• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY! - June 23rd 2004 - Astonishing X-Men #2 ships!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyC

New Wanted! NEW ASTONISHING!

What's the "Director's Cut" of Astonishing #1 - just a reprint sans ads?

Also, did anyone else get a "The Originals" preview last week at their shop? I have to say, it looks quite good.

nomoment said:
No idea.

Seems pretty unexciting and uninspired for a Vertigo title, though.

Guess I'll just flip through it. Thanks.

Otherwise, I'm just getting Astonishing X-Men #2. That and whatever Walking Dead stuff is lying about (thanks Fnord... LOVE this comic heh).

I already have the director's cut and the Del Toro varient coming my way thanks to eBay after this Wednesday.

nomoment

BuddyChrist83 said:
New Wanted! NEW ASTONISHING!

What's the "Director's Cut" of Astonishing #1 - just a reprint sans ads?

Also, did anyone else get a "The Originals" preview last week at their shop? I have to say, it looks quite good.

Looks to be just the same #1 with a new cover, and some Cassaday sketches. Definitely not worth buying, unless you're a completist.

And yeah, picked up that Originals preview - premise sounds great, and Gibbon's artwork is as sharp as ever. I don't know if I'll shell out the full $25 for the hardcover though. I'll just wait for the eventual TPB.

FnordChan

Semjaza Azazel said:
What's the word on Witching #1?

Per Ninth Art:

"Vertigo's book, with script by Jonathan Vankin and art by Leigh Gallagher and Ron Randall, certainly both reads and looks better - you're more likely to be laughing with the comic, rather than at it. The plot boils down to three witches teaming up to undo the evil acts performed by another magician, but Vankin makes it seem a lot more convoluted than that."

So, an improvement over Marvel's new title Witches, if not exactly a must buy.

Speaking of what I must buy:

Wonder Woman #205 - Okay, so perhaps "must buy" is a bit strong here as well...

Astonishing X-Men #2 - There first issue was a perfectly solid read, so count me in for the second.

Captain America and the Falcon #4 - The art is miserable, but Priest's writing is as good as ever and Bart Sears is off the book as of next issue. I'll grit my teeth and soldier on until then.

Lupin III Vol. 14 - And that wraps up Tokyopop's run of Lupin, which is certainly a helluva lot more than I thought would ever be released in the US.

And, the pick of the week:

Queen and Country #25 - This is a special double-sized anniversary issue that's being plugged as a good jumping on point for folks not familiar with the spy goodness. Rucka's writing is consistently great and the adventures of Tara Chase rock my world. Yeah, it's a tad pricey at $6, but for double sized goodness it's a solid buy. Check it out!

FnordChan
'

Bowser

FLASH #211
SLEEPER VOL 2 ALL FALSE MOVES TP (MR) (Probably from Amazon.com)
WANTED #4 (Of 6) (MR)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #509
ASTONISHING X-MEN #2

CATWOMAN #32 - YES. I've been boycotting since DC screwed everything up by putting that awful art team on it. (Really. I feel strongly about this!) I'll make a one-week exception since it's Phillips. This used to be one of my favorites before DC decided to kill it. Sad.

ROBIN #127 - Scott plus Campanella; they were good on Batgirl together, so I'll keep buying their stuff on Robin. (I'm not ashamed to be buying this book. I mean... if people can buy She-Hulk and remain respectable, I can probably get away with Robin.)

WANTED #4
ASTONISHING X-MEN #2

(I wait for the trades on Q&C - I want to flip through this book at the shop, though. Isn't it Rolston on this issue? He was really good on that first arc.)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
AVENGERS #84
EXCALIBUR #2
GI JOE RELOADED #4*
ROBIN #127
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #509*
SUPERMAN #206
TEEN TITANS #12*
WEAPON X #25*
ASTONISHING X-MEN #2

Lots of maybes that will probably turn in to no's... If that Spiderman one is the beginning of the new storyline then that one becomes a yes.

Alucard

Banned
Only Mystique for me this week.

I actually went down to the shop today and picked up about 9 books. I have to say that I'm REALLY enjoying the current Ultimate Spider-Man story arc. I thought that Carnage would be a little boring, but all of the stuff between Peter and Doc Conners has been fantastic. Also, I'm totally shocked that Ultimate X-Men has been quite good for the past 3 issues! Mr. Sinister! Apocalypse! VAUGHN! BRING IT!

nomoment

Alucard said:
Only Mystique for me this week.

I actually went down to the shop today and picked up about 9 books. I have to say that I'm REALLY enjoying the current Ultimate Spider-Man story arc. I thought that Carnage would be a little boring, but all of the stuff between Peter and Doc Conners has been fantastic. Also, I'm totally shocked that Ultimate X-Men has been quite good for the past 3 issues! Mr. Sinister! Apocalypse! VAUGHN! BRING IT!
Alucard, try Ex Machina #1 yet?

It's Vaughan, and it's great. Just came out last week, and I think you'll really enjoy it.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I picked it up too but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll probably do that a little later tonight. I did flip through it briefly and caught the last page. I don't know how I feel about another book focusing on 9/11 but if it's good then it's good and I'll keep reading it. Vaughan hasn't really let me down yet. He's managed to get my interest in Ultimate X-Men up again, so that's an accomplishment in itself.

MASB

PREVIEWS VOL XIV #7
CONAN #5
UNCLE SCROOGE #331
WALT DISNEYS COMICS AND STORIES #646
WALT DISNEYS VACATION PARADE #1

Maybe some others.

Bowser

MASB said:
PREVIEWS VOL XIV #7
CONAN #5
UNCLE SCROOGE #331
WALT DISNEYS COMICS AND STORIES #646
WALT DISNEYS VACATION PARADE #1

Maybe some others.

WTF, How'd I miss Conan? Well, add that to my list.

lordmrw

CONAN #5
FLASH #211
TEEN TITANS #12
WANTED #4 (Of 6)
GRAY AREA #1 (Of 3)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #509
ASTONISHING X-MEN #2
AVENGERS #84
EXCALIBUR #2
CULDCEPT VOL 1 GN (Of 3)
NEOTOPIA PKT MANGA VOL 1 TP
NEWTYPE ENG VER JUL 2004
PC GAMER MAGAZINE W/CD-ROM AUG 2004

Although it puts a hurting on my wallet, these are the weeks that I look forward to. It seems like its been 2 or 3 months since the last Avengers issue, which is weird since Scott Kolins is a reliable artist. The Gray Area has an interesting concept, and I'm a big John Romita Jr whore, so the $6 price tag isn't that big of a hurdle. For some reason, I'm not expecting much from the Culdcept manga, so I'll flip through it in the store first.

Alucard

Banned
Am I the only one here who actually reads Mystique? It's not the most deep book plotwise but it's a solid action read each and every month. Think of it like a popcorn movie, only in comic book form and with a little more substance!

Read Ex Machina a little earlier on. I like the concept and love Vaughan's writing style so I'll definitely be keeping up with this one. The artwork is really nice too. I just hope this one keeps my interest and remains fresh and unique every month.

Oh, and Daredevil is hands-down the best comic book on the market right now. The last issue was damn good and I can't wait to see what happens next between Matt and Milla. BUY THIS BOOK.

The Pulse has also impressed me quite a bit in the first three issues. I think this can be a really good book with a crime story feel. Plus, it's just cool to see Jessica Jones in action again. Keep the good stuff coming!

I'm feeling a little mixed on MK Spider-Man. I love the "older" feel it has but some things just seem kind of out of place. It feels like Millar's trying to pack as many old-school Spidey characters into this book as possible. I'm fine with that if it works, but right now it just seems like a big wink to the fans. On the plus side of things, I LOVE how MJ is drawn in this book. She looks mature and damn sexy. As sexy as a cartoon can look anyways. Actually, seeing the artwork in this book really makes me wish that Kevin Smith would get off his ass and finish the Spider-Man/Black Cat mini.

nomoment

lordmrw said:
Although it puts a hurting on my wallet, these are the weeks that I look forward to. It seems like its been 2 or 3 months since the last Avengers issue, which is weird since Scott Kolins is a reliable artist.
Since Invaders #0 has been delayed (Till early August, not sure why), I think Marvel is purposely holding back new Avengers issues so the issues won't feel so far apart.

BTW lordmrw, picking up Invaders? The preview art has been pretty impressive, and the writer (Allan Jacobson, of King of the Hill fame) seems really enthusiastic about the project.

Alucard said:
I'm feeling a little mixed on MK Spider-Man. I love the "older" feel it has but some things just seem kind of out of place. It feels like Millar's trying to pack as many old-school Spidey characters into this book as possible. I'm fine with that if it works, but right now it just seems like a big wink to the fans.

That's what I love about the book. :)

I've gotten a bit bored of Ultimate Spider-Man lately, and dropped it as of two issues ago. The book is still consistently solid, but I'm just getting bored of the long story arcs... plus, I don't really care about "Ultimate" characters. Growing up on the regular MU, Ultimate titles still feel very 2099 (as in, the titles don't matter) to me. I'm pretty sure Darien feels the same...

lordmrw

nomoment said:
BTW lordmrw, picking up Invaders? The preview art has been pretty impressive, and the writer (Allan Jacobson, of King of the Hill fame) seems really enthusiastic about the project.

I plan on checking it out. It'll be something new, and I think it'll be decent at most.

I've gotten a bit bored of Ultimate Spider-Man lately, and dropped it as of two issues ago. The book is still consistently solid, but I'm just getting bored of the long story arcs... plus, I don't really care about "Ultimate" characters. Growing up on the regular MU, Ultimate titles still feel very 2099 (as in, the titles don't matter) to me. I'm pretty sure Darien feels the same...

I stopped buying single issues of U. Spider-Man around 35 or 36 and went trade only. DOn't get me wrong, I like it, I just read through it so fast. It comes out fast enough that story acrs end sooner, and Marvel has been pretty quick about putting out the trades.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
nomoment said:

Exactly nomo... these aren't the characters I know so they don't hold any long term interest. The only 209..eh Ultimate book I'm still reading is X-men and I'm not sure how long that's going to last.

FLASH #211
SUPERMAN #206
TEEN TITANS #12
WONDER WOMAN #205

very light week.. i might pick those filthy...er, i mean, pick astonishing but i doubt it.

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
FLASH #211
SUPERMAN #206
TEEN TITANS #12
WONDER WOMAN #205

very light week.. i might pick those filthy...er, i mean, pick astonishing but i doubt it.
Read that Amazing Spider-Man #509 preview I posted a few weeks back? Buy it!

nomoment said:
Read that Amazing Spider-Man #509 preview I posted a few weeks back? Buy it!

but JMS has been weak lately. when's he coming on -board the super express? ;)
and no, i didnt read the preview...sorry. a thousand pardons.

Ryu

Superman 206
Astonishing X-Men 2
Spider-man 509
Ex Machina 1 (if they reordered it that is)

That's some good reading right there. Can't wait till tomorrow. :)

Ryu

Astonishing X-Men 2 -- Pretty damn good read. The banter between White Queen and Shadow Cat was nicely done.

Ex Machina 1 -- VERY WELL DONE! Easily the best book of the batch I managed to pick up today.

Amazing Spider-Man 509 -- Nicely done. The unmasking at the end baffled me as I don't know who that is [are we supposed to know?].

Superman 206 -- Not bad. Not great either. It's pretty typical at this point. What's a third world dictator doing with such a sophisticated device?

Wanted 4 -- The other three issues were far better in my opinion. This one feels like more filler to stretch the story out. They could have compressed all of this to a quarter of the pages they used.

I also picked up the first Animal Man trade, but I only read the introduction at this point. Good week overall.

Bowser

Don't know if I'm going to the shop today (hopefully I do), but I went to the library and picked up Watchmen. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is!

FnordChan

Bowser said:
Don't know if I'm going to the shop today (hopefully I do), but I went to the library and picked up Watchmen. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is!

Now, this is where it's at: going down to the library to pick up some comics rather than shell out cash at the bookstore. Let us know how you like Watchmen, and the next time you're at the library keep an eye out for some of these titles:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Sandman by Neil Gaiman et al
Love and Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Those are just a few titles that come to mind which a good library might have on hand. And, even if your local library doesn't carry a lot of comics, there's always inter-library loan. Anyone else got any library-friendly comics suggestions?

FnordChan

Bowser

Ok, I know everyone had a VERY bad experience with Dynamic Forces about 6 months ago, but this is a deal TOO good to pass up!

The deal is buy any TPB or HC from DF and get Sleeper: Out in the Cold and Sleeper: All the False Moves for FREE! I'm trying to convince my parents to let me order it :p

nomoment

Bowser said:
Ok, I know everyone had a VERY bad experience with Dynamic Forces about 6 months ago, but this is a deal TOO good to pass up!

The deal is buy any TPB or HC from DF and get Sleeper: Out in the Cold and Sleeper: All the False Moves for FREE! I'm trying to convince my parents to let me order it :p
Wow, good deal indeed. Hopefully those who haven't checked out the book already will take advantage of this...

And read Astonishing #2... it was good, as expected. The title is VERY Joss Whedon, though, and not so much Marvel in-house style.

nomoment

Ryu said:
Amazing Spider-Man 509 -- Nicely done. The unmasking at the end baffled me as I don't know who that is [are we supposed to know?].
Messageboard nerds have been debating this for weeks now, but I'm fairly certain it's an entirely new character.

Those who have been saying it's Harry Osborn, just need to read the issue more carefully. Why would Harry need to 'test' Peter? Exactly.

Ryu

For some reason, as soon as I saw the face, I thought it was Flash Thompson. Did anything happen to him over the past few years in the regular (non-ultimate) Spider-Man arcs?

nomoment

Ryu said:
For some reason, as soon as I saw the face, I thought it was Flash Thompson. Did anything happen to him over the past few years in the regular (non-ultimate) Spider-Man arcs?
He's crippled, or in a coma, I think. It's definitely not Flash.

BuddyC

here's the part that gets me nomo:

The first chapter of a five-part story arc, featuring the stunning debut of new regular artist Mike Deodato Jr. (INCREDIBLE HULK) and the introduction of two new characters that will be discussed for years to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom