• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assanova

Now where is Mark May and Joey Galloway? Time for them to eat a nice, big serving of crow. As predicted, Oregon ran up the score on everyone until they played a good defense, the same as when they played OSU and Auburn in recent previous bowl games. I wasn't surprised by the outcome, especially after we beat Alabama.

This was always bullshit. Look at the middling teams in Florida for proof that its bullshit. I won't say kids don't care about warm weather and all that other stuff, but when it comes to football, they care about two main things:

1. Who is the coach?
2. Can he get me to the league?

Thats pretty much it.

It has always been grossly exaggerated, chiefly by clowns like Cowherd.

The B1G fell behind because of shitty, outdated coaching. It's as simple as that.

And I love how Cowturd says Ohio "used to be" a great state for high school football. What a fucktard.

10917108_819180244794875_5360593082001275632_n.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So looking ahead let's see...

Ohio State should in theory be preseason #1. Alabama will just reload like they always do. FSU will come back to the pack some as will Oregon.

I doubt the two Mississippi schools have big years again. TCU and Baylor are wild cards. Clemson could be good since Watson will be in year two and the white guys won't sniff the field.

UGA could be better if the bowl game is to go by with their new offensive coordinator. GT brings Thomas back for year two, but GT always underrated.

Mich will be better, but rebuilding. Sparty will have to deal with life after Narduzzi. Wisconsin will be good not great again along with Nebraska.

Texas, Oklahoma, and USC will continue the trend of good, but has beens in terms of greatness. Florida on the other hand just has to much instate talent that they could be a wild card.

Just general mind thoughts.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So looking ahead let's see...

Ohio State should in theory be preseason #1. Alabama will just reload like they always do. FSU will come back to the pack some as will Oregon.

I doubt the two Mississippi schools have big years again. TCU and Baylor are wild cards. Clemson could be good since Watson will be in year two and the white guys won't sniff the field.

UGA could be better if the bowl game is to go by with their new offensive coordinator. GT brings Thomas back for year two, but GT always underrated.

Mich will be better, but rebuilding. Sparty will have to deal with life after Narduzzi. Wisconsin will be good not great again along with Nebraska.

Texas, Oklahoma, and USC will continue the trend of good, but has beens in terms of greatness. Florida on the other hand just has to much instate talent that they could be a wild card.

Just general mind thoughts.
We have no QB for next year.

Mississippi State will be good again (maybe not AS good).

Arkansas will be a top 10/15 team next year.

Vanillalite

It has always been grossly exaggerated, chiefly by clowns like Cowherd.

The B1G fell behind because of shitty, outdated coaching. It's as simple as that.

And I love how Cowturd says Ohio "used to be" a great state for high school football. What a fucktard.

I know I've said this before and it's corolation not causation, but if your a state with a large population you just have that much larger of an in state talent pool.

This is doubly so if you have to be in a state where there really is only 1 top flight school. Ohio is a top 10 state population wise with OSU being the only power 5 school in the state.

So long as you can get a great coach you should be really good if not great. Provided the state/school/fans care about the sport in question.

This works out more towards CFB because it's such a numbers game in terms of you have a fuck ton of kids on a roster vs say a dozen on a basketball team.

Whoops....

Get comfortable in that recliner, Ohio State fans. It's free.

A furniture chain promised to write off purchases of $1,999 or more made between Dec. 17-30 if the Buckeyes beat Alabama in the College Football Playoff and then won the national championship by at least seven points, The Columbus Dispatch reported.

It was a long shot. First, Ohio State blew away No. 1 seed Alabama on Jan. 1. Then the Buckeyes steamrolled favorite Oregon, 42-20, on Monday to claim the most unlikely of championships.

The promotion was offered at select Ashley Furniture HomeStores and Better Sleep Shops located in Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton and Florence, Ky. More than 500 customers made purchases totaling $1.5 million, parent company Morris Home Furnishings' vice president of marketing Rob Klaben told the Dispatch.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Whoops....

Get comfortable in that recliner, Ohio State fans. It's free.

A furniture chain promised to write off purchases of $1,999 or more made between Dec. 17-30 if the Buckeyes beat Alabama in the College Football Playoff and then won the national championship by at least seven points, The Columbus Dispatch reported.

It was a long shot. First, Ohio State blew away No. 1 seed Alabama on Jan. 1. Then the Buckeyes steamrolled favorite Oregon, 42-20, on Monday to claim the most unlikely of championships.

The promotion was offered at select Ashley Furniture HomeStores and Better Sleep Shops located in Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton and Florence, Ky. More than 500 customers made purchases totaling $1.5 million, parent company Morris Home Furnishings' vice president of marketing Rob Klaben told the Dispatch.

Don't feel bad for the furniture store, feel bad for the insurance company they assuredly got a plan out of to cover their back.

@TIM_MAYsports 3m3 minutes ago
Ohio State vs Oregon highest rated ESPN telecast evet with 18.5 overnight rating. Columbus led with amazing 51.2.

Grats tOSU, glad to see there's another Big Ten school capable of beating a Pac 12 north school this year.

edit. (sorry nw/sparty fans).

I'm ok with losing Walker to Ohio State.

Shuts up those DreamTeam16 people on the Rutgers boards. There's a certain LB recruit from '16 whom I wouldn't mind decommitting from Rutgers just because of the way his father posts. And I say this knowing that the LB recruit in question is damn good.

Balphon

In retrospect it might not have been all that important, but that one wide-open dropped pass by Stanford (I think) felt like an absolutely massive fuckup.

He catches that and the entire game might have played out differently.

It definitely hurt a lot, and it may have made for a closer final score, but the offense was completely out of sync after the first drive and I'm not sure that would have changed. Plus, we still wouldn't have had an answer for Elliot, so unless Meyer decided to have Jones throw the ball 50 times in the face of a 14-14 score at the end of the 1st quarter you still would have been able to move the ball with relative impunity.

Really, though, the D did what it had done in other big games and force turnovers. The difference is that OSU held down the offense, which is something only a handful of teams have been able to do over the past several years. One (or two) dropped passes weren't really going to change that,

Vanillalite

@TIM_MAYsports 3m3 minutes ago
Ohio State vs Oregon highest rated ESPN telecast evet with 18.5 overnight rating. Columbus led with amazing 51.2.

Real talk, but CFB is the 2nd biggest sport in America. It's not the NBA or MLB or any other sport. It's the NFL, then CFB, and everyone else comes up behind. America loves football *shocking* I know. Still doesn't feel like CFB gets it due tho.

Draxal

I'm ok with losing Walker to Ohio State.

Shuts up those DreamTeam16 people on the Rutgers boards. There's a certain LB recruit from '16 whom I wouldn't mind decommitting from Rutgers just because of the way his father posts. And I say this knowing that the LB recruit in question is damn good.

Walker was always a long shot, I like the father we need some edge, I'm tired of being walked over.

JCX

Real talk, but CFB is the 2nd biggest sport in America. It's not the NBA or MLB or any other sport. It's the NFL, then CFB, and everyone else comes up behind. America loves football *shocking* I know. Still doesn't feel like CFB gets it due tho.

Yeah I was still kind of surprised they didn't air it on ABC. Playoff is gonna get even bigger from here on out.

Draxal

Is this when we pretend Ohio State was a persecuted underdog despite consistently recruiting top-10 classes, employing one of the two best coaches in college football, and being one of the most successful college programs ever?

Just checking.

Persecuted no, but written off as just as a big team, when they got Mr SEC as their head coach was really annoying.

Cowherd ripping on the B1G.

"It's not a win for the conference; it's a win for Ohio State."

It's like he missed New Year's Day entirely.

I'm not a B1GB1GB1G guy, but I think this win and the conference's bowl performance can be collectively seen as a clear victory for the conference as a whole.

Yeah I was still kind of surprised they didn't air it on ABC. Playoff is gonna get even bigger from here on out.

Wanna hear something really fucked up? I was up north (no cable) on Jan 1 and the ONLY game I got was Minnesota-Mizzou. College football's Holy Day, one stinking game.

Vanillalite

MLB in particular would KILL for the attendance and more importantly TV ratings CFB gets.

As you said to it's only trending UPWARD too.

The only crime being that CFB and the NFL are played concurrently. Imagine if they both had breathing room. :O

Draxal

I'm not a B1GB1GB1G guy, but I think this win and the conference's bowl performance can be collectively seen as a clear victory for the conference as a whole.

Conference went 6/11 in bowl games (including your two games); and we were underdogs in EVERY game.

Sparty beat Baylor and only lost to Oregon @ Oregon. I don't see how anybody can knock Sparty.

Vanillalite

When Alabama wins it's SECSECSEC.

When FSU or OSU win it's well just those teams.

Keep grasping at straws Colin.

Conference went 6/11 in bowl games (including your two games); and we were underdogs in EVERY game.

Sparty beat Baylor and only lost to Oregon @ Oregon. I don't see how anybody can knock Sparty.

Yep.

Again, Sparty being ranked lower than Bama in the final AP poll is ridiculous. Only two losses to 1 and 2, plus an impressive come-from-behind bowl win against a top 10 team.

Sparty still not getting the respect they deserve.

KingGondo

Banned
Yep.

Again, Sparty being ranked lower than Bama in the final AP poll is ridiculous. Only two losses to 1 and 2, plus an impressive come-from-behind bowl win against a top 10 team.

Sparty still not getting the respect they deserve.
Counterpoint:

ROLL DAMN TIDE PAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLL

impirius

You fools, now you've gone and given the SEC the Disrespect Card

If you strike us down, we shall become louder and more obnoxious than you can possibly imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom