• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey to testify publicly about Trump confrontations as early as next week

Then you're expecting a current government employee actively investigating classified matters to testify, which is slightly in error.

James Comey is currently a private citizen with no such restrictions.

Expect bombshell soundbites, instead.

Expect him to simply repeat the assertions he has been making.
He's just going to stand by what he already said and that's kind of it.

Sephzilla

Comey's not going to be able to comment on the Russia investigation directly because that's still open. However he can comment about the memos and what Trump said to him. I'm expecting Comey to deliver at least one haymaker and publicly accuse Trump of obstruction of justice.

I am an eternal pessimist, I still believe this will be a case of "he said-he said" and nothing substantial will happen. :(

Comey's "he said" actually has value though. FBI memos are widely accepted as credible evidence.

Love how many people didn't read the OP. He's unable to comment on the Trump-Russia investigation because it's still open. He'll likely confirm / corroborate / deny (?) the WaPo and NYT stories and his own memos. If he confirms that his memos are true, and that Trump blatantly lied to people that would be an excellent press conference. Beyond that, everything else is in Mueller's court.

Again, confirmation of the memos confirms that Trump committed an obstruction of justice. The GOP doesn't give a shit of course but still.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Comey has spoken to Mueller and is cleared to testify publicly, source tells @KenDilanianNBC; could happen as soon as next week

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869969519732826113

He is all cleared.

It's almost like you didn't read the OP

A. This is huge all on it's own
B. The CNN story basically confirms he'll be quiet regarding everything else.

Yup same way he was only able to confirm a investigation was happening last time.

shem935

Banned
As stated in the article, I doubt he will comment on the investigation specifically. Mueller wouldn't want that and Comey isn't dumb enough to just start throwing out details of the investigation. More likely he has his laundry list of notes of interactions with trump. Anything that doesn't jeopardize the criminal investigation is fair game from that.

Should be fun.

Can't wait for the republican senators to torpedo this session by asking the same stupid questions that have shit to do with absolute shit.

Comey has spoken to Mueller and is cleared to testify publicly, source tells @KenDilanianNBC; could happen as soon as next week

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869969519732826113

He is all cleared.

Yup same way he was only able to confirm a investigation was happening last time.

giphy.gif

Can't wait for the republican senators to torpedo this session by asking the same stupid questions that have shit to do with absolute shit.

Something to understand. Comey (or anyone else) will only speak at one of these hearings if Republicans want him to. This committee is Burr's baby, it's not going to do anything that he doesn't approve of. Republicans need to walk the line though. They know what questions the Democrats will ask so that frees Republicans up to ask questions that will help them with their base.

Having Comey appear at all drains the Republican members' political capital a bit so they are going to ask questions that counter that. Doing so doesn't torpedo the session, not as long as Dems show up.

RPGCrazied

All he has to say is he did not tell Trump on any occasion that he wasn't under an investigation. That right there will show just how much of a liar Trump is. He should be able to at least answer that much.

Vic_Viper

Wonder if the reports that he didnt mention he knew the email was fake when he reported his findings. I doubt it will be a big deal but I hope the story doesnt become about it instead of the real story.

Watch as traitor scumbag R Senators leave the hearing after they lob their bullshit unmasking/leaks diversion bombs.

Also, how long before Trump tweets about Comey again.

Tovarisc

Not sure if new news for new thread, but related to Comey and Mueller.

----
DOJ’s Weissmann Joining Mueller’s Russia Investigation Team, Sources Say
  • Andrew Weissmann oversaw VW, bank cases during Obama era
  • Loss of fraud chief leaves another senior post vacant at DOJ
Andrew Weissmann, head of the Justice Department’s fraud section, is joining special counsel Robert Mueller’s team of investigators probing possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, according to people familiar with the matter.

Weissmann is the most senior government official to join Mueller, the former Federal Bureau of Investigation director who became special counsel on May 17, said two people, who asked not to be named discussing a personnel matter that hasn’t been made public. Mueller recently brought on Peter Carr, a veteran spokesman for the Justice Department, to deal with the news media. He also hired at least two lawyers from his former law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr LLP.

Weissmann’s specialties have included corporate fraud and foreign bribery. For two and half years, he has overseen investigations into Volkswagen AG over diesel-cheating, global banks over market manipulation and Brazil’s state-owned oil company Petrobras over corrupt payments.

Weissmann previously worked for Mueller as the FBI’s general counsel from 2011 to 2013. He also has experience with special investigations, having worked on and later managed the Enron task force during the George W. Bush administration.
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ce-official-said-to-jump-to-russia-probe-team

Mueller not fucking around with his team picks.

Sephzilla

Watch as traitor scumbag R Senators leave the hearing after they lob their bullshit unmasking/leaks diversion bombs.

Also, how long before Trump tweets about Comey again.

It won't happen but I'd fucking love to see Comey shut that shit down.

Republican: "So how did the Washington Post acquire knowledge of these memos?"

Comey: "Who gives a shit, I just told you the President broke the law and you're worried about how others found out?"

Lunar15

There's so much riding on this investigation. If neither the Senate nor Mueller actually find anything to confirm what the press leaks have been saying, the credibility of the media is fundamentally shot and we're only going to get far more conservative moving forward.

Surfinn

All he has to say is he did not tell Trump on any occasion that he wasn't under an investigation. That right there will show just how much of a liar Trump is. He should be able to at least answer that much.

This is where I'm at. And maybe he'll bring forward memos/excerpts and confirm that Trump did indeed try and persuade him to drop the Flynn investigation. Possibly even evidence that he tried to slow or halt the entire investigation itself?

At minimum, Comey is going to expose Trump for blatantly lying in the dismissal letter. Remember.. Trump made a specific claim, that Comey told him on THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS that he's not under investigation; Comey confirming this as complete bullshit is huge.

Sephzilla

This is where I'm at. And maybe he'll bring forward memos/excerpts and confirm that Trump did indeed try and persuade him to drop the Flynn investigation. Possibly even evidence that he tried to slow or halt the entire investigation itself?

At minimum, Comey is going to expose Trump for blatantly lying in the dismissal letter. Remember.. Trump made a specific claim, that Comey told him on THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS that he's not under investigation. Comey confirming that his entire claim was complete bullshit is huge.

Yep, along with that he could have the memos where Trump specifically asks him to drop the Russia investigation. So Comey could potentially have a couple if big haymakers ready to go.

Takuan

There's so much riding on this investigation. If neither the Senate nor Mueller actually find anything to confirm what the press leaks have been saying, the credibility of the media is fundamentally shot and we're only going to get far more conservative moving forward.

I have to imagine Comey is more than prepared to drop the biggest of bombs.

Deku Tree

Just a few months ago we all wanted to hang Comey, and now we all hope that he will save us from the Orange One. It's amazing.

Gattsu25

Banned
Right. Why would he agree to a public testimony to say "I can't comment" "I can't comment"?
I get the impression that he enjoys seeing himself in the spotlight. I think that was the reason for all of the questionable decisions that Comey has made.

Surfinn

I get the impression that he enjoys seeing himself in the spotlight. I think that was the reason for all of the questionable decisions that Comey has made.

Yeah I don't think this is true. He's made some bad decisions but the whole "he's a showboater" narrative Trump is trying to push seems like crazy deflection.

He's doing it because he's got something to say. He did it last time because he had something to say (announcing that Trump/co. are being investigated for collusion). I think he felt like he owed it to the public to come out and admit it was going on after the Clinton debacle.

He may have fucked up quite a few times, but there is at least some sort of logical reasoning for some of his mistakes.

Tovarisc

Did he act like it through out his career, seeking spotlight and exposure? If he did then maybe your argument has some ground, but if not...

Also genuinely asking, I don't know how visible he has been during his career.

Sephzilla

If this was the case I think people would have known about James Comey well before the Hillary debacle

Surfinn

If this was the case I think people would have known about James Comey well before the Hillary debacle

Not to mention.. who would want this kind of spotlight? Fucking up with the Clinton stuff? He's making tough (and sometimes very wrong) decisions that no sane person would want "glorified" in public.

They did. Remember the Ashcroft domestic surveillance episode?

I wonder what percentage American citizens knew Comey by name before the Clinton decision right before the election in comparison to now

So he's going to testify, under oath, on Trump confrontations.

This is good. Trump will still deny (in his own fashion), but if we're talking about who I trust more, then the answer is "anybody but the president and his inner circle".

The investigations will be what they will be. This will take time, but I do think this could have the effect of edgy 45 making silly tweets at 3am. We'll see.

Just curious, why wouldn't he be able to comment?

He's a private citizen and can divulge anything he wants...unless he's under gag order, right?

He can't comment on sensitive information. Once you've stepped down, you still don't share confidential info. Pretty sure there's laws against it.

Just curious, why wouldn't he be able to comment?

He's a private citizen and can divulge anything he wants...unless he's under gag order, right?

You cannot talk about sensitive or classified material. He also has to be mindful of Mueller's investigation and not compromise that.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The thing is if Comey goes on the record about these things and the WH or Shit for Brains in Chief contradict what Comey said or deny it...

it means that they will call them to testify as well and whoever lies can go to jail.

This is big.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah I don't think this is true. He's made some bad decisions but the whole "he's a showboater" narrative Trump is trying to push seems like crazy deflection.

He's doing it because he's got something to say. He did it last time because he had something to say (announcing that Trump/co. are being investigated for collusion). I think he felt like he owed it to the public to come out and admit it was going on after the Clinton debacle.

He may have fucked up quite a few times, but there is at least some sort of logical reasoning for some of his mistakes.
Small correction: I've held and expressed this position before Trump ever moaned about Comey.

Tovarisc

The thing is if Comey goes on the record about these things and the WH or Shit for Brains in Chief contradict what Comey said or deny it...

it means that they will call them to testify as well and whoever lies can go to jail.

This is big.
As WSJ poked around to confirm this:
Former FBI Director James Comey is expected to testify as early as next week before a Senate committee that President Donald Trump asked him to back off the investigation of former national security adviser Mike Flynn, according to a person familiar with the matter.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/comey-...fore-senate-intelligence-committee-1496255738

Comey: "Ask me anything I got big info"
Republican: "Is it true you were fired"
Comey: "yes"
Republican: "No one should trusted a fired person. Anything you say doesn't matter"

Goldmund

His 2007 testimony was quite detailed.
He strikes me as the kind of guy who thinks he really spit in your face, fucking embarrassed you in front of everybody, when all he did is hand you a birthday card that he—unbeknownst to everyone—bought in a priced-down 5-pack, the actual text being full of personal touches.

Top Bottom