• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

I love Olivier Coipel's art so much.

I always go back to gushing over how pretty the X-Men (female team) #1 cover is.

Arguably my favourite Storm and Psylocke costumes.

quoting this again because it had me thinking about Miracleman again

c) Book 3 is actually really transcendent superhero comics, it's famous for a really violent extended sequence but the actual ending of it is what's really fascinating to me and I don't think any other comic since has really gone there in quite the same way.

I am excited to read it. Couldn't read yesterday because I was just about finishing up another book. (v1 of Showa: A History of Japan, which is also great).

There was quite a bit of set-up for the third book in the second book.

As for the art you posted, it looks like the Marvel re-prints were recoloured. So after the black and white originals, there are 3 recoloured versions!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...ls-remastered-miracleman-to-eclipse-original/

http://mistahphil.tumblr.com/post/69617657544/miracleman-color-comparisons-from-left

Wolverine: Squirrel Girl and Wolverine, the craziest team up and it works.

Weren't they dating at one point?

Still working through my wishlist. Only really getting into comics last year and only part-time job tier money means there's a lot to catch up on, at a slow pace. So unfortunately haven't gotten to Criminal yet

You should take a look at the Parker series by Darwyn Cooke. Classic noir and each story is self-contained too. There are four out as of now.

I am excited to read it. Couldn't read yesterday because I was just about finishing up another book. (v1 of Showa: A History of Japan, which is also great).

There was quite a bit of set-up for the third book in the second book.

As for the art you posted, it looks like the Marvel re-prints were recoloured. So after the black and white originals, there are 3 recoloured versions!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...ls-remastered-miracleman-to-eclipse-original/

http://mistahphil.tumblr.com/post/69617657544/miracleman-color-comparisons-from-left

Weren't they dating at one point?

You should take a look at the Parker series by Darwyn Cooke. Classic noir and each story is self-contained too. There are four out as of now.
They're on my wishlist. I actually discovered the Parker books a few years back, and really enjoyed them. The series really held up well, and it was interesting seeing how Parker was almost a proto-Jack Reacher

Maybe the first down issue of Omega Men for me? Even then I really wouldn't say it was a down issue, just seems to me like last issue and this one could have maybe been combined somehow. I get the point both are making but they were both made in basically the same way.

Mafro

I feel like Ultimates is on the cusp of something spectacular but it's just going to be totally derailed by that shitty Civil War II event.

tim1138

Maybe the first down issue of Omega Men for me? Even then I really wouldn't say it was a down issue, just seems to me like last issue and this one could have maybe been combined somehow. I get the point both are making but they were both made in basically the same way.

The only bad issue to me was 6 or 7, whichever was going to be the final issue when it was cancelled for a hot minute. I thought last and this month's issues were quite different actually.

Last month
was Kyle realizing the futility of the insurrection if nothing changed. It would be a war of attrition the Omega Men would have lost because their forces weren't unified and we're vastly over numbered by the Citadel

This month
Kyle was doing something about it. He hired the mercenaries which allowed each of the Omega Men to take over their home planets and rally the population against the Citadel

I guess you could have squished it all into one issue but you would have lost the impact of the end of last month's issue and a lot of the overall nuance for this month's.

Zombine

Banned
I love Olivier Coipel's art so much.

I always go back to gushing over how pretty the X-Men (female team) #1 cover is.

Arguably my favourite Storm and Psylocke costumes.

This is the single best cover and single best issue for one of the most boring runs in X-Men history. The only reason I kept reading was for Dodson's art.

The only bad issue to me was 6 or 7, whichever was going to be the final issue when it was cancelled for a hot minute. I thought last and this month's issues were quite different actually.

Last month
was Kyle realizing the futility of the insurrection if nothing changed. It would be a war of attrition the Omega Men would have lost because their forces weren't unified and we're vastly over numbered by the Citadel

This month
Kyle was doing something about it. He hired the mercenaries which allowed each of the Omega Men to take over their home planets and rally the population against the Citadel

I guess you could have squished it all into one issue but you would have lost the impact of the end of last month's issue and a lot of the overall nuance for this month's.

I agree they're different, but the way they were told just felt very similar. The skipping of days, the changing of each perspective and what not. Maybe if it showed more of Kyle's part or something it could have seemed more varied, but mostly it just seemed too similar to me. It moves super fast though so I'm not complaining all that much.

I actually will have to go back and re-read that issue you're talking about again in the collection. When I started catching up on it I don't think I was aware of that at the time and don't really remember much standing out as bad.

Thanks, I've kind of fallen off since Ground Zeroes and they started to get a little formulaic but I'll always love the run of those first 4-5 books.
Oh, yeah, those first few books and the intersection of the street-level crime fiction action with the unsettling hints of cosmic horror were just brilliant. I discovered Jack Reacher and Repairman Jack when I was a bit younger and transitioning from young adult series to more adult series, so they both had a big influence on the kind of genre fiction, tone, style, etc. I enjoy

I feel like Ultimates is on the cusp of something spectacular but it's just going to be totally derailed by that shitty Civil War II event.

I feel like every issue changes the game of the whole universe, literally, so I don't really get the sense that CWII cross overs will change that significantly. It's not like a momentum thing when every issue is all of Secret Wars stuffed into 20 pages.

tim1138

I agree they're different, but the way they were told just felt very similar. The skipping of days, the changing of each perspective and what not. Maybe if it showed more of Kyle's part or something it could have seemed more varied, but mostly it just seemed too similar to me. It moves super fast though so I'm not complaining all that much.

I actually will have to go back and re-read that issue you're talking about again in the collection. When I started catching up on it I don't think I was aware of that at the time and don't really remember much standing out as bad.

I'm sure the similarity was intentional on two levels. First, it's a great trick to show the effects of an extended war on an ensemble cast when you only have ~20 pages to work with each month. Second is the juxtaposition of plans, Kalista's was largely ineffective where as Kyle is getting shit done. I bet if you compare the issues, either the same or a very similar amount of time passes. It's showing that if they would have let Kyle lead from the get go, the whole thing would probably be over by now.

What happened to Poodle?
The tie-ins feel like there going to do their own thing while relating to CWII. There bringing in Thanos.

Oh, yeah, those first few books and the intersection of the street-level crime fiction action with the unsettling hints of cosmic horror were just brilliant. I discovered Jack Reacher and Repairman Jack when I was a bit younger and transitioning from young adult series to more adult series, so they both had a big influence on the kind of genre fiction, tone, style, etc. I enjoy

Very similar story on my part. I went down a huge rabbit hole of reading after I read Legacies for the first time. I got to the end of the book and just wanted more. The end of that book is just so good and so mysterious that I wanted to read nothing but similar stuff at the time.

I'm sure the similarity was intentional on two levels. First, it's a great trick to show the effects of an extended war on an ensemble cast when you only have ~20 pages to work with each month. Second is the juxtaposition of plans, Kalista's was largely ineffective where as Kyle is getting shit done. I bet if you compare the issues, either the same or a very similar amount of time passes. It's showing that if they would have let Kyle lead from the get go, the whole thing would probably be over by now.

When you put it that way I can see that. Reading them closer together will probably convey that really well too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Remember...please...no spoilers for Civil War. It's not out in the US until next Friday.

Man, nobody will spoil that movie here intentionally in the first week, if it happens it is a accident or someone who really wants to be a asshole.

No need to get afraid ;)
Even I managed to get spoilerfree through this thread back then when Guardians of the Galaxy started here one month later, you guys only spoiled the Howard appearence for me and even that was really lowkey :p

Noooo! Waid/Samnee DD v5 is next week too.

So that's

Daredevil By Mark Waid And Chris Samnee Volume 5 HC, $34.99
Guardians Of The Galaxy By Abnett And Lanning Omnibus HC, $100.00
Gotham Central Omnibus HC, $99.99

I need to go see what my current CC rewards points look like...

Other HCs

We Stand On Guard Deluxe HC, $24.99
Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 1 HC (New Printing), $99.99
Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Volume 1 HC (New Printing), $99.99

:/ They need to space their releases out like the movie studios do.

tim1138

So that's

Other HCs

You shouldn't be paying list price for any of that stuff though.

Duress

So that's

Other HCs

That's a lot of moolah

You need to pace yourself, mang!

Calcium

Banned
Just got a hardcover book from Amazon that came in a bubble envelope. Never change, Amazon. You brilliant bastards.

arkon

Only got the first volume of Prophet intitially, but after about 20 pages, I bought all the volumes

Prophet is amazing.

If there's one thing I love most about comics (and games too, they're good at this) is the sense of discovery they can inspire. The best books are great at this, movies too, but without the constraints of budget and limits of reality, comics and games can really bring a world to life on such an epic scale and scope due to their art. Prophet is an absolute masterclass in worldbuilding. There's an overarching story, but it's almost irrelevant. This is perhaps one of the best examples of "It's about the journey, not the destination" since perhaps Inkle's 80 Days

Prophet brings these weird alien civilizations to life, giving them culture and history and personality in a few concise lines, a matter-of-fact tone, and such wonderful art. A fungal caste race in a mold city grown from a living space ship that's planted roots into the earth. A caravan of organic farmers working on the backs of massive beasts traveling through a wasteland of long-abandoned machines.

It's great stuff.

Yeah. It's brilliant and the scope expands massively after that first volume if I'm remembering my issue numbers correctly. The whole thing is finishing off soon with the currently running miniseries too.

GeeTeeCee

If I can borrow the wisdom of ComicGAF for a moment...

I have this problem/gift where I cannot walk into my local comic book shop without inevitability walking out having purchased the first volume of some random Image comic that I liked the look of from the cover and a brief read of the plot summary. Said comic will then end up stuffed into my bookcase and go unread for months on end while I busy myself with my usual DC and Marvel stuff.

No more. I want to get into some new series now and I figure I should start with my backlog. Problem is, where to begin? Out of the following first volumes, which do you recommend I spend my time with first? I have:

Low
Storm Dogs
East of West
Black Science
Velvet
Fatale
Five Ghosts
Zero
The Fuse

There's also FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, but that's Vertigo.

Pretty much the only Image stuff I've read prior to this is Saga, Prophet, Revival and Bedlam, and I didn't keep up with the latter two.

Where should I start?

TheFlow

Banned
If I can borrow the wisdom of ComicGAF for a moment...

I have this problem/gift where I cannot walk into my local comic book shop without inevitability walking out having purchased the first volume of some random Image comic that I liked the look of from the cover and a brief read of the plot summary. Said comic will then end up stuffed into my bookcase and go unread for months on end while I busy myself with my usual DC and Marvel stuff.

No more. I want to get into some new series now and I figure I should start with my backlog. Problem is, where to begin? Out of the following first volumes, which do you recommend I spend my time with first? I have:

Low
Storm Dogs
East of West
Black Science
Velvet
Fatale
Five Ghosts
Zero
The Fuse

There's also FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, but that's Vertigo.

Pretty much the only Image stuff I've read prior to this is Saga, Prophet, Revival and Bedlam, and I didn't keep up with the latter two.

Where should I start?

save low and east by west for last. those are the best you got

fuse is my least favorite on that list. I dropped it around issue 3.

Zombine

Banned
Low is amazing, Fatale makes for a good first volume read, East of West only reads well completely collected IMO, Five Ghosts is fun, Fatale is a great story that I don't think a vol 1 services very well, and the first arc of Black Science is phenomenal.

Top Bottom