop this monster of a game into my PS3. Going to enjoy Singleplayer first, and then venture onto the crazy Online fields on my PS3..

You know, that's what I did with MW2 but this time around I don't think I will be able to hold out. I figure the knowledge when I get home from the midnight launch that all my friends are sitting there ranking up without me will be enough to edge me into the multiplayer right away.

Hanmik said:
I like the title... nothing personal. :D You have done your job well young padawan.

I'm actually going to a weekender bachelor party right after this game comes out. Fortunately my host has an XBox. I intend to pack my Turtle Beaches, Black Ops, and play through the night while everyone sleeps. :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Really surprised it's taken so long for someone to add Gun Game to their game, not sure if I'll pick this up. At £35 it's a little too expensive, and I only enjoyed MW2 for annoying people with grenades etc.

I almost made plans with the wife for Sat. night the 13th. I had to check my calender and there it was "Sorry honey it's the first weekend of the new Call of Duty". She took it well.:lol

Hanmik

Najaf said:
You know, that's what I did with MW2 but this time around I don't think I will be able to hold out. I figure the knowledge when I get home from the midnight launch that all my friends are sitting there ranking up without me will be enough to edge me into the multiplayer right away.

getting the edge on me because I do not go online right away..? ha and ha and ha..
I have played MW2 for 24 days (according to my statistics). And I´m level 61 8th prestige. I do not care that 20 people on my friendlist are 10th prestige level 70. Or that they can kick my ass with a broom stick as a controller.. (I am 35 so my reflexes SUCK :D )...

There is only one thing I want from this game... FUN

Cod4 Hanmik Had TONS of fun in singleplayer first (for the short time it lasted), and even more fun online.
WaW Hanmik had extreme fun in singleplayer, but not so much Online.. WWW-theme and weapons didn´t catch me..
MW2.Hanmik Loved the singleplayer for the short amount of time it lasted. Music, graphics, over-the-top scenes and everything.. Still enjoying the multiplayer part of this game.

i hope this trend continues with Black Ops. And reading this OP and watching footage of the game, makes me think so.!

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm actually going to a weekender bachelor party right after this game comes out. Fortunately my host has an XBox. I intend to pack my Turtle Beaches, Black Ops, and play through the night while everyone sleeps

I can see why YOU made this OT..! :lol have fun... enjoy the game, as much as we have enjoyed writing about it..!

Najaf

So, after those initial multiplayer level walkthroughs from the old thread, what does everyone speculate to be a rough favorite three? Overall, the maps seem to be really impressive. My favorites so far:

Nuketown
Havana
Jungle

Jubbly

With no Hardened edition on PC how are we expected to get the extra NZ maps? Paid DLC some time in the future? :(

Top Bottom