• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Uhh, why not?

Oregon won going away last year. Even if you count Sparty at home and the fact that Mariota is gone, Oregon still dropped 60+ points in week 1.

I'm struggling to find why Mich St should be ranked ahead or favored other than the fact that it's in East Lansing. This is irregardless of the outcome btw.

The way USU struggled with Southern Utah, you're going to stick with the homer pick? I admire your dedication, sir.

Oh we're going to lose, but not by two touchdowns. Even good teams get stupid and touch a hot stove every once and a while. We were very lucky to do so without getting burned.

edit: One general takeway about CFB is that the first week's performance in general can be poor to outright bad without it meaning that the team is going to be a disaster all year. It is easily (IMO) the highest variance of play from a team you'll see all year.

Oregon won going away last year. Even if you count Sparty at home and the fact that Mariota is gone, Oregon still dropped 60+ points in week 1.

I'm struggling to find why Mich St should be ranked ahead or favored other than the fact that it's in East Lansing. This is irregardless of the outcome btw.

Sure, one can have a discussion on it, but saying there's "no sane way" that Michigan State should be ranked above Oregon is a bit hyperbolic.

andycapps

Oregon also gave up 42 points to a team from the Big Sky Conference.

Draxal

Rettig.

Kyle Flood makes yet another blunder.

Luckily Wazzu looks horrible and we have them at home.

Ayup, basically half of the homers on the Rivals boards called out the mod for not agreeing with Flood .. and hte other half is like what's wrong with you guys.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rankings at this point of the season are meaningless anyway.

And MSU and Oregon are so closely ranked that they might as well be even.

Even if you think that poll wise is there a reason Oregon shouldn't be favored? They won by 19 last season if that matters.

george_us

I do wonder if pollsters will rethink Sparty's rank or just give them a pass. There is no sane way Sparty should be the higher ranked team going into the big game against the Ducks.
Why? At least MSU played a FBS opponent. Oregon gave up 41 points and over 500 yards of offense to a FCS opponent. Right now Sparty looks like the more complete team.

Draxal

Even if you think that poll wise is there a reason Oregon shouldn't be favored? They won by 19 last season if that matters.

Thye lost Mariotta and MSU kept Cook?

Why? At least MSU played a FBS opponent. Oregon gave up 41 points and over 500 yards of offense to a FCS opponent. Right now Sparty looks like the more complete team.

And that FCS's starting qb last year is now Oregon's starting qb.

andycapps

Well you're talking about two different things here. There's the preseason polls which are determined very much by how teams ended the end of the year, conventional wisdom, sheer insanity, etc. But Vegas odds are pretty non-partisan. Those are based on how people are betting. Michigan State is only favored by 3.5 now, and with a 3 point home field advantage, that means it's essentially even. Not sure what you're hung up on.

Posted in the BBQ thread as well, but worth posting here in case others are into making it (or eating it). Made some pulled pork and chicken this weekend. Pulled pork was awesome as always, lots of compliments. That said, it is good BBQ thanks to the recipes at Amazingribs.com.

tSnmSQS.jpg

The chicken was brined for 1 1/2 days and then stuffed with apples, lemons, garlic, and onions and then smoked for about 5 hours. Was awesome as well, second time with that recipe.

G5IRrbT.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, SEC CG is still stuck in Atlanta. Will move to MERCEDES BENZ YA'LL Stadium in 2017 or whenever it's finished.

andycapps

Jerry's world would be insanely stupid.

I agree, I'm just not sure what the good alternatives are. There's Atlanta, Jacksonville if you want to put it at Everbank, Jerry's World, Charlotte, Nashville with the Titans stadium, etc. Atlanta seems like the best option due to proximity to the majority of SEC teams, huge airport, major interstates running through it, etc.

That Mercedes-Benz Stadium is looking really nice though.

george_us

Posted in the BBQ thread as well, but worth posting here in case others are into making it (or eating it). Made some pulled pork and chicken this weekend. Pulled pork was awesome as always, lots of compliments. That said, it is good BBQ thanks to the recipes at Amazingribs.com.

tSnmSQS.jpg

The chicken was brined for 1 1/2 days and then stuffed with apples, lemons, garlic, and onions and then smoked for about 5 hours. Was awesome as well, second time with that recipe.

G5IRrbT.jpg
Holy fuck that looks delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom