• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Careful, he'll try to make a rivalry with Old Dominion or something, make a trophy, and not tell anyone.

Makes me wonder what happened to that stupid trophy Baylor made up for our game against them two years ago. Note that there were never any comments from Tech representatives about it, that it's sponsored by a company from Waco, and that it conveniently appeared out of nowhere just when they were about to take the overall lead in the series.

Part of me wants us to have not even bothered asking for it when we won last season; the other part wants us to have taken possession of it but then not have even waited until the buses pulled away to throw it in a dumpster.

::edit::
Apparently we do have it. : (

Karl2177

Makes me wonder what happened to that stupid trophy Baylor made up for our game against them two years ago. Note that there were never any comments from Tech representatives about it, that it's sponsored by a company from Waco, and that it conveniently appeared out of nowhere just when they were about to take the overall lead in the series.

Part of me wants us to have not even bothered asking for it when we won last season; the other part wants us to have taken possession of it but then not have even waited until the buses pulled away to throw it in a dumpster.

::edit::
Apparently we do have it. : (
I was hoping it was just a bronzed behind to represent BU/TT to the core.

USC's kicker was kicked out of school after a title IX investigation for domestic violence that his GF says was false. The investigation started because of a complaint from a men's tennis coach.

Boermeester's gf was on the women's tennis team.

Of note, USC's title IX office has already lost one lawsuit for a different incident.

cdyhybrid

USC's kicker was kicked out of school after a title IX investigation for domestic violence that his GF says was false. The investigation started because of a complaint from a men's tennis coach.

Of note, USC's title IX office has already lost one lawsuit for a different incident.
Never a dull day at USC

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping it was just a bronzed behind to represent BU/TT to the core.

They should replace the football on top with a bronzed Charlie Day.

charliebuttdance.gif

Draxal

Domestic Violence is so incredibly hard to investigate, because it happens and is often denied by the victim, its really a shame.

andycapps

How you podcasters think its objectively worse than the Land Grant Trophy is beyond me.
We never claim to know what we're talking about, and I honestly forget which of the shitty B1G trophies we decided was the worst/best. Though after googling the Land Grant trophy I do remember it being in the top spots.

So the first games are in 2 weeks? No? Then fuck it.

Actually, when is the first game being played? Might be around then. More than likely it's in 3 weeks, though.

Never really got the hate for a top 25 dropping the week before games are played. It's just something else to talk about really. Like complaining about Heisman odds.

ag-my001

Actually, when is the first game being played? Might be around then. More than likely it's in 3 weeks, though.

Never really got the hate for a top 25 dropping the week before games are played. It's just something else to talk about really. Like complaining about Heisman odds.
Except that it does set some narratives. Remember last year when Texas beat a highly ranked (pre-season) Notre Dame and shot up to around 12 as a result? Both teams clearly earned those rankings.

Now factor in when people look over a team's season and see the result with the rankings at the time. Perceptions get biased.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Except that it does set some narratives. Remember last year when Texas beat a highly ranked (pre-season) Notre Dame and shot up to around 12 as a result? Both teams clearly earned those rankings.

Now factor in when people look over a team's season and see the result with the rankings at the time. Perceptions get biased.

This, and I think it works even at a subconscious level. It might not be overtly effecting people's perception, but it might be something that subconsciously factors in.

On the flip side other than giving us something to talk about I can't find any real justification for such an early poll? Like what actual value does it bring?

Karl2177

I think it's 25 or 26 days away.

Preseason polls are crap because no one has actually done anything. 20-something A&M slaughtered a highly ranked South Carolina team a few years back in the season opener. Neither team finished the season with fewer than 5 losses and neither was in the top 25 at the end. Other ranking systems set everyone at the same value at the start and go from there. That's far better, in my opinion.

So you're telling me that Texas isn't back?

FyreWulff

they really shouldn't rank anyone until after like the third conference game

but

gotta sell those in-season high-rank ratings matchups brought to you by ESPN

LionPride

Banned
they really shouldn't rank anyone until after like the third conference game

but

gotta sell those in-season high-rank ratings matchups brought to you by ESPN
When every podcast member of an SB Nation podcast say they hate rankings before the season too>>>>>>>>>>>

Why does that matter? We realized how bad both teams were quickly and they tumbled accordingly. No team is getting slighted in the postseason as a result of preseason rankings. It just isn't happening.

in the bcs era it did, but not as much now

I understand the argument in the BCS era, when only 2 teams were getting a shot at the natty, but it just isn't happening now.

I don't really care for the poll one way or another other than as a sign that games will be played soon, I just don't imagine the season end polls would look at all different with or without that first preseason one. The teams that should rise do. The ones that should fall, fall.

Schiano shat on everything he did by leaving us right before signing day.

Maybe, but the man was fed up with the lack of support he was getting, he turned down numerous other jobs if you believe the rumors, and he was convinced that no Power 5 membership offer was going to be on the table anytime soon.

The only thing he really screwed us over with was leaving Flood as the only coach he wouldn't bring to Tampa Bay.

FyreWulff

gotta play at least 3 conference games

if you win at least two of them you can be voted for ranked. doesn't matter if you're a blue blood or directional tech u.

go from that point forward

maybe also put limits on how many teams per conf can be ranked so you don't end up with Quality Loss feedback loops

Karl2177

Week 1 #2 Bama beats #1 LSU, week 2 #2 Auburn beats #1 Bama, week 3 #2 LSU beats #1 Auburn. All 3 teams beat up on Ole Miss in their off-week.

Who is the #1 team at the start of week 4? Is it LSU because they have the most recent win and their only loss is to the presumptive #2 team? Is it Bama because they've beaten the presumptive #1 team already? Or is it Auburn because their loss is more quality of a loss than the presumptive #1 team's?

It's that type of loop that I'd love to avoid. I disagree about capping the teams per conference. There could legitimately be the best 4 teams in one conference. I'd rather move away from rating conferences because it just furthers beliefs towards teams rather than furthering facts. By saying the SEC was strong, it doesn't make Mizzou a good team last year. I'd really love to move away from conferences all together, but the desire of money and TV deals will never allow that to happen.

Week 1 #2 Bama beats #1 LSU, week 2 #2 Auburn beats #1 Bama, week 3 #2 LSU beats #1 Auburn. All 3 teams beat up on Ole Miss in their off-week.

Who is the #1 team at the start of week 4? Is it LSU because they have the most recent win and their only loss is to the presumptive #2 team? Is it Bama because they've beaten the presumptive #1 team already? Or is it Auburn because their loss is more quality of a loss than the presumptive #1 team's?

It's that type of loop that I'd love to avoid. I disagree about capping the teams per conference. There could legitimately be the best 4 teams in one conference. I'd rather move away from rating conferences because it just furthers beliefs towards teams rather than furthering facts. By saying the SEC was strong, it doesn't make Mizzou a good team last year. I'd really love to move away from conferences all together, but the desire of money and TV deals will never allow that to happen.

Just let them all in.

skip-bayless.jpg

You're going to have to deal with this because the Pac is back baby and it's the best.

Week 1: #2 UCLA defeats #1 USC. Week 2: #3 Washington State defeats #2 Washington. Week 4: #4 Washington defeats #1 UCLA.

WHO IS THE BEST?

Answer: Rutgers.

Poor Cole. I had a bad feeling that one day his gratuitous use of the "n" word would do him in. ( even though I think he was black? But regardless, that word doesn't fly too well on an anonymous forum no matter what color you are )

Anyways, I think some Baylor fan is tampering with the 247 recruiting aggregate. No way do they have the #1 class for 2018

36152182022_6b66c6f2ab_z.jpg

El_Chino

Poor Cole. I had a bad feeling that one day his gratuitous use of the "n" word would do him in. ( even though I think he was black? But regardless, that word doesn't fly too well on an anonymous forum no matter what color you are )

Anyways, I think some Baylor fan is tampering with the 247 recruiting aggregate. No way do they have the #1 class for 2018

36152182022_6b66c6f2ab_z.jpg
Is that what got him banned???

247 has been glitching out for a while, they're still merging their data with Scouts.

Top Bottom