• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 25 | Official Reveal Trailer

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
fugly corporate-friendly, badly rendered cheerleaders incoming, it seems, to the surprise of no one

Michigan cheerleaders in game:
6Ne5xO.jpg

Actual Michigan cheerleaders, current year:
20200101-cheer-team.jpg

Georgia Tech cheerleaders, in game
uUa2GM.jpg

actual Georgia Tech cheerleaders on the wagon
Fixed_Ramblin%27_Wreck.jpg

So it's not just that they diversified a little... it's more that in every shot of every team, they have roughly the same setup of 90% "diverse" (vaguely asian, mostly black, etc), maybe one white girl (with mannish, badly rendered face), and zero resemblance to the actual locations and people.

I mean, I don't really care since this seems to be like Madden in general which means it has trash gameplay to begin with. But they go on and on in these trailers about capturing the campus / cultural feel of each team... while in every shot of cheer teams, you have exactly the same "corporate diversity" and un-feminine cheer faces, regardless of location. It's just so fake.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
fugly corporate-friendly, badly rendered cheerleaders incoming, it seems, to the surprise of no one

Michigan cheerleaders in game:
6Ne5xO.jpg

Actual Michigan cheerleaders, current year:
20200101-cheer-team.jpg

Georgia Tech cheerleaders, in game
uUa2GM.jpg

actual Georgia Tech cheerleaders on the wagon
Fixed_Ramblin%27_Wreck.jpg

So it's not just that they diversified a little... it's more that in every shot of every team, they have roughly the same setup of 90% "diverse" (vaguely asian, mostly black, etc), maybe one white girl (with mannish, badly rendered face), and zero resemblance to the actual locations and people.

I mean, I don't really care since this seems to be like Madden in general which means it has trash gameplay to begin with. But they go on and on in these trailers about capturing the campus / cultural feel of each team... while in every shot of cheer teams, you have exactly the same "corporate diversity" and un-feminine cheer faces, regardless of location. It's just so fake.

It's a college football game. I'm sorry but there are going to be non-white people in it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's a college football game. I'm sorry but there are going to be non-white people in it.
way to misread

The goal is to have each locale and fanbase/cheerleaders/sideline etc look different and like the actual people -- so, people in Boston vs South Carolina vs Michigan vs Mississippi should be recognizable as their places, instead of a weirdly santized mush of diversity filters over every face to where it looks like an alternate universe. And also, the goal is to not have the StarField effect of weirdly ugly faces everywhere that seem to have been built to avoid visual appeal, that I already see happening in the trailer.

Hudo

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is this some sort of spin-off series to Madden? Or is Madden as an IP done (much like how EA told FIFA to fuck off)?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Sorry if this is a stupid question but is this some sort of spin-off series to Madden? Or is Madden as an IP done (much like how EA told FIFA to fuck off)?
Madden is NFL, no way they'd get rid of that (even if it does suck, and I'd take even the worst 90s football games over it).

This is college, so it will be a different series in parallel. But it looks way too much like Madden's engine to me. I wish they'd have given the license to anyone but EA.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

This series used to run alongside Madden and came out every year and was wildly popular on its own back in the day. Madden is the NFL, this is college football so they actually cover different territory and can coexist.

About 10 years ago, this series had to stop due to legal issues with college players not getting paid but their likeness was getting used anyway. Thats all been sorted now and the series is making a return. I think the special edition is actually bundled with Madden

You used to be able to import your college players from this into Madden and then draft them to your favorite team, so they actually kinda compliment each other in a way if youre a football fanatic.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
About 10 years ago, this series had to stop due to legal issues with college players not getting paid but their likeness was getting used anyway. Thats all been sorted now and the series is making a return. I think the special edition is actually bundled with Madden

It's due to the NIL contracts. I know someone who's son plays div 1 and he signed one (which means he'll likely be in the game).

The $100 Deluxe of CFB and the $100 Deluxe of Madden are being sold in a MVP bundle for $150. So you save $50 buying them together, and most people will buy both since you can then draft your seniors into Madden.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
It's due to the NIL contracts. I know someone who's son plays div 1 and he signed one (which means he'll likely be in the game).

The $100 Deluxe of CFB and the $100 Deluxe of Madden are being sold in a MVP bundle for $150. So you save $50 buying them together, and most people will buy both since you can then draft your seniors into Madden.

I wonder how many players didn't take the deal to be in the game and what happens if theyre like a starter.

Are they completely out, like I wonder if they replace them with the backup if he took the deal? Or do they just generate a random character with similar stats?

Haha will be curious if any big names didnt do it. I think most did, but not totally sure.

Thats actually a pretty good deal for NCAA and Madden together if youre wanting to go all in

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder how many players didn't take the deal to be in the game and what happens if theyre like a starter.

Are they completely out, like I wonder if they replace them with the backup if he took the deal? Or do they just generate a random character with similar stats?

Haha will be curious if any big names didnt do it. I think most did, but not totally sure.

Thats actually a pretty good deal for NCAA and Madden together if youre wanting to go all in

I don't see why someone wouldn't sign a NIL contract. It's pretty good money for someone in college. Especially if they aren't likely to be drafted.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

I think there are only 2. The Manning kid in TX and one other.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I don't see why someone wouldn't sign a NIL contract. It's pretty good money for someone in college. Especially if they aren't likely to be drafted.

Yeah agree, I thought originally they only got $600 to be in the game... I was wondering if any bigger names were holding out like "nah Im worth more."

But I just looked it up it actually says "a minimum of $600" plus they are free to earn money doing promotional work. So the more recognizable names might still be getting paid well.

It also says players that say no will be completely excluded and blocked from being manually added :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah agree, I thought originally they only got $600 to be in the game... I was wondering if any bigger names were holding out like "nah Im worth more."

But I just looked it up it actually says "a minimum of $600" plus they are free to earn money doing promotional work. So the more recognizable names might still be getting paid well.

It also says players that say no will be completely excluded and blocked from being manually added :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It covers way more than just the game. Some of the deals are in the thousands of dollars. They make good money off them.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
It covers way more than just the game. Some of the deals are in the thousands of dollars. They make good money off them.

Is NIL completely all inclusive though? Like take it or leave it for everything? Maybe it is I honestly dont know. I knew some guys are making millions but I thought if you wanted to individually opt-out of the EA game you could, and still get paid in other ways. But maybe it doesnt work like that.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Is NIL completely all inclusive though? Like take it or leave it for everything? Maybe it is I honestly dont know. I knew some guys are making millions but I thought if you wanted to individually opt-out of the EA game you could, and still get paid in other ways. But maybe it doesnt work like that.

You do not have to take the NIL deal EA offered, but you will not be in the game.

It is like NBA games use to have everyone but Jordan because he was not covered under the NBA licensing agreement.

Hudo

Madden is NFL, no way they'd get rid of that (even if it does suck, and I'd take even the worst 90s football games over it).

This is college, so it will be a different series in parallel. But it looks way too much like Madden's engine to me. I wish they'd have given the license to anyone but EA.

This series used to run alongside Madden and came out every year and was wildly popular on its own back in the day. Madden is the NFL, this is college football so they actually cover different territory and can coexist.

You used to be able to import your college players from this into Madden and then draft them to your favorite team, so they actually kinda compliment each other in a way if youre a football fanatic.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I did not know that college football and NFL were two separate things. Now I know. Just one more stupid question: Do college football and NFL share the same rules? I assume so because, in the end, football is football.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I did not know that college football and NFL were two separate things. Now I know. Just one more stupid question: Do college football and NFL share the same rules? I assume so because, in the end, football is football.
No there are a lot of differences.

High School football is played on Fridays, College on Saturdays, NFL on Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays).

Hudo

No there are a lot of differences.

High School football is played on Fridays, College on Saturdays, NFL on Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays).
Ah, OK. Thanks again! Will read it when I'm on the shitter.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
College can be more entertaining due to the variability of the game... instead of your QB and stars being multi-million dollar assets that you protect, and the whole team being a strictly monetary enterprise, there are rivalries and crazy out-of-the-box risky plays happening everywhere. Or even just busted plays that turn into a surprise.

I watch NFL too, but it's a little too streamlined now, as happens with many high level competitions. Sometimes upper-mid level is more intense.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It will undoubtedly suck, which is a shame. Better off finding an old copy of NCAA for a Gen 8 or 9 system.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It will undoubtedly suck, which is a shame. Better off finding an old copy of NCAA for a Gen 8 or 9 system.
Or even better, try one of these hacks

8338titlescreen.png

i243Av.jpg

Topher

Gold Member

The crux of the game is the same. There are variations in the rules at each level.

StereoVsn

way to misread

The goal is to have each locale and fanbase/cheerleaders/sideline etc look different and like the actual people -- so, people in Boston vs South Carolina vs Michigan vs Mississippi should be recognizable as their places, instead of a weirdly santized mush of diversity filters over every face to where it looks like an alternate universe. And also, the goal is to not have the StarField effect of weirdly ugly faces everywhere that seem to have been built to avoid visual appeal, that I already see happening in the trailer.
Yeah, basically the cheer teams look samey and unified now. That’s weird because the comparison is super easy to do as you just have to turn on the TV on a random Saturday during the season.

KellyNole

They did exactly that and got sued.

EA used to use the players likeness and not use the name. Had same number, build, hometown, etc. Once EA lost the suit, schools pulled out on the licensing agreement with EA to have the schools in the game. EA could have made a game with random players to start with, but without the schools, it was a moot point. Unlicensed football games typically do not sell as well. The schools at that point were trying to figure the whole new landscape of NIL as it was just starting.

Im not actually sure what you're referring to, but Im gonna assume it was everything around Horns Down getting cancelled and Im gonna completely agree with you. And then Ill take the opportunity to post this in solidarity:

SOONERS.png
lol meant the libs, DEI and all the rest of the bullshit in that vein that has ruined entertainment/games/movies/tv/life. but you know me, i can't complain.

Gameplay reveal.

Probably the best work I've seen in a sport game in a long time. The last sport game that impressed me was NFL 2K5. This College Football 25 actually addresses visual fidelity where it matters which is the gameplay, the animation work is the best I've seen even though there's still a little issues with the cameramen on the sideline but overall man there are still so many moving parts in how the game is animating on the football field, it looks amazing.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Here are the top 100 players.

1. Will Johnson - Michigan (CB, 96 overall)
  2. Will Campbell - LSU (OT, 96 overall)
  3. Ollie Gordon II - Oklahoma State (RB, 96 overall)
  4. James Pearce Jr. - Tennessee (DE, 95 overall)
  5. Caleb Downs - Ohio State (FS, 95 overall)
  6. Travis Hunter - Colorado (WR/DB, 95 overall)
  7. Malaki Starks - Georgia (FS, 95 overall)
  8. Mason Graham - Michigan (DT, 95 overall)
  9. Quinshon Judkins - Ohio State (RB, 95 overall)
  10. Tate Ratledge - Georgia (RG, 95 overall)
  11. Luther Burden - Missouri (WR, 94 overall)
  12. Benjamin Morrison - Notre Dame (CB, 94 overall)
  13. Kelvin Banks Jr. - Texas (OT, 94 overall)
  14. Tetairoa McMillan - Arizona (WR, 94 overall)
  15. Barrett Carter - Clemson (OLB, 94 overall)
  16. Jay Higgins - Iowa (MLB, 94 overall)
  17. Shedeur Sanders - Colorado (QB, 93 overall)
  18. Carson Beck - Georgia (QB, 93 overall)
  19. Emeka Egbuka - Ohio State (WR, 93 overall)
  20. Mykel Williams - Georgia (OLB, 93 overall)
  21. Deone Walker - Kentucky (DE, 93 overall)
  22. Omarion Hampton - North Carolina (RB, 93 overall)
  23. TreVeyon Henderson - Ohio State (RB, 93 overall)
  24. Aireontae Ersery - Minnesota (OT, 93 overall)
  25. Jaydn Ott - Cal (RB, 93 overall)
  26. Walter Nolen - Texas A&M (DT, 93 overall)
  27. Quinn Ewers - Texas (QB, 92 overall)
  28. Xavier Watts - Notre Dame (FS, 92 overall)
  29. Jack Sawyer - Ohio State (DE, 92 overall)
  30. Dillon Gabriel - Oregon (transferred from Oklahoma) (QB, 92 overall)
  31. Harold Perkins Jr. - LSU (LB, 92 overall)
  32. Parker Brailsford - Alabama* (transferred from Washington) (C, 92 overall)
  33. Colston Loveland - Michigan (TE, 92 overall)
  34. Tacario Davis - Arizona* (CB, 92 overall)
  35. Malachi Moore - Alabama (FS, 92 overall)
  36. Tahj Brooks - Texas Tech (RB, 92 overall)
  37. Clay Webb - Jackson State (LG, 92 overall)
  38. Sebastian Castro - Iowa (FS, 92 overall)
  39. Jonas Sanker - Virginia (SS, 92 overall)
  40. Quincy Riley - Louisville (CB, 92 overall)
  41. Jonah Monheim - USC (OT, 92 overall)
  42. Devin Neal - Kansas (RB, 92 overall)
  43. Tyler Booker - Alabama (OG, 91 overall)
  44. Ashton Jeanty - Boise State (RB, 91 overall)
  45. Tory Horton - Colorado State (WR, 91 overall)
  46. Donovan Jackson - Ohio State (OG, 91 overall)
  47. Abdul Carter - Penn State (LB, 91 overall)
  48. Dylan Fairchild - Georgia (OG, 91 overall)
  49. Donovan Edwards - Michigan (RB, 91 overall)
  50. Jason Henderson - Old Dominion (LB, 91 overall)
  51. Denzel Burke - Ohio State (CB, 91 overall)
  52. Danny Stutsman - Oklahoma (LB, 91 overall)
  53. Luke Kandra - Louisville (OG, 91 overall)
  54. Tyleik Williams - Ohio State (DT, 91 overall)
  55. Kenneth Grant - Michigan (DT, 91 overall)
  56. Kaimon Rucker - North Carolina (DE, 91 overall)
  57. Kevin Winston Jr. - Penn State (S, 91 overall)
  58. Landon Jackson - Arkansas (DE, 91 overall)
  59. Tez Johnson - Oregon (WR, 91 overall)
  60. Jaeden Roberts - Alabama (OG, 91 overall)
  61. Maxwell Hairston - Kentucky (CB, 91 overall)
  62. Ricardo Hallman - Wisconsin (CB, 91 overall)
  63. Logan Parr - Texas (LG, 91 overall)
  64. Nicholas Singleton - Penn State (RB, 91 overall)
  65. Jabbar Muhammad - Oregon (tranferred from Washington) (CB, 91 overall)
  66. Dorian Strong - Virginia Tech (CB, 91 overall)
  67. Damien Martinez - Miami (transferred from Oregon State) (RB, 91 overall)
  68. RJ Harvey - UCF (RB, 91 overall)
  69. Oronde Gadsden II - Syracuse (TE, 91 overall)
  70. Dontay Corleone - Cincinnati (DT, 91 overall)
  71. Jalen Milroe - Alabama (QB, 90 overall)
  72. Ashton Gillotte - Louisville (DE, 90 overall)
  73. Jaxson Dart - Ole Miss (QB, 90 overall)
  74. Mitchell Evans - Notre Dame (TE, 90 overall)
  75. Cobee Bryant - Kansas (CB, 90 overall)
  76. Deontae Lawson - Alabama (LB, 90 overall)
  77. Howard Cross III - Notre Dame (DT, 90 overall)
  78. Rueben Bain Jr. - Miami (DE, 90 overall)
  79. Jalon Daniels - Kansas (QB, 90 overall)
  80. Nick Martin - Oklahoma State (LB, 90 overall)
  81. Tre Harris - Ole Miss (WR, 90 overall)
  82. Wyatt Milum - West Virginia (OT, 90 overall)
  83. Dillon Thieneman - Purdue (FS, 90 overall)
  84. Hunter Wohler - Wisconsin (SS, 90 overall)
  85. Evan Stewart - Oregon (transferred from Texas A&M) (WR, 90 overall)
  86. Nick Jackson - Iowa (LB, 90 overall)
  87. Patrick Payton - Florida State (DE, 90 overall)
  88. Nic Scourton - Texas A&M* (transferred from Purdue) (DE, 90 overall)
  89. Jonah Savaiinaea - Arizona (OT, 90 overall)
  90. Kaidon Salter - Liberty (QB, 90 overall)
  91. Peter Woods - Clemson (DT, 90 overall)
  92. Emery Jones Jr. - Cincinnati (OT, 92 overall)
  93. Xavier Restrepo - Miami (WR, 90 overall)
  94. Billy Bowman Jr. - Oklahoma (SS, 90 overall)
  95. Josh Conerly Jr. - Oregon (OT, 90 overall)
  96. Kyle Monangai - Rutgers (RB, 90 overall)
  97. Xavier Nwankpa - Iowa (SS, 90 overall)
  98. Mason Taylor - LSU (TE, 90 overall)
  99. Oscar Delp - Georgia (TE, 90 overall)
  100. Quinton Cooley - Liberty (RB, 90 overall)

Top Bottom