• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 06/16/04. Can you guess this week's shameless plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond's Shipping List for June 16, 2004

Hmmm... there're a couple of things on that list that I might pimp, but... which one?

Decisions, decisions.
hrmm.gif

FnordChan

This week:

Birds of Prey #68 - Kicking off a new storyline! The Dream Date with Huntress! Gail Simone! Woo!

Seaguy #2 (of 3) - The first issue was pretty great, so sign me up for round two. And, with it only being a three issue mini, why wait for the trade? Grant Morrison is calling you!

Mary Jane #1 - On the strength of the creative team - Sean "Waiting Place, Sentinel" McKeever writing and Takeshi "Sidekicks" Miyazawa on art - I'm tempted to check this out. I'll flip through it on the stand and see how things look.

Runaways 16 - Wherein the kids tussle with their folks. Should be good.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #7 - Can't say the resolution of the first story line did a whole lot for me, but I'm curious to see how Ultimate Doom turns out. Bah! RICHARDS!

Ultimate Spider-Man #61 - On the flip side, Ultimate Carnage looks to be worth reading about, with the last issue being suprisingly good.

Wolverine #16 - Likewise, the Native storyline has been great, and has definately given the book a new lease on life, at least as far as my pull list is concerned.

She Hulk #4 - This may well be the best title Marvel is currently publishing, and it's certainly the most amusing. Read! Now!

So, a slew of solid superhero fare, and a few highpoints, namely Seaguy and Shulkie. You know, they should Team-Up(tm) or something...

Finally, I found this particular gem at the comic shop last week:

23565426234.89.gif

"What could possibly drive you to buy issue #89 of the Defenders?", I hear you cry. The answer is that this is the issue where the anti-team has a fight in a grocery store, buys a lot of beans, and serves a huge pot of 'em up to a hungry Hulk who declares his love for beans and later falls asleep in front of the television. Definately $1.50 well spent.

FnordChan

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #629*
AUTHORITY VOL 2 #13*
BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHTS #54*
BIRDS OF PREY #68
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #508*
CABLE DEADPOOL #4
CAPTAIN MARVEL #24
NEW X-MEN #2
SHE HULK #4*
THOR #81
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #7*
WOLVERINE #16
WOLVERINE THE END #4*
X-MEN #158

Lots of books on the bubble this week. A majority of the * I probably won't pick up, but I want to get a look at them in the store to refresh my memory on where they are...

EX MACHINA #1
GOTHAM CENTRAL #20
SEAGUY #2 (Of 3)
DAREDEVIL #61
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #61
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #7 - Ellis, finally. The first six issues were a total loss, hopefully this will turn things around. I sort of wish that Marvel had waited on launching the book until they had a clear idea of what they wanted to do with it - instead of just going with the safest writing 'team' possible. ('Hey, instead of deciding whether we want Bendis or Millar to write the book... let's get Bendis AND Millar to write it! Genius!')

Uh, anyway, this week is going to be pretty good.

nomoment

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN #1 (Of 6)
EX MACHINA #1
GOTHAM CENTRAL #20
HAWKMAN #29
HUMAN TARGET #11
SEAGUY #2 (Of 3)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #508
DAREDEVIL #61
FANTASTIC FOUR #514

Best week in like... a really long time.

nomoment

Ripclawe said:
comic related, is Wizard price guide still the one to use or is there another?
It's pretty hard to predict what's going to be a 'hot' book these days. Personally, I'd go with eBay as a value/price gauging tool.

Bowser

EX MACHINA #1 (MR)
MONOLITH #5
SEAGUY #2 (Of 3) (MR)
DAREDEVIL #61
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #7
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #61
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #16

Huge week!

Bowser

Here's some nice pages from Tales of the TMNT #3 (came out last week, but I didn't go to the shop so I don't have it yet):

tales03_cover.jpg

01.jpg
02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

Lazy

Where do you guys buy comic books from? I've been looking all over for Astonishing X-Men #1 but I can't find it anywhere. I've checked book stores, convenience stores, and news stands. Just to confirm, it's already been released and is available in Canada?

lordmrw

EX MACHINA #1 (MR)
JSA #62
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #508
THOR #81
X-MEN #158
BATTLE ANGEL ALITA VOL 4
SUIKODEN III VOL 2 GN (Of 4)
WIZARD ANIME INSIDER GHOST IN THE SHELL STAND ALONE CVR #15

It sucks waiting for Battle Angel Alita trades, but since some evil bastard bought the bigger sized trades, i have to wait. I wasn't expecting Suikoden 3 Vol. 2 to come out so fast, and Diamond better not be fucking with me.

MASB

MONOLITH #5
OUTSIDERS #13
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #61
DONALD DUCK AND FRIENDS #317
MICKEY MOUSE AND FRIENDS #266
SHE HULK #4
MARY JANE #1

FnordChan

Lazy said:
Where do you guys buy comic books from? I've been looking all over for Astonishing X-Men #1 but I can't find it anywhere. I've checked book stores, convenience stores, and news stands. Just to confirm, it's already been released and is available in Canada?

It should be out in Canada, yes. Your best bet is to find a specialty comic shop. Diamond's Comic Shop Locator should do the trick.

Just so you know, there are two variant covers for Astonishing X-Men #1, which you probably shouldn't bother with. If you can get 'em for cover price, great, but otherwise just stick with the all-black/Wolverine's claw cover.

FnordChan

This week's shameless plug ended up being...

*drumroll*

shehulk4.jpg

Pooooor Spidey. Everything was going so well, and then Pug had to unknowingly screw it all up.

nomoment

Ex Machina #1 was amazing.

I also picked up She-Hulk #4 after the 10 billionth person recommended the series to me. We'll see if it's worthy of all this hype...

Bowser

nomoment said:
I also picked up She-Hulk #4 after the 10 billionth person recommended the series to me. We'll see if it's worthy of all this hype...

Nomo.

*shakes head*

I am sad to inform you that you are indeed...weaksauce.

:p

nomoment

Bowser said:
Nomo.

*shakes head*

I am sad to inform you that you are indeed...weaksauce.

:p
But... Spider-Man was on the cover!

I'll admit, the fact that it was a Spider-Man story was also a big selling point. :D

Bowser

Haha, I just realized that I haven't been to the shop in three weeks (counting this one)! I would've gone today, but I had to work at my dad's store until 7:30, didn't get home until 8:10ish, and the shop is ~45 minutes away from my house (in downtown Charlotte) and closing time is 9:00. Hope I can go tomorrow sometime, but my dad wants me to come again :/

nomoment

Question to the folks who read Ex Machina #1:

(spoiler tags inserted for obvious reasons)

How did you feel about the last page? Anybody (Americans, and NYers in particular) feel outraged about this alternate take on 9/11?

Apparently, the last page has been generating quite a bit of buzz around comic circles -- I've got a feeling this might be a heated topic in the coming weeks...

MASB

I think I may have taken another step on the road that is comic book geekdom today. When I picked up my issues of Donald Duck and Friends #317 and Mickey Mouse and Friends #266, two of my letters were posted in the letters columns. So yay for me! ;)

FnordChan

MASB said:
I think I may have taken another step on the road that is comic book geekdom today. When I picked up my issues of Donald Duck and Friends #317 and Mickey Mouse and Friends #266, two of my letters were posted in the letters columns. So yay for me! ;)

Hell, you've taken a step back in time on the road of comic book geekdom, as Marvel and DC have generally killed their letter columns entirely. You, sir, rock out completely.

FnordChan

nomoment

Buddy and I are the only guys who read Ex Machina #1?

You've gotta be kidding me. You folks just missed out on the best #1 issue this year.

I didn't get to the shop until today. :p

About that ending:

I don't really find it offensive at all (although I'm not a New Yorker). I'm glad to see an intelligent sort of book incorporating plots and imagery from 9/11, it's certainly better than Captain America digging through the rubble or Dr. Doom shedding a tear or any of that sort of nonsense. And it's definitely better than that whole 'crying firemen' (to use Frank Miller's phrase) genre of comics that was foisted upon us post-9/11. Anyway, pretty good first issue. And that last page of the was absolutely striking.

Best new book of the year? Well, I'm not really crazy about the art. But it's definitely a strong start and more proof that BKV is a comics genius.

BuddyC

nomoment said:
Question to the folks who read Ex Machina #1:

(spoiler tags inserted for obvious reasons)

How did you feel about the last page? Anybody (Americans, and NYers in particular) feel outraged about this alternate take on 9/11?

Apparently, the last page has been generating quite a bit of buzz around comic circles -- I've got a feeling this might be a heated topic in the coming weeks...

It did what it was supposed to, in that it made me immediately understand the character. I wasn't outraged ...it was definately an emotional panel, one that really got to me. I love the concept of a flawed hero though...

Ryu

nomoment said:

You've gotta be kidding me. You folks just missed out on the best #1 issue this year.

My shop was sold out. Now I don't think I'll be able to get it at all. How dissapointing.

lordmrw

nomoment said:

I forgot it at the shop. Since I buy them from the mall, and i work in the mall on weekends, I'll get it then.

nomoment

Buddy and Cheaspeake: Thanks for the replies.
I just wanted to see how other people responded to the final page. As a Canadian, I didn't feel that the events on the page would resonately as strongly. Still wondering how New Yorkers felt about it, though...

Ryu: Early word says that reorders have been pretty crazy on this title. Try and head back to your shop, and ask them to reorder a copy ASAP. There's still a chance to get a copy. I'd get you a copy myself, but it's already sold out in the three shops around my area.

lordmrw: Good man. Please post impressions once you've gotten a chance to read through it.

---

And just to add, She-Hulk #4 was hilarious. The book is charming as hell, and I laughed out loud at least once. This title is very deserving of all the hype from Spike and Fnord, and I'll definitely be continuing with the series. Nice uses of continuity too -- a rarity in a Marvel book!

Ryu

Would the reorders land on the same day as new issues this coming Wednesday or perhaps even sooner then that?

nomoment

Ryu said:
Would the reorders land on the same day as new issues this coming Wednesday or perhaps even sooner then that?
Generally, if the reorder is placed before Saturday of that week, it'll come the next Wednesday. Unfortunately, today is Saturday. So, if you reordered the issue today, it'll probably come in on June 30th.

Books only ship on Wednesday from Diamond.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've just read Ex-Machina 1.
Didn't enjoy it. I like BKV's stuff in general, but
there was something kind of heavy handed about the 'realistic' aspect of the book at the beginning that made me uneasy, and I was expecting something that would touch base on 'real life' towards the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom