• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

My latest IST order. Placing it tomorrow when I get paid technically.

istorder1221015.png

Getting the rest of Gotham Central. Man, what an incredible series. Can't wait to finish that up. Also really excited to read Geoff John's Flash run with these new trade paperbacks. And FINALLY buying Li'l Gotham.

Buffy is for my wife for Christmas. I'm getting her all four Season 8 library editions as a gift. Hopefully she will be able to lift it when they're wrapped together, lol.
Great set of comics. Look forward to reading you GC impressions as it wraps up

i would avoid long runs of random things and stick to smaller definite runs of great things.

Nextwave
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
BKV's Runaways
Millar's first Ultimates run
Hickman's Fantastic Four/ FF run
Brubaker's Captain America
Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis or Mark Waid
Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender
Good list.

Only two cape books I can add to that are:

Spurrier's X-Force (which is actually probably too scummy for a cape book).
Fraction/Soule's Inhuman.
Kot's Secret Avengers.
War of Kings (if you like cosmic war/poltics)
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt

Other than that, all my Marvel recs are up there.
Yep he said sales have been bleh and will out slip as we get further away from #1. Sejic's stuff isn't popular enough to trade wait. The books are dead before Vol 1 comes out. Every pre-order counts on single issues for him and that makes stores order more. By issue 6-7 of death vigil stores had mostly stopped ordering copies and only got them for Pre-orders. No copies on the shelf means no new eyes. I wouldn't worry though by the sound of it his books would need a hell of a lot more than your Pre-orders to survive.

He also said most of his Sunstone sales are coming from places outside of comic stores like Barnes and Noble and Amazon/Archonia. Non comic readers and heavily female audience.

His books must not be meant to come out :(
Damn that sucks.
Secret Avengers #13-15 - What a wonderful, weird, fantastic run this was. We need to start including it along with the usual suspects every time people ask for MU recomendations because it's easily up there with them (hell I think it's much better than Uncanny X-Force for example, even if it is a very different book). Great ending to the series that doesn't feel bittersweet, except because we wanted more. Good job Kot / Walsh, good job.

Fantastic book. Loved that book so damn much. Have all the trades, too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is so stupid; a failed attempt at doing a callback to Executioner's death. The modern art and coloring just makes it look really stupid.

It's Odin with a minigun, shut your pie hole Tizoc!

About halfway through Rachel Rising volume 2 and it's great. I was kind of expecting to see some angel/demon stuff with that one doctor referring to Rachel as an angel, but I'm very interested in seeing where this goes. The art is incredible too.

Tizoc

What's the best Hardcover/TPB published by IDW that collects the 80s TMNT comic? I'm seeing a variety of them @_@

It's Odin with a minigun, shut your pie hole Tizoc!

It's stupid still, even in context it looks idiotic. It worked with Executioner mainly thanks to the writing and how it ended.

Thanks for the recs guys. Might re-sub before winter break just so I have good study break material before finals. Also might check out the stuff leading up to Secret Wars. I've found that New 52 makes it pretty easy to get into DC stuff even though I know some characters have been done pretty badly. Hopefully ANAD does the same.

Thanks for the recs guys. Might re-sub before winter break just so I have good study break material before finals. Also might check out the stuff leading up to Secret Wars. I've found that New 52 makes it pretty easy to get into DC stuff even though I know some characters have been done pretty badly. Hopefully ANAD does the same.

If you need any recs on DC or Indie stuff, there's plenty of that to go around here.

Owzers

I haven't read a print comic since last dcbs' shipment had walking dead and invincible in it. Still haven't read Paper Girls #1 and now #2 along with the other few series i get monthly, nor have i started reading any trades which makes me delay a new IST order for vol 2s of vol 1s i don't get around to.

Fallout 4. Digital Comics. Every time i see a burnt book in Fallout 4 I imagine it was a floppy that someone burned for warmth instead of reading.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GOTG Best Story in the World #1 was not, in fact, the best story in the world. Far from it >_>

Elektra #11 (last issue) was frustrating because it doesn't actually end the story and we'll most likely not get another Elektra book anytime soon. Del Mundo's art continues to be absolutely fantastic at least

Edit: last one for tonight

Spider-Woman #5-7 The new costume phase, and I really really liked this. What a huge surprise, that was so much fun. Love the premise, love the idea of the first arc (D-list villains forced to do jobs because their families are being held hostage), love the art and style... man what a good book. Did I miss you guys talking about this month's ago, or am I just crazy for loving this?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Glad to see this has materialized, it's been in the works a long time.

This sounds amazing.

Kind of like Seagle and Kristiansen's 'It's a bird...' book from Vertigo about how Seagle struggled with the opportunity to write Superman while dealing with family history with Huntington's
Huh, I've never heard of this. Interesting.

I feel like I'm coming to an end of an era in the Marvel Reading Order at the moment, a lot of the old comics (is the correct term 'lines'?) have ended.

Tales to Astonish
Strange Tales
Journey into Mystery
Tales of Suspense

Have all ended within 700-800 in the order. I've just seen I'm approaching 7 years worth of comics read... ouch! I'm looking forward to seeing where the new solo comics go for Captain America, Iron Man & Hulk as I enjoyed their short stories, so hoping they do well with the extra pages.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh it's December. I guess I can start Christmassing my avatar. Lot of good books out this week, Howard the Duck, Doctor Strange, Invincible Iron Man and Vision at Marvel, Paper Girls at Image. Paper Girls has this amazing asthetic (thanks to Chiang) so I'm hoping it keeps it up. Interested in where that goes. New Daredevil (will be hard to top Waid/Samnee's run) and new Hulk too. Will be waiting on impressions for those.

Edit: Also that Spider-Man banner on the OP is amazing.

"The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" artist Robert Hack will guest-illustrate January's "The Black Hood" #8, with Greg Scott joining as new series artist the following month, with issue #9."

So many changes (3 artists in like 3 or 4 issues)
I don't know much about Greg Scott, looked up some CBR previews... I'm excited to see his art on Black Hood !! :)

------------------------

Dark Corridor is off to a really good start, yet another good Image book to look forward to. Plus, Rich Tomasso is a cool guy and I remember him from around town when I lived in Atl. So, good for him man.
I got #1 I liked it, kinda wished I had continued to get the book. Guess ill trade wait it

--------------------------

Someone do me a favor.... Let me know if Red Wolf #1 and/or Daredevil #1 is shit so I can not buy them.
You can have the digital code if you want (in my next DCBS shipment)

Boogiepop

What's the best Hardcover/TPB published by IDW that collects the 80s TMNT comic? I'm seeing a variety of them @_@

It's going to come down to what you want for the one line, which is the Ultimate Collection/The Works. Those collect the issues done by the original creators, and are generally the most worthwhile. The difference between them is that the Ultimate is the comics in their original black and white form, whereas The Works (which is coming out now) are where they've gone back and recolored them.

Then there's the Classics line, which is mostly all the rest of that run (though a handful of issues are still missing due to rights issues and whatnot). And I'd recommend skipping that honestly unless you really, really want more. Essentially TMNT in that era is super indie and disconnected so you don't really need any of these for "continuity", and they're a mixed bag. There was one volume I'd highly recommend and I can look up which one it was if you want, but like I said, not super essential stuff. Oh, and volumes 9 and 10 (the latest ones) are the "volume 2" run, a follow-up to the initial stuff that's decent but not super exceptional.

The thing I WOULD sort of recommend as it introduces some "important" characters and is solid, is the first two volumes of the Tales of the TMNT series. This can be confusing as there are later volumes, but they're something completely different, whereas the first two are like a side series to the original run.

Action Comics #47 was kind rushed, but otherwise not bad. We got some backstory on our villain and an interesting hook for future arcs.

Still wish the shadow stuff had never taken on the prominence it had, but eh.

Comixology is really dragging their feet on new releases today huh?

I think this happens when they're waiting on a publisher to put up comics. In this case, I believe that is Black Mask Studios. It's also annoying because the comic I most want to read this week is from them.

In case you didn't know, most of the comics from other publishers are live already; there's just no New Release page yet.

Gotham Academy #12 was solid. We've wrapped up one mystery only to trade it for another. Clearly got more gas in the tank, I'm just hoping that it doesn't get canceled (not that I expect it to). I love how Arkham Asylum ended up looking, definitely one of my favorite renditions.

Also I'm pretty sure
Olive killed Professor Strange. Or at the very least pyrodefenstrated him.

Well, not Olive. Calamity. Figure out what her/it's deal is should prove some solid fodder for year 2, which again I fully believe we're going to get.

omgkitty

I think this happens when they're waiting on a publisher to put up comics. In this case, I believe that is Black Mask Studios. It's also annoying because the comic I most want to read this week is from them.

In case you didn't know, most of the comics from other publishers are live already; there's just no New Release page yet.

Yeah I've noticed in the past Image always seems to show up after everyone else, but that's normally like 15 minutes late, not almost 2 hours :|

Good lord Sheriff of Babalyon put the "graphic" in graphic novel. I've never seen so much gore in a comic. If this is based on Kings experiences in Iraq, man must have seen some pretty horrific shit. Book was fantastic.

Good lord Sheriff of Babalyon put the "graphic" in graphic novel. I've never seen so much gore in a comic. If this is based on Kings experiences in Iraq, man must have seen some pretty horrific shit. Book was fantastic.

Oh shit, that's out this week? Need to get on that.

Cyborg #5 was... well, it was a step in the right direction. Still too heavy on exposition and technobabble, but bolstered by a lighter, looser tone. Vic complaining about how all the cyborgs on TV are bad guys is bad for his self esteem was pretty great. I'm looking forward to them wrapping up this storyline and moving on to something where the stakes are a little less dire, which would allow the stronger parts of the book to shine.

Midnighter #7 was pretty anticlimatic, tbh. Midnighter literally 2 stronk. It had some solid character moments though. Worth reading just for that. The way that the fallout from Matt is handled basically like any other breakup is kinda funny, in a sad way. Right down to his friends going "oh screw that guy, wasn't good enough for you anyway."

Next arc looks promising, though.

Messi

Guys what is going on with the Guardians. I look on the store and there is a new book I've never heard of called Guardians of Infinity. Anyone have any details on it?

shingi70

Banned
Yo Comicgaf!

Been reading since I was in middle school trade wise, and stared reading monthly with the new 52. Currently read mostly Marvel with some DC in the mix (Batgirl, Justice League, Black Canary, Dk3) and some indie stuff like Sejic, and some Valiant books.

I could give you at least 3 games worth less than $30 combined that can run no problem on yuour lappy or PC :p

Oh I can run it, I've got a good machine, I just don't want to bother with that leaderboard stuff. I'm going to play the Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod with a friend instead.

Yo Comicgaf!

Been reading since I was in middle school trade wise, and stared reading monthly with the new 52. Currently read mostly Marvel with some DC in the mix (Batgirl, Justice League, Black Canary, Dk3) and some indie stuff like Sejic, and some Valiant books.

Cool beans. You seem to be a hybrid of all possible comicgaffers. Quick, what's your opinion on Harley Quinn and Olivia Wilde? And why are you not reading The Omega Men?

Batman & Robin Eternal #9 was legit great comics. Jason and Tim bantering was a ton of fun, adding Bane to the mix was great. Looking forward to the fight next week. And the flashback is getting really interesting. Plus, Dick taking Harper under his wing! Love it.

Messi

Yo Comicgaf!

I like you.

shingi70

Banned
Cool beans. You seem to be a hybrid of all possible comicgaffers. Quick, what's your opinion on Harley Quinn and Olivia Wilde? And why are you not reading The Omega Men?

Batman & Robin Eternal #9 was legit great comics. Jason and Tim bantering was a ton of fun, adding Bane to the mix was great. Looking forward to the fight next week. And the flashback is getting really interesting. Plus, Dick taking Harper under his wing! Love it.

I love Harley and find her a more interesting character without the Joker slinking about. My ideal version of the character for the new 52 reboot woild have been a teenage character who works as a foil for Robin.

Olivia Wilde is okay haven't seen from her outside of Tron and House.

Messi

I love Harley and find her a more interesting character without the Joker slinking about. My ideal version of the character for the new 52 reboot woild have been a teenage character who works as a foil for Robin.

Olivia Wilde is okay haven't seen from her outside of Tron and House.

My clone is here. The Olivia wilde love will grow. It's time for me to leave this community

Yo Comicgaf!

Hello and welcome Shingi!

Top Bottom