• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
People need to learn what the fuck "subject to availability" means

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So who do I get?

That's good. Who else do you like?

What is the artist particularly good at, that makes you love them?

This is actually the hard part for me.

Knowing you want a commission from an artist is the easy part, picking the character they'd be perfect for is tricky.

Zombine

Banned
That's good. Who else do you like?

What is the artist particularly good at, that makes you love them?

This is actually the hard part for me.

Knowing you want a commission from an artist is the easy part, picking the character they'd be perfect for is tricky.

What I typically do is give them free reign. I may guide them on a gender, but I'll ask them to draw whoever is exciting to them. If never fails.

They need to realize that increasing the font size does not actually mean there's more content on your site.

Cyclops: Out of His Shell Tour, with Emma on electric keyboard

I would read it.

Snotgirl was the only thing I read all week but it was dope.

One of the few books I read this week whenever Deus Ex let me get away for a while. I like it, but it snot the best comic I've ever read.

So who do I get? I'm thinking Carol Danvers.

Definitely Carol. Ask him to include some hentai tentacles.

So now that Starman is done and I've cleared the deck of the latest MU comics it is back to Busiek/Perez Avengers. And one observation as I'm reading through issue #4, As much as I love Fractions Hawkeye run I missed super arrogant jerk Hawkeye. He really was the Guy Gardner of the MU eh? He's always up to something. It's fun

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
One of the few books I read this week whenever Deus Ex let me get away for a while. I like it, but it snot the best comic I've ever read.

I see what you did there.

To all the kind replies above: This will be my first Remender book. Now I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

Hagi

Totally Awesome Hulk is surprisingly to me actually totally awesome. I've flew through 8 issues so far and it's been a great read that's made Civil War 2 a little worse as I've gone on. Issue 7 and 8 especially really drove home how much I disliked issue 3 of Civil War and everything surrounding it's use of Bruce Banner.

Amadeus is a great character, really enjoyed him when I read Hercules years ago and I'm happy that I've found him again. Greg Pak comic superstar.

Totally Awesome Hulk is surprisingly to me actually totally awesome. I've flew through 8 issues so far and it's been a great read that's made Civil War 2 a little worse as I've gone on. Issue 7 and 8 especially really drove home how much I disliked issue 3 of Civil War and everything surrounding it's use of Bruce Banner.

Honestly, I stopped reading TAH when Frank Cho stopped drawing it. I know the dude can't keep up with an ongoing at the rate those things ship these days, but his art is fantastic and adds to any book he draws.

Sandfox

Amadeus is a great character, really enjoyed him when I read Hercules years ago and I'm happy that I've found him again. Greg Pak comic superstar.

CW2 has a lot of good tie-ins and the Hulk ones are up there.

Weiss

Banned
bruhs

I ordered the first Claremont X-Men omnibus. I never thought I'd get my hands on it.

The whole order ended up being a bit pricey with everything I ordered and shipping, but that's Canadian comic shopping for ya.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
bruhs

I ordered the first Claremont X-Men omnibus. I never thought I'd get my hands on it.

The whole order ended up being a bit pricey with everything I ordered and shipping, but that's Canadian comic shopping for ya.

Congrats! That's the stuff I grew up on and still love immensely.
I just outed myself as "Old Guy," didn't I?

Hagi

Honestly, I stopped reading TAH when Frank Cho stopped drawing it. I know the dude can't keep up with an ongoing at the rate those things ship these days, but his art is fantastic and adds to any book he draws.

The most recent issue just had Mike Del Mundo draw the shit out of an amazing issue. Cho is great but I'm here for Greg Pak.

CW2 has a lot of good tie-ins and the Hulk ones are up there.

What else should I be reading? I'm going to get back to All-New Wolverine but apart from that my slate is clean.

bruhs

Had this for a while but still need to read it. Happy to hear you managed to find it!

King City is gonna be extremely your shit I think

I still haven't read that one. I enjoyed Multiple Warheads, though. Will I like KC as well?

As for Graham's art, it's hit-or-miss for me. I generally don't like it when he does guest art on other books, but it seems to suit his own stuff fairly well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
so, which Slott Spider-Man stuff should I get off this Comixology sale?

I've already read Superior and Big Time

The ones I'm missing are -

-Spider-Verse
-Danger Zone
-Ends of the Earth
-Flying Blind
-Lizard - No Turning Back
-Matters of Life and Death
-Spider-Island
-Fantastic Spider-Man
-Return of Anti-Venom
-Trouble on the Horizon

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I grew up in the 80's / 90's and I think I'm allergic to comic art from that period.

Hmm... I'm maybe not allergic, but definitely glad we moved on. Reading it now is a bit of a shock at how much more overlined the 90s were compared to the sparse current mainstream style. I think comics are better for it...

I had a brief return to comics in 2008 and was drawn back by Yu's style in New Avengers. He might be my fav artist, or I might have nostalgia-glasses on-- I'll have to wait for his new books in October.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I aprove of that Viv avatar.

And I aprove of Spider Island aswell.

Sandfox

The most recent issue just had Mike Del Mundo draw the shit out of an amazing issue. Cho is great but I'm here for Greg Pak.

What else should I be reading? I'm going to get back to All-New Wolverine but apart from that my slate is clean.

Had this for a while but still need to read it. Happy to hear you managed to find it!

-CA Sam Wilson's tie-ins have been really good
-The most recent issue of Ms. Marvel was strong
- Power-Man and Iron Fist is doing a really good story
- Kingpin is good
- The Fallen is worth a read if you like the Hulk, which it seems you do lol

I'm enjoying other tie-ins as well, but the ones above are the ones I would recommend

so, which Slott Spider-Man stuff should I get off this Comixology sale?

I've already read Superior and Big Time

The ones I'm missing are -

-Spider-Verse
-Danger Zone
-Ends of the Earth
-Flying Blind
-Lizard - No Turning Back
-Matters of Life and Death
-Spider-Island
-Fantastic Spider-Man
-Return of Anti-Venom
-Trouble on the Horizon
Spider-Island
Matters of Life and Dearth
No Turning Back

These are the ones that standout to me.

frye

I still haven't read that one. I enjoyed Multiple Warheads, though. Will I like KC as well?

As for Graham's art, it's hit-or-miss for me. I generally don't like it when he does guest art on other books, but it seems to suit his own stuff fairly well.

Hard to say really but King City is the more complete comic, and it's what I prefer between the two.

Hagi

-CA Sam Wilson's tie-ins have been really good
-The most recent issue of Ms. Marvel was strong
- Power-Man and Iron Fist is doing a really good story
- Kingpin is good
- The Fallen is worth a read if you like the Hulk, which it seems you do lol

I'm enjoying other tie-ins as well, but the ones above are the ones I would recommend

Thanks a lot I'll try to look into some of those, I forgot I was already reading Power-Man and Iron Fist so time to catch up!

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Are you challenging me for my old guy throne?

Hmm... born in 1974. Reading comics since 1979, though I had a break from 1996-2016 (except for a few months in 2008, which didn't take because of graduate school workload).

BTW: Any of you fine peeps interested in comics studies as an academic discipline?

meh. I'm tired of Superdad already. Tomasi had a chance to make him interesting to me, made two good issues and then made a long ass boring ass fight with the Eradicator lasting 4 issues. Looks like I'm on and off again just like new 52 Supes cus I'm not even gonna bother to pick #6 up. Then the book will get interesting again and I'll pick it up only for it to get thrown into a long ass crossover and I drop it again. Such is the way of the Superman line.

Really enjoyed Giant Days v2. Charming and heartfelt without ever feeling like they are trying too hard. Love the art (Both Treiman and Sarin's work). The Friday Night Lights gag was hilarious.

For some reason, till this volume, it completely missed me that this was set in England...

Really enjoyed Giant Days v2. Charming and heartfelt without ever feeling like they are trying too hard. Love the art (Both Treiman and Sarin's work). The Friday Night Lights gag was hilarious.

For some reason, till this volume, it completely missed me that this was set in England...

Genius comic

Weiss

Banned

Congrats! That's the stuff I grew up on and still love immensely.
I just outed myself as "Old Guy," didn't I?

I have the essentials and I bought the MMW with the Proteus Saga when I thought I'd never get my hands on the omnibus. I need that 70s pop art colour for these stories to work for me.

Folks think Claremont begins with the Dark Phoenix Saga and ends with Days of Future Past, but neither of those have Wolverine getting traumatized by Proteus and refusing to fight, so Cyclops throws coffee in his face and beats the hell out of him to get him to stop being a little baby.

tim1138

Hmm... born in 1974. Reading comics since 1979, though I had a break from 1996-2016 (except for a few months in 2008, which didn't take because of graduate school workload).

BTW: Any of you fine peeps interested in comics studies as an academic discipline?

Welp you win, you started reading comics the year I was born.
I have been unseated as thread old guy!

asP4GBs.png

VanWinkle

dat 20 year break

Top Bottom