• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

So does every beloved comic book writer just keep at it long enough to be hated? It seems like everyone loved the early stuff by Bendis, Remender, Fraction, etc, but eventually come to despise them...

Fraction and Remender are both excellent writers. Poor writing from them is more of an exception than the rule.

Sex Criminals, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Casanova, Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny Avengers, Deadly Class, Black Science, Low, etc. are all great reads.

I don't know, I'm up to about 2011 on my "fifteen years of Marvel in a couple months" catch up odyssey. And I just got done reading Fraction's Fear Itself which seemed to get pretty universally poor reviews. And I'm not to AXIS yet, but I saw somebody on the last page refer to it as "Remender's horrible ideas".

Maybe it's just that when a writer stays at it long enough, they're going to put some L's on the board sooner or later.

Squire

Banned
Only cynics.

No writer has truly stopped delivering great work, even if it's not as consistent as it once was. It takes a very little for a writer to trigger the Entitlement Gene in the comic reading public at large. "Why isn't this like it used to be?" "Why didn't this end the way I predicted on John Byrne's Message Board?" "Why are there female characters in comics?"

Writers don't get worse, their audience does.

/dead 💀

So does every beloved comic book writer just keep at it long enough to be hated? It seems like everyone loved the early stuff by Bendis, Remender, Fraction, etc, but eventually come to despise them...
I only think Remender's Marvel writing has gotten very old and very weak over the last year but his Image work is still amazing. I don't think he's a bad writer, he's just written a number of very mediocre books.

Also, I don't think Morrison or Gaiman ever got this backlash for example. Morrison in particular has been very prolific for a very long time and he's more popular than ever.

Zombine

Banned
Remender has grown to become one of the leaders of the industry. XXXombies was his humble beginning. Bendis isn't bad, he's just not writing where his strengths lie. Sure, he may love X-Men, and he likes having his name tied to a hot franchise like guardians, but he should be writing "X-Man" and "Guardian of the Galaxy" instead. I think the run has had its ups and downs, but Uncanny/All-New X-Men is the best state the franchise has been in in 15 years.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if the very last page of Avengers or New Avengers wasnt someone saying "everything dies" I consider Hickman's entire run null and void

Owzers

I don't know, I'm up to about 2011 on my "fifteen years of Marvel in a couple months" catch up odyssey. And I just got done reading Fraction's Fear Itself which seemed to get pretty universally poor reviews. And I'm not to AXIS yet, but I saw somebody on the last page refer to it as "Remender's horrible ideas".

Maybe it's just that when a writer stays at it long enough, they're going to put some L's on the board sooner or later.

Events are usually bad too, more marketing slogans than stories.

Hagi

I think just like any medium you're output isn't going to set the world on fire every time you release something new. Those three are all good writers who have made some extraordinary contributions to comics it's just the longer you are in the scene you are going to have a few duds and with the way some fans are, those duds follow you around.

I'm not overly keen on Remenders Marvel output post X-Force but his Image stuff is pure fire.

E the Shaggy

So uhhh I've read the first issue of Secret War. Can I spoil stuff (in tags of course) or is that frowned upon?

I will say I think it has one of the greatest Punisher moments of all time.

Isak_Borg

y'all should go to shops and buy some dang paper

and while you're there pick up The Fuse it's fucking great

I just read issue #1-#11 over the weekend and it really is a great book.

Amazed Hollywood hasn't optioned it because it would translate to a kick ass film.

Only cynics.

No writer has truly stopped delivering great work, even if it's not as consistent as it once was. It takes a very little for a writer to trigger the Entitlement Gene in the comic reading public at large. "Why isn't this like it used to be?" "Why didn't this end the way I predicted on John Byrne's Message Board?" "Why are there female characters in comics?"

Writers don't get worse, their audience does.

I dunno man. Paul Levitz's Legion was pretty good. Everything since then has been a pale shadow of few fucks given.

actually that issue is never coming out.

NO. THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna get a physical copy. I wonder how the digital one reads.

seen the spiderverse hardcover today for 80 euro, was gonna cancel my order a few days ago but it looks awesome and I loved the story.

KaeJAjX.png

was like

oh_yeah_obama.gif

daylight robbery.

I also did this, but I made the mistake of buying the Axis hardcover at the same price.

At least it might look nice on the shelf.

Wait, is this right?

NA and A today
SW 0 Saturday
SW 1 Wednesday
SW 2 the Wednesday after that?

DEAR GOD

My body is not ready.

I think just like any medium you're output isn't going to set the world on fire every time you release something new. Those three are all good writers who have made some extraordinary contributions to comics it's just the longer you are in the scene you are going to have a few duds and with the way some fans are, those duds follow you around.

I'm not overly keen on Remenders Marvel output post X-Force but his Image stuff is pure fire.

I approve of keeping Remender at Marvel just for the salt his work brings on in places that aren't here. Rage of Ultron was great. Not really looking forward to Hydra Secret Invasion when it inevitably happens though.

Batman 40.
I can't accept this ending. Bruce is Batman. It was good, but fuck, like the book says, it's a tragedy. Book did not lift your spirits like the end of Zero Year.

Cetra

Batman #40
I just assumed it was Dick, I mean it would be cool to get a Rises ending but it doesn't really fit with the narrative and whats happening going forward

I thought that at first glance too, but Dick never suffered an eye injury during the fight. Wayne did though. And it's kind of hard to tell if the bandage on the face of the shadow is over the left eye, or across the bridge of the nose. I have to assume that was intentionally left to look that way.

Top Bottom