• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Bowl and Playoff Thread - Where American Mediocrity is rewarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what do they do when they run out of teams to put into bowl games? Every team is in a bowl game, but we want more bowls! Qualified teams get eligibility for two bowl games?

Seriously Pitt coach? Stay salty

E6HKFJi.gif

What did Pat Narduzzi do?

So thanks to two 5-7 teams entering bowl games, the B1G is 2-1, I believe.

It should be 3-0.. Coach K bribed the refs.. I guarantee it.

cdyhybrid

Rick Neuheisel explains the biggest problem at UCLA

UCLA finished a disappointing season with a loss to 5-7 Nebraska in the Foster Farms Bowl, and Rick Neuheisel says there’s one clear problem above all else — a problem that dates back to before his own time as head coach.

It’s the size of players. Nebraska rushed for 326 yards (5.3 per carry), much higher than their season average. And Neuheisel points to UCLA’s nutrition problems.

“When I got there, we were not a very big football team. I think I had one offensive lineman when I got there that could bench press 300 pounds. That’s an indictment of a strength program,” Neuheisel said on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “Jim Mora, they’ve done a nice job with the strength program. But the bottom line is, when you look at the teams the other night, there was a disparate size. Clearly, Nebraska was the bigger football team. UCLA is built to handle spread offenses, but the size issues are still going to be there for UCLA.

“It gets back to the one thing that was widely out of whack for my program there as compared to USC: the nutrition. They don’t eat. Despite the rules that have been made. I asked, because I wanted to know what sort of upgrades there have been since the rules allowed more meals. The snacks have gotten better, but they still don’t have a dining room.”

In today’s day and age, for a program like UCLA not to have athletic-specific dining is striking. The school recently upgraded Pauley Pavilion, but didn’t add a kitchen or athletic dining area, said Neuheisel, whose son is on the football team.

Wat.

I somehow don't think UCLA's lack of a dining hall is the entire reason they gave up THIRTY UNANSWERED POINTS to 5-7 Nebraska. I'd have at least gone with the injury issues if I was gonna make excuses.

One thing I learned during the game is that 3 of UCLA's starting OL this season could opt for the draft. 1 of them actually signed with an agent before the game and didn't play in it. Add in potential losses of Miles Jack and Paul Perkins and thinks could be really rough at UCLA next year. I suppose the thing working in their favor is that they still have Rosen and no one else in the South looks particularly elite.

Oh man, that's awesome. Have a great trip and cheer loudly!

Thanks, man. My pipes are always hoarse and the butts are always out of their seats in my section, no worries there ;-)

I lurk this thread often, but I am heading to Atlanta today for the Peach Bowl on New Year's Eve. Win or lose, I am happy with Houston's season. It's been fun as hell.

It's a great success for Houston this season. I'll be rooting for them to finish strong, enjoy your trip!

andycapps

Apparently Jacob Coker's mom did not like Jeremy Pruitt's recruitment of her son. A lot more in the article, but this part seemed funny Pruitt ending up back at Bama.

To this day, Coker’s mother speaks candidly about how upset she was with Alabama’s recruitment. Spires said Alabama assistant coach Jeremy Pruitt recruited Coker behind the family’s back after he committed to Florida State, causing her to give an “ass chewing” to Pruitt.

“I called Jeremy and said, ‘Quit sneaking in the back door. Do you understand the word ‘commitment’?” Spires recalled. “Jeremy got a little uppity with me but it didn’t last very long. From a mother’s standpoint, he was wrong. I still think he was wrong. I called him on it. He kept calling me back and I said, ‘What are you a sucker for punishment because I’m not going to cut you any slack? I don’t like what you did.’ Football is such a big business. It’s really not fun. These are kids and sometimes they get distorted by people who really just want a commitment and you never know why.”

Spires said she had a few sessions with Saban -- "Come to Jesus meetings," as she described them -- to discuss how Pruitt recruited Coker.

“I meant business because it got to be really traumatic,” Spires said. “Jake started wondering, ‘Did I make the right decision? What if, what if, what if?’ Jake made the decision to commit to Florida State and was totally comfortable with that. I put in my two bits with Jeremy, and by God, he goes to Florida State (to become defensive coordinator). I’m like, damn. So now he’s back at Alabama. It’s really kind of funny.”

andycapps

Sounds like Jeremy Pruitt, alright.

Yeah, he is a good coach though. I'm curious if he's going to adapt the recruiting at Bama to the types of players he likes.. Fast and agile, vs the bigger, run-stopping players that Smart seems to favor. If there's ever been a gripe about Pruitt at UGA, it wasn't regarding the secondary that he coached, it was regarding the ability to stop the run.

northern teams need to build more domes

And be less boring to vacation in.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, he is a good coach though. I'm curious if he's going to adapt the recruiting at Bama to the types of players he likes.. Fast and agile, vs the bigger, run-stopping players that Smart seems to favor. If there's ever been a gripe about Pruitt at UGA, it wasn't regarding the secondary that he coached, it was regarding the ability to stop the run.

And be less boring to vacation in.

Well, Pruitt will have Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams back for next year (barring last minute changes). That's 19.5 sacks returning, err, I mean "big and slow run stoppers"

andycapps

Well, Pruitt will have Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams back for next year (barring last minute changes). That's 19.5 sacks returning, err, I mean "big and slow run stoppers"

Bama always has tons of talent so I'm sure he'll be okay. I'm more curious the types he recruits going forward. I'm assuming that he will not be given full reign to recruit whatever style he wants like he had in Athens where he had full control of the defense. Assuming Saban will still have his philosophy in place with Pruitt in charge of recruiting for it and implementing it.

For my Spartan-bros:

Former MSU Quarterback and accomplished public speaker Kirk Cousins wrote a beautiful piece on The Players' Tribune about landing at MSU w/ Mark Dantonio.

Captain Kirk said:
When Coach Dantonio and I arrived in ‘07, all we knew was a program that was competing for .500 records. When Shilique and Connor arrived in ‘11, all they knew was a program that was competing for Big Ten Championships. And a few months from now, when that ‘16 class arrives in East Lansing, all they’re going to know is a program that competes for national championships.

And that starts Thursday night.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Bama always has tons of talent so I'm sure he'll be okay. I'm more curious the types he recruits going forward. I'm assuming that he will not be given full reign to recruit whatever style he wants like he had in Athens where he had full control of the defense. Assuming Saban will still have his philosophy in place with Pruitt in charge of recruiting for it and implementing it.

He'll never have to worry about coaching his recruits anyway.

cdyhybrid

I somehow don't think UCLA's lack of a dining hall is the entire reason they gave up THIRTY UNANSWERED POINTS to 5-7 Nebraska. I'd have at least gone with the injury issues if I was gonna make excuses.

One thing I learned during the game is that 3 of UCLA's starting OL this season could opt for the draft. 1 of them actually signed with an agent before the game and didn't play in it. Add in potential losses of Miles Jack and Paul Perkins and thinks could be really rough at UCLA next year. I suppose the thing working in their favor is that they still have Rosen and no one else in the South looks particularly elite.
Yeah, I don't think it's the entire reason, more of a symptom. I found the link on our $9.95 board, and it seems UCLA has a reputation among the blue hairs as soft.

Sounds like Jeremy Pruitt, alright.

I'm sure you're trying to make a point here, right?

No point here, just think its an interesting graph. You wont hear arguments there should be more Northern bowls from me (because thats stupid).

Although I think Minny, Detroit, or Indy should be in the playoff rotation at some point.

andycapps

He'll never have to worry about coaching his recruits anyway.

Yeah the Auburn job should be open next year now that the warranty on the Gus Bus is expiring.

bucknuticus said:
No point here, just think its an interesting graph. You wont hear arguments there should be more Northern bowls from me (because thats stupid).

Although I think Minny, Detroit, or Indy should be in the playoff rotation at some point.

The problem with that is that it's a bowl game, in essence. You're asking fans to travel across the country to Minneapolis, Detroit, or Indianapolis at this time of year when the normal weather is somewhere between can't feel my fingers and "only go outside if you must"? We've been through this before, people don't like traveling for a bowl game to those types of places in the dead of winter.

The problem with that is that it's a bowl game, in essence. You're asking fans to travel across the country to Minneapolis, Detroit, or Indianapolis at this time of year when the normal weather is somewhere between can't feel my fingers and "only go outside if you must"? We've been through this before, people don't like traveling for a bowl game to those types of places in the dead of winter.

Cold weather will not stop CFB fans from attending the National Championship game. Hell, Minny, Detroit & Indy all have indoor stadiums. We're not proposing Lambeau Field here (as badass as that would that be).

It's the same temperature in Dallas as in Detroit right now. I'm packing the same stuff I'm currently wearing in Detroit.

andycapps

Cold weather will not stop CFB fans from attending the National Championship game. Hell, Minny, Detroit & Indy all have indoor stadiums. We're not proposing Lambeau Field here (as badass as that would that be).

It's the same temperature in Dallas as in Detroit right now. I'm packing the same stuff I'm currently wearing in Detroit.
I'm not talking about the games, I'm talking about bowls being a mini-vacation for fans and for the players. I actually love watching games in cold weather, on tv anyway. But you know that this year is an outlier as far as average temp goes this time of year. It's normally much colder in Detroit right now than it is in Dallas.

Cal putting on a clinic on how not to do ball control.

I'm not talking about the games, I'm talking about bowls being a mini-vacation for fans and for the players. I actually love watching games in cold weather, on tv anyway. But you know that this year is an outlier as far as average temp goes this time of year. It's normally much colder in Detroit right now than it is in Dallas.

Cal putting on a clinic on how not to do ball control.

True, I'd just argue that weather is only one of many factors that goes into a vacation. Plenty of people travel the earth for reasons other than nice weather.

When my family and I discussed our trip to Dallas (and Pasadena two years ago) we all agreed that the game would be the center of the trip, everything else just icing.

We're treating it more like a business trip, really, though I will admit we would have handled it differently if headed to Miami.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Steam sale has a cfb text sim called Bowl Bound. I bought it since it's cheap but haven't played it yet. Anybody ever tried it?

andycapps

True, I'd just argue that weather is only one of many factors that goes into a vacation. Plenty of people travel the earth for reasons other than nice weather.

When my family and I discussed our trip to Dallas (and Pasadena two years ago) we all agreed that the game would be the center of the trip, everything else just icing.

We're treating it more like a business trip, really, though I will admit we would have handled it differently if headed to Miami.
Oh sure, just saying the locale can be a determining factor in whether fans show up for games.

Damn, Goff going off today.

UCLA loses Payton too. I think Duarte comes back and as far as D, it's gonna be tough. Got some decent recruits coming so we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom