• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

GeeTeeCee

Thanks for the responses, it looks like Low is the frontrunner for the moment; I fully admit that I bought it almost entirely down to the strength of the cover, which is not normally something I do with any book, film, comic or game, but lawd:

Low_tp_01.jpg

The only negative is that there's only two volumes available at the moment, one of which I already own. At least it'll be a quick read for now, I suppose.

If I can borrow the wisdom of ComicGAF for a moment...

I have this problem/gift where I cannot walk into my local comic book shop without inevitability walking out having purchased the first volume of some random Image comic that I liked the look of from the cover and a brief read of the plot summary. Said comic will then end up stuffed into my bookcase and go unread for months on end while I busy myself with my usual DC and Marvel stuff.

No more. I want to get into some new series now and I figure I should start with my backlog. Problem is, where to begin? Out of the following first volumes, which do you recommend I spend my time with first? I have:

Low
Storm Dogs
East of West
Black Science
Velvet
Fatale
Five Ghosts
Zero
The Fuse

There's also FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, but that's Vertigo.

Pretty much the only Image stuff I've read prior to this is Saga, Prophet, Revival and Bedlam, and I didn't keep up with the latter two.

Where should I start?
I really enjoyed Black Science

But I noticed a severe lack of Lazarus on your list

Daredevil #6 was exactly what it needed to be to keep me as a reader. It brought back one of Daredevil's best characters, it was filled with some of the best action I've seen in comics since Black Widow #1 and it seeds the mystery of the missing eight months and the return of Matt's secret identity with compelling threads. And Tenfingers wasn't in it. A huge step up from the first 5 issues.

Am I the only one that has the issue of keeping track of the different books with Marvel by the titles? Like, I struggle to remember which Avengers I'm thinking of whether it was Uncanny, All New All Different or The New. I really hate Marvel's naming schemes.

Messi

Thanks for the responses, it looks like Low is the frontrunner for the moment; I fully admit that I bought it almost entirely down to the strength of the cover, which is not normally something I do with any book, film, comic or game, but lawd:

The only negative is that there's only two volumes available at the moment, one of which I already own. At least it'll be a quick read for now, I suppose.

3 is coming out soon.

Owzers

Attilan Rising #1 on MU was okay, but nothing too interesting and continues to add to my lack of comics enthusiasm. Doom reminds me of Trump.

I'm upset because I bought The Infinity Relativity without realizing that it's a sequel.

So the Infinity order is: The Infinity Revelation, The Infinity Relativity, The Infinity Entity, and then The Infinity Finale.
Am I the only one that has the issue of keeping track of the different books with Marvel by the titles? Like, I struggle to remember which Avengers I'm thinking of whether it was Uncanny, All New All Different or The New. I really hate Marvel's naming schemes.

I'm not having difficulty. Marvel's always been like that.

I'm upset because I bought The Infinity Relativity without realizing that it's a sequel.

I'm not having difficulty. Marvel's always been like that.

Before the days of MU I never tried to follow multiple that are similar though, so I guess I'm just struggling attaching the specific name to the book. Had the same struggle with Hickman's run of Avengers because I read it on MU and mostly went back and forth and just saw it as one whole series.

Just a weird struggle to more attach the name to the book. When someone says AND Avengers I pretty much struggle to remember which one that is.

Riptwo

It's Calgary Expo time again! Gonna try to hunt down Ghost Rider 2099 backissues and be met with puzzled looks like usual. Amazing!

Marvel loves those adjectives. It never really bothered me because I don't read many of the books that fall victim to those naming schemes. Though I did buy an issue of Uncanny Inhumans once thinking that it was All-New In humans. So I see how it could be confusing.

Calcium

Banned
Just got my IST order from Tuesday. Probably the best packaging I've seen from them. My entire order is surrounded by those foam packaging inserts. Those books had zero wiggle room in the box. I love IST.

Darkwing Duck #1
For those who don't know, a new Darkwing Duck series started up this week in honor of the franchise's 25th anniversary. The first issue is hilarious and give me fuzzies, even though I've never read the OG series. I did watch the cartoon back in the day. Anyways it's good an y'all should read it.

Meh. Will wait for the trade then before I start Infinity Finale
Yeah the mini finished a couple weeks ago. It was pretty good, but yeah I would wait. I was following it weekly while it was coming out.

Owzers

Just got my IST order from Tuesday. Probably the best packaging I've seen from them. My entire order is surrounded by those foam packaging inserts. Those books had zero wiggle room in the box. I love IST.

DCBS packages stuff in the same manner because they are the same company. I pretty much only buy comics from them. Didn't save my Tokyo Ghost trade though...

Darkwing Duck #1
For those who don't know, a new Darkwing Duck series started up this week in honor of the franchise's 25th anniversary. The first issue is hilarious and give me fuzzies, even though I've never read the OG series. I did watch the cartoon back in the day. Anyways it's good an y'all should read it.

Yeah the mini finished a couple weeks ago. It was pretty good, but yeah I would wait. I was following it weekly while it was coming out.

Good to know, I will have to pick it up.

In "preparation" for Rebirth, I decided to read through the full New 52 runs of Batman and Flash, since they're the characters I'm most interested in from DC.

Reached issue #20 of Flash last night and I'm not feeling it at all. I'll likely finish the full run because I already purchased them and I don't like to make good use of my time, but it's a mess. Story is both incredibly simplistic and straightforward, while managing to bring in random elements that add absolutely nothing. The Grodd stuff is plain terrible.

Everything that makes the TV show silly fun is missing here. Does it get better?

In "preparation" for Rebirth, I decided to read through the full New 52 runs of Batman and Flash, since they're the characters I'm most interested in from DC.

Reached issue #20 of Flash last night and I'm not feeling it at all. I'll likely finish the full run because I already purchased them and I don't like to make good use of my time, but it's a mess. Story is both incredibly simplistic and straightforward, while managing to bring in random elements that add absolutely nothing. The Grodd stuff is plain terrible.

Everything that makes the TV show silly fun is missing here. Does it get better?

I couldn't make it past the first trade of that. So bland in spite of the great art.

tim1138

You've made a terrible mistake

Tragicomedy said:

No.

Got my Civil War tickets! Friday May 6 at 3:20pm. Counting down the hours, now...

Can't do Thursday night, don't want my daughter out that late on a school night. I will, however, pull her out of school early on Friday so we can go before it gets too crowded. ;p

That's about when I dropped it, actually

Not really, but I only started at DCYOU so it could be good between 20-40? Not sure. The Rebirth synopsis has me really interested in the new Rebirth though.

Thanks, all. Confirms my suspicions that the book is all looks, zero substance. I've been bored out of my mind.

Time to transition over to Snyder's Batman then. I've read through the conclusion of Death in the Family, but I'm going to start over and really take it all in from beginning to end. I have zero concerns that it will be anything short of awesome.

Thanks, all. Confirms my suspicions that the book is all looks, zero substance. I've been bored out of my mind.

Time to transition over to Snyder's Batman then. I've read through the conclusion of Death in the Family, but I'm going to start over and really take it all in from beginning to end. I have zero concerns that it will be anything short of awesome.

Honestly, I just finished it this morning and I'm tempted to roll through the whole thing again. Just as soon as I wrap up my backlog (and read Sunstone).

TheFlow

Banned
Someone needs to make a flowchart of image comic recommendations here because it is always ends like this:

*I put Walking Dead, Chew, and Invincible in the long running series section.*

1.are you reading Saga, Deadly Class, or stray bullets? if yes gj

2. do you want to read more great shit out of those 3? if yes pick 3 from below

low
east by west
lazarus
sex criminals
black science

3. read all of the above? ask for personal favorites on comic-GAF

Someone needs to make a flowchart of image comic recommendations here because it is always ends like this:

low
east by west
lazarus
sex criminals
black science

Haven't been to Mangaf in a long time but I liked how they did, which was in the op have a list of like what was most commonly talked about or what was considered must reads for each new OT. Be cool to have some short list for each pub each month. I know I asked a couple times for ANAD.

Haven't been to Mangaf in a long time but I liked how they did, which was in the op have a list of like what was most commonly talked about or what was considered must reads for each new OT. Be cool to have some short list for each pub each month. I know I asked a couple times for ANAD.

We have a separate thread for beginners.

I like our current format. We used to have six books per publisher instead of three but it still looks good. Plus, this month Tyrant linked a bunch of our all-time lists.

TheFlow

Banned

or we can just get a list of everyones top Ongoing comics and add it to op through links.

edit: didn't see the links in the op for newcomers and such my bad

low
east by west
lazarus
sex criminals
black science

Could we actually reach a consensus on what such a list should look like? Like where are Drifter, Southern Bastards, Velvet, Paper Girls, even Rumble should all be up there. Don't we all read and enjoy most of those (except maybe Drifter and Rumble)?

TheFlow

Banned
Could we actually reach a consensus on what such a list should look like? Like where are Drifter, Southern Bastards, Velvet, Paper Girls, even Rumble should all be up there. Don't we all read and enjoy most of those (except maybe Drifter and Rumble)?

I was just going off what we talk about/ read the most. Drifter and Southern Bastards are definitely contenders.

but I think someone mentions a Remender title every page

We should also link the ANAD and. Rebirth Threads

Yeah, this may be a big help. I didn't even know they existed until I randomly saw the Rebirth thread one day. But I'm not in OT too often.

Edit: Don't mean for it to sound like I'm complaining. Was just generally going off the idea of new readers coming into the thread maybe being confused or whatever.

Darkseid War

So going off of what we know is supposed to be revealed in #50
Unless that baby is The Joker, how the fuck is Joker's identity supposed to tie into any of this at all?

Top Bottom