• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

I agree with it. At least I liked what he was saying overall. Preseason polls being so sticky is garbage.

I guess at this point it doesn't really matter. I think I'd feel better about how good ND is after they play GT. Anyway, it was a pretty emphatic win against Texas but I'm just not sure how good Texas is this year. Hope Strong gets enough time to turn things around.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Didn't he do Thursday night games last year?
I have no idea what he did last year beyond gameday.

I don't remember if they did it tonight, but I know they never even introduced the starting line-ups in the Bama-Wisconsin game. He and Herbstreit are awful.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pick 'ems for this week: DO NOT POST YOUR PICK IN THIS THREAD

Since it's a short week, I'm posting the pick 'ems here so you can start thinking about what you want to do. Remember, I'm representing the spread next to the team favored to win by the number of points in parentheses next to them. You decide if that team will win by more than that amount of points (i.e., they'll "cover" the spread) or whether you think they will either win by fewer than that amount of points or just outright lose (either of these would be a "no cover" scenario). If you have questions, ask!

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
Jacksonville State v. Auburn
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5)
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5)
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5)
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5)
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5)

Instructions and examples from this week's thread:

2015 College Football Pick 'em - Week One

Okay, ttk is out this year, so I'll try to run it. Each week I'll choose 11 games for you guys to pick. However, I'm not doing MOV like ttk did, instead, you'll just be picking against the spread for 10 of the games. There will be one game each week for which you'll pick the MOV, and this game will only be for tiebreaker purpose. Scoring will be 1 point for each game you get correct, with 3 points for the person who gets the most games correct that week. If there is a tie for first place, then we'll look at the MOV game. If it's still a tie, then nobody wins the bonus. These spreads are not necessarily Vegas approved.

Without further ado, here are the games:

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5)
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5)
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5)
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5)
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5)
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5)
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern
Monday
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech

Here's an example as to how you should post your picks:

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 28
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 28 | This pick is for MSU to beat WMU by 28 points.
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While some looked more impressive than others it seems like the only team to really lay and egg was Arizona St.

Top 25 should look relatively unchanged. No real movement till this weekend when Oregon and Mich St play.

While some looked more impressive than others it seems like the only team to really lay and egg was Arizona St.

Top 25 should look relatively unchanged. No real movement till this weekend when Oregon and Mich St play.

I'd say that Stanford also laid an egg, shit the bed and pissed themselves.

andycapps

I'm looking forward to that game. Should be a great one.

Vanillalite

Also I wish CFB would get rid of all those kick off games (they won't cause $$$).

The atmosphere at VT made the game sooo much more hype than the shit on Saturday night played in Dallas.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd say that Stanford also laid an egg, shit the bed and pissed themselves.
Visual representation of Texas' performance:

KvvciKb.jpg

Vanillalite

Texas shit the bed, but they weren't ranked.

I forgot about Stanford though, but they were in the 20s so not a ton of poll movement. Arizona St will probably fall out of the top 25 so that's a big mover.

I do wonder if pollsters will rethink Sparty's rank or just give them a pass. There is no sane way Sparty should be the higher ranked team going into the big game against the Ducks.

andycapps

I forgot about Stanford though, but they were in the 20s so not a ton of poll movement. Arizona St will probably fall out of the top 25 so that's a big mover.

I do wonder if pollsters will rethink Sparty's rank or just give them a pass. There is no sane way Sparty should be the higher ranked team going into the big game against the Ducks.

It's in East Lansing though with a QB that is new to Oregon's program who was knocked out of their game last week. That counts for something. Dantonio is also a heck of a coach.

Draxal

Oregon wasn't really that impressive against Eastern Washington (42 points after you took that team's starting qb?) truth be told. I think both teams were very guilty of looking to the next week.

It's in East Lansing though with a QB that is new to Oregon's program who was knocked out of their game last week. That counts for something. Dantonio is also a heck of a coach.

Oregon's defense also did not look all that great vs. EWU, but I kind of wrote it off because EWU has a good offense and it was just the first game of the season.

edit: totally going homer on Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) , this pick'em is going to be another dud this week I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom