• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

That and TDKR gets every book format known to man. It's crazy.

They specifically keep Watchmen in print to screw over Alan Moore. The original deal was that the rights to the franchise would revert to him and Gibbons once the book was out of print for X number of years. So DC is determined not to let that happen.

I'm really curious as to how many copies they still actually sell.

Sandfox

They specifically keep Watchmen in print to screw over Alan Moore. The original deal was that the rights to the franchise would revert to him and Gibbons once the book was out of print for X number of years. So DC is determined not to let that happen.

It would be funny if they were just cycling the same books out over and over, but with different covers.

I'm waiting for them to just sell the original issues as $5 a piece for both this and TDKR.

VanWinkle

I've heard that, but I'm not sold on that being the whole story. This, along with TDKR, are some of the most well-known graphic novels of all time. This, along with TDKR, stays in print and comes to every format.

I do think it may be in PART to make sure they don't lose the rights, but the book is right up there with TDKR in pedigree.

VanWinkle

YO. Was thinking about get the Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn omnibus in December, but I just bought the four OHCs off of a guy for $40 total! That's barely more than cover price of one of them. So the only thing I'll be missing is Dracula's Gauntlet, but that's fine by me.

Sandfox

YO. Was thinking about get the Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn omnibus in December, but I just bought the four OHCs off of a guy for $40 total! That's barely more than cover price of one of them. So the only thing I'll be missing is Dracula's Gauntlet, but that's fine by me.
I'm jealous lol.

Detective Comics #939

This was the first issue of this series that I truly consider great. Up until now, I felt it was good, but a series that maybe was trying to figure its identity out, thus being a bit inconsitent even within issues. Though it still feels like the cast is too big, it finally felt like a team book rather then Batgirl and Co.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know you guys hate All New X-Men but Im digging it :(

Issue #3 closes out the ghosts of cyclops story, where those dumbass kids get in over their heads and poop their pants, and issue #4 delves on the kids new found fame because they are driving around helping people, and also in Laura being all suicidal because, well she's Wolverine and can just heal back, and how Angel isnt down with that (understandably so to be honest). I like whats going on with the book, and in fact its a precursor of what I kinda expect out of Champions.

Good art too.

All-New_X-Men_4_Preview_2.jpg

Sandfox

Issue #3 closes out the ghosts of cyclops story, where those dumbass kids get in iver their heads and poop their pants, and issue #4 delves on the kids new found fame because they are driving around helping people, and also in Laura being all suicidal because, well she's Wolverine and can just heal back, and how Angel isnt down with that (understandably so to be honest). I like whats going on with the book, and in fact its a precursor of what I kinda expect out of Champions.

Good art too.

I'm the only person here that likes it lol.

List of comics I will buy and not read this week

Future Quest #4
Gotham Academy Annual #1
East of West #29
Jupiter's Legacy Vol.2 #3
Lazarus #24
Saga #37
Tokyo Ghost #10
Ms. Marvel #10
Silver Surfer #6
Spider-Man #7
Art of the Deus Ex Universe

Seeing that Zombie Tramp is on issue #26 makes me wonder if there's something there I'm missing. Most Marvel books don't make it to issue 26.

Traveling for work next week, and plan to hit the comic backlog in the evenings. Hit 700 books on the year, which puts well ahead of the 1K challenge pace.

List!
Lazarus #24
Saga #37
Tokyo Ghost #10

So not a lot, but I'm catching up on all the MU stuff, and still have a crazy Comixology backlog.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Traveling for work next week, and plan to hit the comic backlog in the evenings. Hit 700 books on the year, which puts well ahead of the 1K challenge pace.

List!
Lazarus #24
Saga #37
Tokyo Ghost #10

So not a lot, but I'm catching up on all the MU stuff, and still have a crazy Comixology backlog.

How is MU treating ya?

Sandfox

This upcoming week has some good books dropping.

I love pretty much everything about it. The improved app makes it pure money on my iPad. I still think their website is janky as hell, but never visit it anymore.

DC, where your at?

I have one single issue left to read to be caught up with those. Killed it this week. Trades on the other hand, backlog is overwhelming.

Alan Moore's Providence is incredible, from the visuals, to the subtext, to the psychology, to the occult aspects, to the historical aspects, to the written segments at the end of each issue. I literally can not wait for the next two issues to come out.

I wasn't as into Kingsway West as i hoped, but I may continue to get it because it has a Chinese-Mexican relationship, which is as close to representation i'm gonna get!
We came to the conclusion that frye is the weak link of Team Love Laika in Overwatch

Sorry frye

when you're the squad's weak link

image.php

I admit Supes has been growing on me the last few months. He kind of embodies one of my favorite quotes.

L1MsGwp.jpg
It's just something that has become a lot more interesting as I've gotten older.
COMICS |OT| September 2016. When time runs out, everything ends!
I love it, but:

COMICS! |OT| September 2016 All these Americas pumping all this Iron
Nighthawk has been canceled, but according to Walker, "Marvel/Axel has been very supportive" and the company "has made it clear that they want more of Nighthawk and Tilda".

I loved the book, but it started off poorly in terms of sales so I expected this and I can only hope that the characters end up in a cool book with better sales potential.
Upsetting. It was pretty good. Although that's funny about the poor sales. Only reason I say that is because at my LCS it was one of the more consistently selling books. Like, the first issue was sold out day one. And two and three were sparse on the shelves (forgot to add it to my pulls).
FIGURE-016132.jpg

AOJFLAKSD
SO FUCKING COOL
I can't wait until the Archie Mega Man hiatus ends.
You're gonna have to, because it's never ending because the universe hates us
Illuminati #2-4 - Man, I like this book. Im a big fan of "villains seen as real people" stories and this is nailing that. It reminds me of a more serious Superior Foes. Shame it was canceled so fast. I really like the art aswell, like Power Man and Iron Fist it reminds me of a cartoon (or what a comic based on a cartoon would look like).
Illuminati was died so we could get the putrid shit that was Vote Loki.

Issue #3 closes out the ghosts of cyclops story, where those dumbass kids get in over their heads and poop their pants, and issue #4 delves on the kids new found fame because they are driving around helping people, and also in Laura being all suicidal because, well she's Wolverine and can just heal back, and how Angel isnt down with that (understandably so to be honest). I like whats going on with the book, and in fact its a precursor of what I kinda expect out of Champions.

Good art too.
I think it's a decent book, but it's just decent. Much like ANAD Avengers, it's a pretty decent book with a solid moment here and there. Problem is that, unlike ANAD Avengers, it gets way too caught up in its own drama. Terrible drama, at that. Laura and Warren suck as a pair. Bobby is still boring as fuck, and Hank's a cuntwagon. Scott's way too whiny, but his absence after getting fucking steamrolled has removed that from the book for a bit.

Simply put: Evan is the only reason to give any iota of a fuck about that book, and his arc that occurred recently was boooooooooooring and went nowhere.
Speaking of All-New X-Men, I can stop Bendis' run at #41, right? Cause then it goes into ANAD with a different creative team?
Yup. Make sure to read his Uncanny run. It's far superior.

So, reading Dixon's Robin, and Huntress is shown wearing a black armband with Superman's S symbol on it. I assume that DoS has happened?
I think this is the most important thing to remember. When exactly did he get so shitty? It wasn't overnight. It seemed to happen between Second Coming and Bendis ANXM.
I was just talking about young Hank, but Hank overall? He got shitty AT Second Coming, when he bitched Scott out IN FRONT OF EVERYONE AT KURT'S FUNERAL.

He told Scott that it was all his fault. In front of everyone. When Scott was already feeling like garbage and blaming himself.

So yeah, I'd say about then.

Young Hank became a bitch during this run of ANXM when he realized he couldn't keep up with this era and then decided he was going to take the team back in time WITHOUT TELLING THEM.

Hank McCoy, ladies and gents

Sandfox

So, reading Dixon's Robin, and Huntress is shown wearing a black armband with Superman's S symbol on it. I assume that DoS has happened?

I was just talking about young Hank, but Hank overall? He got shitty AT Second Coming, when he bitched Scott out IN FRONT OF EVERYONE AT KURT'S FUNERAL.

He told Scott that it was all his fault. In front of everyone. When Scott was already feeling like garbage and blaming himself.

So yeah, I'd say about then.

Young Hank became a bitch during this run of ANXM when he realized he couldn't keep up with this era and then decided he was going to take the team back in time WITHOUT TELLING THEM.

Hank McCoy, ladies and gents
The ghosts of Cyclops, Xavier and Wolverine cursed him for trying to mess with one of their redheads.

Finally finished Gotham Central. Fuck me why can't there be more!

Haha so goooood. I really wish there could be more books like this at DC,, both a GCPD type book and in general. Even at the start of the new 52 where they tried really hard to diversify and offer up every genre, they managed military fiction, horror books etc, completely lack this kind of book. Reading Lazarus gives me the feels though, with Rucka & Lark back together.

Come on DC, really?

Haha. There's an argument in there that watchmen was a noir, with the narrative style, the broken compromised heroes and so on, but I did snort to see the implication form DC that it has become Noir, simply because its black and white,

Spider-Gwen is still going but no one is talking about it. Miles is probably the only decent Spidey book out there and I've been hearing good things about Spider-Woman. Oh and Web Warriors got cancelled.

Gwen is the one I've stuck with through trade, book has a lot of style. I imagine if it wans't so integral to the premise having it be an alternate world, they would have folded her into the regular MU as well.

I was going to give Miles a miss, I bought Bendis' first iron man trade and honestly had very similar thoughts towards it as I did the amazing spiderman book, that I could very almost just buy the next volume and that nothing would feel missed. But y'all seem pretty high on Miles, and I'm probably going to humour Bendis for Jessica Jones and Doom Iron Man anyway, so it's not a hard line drawn. Problem with Bendis is, I thought he was a pretty great writer back in the day. Then of course, it started to feel like any Bendis book would be better in trade due to pacing, which is fine, I read in trade. But imo it's up to the point now where you need two trades to get a real plot going on. I'm very much a character first guy with my fiction, so appreciate the groundwork he lays with characters but you need something going on at the same time, especially in comics. There's no episode next week, it's one a month or 6 months til the next trade. I can't wait a year for plot progression.

CEO Spider-Man is a lot of fun

It's definitely a good concept, they could do a lot with it, and it's nice to see characters emphatically shake off their original status quo.Working at Horizon, they could always have pushed him back with the next shake-up, but I like that they've moved him further the other way. If you're going to keep a character going forever, fresh scenarios are cool.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's definitely a good concept, they could do a lot with it, and it's nice to see characters emphatically shake off their original status quo.Working at Horizon, they could always have pushed him back with the next shake-up, but I like that they've moved him further the other way. If you're going to keep a character going forever, fresh scenarios are cool.
I agree but I would still be sad if Amazing Spider-Man never goes back to Streetlevel.
Streetlevel > Every other superhero scenario.

I agree but I would still be sad if Amazing Spider-Man never goes back to Streetlevel.
Streetlevel > Every other superhero scenario.

Haha. I guess it's a little different now with Miles around, they probably are more reticent in order to give them different scenarios. That said, I don't think we live in a world where they genuinely won't put him back there, eventually. Maybe by declaring he can do both, and running another book. Interesting to see what they do around the movie.

Hahah my kid, I don't even know. We're watching dawn of justice, the senator says something about superman having to answer to god or being a god: "superman doesn't believe in God. He believes in aliens. Cos he is one". Deep deep thoughts going on over here.

TheFlow

Banned
saga
east by west
future quest

I just bought all the last two issues of :Batman, wonderwoman, detective, and a bunch of other dc books.

Not sure when I will get to it all. busy working on gundams lol

Next week seems surprisingly small for DC, especially considering they are double shipping so many books.

Ooh, this is finally coming out. The premise and previews are very interesting.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/longestdayofthefuture/

In a futuristic city, two mega-companies share power, while indulging in a thankless war to eliminate the other by any means necessary. The crash of an extraterrestrial flying saucer will, perhaps, change that. This masterfully crafted, witty and irreverent graphic novel is the debut from Argentine cartoonist and graphic designer Lucas Varela. “Inspired by the pioneering comic books of the early twentieth century,” Varela has crafted a wordless thriller reminiscent of the work of Jason (I Killed Adolf Hitler). Under the guise of science fiction, Varela has spun a fable, almost an indictment, against consumerism and unfettered capitalism. The individual no longer exists; it is just a pawn in corporate gamesmanship. As the plot unfolds, and the layers of betrayal accumulate, The Longest Day of the Future also proves to be an addictive thriller.

Top Bottom