• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey to testify publicly about Trump confrontations as early as next week

Tovarisc

Fired FBI director James Comey plans to testify publicly in the Senate as early as next week to confirm bombshell accusations that President Donald Trump pressured him to end his investigation into a top Trump aide's ties to Russia, a source close to the issue said Wednesday.

Final details are still being worked out and no official date for his testimony has been set. Comey is expected to appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is investigating possible connections between the Trump campaign and Russia during last year's presidential election.

Comey has spoken privately with Special Counsel Robert Mueller III to work out the parameters for his testimony to ensure there are no legal entanglements as a result of his public account, a source said. Comey will likely sit down with Mueller, a longtime colleague at the Justice Department, for a formal interview only after his public testimony.

When he testifies, Comey is unlikely to be willing to discuss in any detail the FBI's investigation into the charges of possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign -- the centerpiece of the probe, this source said. But he appears eager to discuss his tense interactions with Trump before his firing, which have now spurred allegations that the president may have tried to obstruct the investigation. If it happens, Comey's public testimony promises to be a dramatic chapter in the months-long controversy, and it will likely bring even more intense scrutiny to an investigation that Trump has repeatedly denounced as a "witch hunt."
The source said that Comey is expected to stand by those accounts in his testimony.

"The bottom line is he's going to testify," the source close to the issue said. "He's happy to testify, and he's happy to cooperate."
Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/31/politics/fbi-comey-testimony/index.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Comey, you were the Destroyer of Worlds, now you must Become the Creator of Chaos Emeralds.

SpongebobLife.gif~c200

tbm24

I used to think Comey was Big Boss and Mueller was Snake. But if he does this publically idk what he is anymore.

Cagey

Banned
"Mr. Comey, do you understand your leaking the contents of a conversation you had with the President to the entire nation during testimony under oath is a serious matter, and further, do you understand the gravity of unmasking the President as the other person in the conversation you had during your irresponsible leaks? This Fall, Congress will have to consider the reauthorization of..."

I'd like to start by stating I will only make one statement and one statement only and it is this:

• President Trump must have a superpower and is therefore unlikely to be human or be qualified to be president. I know this by his ability to distinguish myself from similar colored curtains when I was at the white house. I spent weeks practicing my camo stance and he saw right through it. That is not natural and must in fact be superhuman in origin.

Would likely be more than we're actually going to get out of a public testimony while Mueller does his probe

What a snitch. He caused this presidency and now he's doing an about face. Comey should just run in 2020 instead of playing with America's feelings.

LifEndz

We now cut to John McCain sadly looking down at the floor, whispering that this is unacceptable and very concerning.

Surfinn

Well, I'm thinking the big one will be:

"Did you tell the president of the united states that he was not under investigation?"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I think he'll be able to answer it

Surfinn

I think Comey confirming that he did NOT tell Trump that he was not under investigation will be a bombshell. That would publicly confirm that Trump blatantly lied to the entire country in a huge way.

Even if there will be no immediate legal implications, it will hopefully do more damage to his reputation and credibility as the president.

GOP Senator: Can you describe these confrontations?

Comey: he discussed not sports, not his hobbies, but the crowd size at his inauguration

GOP Senator: but what about unmasking?

RusvWHv.gif

In this situation, I don't think Comey would testify unless he had something to say. He leaked the loyalty pledge stuff to get himself here, lets see what he's got.

Yes the Repubs will only ask him about the leaks and these unlawful unmaskings (of Russian spies). Hopefully we get some Dems who ask some real questions here.

mas8705

I can already tell that this is going to be a train wreck of a testimony we're going to get from Comey since no matter what happens, there is going to be complaints. One of three things is going to happen:

1) People are going to complain that Comey didn't expose Trump of the shady things he had done, including his own dismissal.
2) People are going to complain that Comey refused to answer questions, thus making Trump look even more shadier than what he may or may not already be.
or 3) People are going to complain that Comey didn't take action sooner for the sole reason of being able to get rid of Trump sooner for the shady things that he had done.

Needless to say, it all basically revolves around the same thing, but it goes to show that nothing good is going to come from this; even if Comey does spill out all the details.

The article blurb is a pretty good idea of what to expect. He won't talk about the FBI investigation details.

He might give us more insight into when and why the probe started, when the president approached him about Flynn, if he felt the president had given him an order to stop the investigation, and any conversation the president was foolish enough to tweet about (including the loyalty pledge).

All of which will be confirmations of things we "know" courtesy of the NYT and WaPo.

cameron

It's a public hearing and Comey knows that the Dems on the panel will ask the right questions (for the most part). He wouldn't volunteer to testify if he felt the hearing would be entirely useless for the press/public.

Similar to Sally Yates' testimony. She followed Clapper's "no comment" lead on certain on-going investigation questions, but she did manage to provide details regarding the timeline and content of conversations with WH Counsel McGahn regarding Flynn.

Lord Fagan

I'm expecting a whole bunch of "No comment" and fervent speculation on what that means.

Then you're expecting a current government employee actively investigating classified matters to testify, which is slightly in error.

James Comey is currently a private citizen with no such restrictions.

Expect bombshell soundbites, instead.

NYR

I am an eternal pessimist, I still believe this will be a case of "he said-he said" and nothing substantial will happen. :(

Top Bottom