• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey to testify publicly about Trump confrontations as early as next week

Surfinn

Small correction: I've held and expressed this position before Trump ever moaned about Comey.

You thought he enjoyed being in the spotlight before Trump mentioned it? Can I ask why? Doesn't seem like he does anything out of the ordinary when he's in the public. I would think if he wanted the spotlight he would be making more of a show out of it. Seems like a guy who just gets down to business when he's on camera. I dunno

He strikes me as the kind of guy who thinks he really spit in your face, fucking embarrassed you in front of everybody, when all he did is hand you a birthday card that he—unbeknownst to everyone—bought in a priced-down 5-pack, the actual text being full of personal touches.

...What?

Gattsu25

Banned
You thought he enjoyed being in the spotlight before Trump mentioned it? Can I ask why? Doesn't seem like he does anything out of the ordinary when he's in the public. I would think if he wanted the spotlight he would be making more of a show out of it. Seems like a guy who just gets down to business when he's on camera. I dunno
Both his handling of the end of the Clinton witch-hunt (where he said she did nothing illegal but railed against her regardless) and the election-turning letter right before the early voting began.

Both were things that he could have just not done and the world would have continued to turn. Both are things that could have been said through a proxy. Both are things that he made sure his name (and face in the case of the former) were attached to.

Tovarisc

Both his handling of the end of the Clinton witch-hunt (where he said she did nothing illegal but railed against her regardless) and the election-turning letter right before the early voting began.

Both were things that he could have just not done and the world would have continued to turn. Both are things that could have been said through a proxy. Both are things that he made sure his name (and face in the case of the former) were attached to.

According reporting from... last week? (shit moves too fast) he stepped into light and did what he did in relation to Clinton stuff was so he could negate miss information that Russia had generated so it couldn't be used by Russia or other political operators.

Did it harm Clinton? Most likely yes, but there is argument to be made that damage could have been more major if he didn't step in.

Tovarisc

Senate Intel: Former FBI Director Comey to Testify at Senate Intel Committee Next Week
DBP3LkNWsAEdagn.jpg

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/870310970442305536

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can't wait for all the republicans present to focus on "unmasking"

Surfinn

Nice. Finally have a date and time locked up; feels like this was announced ages ago.

Comey is gonna bring bombshells. I can feel it

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm prepared for a whole lot of "I cannot confirm or deny, and please don't read into this answer."

This hearing is about his meetings with Trump and any efforts to impede the investigation, not the actual investigation. If the Democrats stay on topic I expect him to talk quite a bit.

I mean, why would you offer to testify publicly if you didn't want to go on record with what you know?

"I'd like to testify publicly so I can not talk about the thing I told you I wanted to talk about in public"

It makes no sense.

oti

Banned
I wish these hearings were announced a day before. Not an entire week. My HoC S5 marathon is almost over.

Sephzilla

They're going to have to actively pry Trump's phone out of his hands the moment Comey publicly says Trump told him to bury the investigation.

Surfinn

Senate: "We'd like you to testify, Mr President"
Trump: "Can we settle this out of court?"

Realistically though, Trump will never agree to a public testimony.

Does he have a choice if things get bad enough? Don't remember how stuff works at that point

Zolo

Senate: "We'd like you to testify, Mr President"
Trump: "Can we settle this out of court?"

Realistically though, Trump will never agree to a public testimony.

If he had to, that would be nice. Honestly though, Trump would get caught lying about things completely unrelated to questions asked under testimony. It's his nature.

Elandyll

Banned
Any lawyery Gaffer know if tweets are technically admissible to a proceeding/ lawsuit?

They were mentionning on a radio show this morning that Trump might just hang himself in the end.

I am an eternal pessimist, I still believe this will be a case of "he said-he said" and nothing substantial will happen. :(

This. I am thinking worse. He will just say he did it but trump is a good guy or something. He might even bring hilary in.

theWB27

Any lawyery Gaffer know if tweets are technically admissible to a proceeding/ lawsuit?

They were mentionning on a radio show this morning that Trump might just hang himself in the end.

Seems it might be possible considering his EO outcomes?

Expect few new revelations. Much of what interests people will be under lock and key because it's under active investigation. He might be able to characterize his meetings with Trump but I doubt he'll go into much detail.

Morts

If Comey shows up with HD video of Trump giving Putin a handy while discussing collusion, can we have our Supreme Court pick back?

Top Bottom