• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Ballistik

AnEternalEnigma said:
I did it. For the first time ever, I maxed out a Prestige in a Call of Duty game. Hit 15th Prestige level 50 today. And I have considerably less time on this game than MW2.
Definitely easier to max out in Black Ops. Did 10th prestige in MW2 with 16 days played. Meanwhile, I'm close to 5 days in Black Ops and I'm 7th prestige.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Magnus said:
My buddy, who's a huge CoD fan and knows I'm an avid GAF poster wanted me to post this here for him, for all the BlOps fans to see. His costume this past weekend at FanExpo. Please turn into a meme, as appropriate.

311606_10150938876380001_666900000_20639586_6918631_n.jpg

I saw him there

Effect

Finally spent some time playing the Modern Warfare series. Took advantage of the Steam sale last weekend. While enjoyable I do prefer how Black Ops more. I didn't really believe the difference would be that noticeable, at least for me, but it was. I was surprised. BO just clicks more with me. The speed it runs and the maps (think they are far better in BO). I think I might pick up World at War sometime soon to see how that is. Finally understanding how games from both developers feel has made me not want to rush out to get Modern Warfare 3. I'll just wait for it to drop in price just so I can see where the single player story goes. I'm more looking forward to what Treyarch will do next in the end.

Does anyone find that getting the map packs on the PC side is pointless? I picked up First Strike a few weeks ago but have yet to find a server in the US that has it active.Plenty of servers with the base game though.

Effect said:
I think I might pick up World at War sometime soon to see how that is.

For me, WaW is the best game in the series. Has a bit of variety in multi-player with tanks, the best maps of the entire COD sphere, isn't afraid to throw in vast, sprawling maps for long-distance combat and is the most solidly built core gameplay of the series.

You won't be disappointed. It's the little brother of Red Orchestra on consoles.

Hey You

Its too bad that the Mercenary Playlist isn't that populated, I enjoy playing objective and when I do not have friends to play with I head into the playlist and notice it hanging under 700 each time on. Did it have a higher population near launch?

kuYuri

Hey You said:
Its too bad that the Mercenary Playlist isn't that populated, I enjoy playing objective and when I do not have friends to play with I head into the playlist and notice it hanging under 700 each time on. Did it have a higher population near launch?

Yep, I noticed this today while watching someone play. The Mercenary and Express playlists are not as populated, although it's also late where I am.

I have to imagine population for this game is dwindling as time passes and newer games come out.

JonCha

Is everyone playing Black Ops now? I've been playing MW2, but there doesn't seem to be a big community for that here now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
JonCha said:
Is everyone playing Black Ops now? I've been playing MW2, but there doesn't seem to be a big community for that here now.

There was upwards of 500K people playing Black Ops on the PS3 this last weekend. Still there is usually about 50K playing MW2 which is pretty good for a game that has been out nearly 2 years.

Hey You

Strider2K99 said:
Yep, I noticed this today while watching someone play. The Mercenary and Express playlists are not as populated, although it's also late where I am.

I have to imagine population for this game is dwindling as time passes and newer games come out.
Yeah, but the game is still #1 on XBL activity charts. Hmm oh well, atleast I can find matches sometimes.

I've seen the BO playlists populated by as little as 2500 and about as high 10,000 these days. I can still typically find an Aussie game though, so that's not too bad considering the game is 3 years old.

Effect

Kermit The Dog said:
For me, WaW is the best game in the series. Has a bit of variety in multi-player with tanks, the best maps of the entire COD sphere, isn't afraid to throw in vast, sprawling maps for long-distance combat and is the most solidly built core gameplay of the series.

You won't be disappointed. It's the little brother of Red Orchestra on consoles.

Sounds pretty good. Might be getting it this weekend if I come across it in the store. Don't want to sit through another long download on DSL. If not then I'll just order it from Amazon.com. Are the map packages still purchasable for it or were they made available to everyone in patch like Modern Warfare 1?

Is the online still active on the PC side?

Effect said:
Sounds pretty good. Might be getting it this weekend if I come across it in the store. Don't want to sit through another long download on DSL. If not then I'll just order it from Amazon.com. Are the map packages still purchasable for it or were they made available to everyone in patch like Modern Warfare 1?

Is the online still active on the PC side?

Game is terrible, don't waste your money.

cuevas said:
Game is terrible, don't waste your money.

Effect, this guy has never played it. He lied, said he did, then I proved he never had. He's still mad about it. He's just a troll with nothing better to do. Ignore him.

Anyway, in answer to your questions:

1. The maps are still purchasable, at half price I think.

2. Can't be sure but last I heard there was a dedicated group of players still active. You should have no problems.

You'll love it mate.

9/13/2011
(Title Update 13)

• Security Updates.
• Addressed an issue where Custom Private Match settings were carrying over to Public matches.
• Prohibited clan tags can no longer be used.
• A player’s win streak will now break if they quit out during a live match.
• Players that are partied up are no longer allowed to go into party-restricted lobbies such as FFA.
• Fixed a rare issue with Recent Games not showing the correct heat map.
• Addressed an exploit copying another player’s emblem/playercard.

Hey guys, what's the highest legit amount of COD points you have seen somebody have?

I have 14mill and im wondering if anybody has any better.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
How on earth would you have 14m CoD points?

I've only earnt 3.3m total and I've got something like 15 days playtime. I also do contracts constantly.

Stantron

Things from BO I will miss in MW3:
Decoys - useful in the right situations
Crossbow - fun to use
Flamethrower - fun to use
Blackbird - advanced UAV not the same
Dive to prone - fun to use, still don't understand why they would not include this
Custom emblem - even though most are bad, some are really creative
Lack of quick scoping - coming from someone who likes to snipe

Things I will NOT miss (hopefully):
Shitty hit detection and net code

popeutlal

Hit the select button on the multiplayer menu and choose local search preference. That'll give you much better ping times and smoother online play.

Magic Ovaries said:
Hit the select button on the multiplayer menu and choose local search preference. That'll give you much better ping times and smoother online play.

That doesn't address Black Ops' hit-detection issues. MW2 is definitely superior in that aspect.

Treyarch removing stopping power only enhanced these hit-detection issues. They could have alleviated the issue by making the bullets do more damage by default, but they never did.

zychi

Banned
welp, had my old gt banned a few weeks ago for some bullshit marketplace theft thing(internet tells me because i "upgraded" my hardended edition with the new map release)

and i own the games on demand version, and now it wont let me play it with my newly forced upon me tag.

it was fun while it lasted blops, but i'm retiring from cod games now that gears is coming out tuesday, once i'm done with that. i'm done with xbox and am strictly a pc/ps3 guy.

maybe ill get mw3 on steam of ps3, but its doubtful with gears,bf3 and uncharted 3 coming this year.

4+days of gametime on blops. my most played console game with a timer. it was fun while it lasted.

Ryck

cuevas said:
When it takes half a bullet to get a kill its easy to hide.
That is bs.. even if I use an ACR without Stopping Power it still has better hit detection.

Don't get me wrong I love Blops but come on now don't lie to defend it..

Ryck said:
That is bs.. even if I use an ACR without Stopping Power it still has better hit detection.

Don't get me wrong I love Blops but come on now don't lie to defend it..

Don't bother fighting it, the guy only has the mental capacity to post one sentence smart-arse replies that lack substance or logic.

BO's hit detection is decidedly inferior to MW2, and I hate MW2 with a passion. I even notice a difference going back and forth between BO and WaW. It's possibly something to do with Theater Mode.

XeroSauce

Kermit The Dog said:
Don't bother fighting it, the guy only has the mental capacity to post one sentence smart-arse replies that lack substance or logic.

BO's hit detection is decidedly inferior to MW2, and I hate MW2 with a passion. I even notice a difference going back and forth between BO and WaW. It's possibly something to do with Theater Mode.

For PC, they were both pretty bad. MW2 only got bad when the host was shit, and BOps is only bad if the server is shit.

Kermit The Dog said:

I've played MW2 recently, and yeah, the hit detection is alot better there than it is in Black Ops. I've also come to the conclusion that MW2 is probably the worse game of the 2, I can't believe I ever thought otherwise.

on wii i met a guy who had more kills with ballastic knife than guns :( he was running around like crazy and killing everyone. how come with some players it feels like you can put so many bullets in to them and still do not die?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
crazy monkey said:
on wii i met a guy who had more kills with ballastic knife than guns :( he was running around like crazy and killing everyone. how come with some players it feels like you can put so many bullets in to them and still do not die?

Crappy connections and/or crappy hit detection.

Top Bottom