• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Ohio State 49 Michigan St 37
Ohio State 59 Wisconsin 0
Ohio State 42 Alabama 35
Ohio State 42 Oregon 20

So many unforced errors in that Oregon game as well. God damn.

An iowa fan messaged me in the 4th quarter to tell me how the Big 10 needs to be reevaluated from a slow and unathletic conference now that Ohio state won.

I laughed pretty hard.

I can't wait for 6 or 8 team playoff so some of this stupid conference posturing can die. It's one of the dumbest things in this sport. As a Texans fan you can be sure I'm not cheering for the Colts.

An iowa fan messaged me in the 4th quarter to tell me how the Big 10 needs to be reevaluated from a slow and unathletic conference now that Ohio state won.

I laughed pretty hard.

I can't wait for 6 or 8 team playoff so some of this stupid conference posturing can die. It's one of the dumbest things in this sport. As a Texans fan you can be sure I'm not cheering for the Colts.

Iowa fans needs to stop riding the good teams coattails, were not going to do this SECSECSEC shit

inm8num2

No wonder that Dantonio guy never smiles.

While I'm happy to see some people lobbying for MSU to be higher in the poll, I disagree with you guys. As I said last night in the game thread, MSU got blown out by the runner-up and was soundly beaten by the champ. Bama lost by a score to the champ and a then-overrated Ole Miss. As far as I'm concerned the clear-cut top 4 were OSU, Oregon, TCU, and Bama. MSU wasn't quite in that top echelon this year.

If MSU had a better overall bowl performance (vs. playing like shit then mounting that awesome comeback) they might have had a case for #4, but I'm cool with them at #5. I guess if Drew Sharp wasn't such a troll MSU probably wouldn't be tied with FSU.

Either way it's all over for Dantonio and Sparty, now that Harbaugh has landed.

Draxal

It's too late. It has already begun. It's always the shit schools that prop up that stuff anyway.

It helps recruiting for those lower schools. It did make me feel a lot better about my team getting destroyed in Columbus when they did about the same to Oregon in a neutral field.

Kacar

Well that's something. Whoever did that needs to update it with the bama loss and beating Oregon.

Also I think that poster is too wordy. I like it tho but you could take off about 2 or 3 sentences and it'd be better.
I missed your prediction last night but I can tell by the victory that you did the right thing.

Lunar15

Please, no more pre-season rankings. Just stop, they're silly and embarrassing. I feel like most "analysts" were wrong about nearly everything this season, so there's just no reason to take pre-season rankings seriously anymore.

We shouldn't even see rankings until the fifth game in a season, if you ask me. Won't happen though because there are still College Gamedays to hype in weeks 1 through 4.

Meier

Congrats to the OSU fans. I definitely thought that Alabama would woop em but once they played so well, I thought they had a pretty good chance against Oregon but expected they'd lose that one too. Kept proving the doubters wrong.

Hate seeing Urban get another title but the man is a damn good coach.

Cardale is going to go pro.

I can't think of any convincing reason why he shouldn't.

And I feel awesome with J.T. going forward. We'll see what happens with Brax.

That Penn State thread is oh so depressing.
As an objective person who has spent the last 3 years investigating this case, the Freeh Report has many of inconsistencies. The jury is still out on a lot of things.

Take for instance the one time I sat across from Mike McQueary at lunch while attending the greatest university in the world, Penn State. Not only was he a dumb meathead loser asshole, but he put ketchup on his hotdog rather than musturd. Or how about the day the media murdered JoePa (January 22) also happens to be the birthday of infamous Russian mystic Grigori Rasputin. Coincidence?

This is neither here nor there but I heard Louis Freeh has Cuban ties and was a close friend of Lee Harvey Oswald.

JoePa's name will be cleared, mark my words.

JCX

Ugh, I'm just so tired of all this B1GB1GB1G talk. When are we ever going to hear about the SEC!?

I'm sure ESPN will retcon this year's bowl performance as Brent Musburger's fever dream after eating all the Tostitos(tm)

I laughed pretty hard.

8 team is my ideal. Agree that the conference posturing only is needed because good teams get left out.

How would 6 work? Winner of 5v8 and 6v7 play 1 and 2 the week after?

HeySeuss

I missed your prediction last night but I can tell by the victory that you did the right thing.

I stayed true and predicted our defeat. All according to plan! Lol

I actually was worried since all the local homers were saying we should win handily. I thought it was almost a carbon copy of the 2010 rose bowl with Cardale as the wildcard. But listening to the local radio guys writing Oregon off made me think twice that maybe the team was getting overconfident hearing it too.

@brdispatch 8s8 seconds ago
Meyer on potentially coaching in the NFL: "Not right now." Said he's committed to OSU. Interesting answer. Thought he'd be more definitive.

@brdispatch 8s8 seconds ago
Meyer on potentially coaching in the NFL: "Not right now." Said he's committed to OSU. Interesting answer. Thought he'd be more definitive.

If it happens, whatev. But I'd be surprised.

I think he's a college coach through and through. He thrives on the total control he wields at the college level. He doesn't get that in the pros.

But if it happens, it would probably happen in a couple years or so, and that timeline works out well for replacing him with Herman.

Balphon

Cardale is going to go pro.

I can't think of any convincing reason why he shouldn't.

And I feel awesome with J.T. going forward. We'll see what happens with Brax.

Three games is a vanishingly small sample size for NFL scouts to evaluate a player, and none of the game plans in those games were "Cardale, win us the game."

The more likely scenario is that Miller will transfer somewhere and Barrett and Jones will duke it out in the spring.

KingGondo

Banned
TCU and OSU are about the only teams I would immediately trust in the Top 10, based solely upon returning starters.
As much as I hate Baylor they probably deserve to be there too.

New QB but Briles always has someone waiting in the wings.

I feel pretty optimistic about our chances next season too, but now that most pundits are picking us third in the conference I'm getting nervous. We should be much-improved though, plus we get all of our really tough games at home.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Three games is a vanishingly small sample size for NFL scouts to evaluate a player, and none of the game plans in those games were "Cardale, win us the game."

The more likely scenario is that Miller will transfer somewhere and Barrett and Jones will duke it out in the spring.

Matt Cassel turned this:
During his four seasons there, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

Into a NFL career with 71 started games.

It's not completely bonkers if he goes pro.

Kacar

Most likely to me is Cardale to the NFL. Braxton 1 more year here leaving 2 years for JT. As long as we keep 2 of the 3 it will be fine.

If Cardale does leave though wow.

A hero and a legend. #13 #1 #2 teams and all heisman finalists defeated.

A fucking hero and a legend.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Whoops....

Get comfortable in that recliner, Ohio State fans. It's free.

A furniture chain promised to write off purchases of $1,999 or more made between Dec. 17-30 if the Buckeyes beat Alabama in the College Football Playoff and then won the national championship by at least seven points, The Columbus Dispatch reported.

It was a long shot. First, Ohio State blew away No. 1 seed Alabama on Jan. 1. Then the Buckeyes steamrolled favorite Oregon, 42-20, on Monday to claim the most unlikely of championships.

The promotion was offered at select Ashley Furniture HomeStores and Better Sleep Shops located in Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton and Florence, Ky. More than 500 customers made purchases totaling $1.5 million, parent company Morris Home Furnishings' vice president of marketing Rob Klaben told the Dispatch.
Ohio: where a 7 point win is a blow out.

If Barrett beats out Cardale for the starting job, which is very likely, Cardale sits the bench for the season, barring another Barrett injury. And that's basically a wasted year for him.

Therefore, staying at OSU another year is a pretty big gamble. At least in the NFL if you're sitting the bench you're making some money.

KingGondo

Banned
Cardale should definitely go pro.

The only way his stock is ever higher is if he tears shit up again next season and avoids injury, and guys have been picked in the top 5 with far less justification than him as recently as last year (Blake Bortles).

You're telling me he isn't a better NFL QB prospect than EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, or Christian Ponder?

All of those guys went in the first round over the last few years.

Cardale should definitely go pro.

The only way his stock is ever higher is if he tears shit up again next season and avoids injury, and guys have been picked in the top 5 with far less justification than him as recently as last year (Blake Bortles).

You're telling me he isn't a better NFL QB prospect than EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, or Christian Ponder?

All of those guys went in the first round over the last few years.

I'm torn because I'd love for the Browns to go after him, but I also want him to have a long, successful career, meaning I don't want him to end up on the Browns.

Balphon

You guys may be right, but man, Jones is still going to have a hell of a tough time with such a limited college resume.

I suppose it doesn't matter so long as he can get to training camp somehow.

For sure, though, at least one of those QBs is going to have to get the hell out of Dodge.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm torn because I'd love for the Browns to go after him, but I also want him to have a long, successful career, meaning I don't want him to end up on the Browns.
If you love someone, you should never root for them to go to the Browns.

They'd probably ruin him. They're talking about bringing in Bill Fucking Callahan. I mean come on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If Cardale goes pro, he needs to sit and learn for at least a year. If he stays he sits and learns a non-pro offense. It's a difficult decision, but I think he's a first rounder this year because there aren't any other qb's in the draft worth a shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ohio: where a 7 point win is a blow out.

Just because I hate myself, I checked the play by play:

Derek Henry's last carry in the 1st half is with about 3 or so minutes left in the 1st quarter (7 carries for 56 yards is his 1st quarter stats).

His next touch is around 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

iJ6Xb6TGQeB9o.gif

If that doesn't make me retire Coach Kiffikens Avatar, I don't know what would.

Foosball is over is the reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom