• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Hagi

I've given up the dream of Superboy Prime returning and being in a good book, all i have left is Trump.

Maybe Sami Zayn being WWE Champ? Probably less likely than president trump.

I was going to say something about the rumours of him appearing in Action Comics but people don't seem to like that book so you'd be right all the same.

Sandfox

I've given up the dream of Superboy Prime returning and being in a good book, all i have left is Trump.

All of that stuff is weird now because according to Didio none of the Crisis events ever happened, but then we've got Convergence.

Everyone here has been talking about Kubo. I just saw it and it was pretty impressive. Time lapse video on youtube of the behind the scenes animation is awesome.

Also just got a library card. It looks like there are a ton of good comics to check out digitally.

Also just got a library card. It looks like there are a ton of good comics to check out digitally.

What's with everyone having these libraries that are stacked like a store haha, I go to my library and there's a few copies of launch new 52 trades that look like a kid wiped his ass for his month tenure with it.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I really just get whatever info i need from solicits, twitter page for info and if it's not there jsut ask.

How do you get the solicits, though (this is a really dumb question, I'm sure)? And yeah, I loaded my twitter feed with comic industry peeps.

My library has two huge sections-- one for superhero stuff and one for graphic novels-- so I get a ton of stuff from them. It's rare for them to NOT have something I'm looking for. And if they don't have it, the college I work for may or I can interlibrary loan it. I am pretty much covered for trades/graphic novels/comics studies stuff. :)

Sandfox

How do you get the solicits, though (this is a really dumb question, I'm sure)? And yeah, I loaded my twitter feed with comic industry peeps.

My library has two huge sections-- one for superhero stuff and one for graphic novels-- so I get a ton of stuff from them. It's rare for them to NOT have something I'm looking for.
The big comic book sites report solicitations.

We live in the Brand Extension II era now. Look at all the geeks that held a world title during the first one. Sheamus, Swagger, Khali, Miz, Rey Mysterio (well he was booked like a geek), Mark Henry, Ziggler. JBL was WWE Champion for almost a year! I'm pretty confident everyone will get a turn between the WWE Championship and the Universal Championship.

I kind of want to get a Universal Championship replica when they launch. I think I'm the only person on Earth who likes how it looks though.

Regarding libraries, mine is rubbish. For pretty much everything at that. They never have anything I want, from any genre, and I go in all the time. No membership fees since the county and city libraries amalgamated, but I'd happily pay a fee if it increased quality.

PsychBat!

Banned
spiderulti-1.jpg

Yay or nay?

I already pre-ordered Pete.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im really enjoying Miles in his various appearances in other books (Avengers, Hulk, Spidey/Deadpool) but I havent read his own book yet. Hows it been?

Nah, not dumb at all man! Sandfox got you covered, they'll just pop up every month, you'll get used to when it's roughly same time every month. Sometimes bleedingcool will leak them because why not. Sometimes you'll have to hunt down small company solicits like oni press, for ages I had to go to this weird geo cities type thing for oni press, think cbr are reporting them again though.

PsychBat!

Banned
Im really enjoying Miles in his various appearances in other books (Avengers, Hulk, Spidey/Deadpool) but I havent read his own book yet. Hows it been?

Slow but entertaining. If you like the teen aspect then I recommend it, it's a breath of fresh air than the usual action packed ASM.

What's with everyone having these libraries that are stacked like a store haha, I go to my library and there's a few copies of launch new 52 trades that look like a kid wiped his ass for his month tenure with it.

Mine had some okay TPBs, but there's also websites where you register your card and can check out all kinds of digital volumes that my library didn't actually have.

Sandfox

It's decent. Like Psychbat said, it's slow, but it's thankfully not as slow as the previous Miles book or the current Guardians and the certain plot point Bendis decided to play the long game with is pretty interesting conceptually. It's better than ASM.
Nah, not dumb at all man! Sandfox got you covered, they'll just pop up every month, you'll get used to when it's roughly same time every month. Sometimes bleedingcool will leak them because why not. Sometimes you'll have to hunt down small company solicits like oni press, for ages I had to go to this weird geo cities type thing for oni press, think cbr are reporting them again though.
Pretty much every site get an exclusive preview of a few solicitations and BC just rounds them up and puts them on one page.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, poking around the Image comics website and I found solicits and upcoming releases. Thanks for the info. (I think I may double dip on the second edition of The Black Monday Murders-- that cover art is sick.)

Also, I just checked and yup, my library has the entire trade run of The Walking Dead. lol

PsychBat!

Banned
All the Spider books have ranged from good to adequate. Nothing great has been happening so far. But nothing awful so Spider-Fans are faring well right now.

All the Spider books have ranged from good to adequate. Nothing great has been happening so far. But nothing awful so Spider-Fans are faring well right now.

Mmm adequate, what I love from my comics haha. Nah I agree really but I did get volume 1 of the latest run of amazing spiderman and it felt like almost nothing happened, despite it being perfectly fine, as you say, very safe and nothing nothing horrible to the character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Really liked the first issue of Miles. Very pleasant, and Blackheart was a nice out of nowhere appearance. The art is gorgeous, what else has this Sara Picheli worked on?

Sandfox

Really liked the first issue of Miles. Very pleasant, and Blackheart was a nice out of nowhere appearance. The art is gorgeous, what else has this Sara Picheli worked on?

Spider-Men and she's the one who drew the cover for the first issue of Ms. Marvel that you see everywhere lol.

Malyse

Harley X Ivy is my favorite romance in comics right now.

I also like how it came about: the rescue from the rocket to Harley figuring it out to ???? to cute overload.

-----

I want Gurihiru on Runaways.

PsychBat!

Banned
Mmm adequate, what I love from my comics haha. Nah I agree really but I did get volume 1 of the latest run of amazing spiderman and it felt like almost nothing happened, despite it being perfectly fine, as you say, very safe and nothing nothing horrible to the character.

Honestly, no Spider book has been super interesting post SW. Amazing is on a slump regardless of the new status quo for Peter. We got Tana Ford instead of Stacey Lee on Silk. Spider-Man 2099's story doesn't justify Sliney's art. Spider-Gwen is still going but no one is talking about it. Miles is probably the only decent Spidey book out there and I've been hearing good things about Spider-Woman. Oh and Web Warriors got cancelled.

Not a bad time to be a Spider-Fan but we don't have a lot to rave about which makes me sad.

Sandfox

Honestly, no Spider book has been super interesting post SW. Amazing is on a slump regardless of the new status quo for Peter. We got Tana Ford instead of Stacey Lee on Silk. Spider-Man 2099's story doesn't justify Sliney's art. Spider-Gwen is still going but no one is talking about it. Miles is probably the only decent Spidey book out there and I've been hearing good things about Spider-Woman. Oh and Web Warriors got cancelled.

Not a bad time to be a Spider-Fan but we don't have a lot to rave about which makes me sad.

I would say every title is at least decent with certain ones standing out as more than that. I like Miles, but wouldn't put his book higher than third.

Rhaknar

Ultimates #3-4 - crazy cosmic crazyness continues as the gang go into the neutral zone outside reality only to run into Blue Marvel's old friend/Nemesis. Im glad someone took the high concept sci-fi cosmic reigns now that Hickman is gone, it feels like Ewing can do whatever he wants in this setup and its exciting. Rocafort's art continues to be fantastic as usual.

Squirrel Girl #3-5 - cute arc with 60s Doctor Doom and lots of time travel shenanigans. I will always hate the art but damn if this book doesnt put a smile on my face. Next arc with Howard should be fun.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ultimates #3-4 - crazy cosmic crazyness continues as the gang go into the neutral zone outside reality only to run into Blue Marvel's old friend/Nemesis. Im glad someone took the high concept sci-fi cosmic reigns now that Hickman is gone, it feels like Ewing can do whatever he wants in this setup and its exciting. Rocafort's art continues to be fantastic as usual.

I'm glad people still like this book for what it's worth.

It's too bad the characters take a back seat to the sci-fi concepts in this though.

I'll catch up eventually.

Sandfox

Generation Zero #1 was awesome. I csn't believe it's a Valiant book.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

In all seriousness I'll read that book once I finish reading the older Valiant stuff. I'm on Harbringer Wars now and I have been lazy because I don't care for Bloodshot.

Steam offering refunds for NMS.

Oh man. If that's not a condemnation, I don't know what is.

I remember the trailer where they showed off that big creature running through the woods and busting down trees, only here we are with stuff like that nowhere to be found in the final game.

Edit: oh man, the Reddit PSA thread about the refund is brutal.

Rhaknar

Illuminati #2-4 - Man, I like this book. Im a big fan of "villains seen as real people" stories and this is nailing that. It reminds me of a more serious Superior Foes. Shame it was canceled so fast. I really like the art aswell, like Power Man and Iron Fist it reminds me of a cartoon (or what a comic based on a cartoon would look like).

Top Bottom