• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Cheska

Having Jessica Jones withdrawls ;_; It sucks that I recently re-read Alias, and there's not much more well written material available surrounding the character.

Having Jessica Jones withdrawls ;_; It sucks that I recently re-read Alias, and there's not much more well written material available surrounding the character.

I liked JJ more than Daredevil. But I'm okay that it's over for now. I've got plenty of other things to watch on Netflix. David Tennant was phenomenal, though.

Against my better judgement, but following Korupt's recommendation, I picked up the first 3 issues of the post-Future's End Batman Beyond series in the Robin sale. They were... well, they weren't Batman Beyond, but they weren't that bad, either. I'm assuming things begin to get better (in terms of situation, not quality) soon, because otherwise I doubt it would have lasted past issue 4, and I'm intrigued about what a post-Brother Eye (Or at least post Brother Eye Ruling the World) series could look like. Will probably pick up the rest to get up to date tomorrow or next week.

I still hate the original event for making Jaime a one-panel jobber tho. Feels like forever since he's had so much as a background cameo appearance, and the one time he's got speaking lines he goes down in less than a page... shameful.

I'm actually really interested to see what they do with season 2. They already used the best material!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man I absolutely love everything Asgard related that Marvel is putting out, which is bizarre to me because I never cared about Thor. I love all 3 Asgard books pre-Secret Wars (Thor, Angela and Loki), finishing up Loki now.

I really need to read that previous Jason Aaron Thor run, and also, while not a Asgard book, that Young Avengers run with Kid Loki

Owzers

I don't think the Sejic thing has as much to do with deadlines as it does people not knowing good comics. Or being afraid to take off the Marvel/DC training wheels to go and find other books they might enjoy.

Also, my next DCBS order is ready. Giant Hipster Batgirl statue and the new Catwoman Cover Girl statue are both in-stock.

i asked them to delay my dcbs order for a week to wait for batwoman statue, but then it ended up in my shipment, and they undelayed it. I'm totally going to like this statue.

It seems I'm still on the mailing list from my LCS. I just got an email saying all of tomorrows books aren't in yet and they'll be delayed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOT 4 ME.

Messi

Man I absolutely love everything Asgard related that Marvel is putting out, which is bizarre to me because I never cared about Thor. I love all 3 Asgard books pre-Secret Wars (Thor, Angela and Loki), finishing up Loki now.

I really need to read that previous Jason Aaron Thor run, and also, while not a Asgard book, that Young Avengers run with Kid Loki

Loki is amazing right to the end. Angela gets better in Secret Wars and has continued on that path post SW . Thor is great as usual. Fun books.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
01ZB9Fl.jpg

giphy.gif

Alright. What are the secret wars minis that are worth reading? They're showing up on MU.

I have planned:
Renew Your Vows (spidey marriage for ever!)
Planet Hulk
Old man Logan
Thors

Any others worth reading?

Rhaknar

Alright. What are the secret wars minis that are worth reading? They're showing up on MU.

I have planned:
Planet Hulk
Old man Logan
Thors

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Must reads so far on MU were Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk, Inhumans Attilan Rising

Inferno and Master of Kung Fu to a lesser extent. But ive enjoyed most of them, only a couple of stinkers so far in my opinion

tim1138

I have planned:
Planet Hulk
Old man Logan
Thors

I liked the first issue of Infinity Gauntlet, I read it on MU last night.

Boogiepop

I can't speak to Aaron Thor since I still need to read it myself, but Young Avengers is a great wrap up to the amazing JiM Loki run, plus of course leading into the Loki book that comes after.
Edit: God, brain fart, meant Gillen Thor since that in theory should tie into all the Loki stuff and I've been curious. Aaron Thor is amazing, get on that for sure!

Rhaknar

Gket you really shoukd read all #1s at the very least and then continue or drop the next issues

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I have planned:
Planet Hulk
Old man Logan
Thors

My favorites...

Marvel Zombies
Inhumans
Thors
Infinity Gaunlet
A-Force
Korvac Saga
Siege
Squadron Sinister
The Runaways
Age of Apocalypse

I have planned:
Planet Hulk
Old man Logan
Thors

Infinity Gauntlet is worth it if only for Dustin Weaver's art and designs. He made a post-apocalyptic version of the Cosmic Marvel stuff and it's really cool.
I was reading this yesterday night, picked up the first two trades at the library.

I was rather put off at the beginning. Gave me a Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura vibe (I hate that movie). But it started growing on me and a couple of bits were hilarious.

Really? I was in love from the start myself. I love how goofy it is.

I know I've said it already but I really can't recommend You Are Here and Why I Hate Saturn enough. You Are Here is like a good movie, it's just awesome. I think Why I Hate Saturn would be up your alley.

Messi

Guys. I am really sad that
Ann Nocenti
doesnt have a book right now. I miss her writing sometimes. She should do a new night nurse book.

I loved Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps, A Force, Siege, Infinity Gauntlet, Angela Witch Hunter and Modok assassin and a few more

Messi

-________________________________________________-

It's so much better than the Thor run that came afterwards. You heathen.

I'd say the God butcher stuff is. The rest was good but not great. I can see a case for Jane Thor being better. All good stuff tho.

Rhaknar

-________________________________________________-

It's so much better than the Thor run that came afterwards. You heathen.

Thats good as Im really enjoying Jane Thor. And speaking of things that get a bad rap, this Moon Knight ongoing is pretty trippy and people dismissed it way too fast after the usual Ellis 6 issues in my opinion. Theres been some good stories dealing both with Spector's sanity (or lack thereof) and Khonshu being all sorts of fucked on the gods scale.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thats good as Im really enjoying Jane Thor. And speaking of things that get a bad rap, this Moon Knight ongoing is pretty trippy and people dismissed it way too fast after the usual Ellis 6 issues in my opinion. Theres been some good stories dealing both with Spector's sanity (or lack thereof) and Khonshu being all sorts of fucked on the gods scale.

Yeah, it's still a good comic IMO, not as great as when Ellis wrote it, but still.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Reading Uncanny Inhumans #2. Judged #1 too harshly, really enjoying this.

Also, an ongoing with Kang going on time travelling adventures like The Doctor, would be pretty sweet.

frye

Infinity Gauntlet is worth it if only for Dustin Weaver's art and designs. He made a post-apocalyptic version of the Cosmic Marvel stuff and it's really cool.

Really? I was in love from the start myself. I love how goofy it is.

I know I've said it already but I really can't recommend You Are Here and Why I Hate Saturn enough. You Are Here is like a good movie, it's just awesome. I think Why I Hate Saturn would be up your alley.

Baker is one of the few comics writers I find to be really funny

brilliant cartoonist too when he's not mucking up his own work with computers

Messi

Re read the first 3 Invincible Iron Man issues and I am amazed at how fun and how truly beautiful this book is. I don't really like tony as a character but this book has been awesome. Marquez is so good on everything I've seen him draw. Bendis writing style like suits Tony.

Rhaknar

Waid's Daredevil is really going down the shitter. I mean Matt's life in San Francisco, not the actual book, it's still one of my faves. It's a good thing (or a well planned thing) that the Secret Wars "reboot" was coming because I don't see how this genie would go back in the bottle (not just his identity).

I'm reading comics like my life depended on it the last few day's... feels good :)

Yeah but this is about his solo stuff failing. He says in fb this is likely the end for non Sunstone creator owned books.

Sad to see Switch has failed also.
Already? I was gonna trade wait on Switch, too...
Stick him on... I dunno, a team book with a generally upbeat tone and some relationship drama. Young Justice, that would work.
A new Birds of Prey or a series focusing on the Star Sapphires. I don't know why, but I feel like they need one. Or something, to make them even remotely interesting. All they have is Carol, and that's it.
That's heavy.

Will pick up.
They actually had a Young Justice article being advertised on the main page for the past week or so on dccomics.com, haha. I think this one. Of course, now that I point this out it's no longer on the main page, but there's still evidence, I swear.
I literally just watched that video approximately 24 hours ago.
I've always meant to get into the Alien comics, but I was never too sure what was considered 'canon' and what wasn't.
I don't think any of them are.
Against my better judgement, but following Korupt's recommendation, I picked up the first 3 issues of the post-Future's End Batman Beyond series in the Robin sale. They were... well, they weren't Batman Beyond, but they weren't that bad, either. I'm assuming things begin to get better (in terms of situation, not quality) soon, because otherwise I doubt it would have lasted past issue 4, and I'm intrigued about what a post-Brother Eye (Or at least post Brother Eye Ruling the World) series could look like. Will probably pick up the rest to get up to date tomorrow or next week.

I still hate the original event for making Jaime a one-panel jobber tho. Feels like forever since he's had so much as a background cameo appearance, and the one time he's got speaking lines he goes down in less than a page... shameful.
I only read that BB run for as long as I did because I was in denial. The longer it went, the more it sunk in that Terry's not coming back for awhile. And Tim is so boring in that book. WHY TIM? WHY DC NO LOVE YOU MUCH NO MORES?
Guys. I am really sad that
Ann Nocenti
doesnt have a book right now. I miss her writing sometimes. She should do a new night nurse book.

I loved Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps, A Force, Siege, Infinity Gauntlet, Angela Witch Hunter and Modok assassin and a few more
I'd read a Night Nurse book
(I wouldn't, but I wanted to make you feel like your suggestion wasn't ridiculous, and thus make you feel better)
Reading Uncanny Inhumans #2. Judged #1 too harshly, really enjoying this.

Also, an ongoing with Kang going on time travelling adventures like The Doctor, would be pretty sweet.
Kang is a world-conquering motherfucker.

Glad to see you're liking it. I'm still not a fan of McNiven's art, though. It's really not selling me on it.

I miss Joe Mad.

VanWinkle

Argh, I'm not really enjoying Justice League N52 Vol. 2 like I thought I would. It's okay, but it just seems like I should be liking it more than I am. The characters seem to lack depth, and I find the characterization of Green Arrow VERY odd and unlike him.

Oh well. I'll finish it.

So, since I started getting into comics over the summer I've only really been getting into DC stuff (major graphic novels, some new 52 trades) and Image. I actually got Marvel Unlimited earlier but didn't do much with it because I was a) overwhelmed and b) tried following a reading order which lead me to read some pretty crappy stuff. I'm thinking of re-upping because I really want to read some cape stuff but none of my unread tpbs are cape related.

Anyone have a list of good stuff to read? I read the first 90 or so chapters of Ultimate Spider-Man and plan to finish that first but otherwise I'm down to read anything!

Owzers

So, since I started getting into comics over the summer I've only really been getting into DC stuff (major graphic novels, some new 52 trades) and Image. I actually got Marvel Unlimited earlier but didn't do much with it because I was a) overwhelmed and b) tried following a reading order which lead me to read some pretty crappy stuff. I'm thinking of re-upping because I really want to read some cape stuff but none of my unread tpbs are cape related.

Anyone have a list of good stuff to read? I read the first 90 or so chapters of Ultimate Spider-Man and plan to finish that first but otherwise I'm down to read anything!

i would avoid long runs of random things and stick to smaller definite runs of great things.

Nextwave
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
BKV's Runaways
Millar's first Ultimates run
Hickman's Fantastic Four/ FF run
Brubaker's Captain America
Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dark Corridor is off to a really good start, yet another good Image book to look forward to. Plus, Rich Tomasso is a cool guy and I remember him from around town when I lived in Atl. So, good for him man.

Megatron

Honestly,you can stop reading ultimate spiderman now. By 90 it had already peaked. Jump straight to the final arc,then get to the miles stuff.

i would avoid long runs of random things and stick to smaller definite runs of great things.

Nextwave
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
BKV's Runaways
Millar's first Ultimates run
Hickman's Fantastic Four/ FF run
Brubaker's Captain America
Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts

This is a great list. I personally think Thunderbolts and iron fist can be skipped but everything else here is excellent. I would start with Astonishing X-men.

The only shortcoming of this list is it is missing Bendis's Daredevil. (1998 series,starting with 26) after that read at least Brubaker's first arc, the Devil Inside and Out, and you will probably just be compelled to finish it and move on to Waid's run.
I would also add Ms Marvel and the current Captain Marvel series to the list.

Also, if you are open to older stuff, Miller's Daredevil and Claremont's x-men are top 5 all time runs.

Messi

Already? I was gonna trade wait on Switch, too...

Yep he said sales have been bleh and will out slip as we get further away from #1. Sejic's stuff isn't popular enough to trade wait. The books are dead before Vol 1 comes out. Every pre-order counts on single issues for him and that makes stores order more. By issue 6-7 of death vigil stores had mostly stopped ordering copies and only got them for Pre-orders. No copies on the shelf means no new eyes. I wouldn't worry though by the sound of it his books would need a hell of a lot more than your Pre-orders to survive.

He also said most of his Sunstone sales are coming from places outside of comic stores like Barnes and Noble and Amazon/Archonia. Non comic readers and heavily female audience.

His books must not be meant to come out :(

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis or Mark Waid
Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender

Rhaknar

Spider lady face off time

Silk #1-4 - This book is super cute. And charming. Very fun read with Silk trying to find her place in the world, both as a super hero and trying to find her family. Love the art by Stacey Lee as well (at least in 1-3, issue #4 is a different artist). Very pleasant surprise for a book I had no expectations for. It's a cute book, makes me feel good inside lol.

Spider-Gwen #1- This one on the other hand...not so much :/ Gwen's woe-is-me sob story isn't doing much for me, nor is the universe itself, apart from loving Matt Murdock as Kingpin's sleazy lawyer. Also... it's a kind of a boring book to be honest. Cool art at least, but hype certainly not warranted in this case (I guess it's mostly costume hype isn't it?)

Silk is to Spider-Gwen what Holly Holm was to Ronda Rousey basically.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis or Mark Waid
Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender

He might be a tyrant but he's not a liar, all of those are correct

Messi

Silk #1-4 - This book is super cute. And charming. Very fun read with Silk trying to find her place in the world, both as a super hero and trying to find her family. Love the art by Stacey Lee as well (at least in 1-3, issue #4 is a different artist). Very pleasant surprise for a book I had no expectations for. It's a cute book, makes me feel good inside lol.

Spider-Gwen #1- This one on the other hand...not so much :/ Gwen's woe-is-me sob story isn't doing much for me, nor is the universe itself, apart from loving Matt Murdock as Kingpin's sleazy lawyer. Also... it's a kind of a boring book to be honest. Cool art at least, but hype certainly not warranted in this case (I guess it's mostly costume hype isn't it?)

Wait until Silk turns into an evil scumbag in a few issues. :(

I do agree with your opinions on both books. Vastly preferred Silk over Gwen. Stacey Lee is the regular artist and is really great. Fill ins not so much. But they aren't that often.

Sandfox

Silk is way better than Spider-Gwen and its not even close. I can't stand the latter.

Honestly,you can stop reading ultimate spiderman now. By 90 it had already peaked. Jump straight to the final arc,then get to the miles stuff.
Disagree with this post.

dont skip out on any USM. if you liked it enough to read up through 90 youd like the couple of arcs before Immonen comes on board. The title gets more juice when he does and it doesnt let up from there outside of being muddled with ultimatum.

Once Immonen is off the book, Lafuente comes in for about a dozen issues for my personal favorite era of USM (when its rebranded as ultkmate comics spider-man). its a really really fun time. Then Pichelli comes on for a while and knocks it out the park. Shes briefly followed by Samnee before Bagley comes back to draw the death of peter parker arc.

then you have Pichelli and Marquez come in to work on Miles Morales. its all good stuff really.

I really love the idea of Spider-Gwen, but it just doesn't work for me. It's not bad, but it's very middling. It could very possibly be better with another writer on it. But I feel like Silk is everything that Spider-Gwen should have been in the first place, so Gwenny seems redundant as a result.

Yep he said sales have been bleh and will out slip as we get further away from #1. Sejic's stuff isn't popular enough to trade wait. The books are dead before Vol 1 comes out. Every pre-order counts on single issues for him and that makes stores order more. By issue 6-7 of death vigil stores had mostly stopped ordering copies and only got them for Pre-orders. No copies on the shelf means no new eyes. I wouldn't worry though by the sound of it his books would need a hell of a lot more than your Pre-orders to survive.

He also said most of his Sunstone sales are coming from places outside of comic stores like Barnes and Noble and Amazon/Archonia. Non comic readers and heavily female audience.

His books must not be meant to come out :(

It's tough out there, man. Michael Deforge is immensely talented and prolific. Still needs a side job with Adventure Time to get by. Terry Moore made the popular, classic, best-of-list-maker, Strangers in Paradise. It was still unknown whether he could keep Rachel Rising going. There was talk of him cutting the first (admittedly long) arc short.

Rhaknar

Secret Avengers #13-15 - What a wonderful, weird, fantastic run this was. We need to start including it along with the usual suspects every time people ask for MU recomendations because it's easily up there with them (hell I think it's much better than Uncanny X-Force for example, even if it is a very different book). Great ending to the series that doesn't feel bittersweet, except because we wanted more. Good job Kot / Walsh, good job.

VanWinkle

My latest IST order. Placing it tomorrow when I get paid technically.

istorder1221015.png

Getting the rest of Gotham Central. Man, what an incredible series. Can't wait to finish that up. Also really excited to read Geoff John's Flash run with these new trade paperbacks. And FINALLY buying Li'l Gotham.

Buffy is for my wife for Christmas. I'm getting her all four Season 8 library editions as a gift. Hopefully she will be able to lift it when they're wrapped together, lol.

Tizoc

I changed my mind about it. That always online stuff they put in is infuriating just to watch, let alone deal with in-game. Shame, because I really enjoyed Mad Max. I think I'll wait for a Steam sale.

I could give you at least 3 games worth less than $30 combined that can run no problem on yuour lappy or PC :p

No joke, they are fucking great. I love McDonalds french fries, I often drive to them only because of them, but holy moly, Curly Fries are the best thing ever.

Mickey D's french fries are lame over here, there's not flavour to them.
Now BK french fries? Crispy and tasty~

Top Bottom