• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news for those on the Kyle Flood watch!!!

Looks like Rutgers is going to cough up the money necessary to keep him!

WE WANT MORE FLOOD! FLOOD IS PRESIDENT FOR LIFE!

cdyhybrid

Friday
(15) Navy v. Houston by 7
Western Michigan v. (24) Toledo by 4
(20) Wazzou v. Washington by 6
(4) Iowa v. Nebraska by 4
Oregon State v. (17) Oregon by 40
(7) Baylor v. (19) TCU by 13

Saturday
(8) Ohio State v. (10) Michigan by 2
(1) Clemson v. SCAR by 21
Colorado v. (23) Utah by 17
Penn State v. (5) Michigan State by 14
(16) Northwestern v. Illinois by 10
(14) UNC v. NCSU by 24
(2) Alabama v. Auburn by 21
(22) UCLA v. USC by 3
Connecticut v. (25) Temple by 3
(18) Mississippi v. (21) Mississippi State by 7
(13) Florida State v. (12) Florida by 7
(6) Notre Dame v. (9) Stanford by 6
(3) Oklahoma v. (11) Oklahoma State by 1 for Gondo

CFP committee doesn't make any sense. It's clearly a bunch of backroom politics with no transparency and no actual measurable criteria. I still can't fathom why they threw out the system they had before for selecting teams and just used the top 4 from the BCS formula to seed the playoffs. Oklahoma winning by 1 point at home against a decimated TCU team pushes them up to number 3? What made Iowa suddenly a great team? What did the shitshow that happened in Colombus do to convince the committee that MSU deserved to go up to 5? Mind boggling...and it could all shift again next week even if all the teams in the top 6 win.

squicken

Weird. Looks like OU wins and they are in. My guess is MSU also controls its destiny. It's good the committee docked NDU for that game with BC. As bad as a win as you can have in late November

Dsyndrome

CFP committee doesn't make any sense. It's clearly a bunch of backroom politics with no transparency and no actual measurable criteria. I still can't fathom why they threw out the system they had before for selecting teams and just used the top 4 from the BCS formula to seed the playoffs. Oklahoma winning by 1 point at home against a decimated TCU team pushes them up to number 3? What made Iowa suddenly a great team? What did the shitshow that happened in Colombus do to convince the committee that MSU deserved to go up to 5? Mind boggling...and it could all shift again next week even if all the teams in the top 6 win.

I figured ND was going down, but listening to Long, the bad win against the Eagles wasn't even the defining reason everyone jumped up. The quality wins by OU, MSU, and Iowa this week were what pushed them up. Because beating Purdue made all the difference in considering Iowa to be top 4 material vice the previous weeks.

Just make the fucking playoff 8 teams and the drama gets vastly alleviated.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I sit here wondering, what happens if:
Penn State beats MSUn
Nebraska beats Iowa
Michigan beats OSUn
Iowa beats Michigan/whomever in Indy
Okie State beats OU
TCU beats Baylor
Stanford beats ND
Oregon? beats Stanford in CCG

Who the fuck gets in

To make Armageddon happen, toss in USCe/Sakerlina or UNC beating Clemson and 2 loss Florida beating Alabama.

Does the 4 become something like this:
FSU
UNC
Navy
Northwestern

Or is it enough bullshit to happen to cause teams to literally stay in place with a loss

Weird. Looks like OU wins and they are in. My guess is MSU also controls its destiny. It's good the committee docked NDU for that game with BC. As bad as a win as you can have in late November

BC is bad but they still have the statistically best defense in the country and it's a rivalry game for them. BC has spoiled ND seasons several times, but never by losing.

The committee's own rankings clearly don't factor into their decision since both Alabama and Iowa only have 1 win versus the CFP top 25 (Iowa's win is more impressive based on their rankings, btw) while ND has two (and their best win against the top 25 is better than both Iowa's and Alabama's based on those rankings).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Penn State beats MSUn
Nebraska beats Iowa
Michigan beats OSUn
Okie State beats OU
TCU beats Baylor
Stanford beats ND

Who the fuck gets in

To make Armageddon happen, toss in USCe/Sakerlina or UNC beating Clemson and 2 loss Florida beating Alabama.

FSU
UNC
Navy
Northwestern

Or is it enough bullshit to happen to cause teams to literally stay in place with a loss

For FSU to have even a remote shot at getting in, UNC would have to lose to NCSt, Clemson lose to USCe, and then lose to UNC. Along with all the other stuff you posted.

cdyhybrid

Penn State beats MSUn
Nebraska beats Iowa
Michigan beats OSUn
Okie State beats OU
TCU beats Baylor
Stanford beats ND

Who the fuck gets in

FSU
UNC
Navy
Northwestern

Nike U and Furd are in the same division. It will be Stanford vs. the winner of UCLA/USC.

xeris

Friday
(15) Navy v. Houston by 7
Western Michigan v. (24) Toledo by 10 don't care as long as WMU loses
(20) Wazzou v. Washington by 6
(4) Iowa v. Nebraska by 4 with a last second touchdown.
Oregon State v. (17) Oregon by 30
(7) Baylor v. (19) TCU by 10 cause screw Baylor

Saturday
(8) Ohio State v. (10) Michigan by 7
(1) Clemson v. SCAR by 21
Colorado v. (23) Utah by 14
Penn State v. (5) Michigan State by 10
(16) Northwestern v. Illinois by 10
(14) UNC v. NCSU by 24
(2) Alabama v. Auburn by 7 cause lol
(22) UCLA v. USC by 4
Connecticut v. (25) Temple by 4
(18) Mississippi v. (21) Mississippi State by 10
(13) Florida State v. (12) Florida by 7
(6) Notre Dame v. (9) Stanford by 6
(3) Oklahoma v. (11) Oklahoma State by 10

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BC is bad but they still have the statistically best defense in the country and it's a rivalry game for them. BC has spoiled ND seasons several times, but never by losing.

The committee's own rankings clearly don't factor into their decision since both Alabama and Iowa only have 1 win versus the CFP top 25 (Iowa's win is more impressive based on their rankings, btw) while ND has two (and their best win against the top 25 is better than both Iowa's and Alabama's based on those rankings).

Alabama's schedule is loaded with teams between 25-37, where most teams drops off way, way back. Playing 9 FBS teams with winning records, compared to ND's 5, Clemson's/OU's/MSUn's 6 and Iowa's 3.

I also don't care how good the stats are on BC's defense. They are 3-8, dead last in the ACC. If Alabama looks terrible and squeeks out a win against Auburn, I now expect them to be outside the top 4, and hoping that Florida beats FSU, to have one last shot to win against a "ranked" team (even one as dead fishy as they are right now)

FyreWulff

it just feels like a mid-way solution until we end up with an 8 team playoff where ranking won't matter outside of seeding since it'll just be whoever wins their conference goes in. Conference championship games would be technically be the start of the 16 team playoff, but only 8 would be inter-conference.

This means the Big 12 needs to get an actual championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom