• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I enjoyed Allan Heinberg's Who Is Wonder Woman? arc, but the whole guilt thing over killing Maxwell Lord schtick that was the precursor for this whole storyline was ehhhhhhhhh.

Reading this reminded me how little I know of Diana's sidekick's though. I hope her story arcs post-rebirth feature them more, whether they be in her main comic book or separate Sensation Comics-esque one.

New Ivy fan art by Anka based on one of his friend's design:
tumblr_ocjleqbbra1re8groae.jpg

Too bad that art looks nothing like his interior work.
I distinctly remember him drawing a buttugly Psylocke in one panel during the third (fourth including Battle of the Atom) arc of the all-female X-Men run by Brian Wood.

Still one of my favourite artists though.

I also never realised how hot Kevin Wada is.

Sandfox

I don't really get why Silver Surfer and Spider-Woman are being compared to Angela and the all age books.

"I'm leaving AMS right away if you cancel my pet book."

Or more likely "I'm going to Image to do creator owned work."
I'm sure Slott is the one that wants to be on ASM and I doubt Marvel is in a hurry to cancel Silver Surfer when the current take has been so well received and other books are doing worse.

3 Rumours on why we think Slott is leaving Amazing Spider-man! Trouble in paradise?

I think you really are Rich in disguise.
If I was Rich I would push Avatar at every chance I could. I don't think I've ever read a book from them.

(Were their solicitations even posted? Is anyone reading a book from them?)

Hagi

If I was Rich I would push Avatar at every chance I could. I don't think I've ever read a book from them.

(Were their solicitations even posted? Is anyone reading a book from them?)

I don't even know what Avatar publish, they are further down the totem pole than even BOOM for me.

Nope I haven't read Y: The Last Man. I should add that to the list I am guessing? I am actually quite looking forward to some different types of graphic novels instead of the normal marvel things I have been reading lately. Should be fun.

Y: The Last Man is my favorite comic book ever. It made me a BKV stan.

I also second Donnie's suggestion of Locke & Key. That's more of a horror/science fiction series, and it's pretty much perfect in every way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My fucking hell, Felicia is character assassinated worse then I expected. She is willing to kill three persons because they bought some of the stuff she stole before SpOck put her in prison.
What the hell.

ElNarez

Banned
man the Champions preview

man it's bad and dumb

man you feel it's a comic brought to you by the writer of Strange Fruit

Mark Waid is bad, except when all he has to do is say "okay chris samnee do something cool I'll put words on it"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Annual Issue where Spidey tries to get the phone back to a tourist is actually pretty great.

Next up is finally the ANAD run. Now I am excited.

He's probably one of those people who takes a lot of pride in their work. If he was an office worker, he'd be that one guy who basically never leaves. Close enough to a workaholic.

This is the most logical answer I came up with also. So to me, that would make Frank Millers All-Star Batman the most realistic of the bunch. Yet, one of the most hated.

Hagi

If all work and no play makes Batman a very dull boy? Where is the joy/play in his life?

Bruce seemed a lot more happy during Snyders tenure, in and out of the suit. I liked how he interacted with his extended family and wasn't all brooding all the time. I really need to get to post Morrison Batman and Robin because I've heard a lot of praise about how the dynamic between him and Damian is handled.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Problem of being away from comics for so long? Most of the time I have no clue what's discussed in this thread. Names, titles, sure, narrative arcs... derp.

This is the most logical answer I came up with also. So to me, that would make Frank Millers All-Star Batman the most realistic of the bunch. Yet, one of the most hated.

tumblr_inline_nenq4hMoQA1sb080b.gif

kmfdmpig

man it's bad and dumb

Mark Waid is bad, except when all he has to do is say "okay chris samnee do something cool I'll put words on it"

Waid is not what he used to be, but Kingdom Come, Birthright, Daredevil, Irredeemable and Incorruptible give him enough banked successes that he could have a Claremont level decline and still be great when he hangs it up.

VanWinkle

man it's bad and dumb

...no. Waid has written tons of fantastic stuff.

ElNarez

Banned
oh no don't get me wrong, dude wrote great stuff

it's just, in 2016, Mark Waid is super fucking bad, to the point where I'm actively avoiding any book his name is on (except Black Widow)

What got me thinking about the psychology of Batman was this picture on my IG feed.

jUOBJvb.jpg

I thought long and hard about what the creator meant with this one. The only think I can think of is as children, we want so desperately to grow up and be adults and be part of the system we live in. Once we get there though, you realize that a happy adult life involves not taking things so seriously, laughing at things and kinda just embracing the chaos. Being more child like.

Y: The Last Man is my favorite comic book ever. It made me a BKV stan.

I also second Donnie's suggestion of Locke & Key. That's more of a horror/science fiction series, and it's pretty much perfect in every way.

I like your style man. Both Y and Locke & Key still feel so fresh in the comics medium today and honestly, in wider genre stuff to a fair extent. I'd say half of what makes them so attractive as recommendations to people who want to begin to push outside hero comics is, they feel like what modern cable networks like AMC or FX etc would take a shot on as their next big thing in a post Breaking Bad, The Americans, Preacher airing right now world. It just goes to show how far ahead of the curve some of there books were.

My other go to thought was Scalped (skipped it though because you really need to be into grittier fiction, it's not quite so accessible that way) and lo and behold, hasn't that got a pilot in the works right now?

Hagi

What got me thinking about the psychology of Batman was this picture on my IG feed.

jUOBJvb.jpg

I thought long and hard about what the creator meant with this one. The only think I can think of is as children, we want so desperately to grow up and be adults and be part of the system we live in. Once we get there though, you realize that a happy adult life involves not taking things so seriously, laughing at things and kinda just embracing the chaos. Being more child like.

I'd take it to be as a child you want to be able to be the hero and fix things but when you get older you see how messed up the world truly is so fuck it. If the system is broken, so am I. Sidestepping how 2008 livejournal that is, the typeface on that picture is horrible.

Received my hard covers of Thor and jumped straight in, damn this is so good. I wish the movies were like this.

Top Bottom