• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
According to comiclist, Avengers and Superior are coming out next week. That would be three weeks in a row for Avengers and two for Superior :lol

kswiston

According to comiclist, Avengers and Superior are coming out next week. That would be three weeks in a row for Avengers and two for Superior :lol

Avengers 3 might have been delayed. That's the only explanation I can think of for the gap between 2 and 3 and the rapid-fire release of 4, 5, and 6.

How is X-Men: Age of X?

I liked it, but it wasn't really that necessary a read.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I see Slott's doing his damndest to make people actually wish Peter had died.

lol @ more Uncanny Avengers delays. Dead book walking.

kswiston

I thought the rapid fire release had to do with the fact that 4,5,6 have different artists.

That probably allowed them to turn around the issues so quickly, but the book is supposed to ship twice a month and there was a 5 week or so gap between #2 in mid December and #3 last week. I think that #3 slipped a week. If not, I have no idea what Marvel is doing with their bi-weekly books.

Who the hell is Hyperion?

I am surprised you don't know who Hyperion is given that you seem to have pretty extensive Marvel knowledge. He's part of Squadron Supreme. Most recently seen in the JMS Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme series and a story-arc in the original volume of Exiles. They might have also been in one of those Marvel Zombies books I never read. Squadron Supreme are/were a group of JLA analogues.

Avengers #4 was probably the best issue yet from a story perspective, even if Kubert's art isn't as nice as Opena's. I'm glad that the next few issues seem to be concentrating on the individual. lesser known members of the team. Also, we see a few more connections between Avengers and New Avengers.

Kubert?? :(

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that hates Kubert's art.

frye

AWESOMMEEEEEE!!!!!

Here, have the worst thing DC has done in like actual years.

UuBdcV3.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/what-the-hell-is-going-on-at-dc-comics-thisapril

I am surprised you don't know who Hyperion is given that you seem to have pretty extensive Marvel knowledge. He's part of Squadron Supreme. Most recently seen in the JMS Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme series and a story-arc in the original volume of Exiles. They might have also been in one of those Marvel Zombies books I never read. Squadron Supreme are/were a group of JLA analogues.

I only really have extensive X-Men knowledge. And now that you mentioned he was in eXiles, I remember that arc! Never knew he was a bigger character though.

kswiston

Kubert?? :(

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that hates Kubert's art.

Adam Kubert (who is the better of the two brothers) is uneven. He's a pretty good story-teller, and can pump out some awesome pages, but then you will get some wonky face or pose that snaps you out of the story.

Check out Astonishing Spider-man and Wolverine. From what I remember, he was bringing his A-Game to that book.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I only really have extensive X-Men knowledge. And now that you mentioned he was in eXiles, I remember that arc! Never knew he was a bigger character though.

Mainly know him from Exiles, was also recently in Thunderbolts but I think this is a different Hyperion. Character is a bit convoluted, but could work well with what Hickman is planning.

kswiston

Mainly know him from Exiles, was also recently in Thunderbolts but I think this is a different Hyperion. Character is a bit convoluted, but could work well with what Hickman is planning.

Hyperion doesn't exist in 616 as far as I know, but he does exist in a ton of other Marvel realities. This lets writers basically do what they want with the character. Not matching continuity? "That was a different Hyperion".

Sounds like DC is going to cave and finally start leaking back elements pre-flashpoint in WTF:

While I'm not sure "WTF" is a reaction that you want to elicit in readers (maybe "OMG" would've been a better way to go), here are some teases listed at BuzzFeed about some upcoming books:

Booster Gold reappears while an entire team disappears

One team is trapped in a bottle while another is changed completely
Some heroes change their colors and other change allegiances
Pandora battles to the death
A close encounter of The Dark Knight kind
There's a new, old Creeper and some old New Gods.

One hero quits, and another hero dies

I bet the team that disappears is either Stormwatch or JL Dark (whichever one is selling poorer)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How is X-Men: Age of X?

I had LOOOOOOOOOOOOOW expectations before I read it but I was pleasantly surprised. Worth a read but it's a bit more heady than your typical wham, bam X-Men crossover.

these are WTF certified according to Rich

Booster Gold reappears while an entire team disappears
• One team is trapped in a bottle while another is changed completely
• Some heroes change their colors and other change allegiances
• Pandora battles to the death
• A close encounter of The Dark Knight kind
• There’s a new, old Creeper and some old New Gods.
• One hero quits, and another hero dies

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hyperion doesn't exist in 616 as far as I know, but he does exist in a ton of other Marvel realities. This lets writers basically do what they want with the character. Not matching continuity? "That was a different Hyperion".

That's what I mean by convoluted. It's to the point that "that was a different Hyperion" mostly seems to be the plot twist in stories involving him.

kswiston

Hyperion was in Jeff Parker's thunderbolts last seen getting eating by a Godzilla sized monster.

The different versions of Hyperion also vary hugely in power level. Sometimes he's at Superman level or beyond. Other times he is more along the lines of Colossus or Thing in Strength.

Parch

Not a lot of details, but that is a good idea. I assume it's going to be a website.

I've always thought comics needed to be marketed better. This is especially true for the indie companies. I can look at a cover and still have no idea what it's about and need to do some internet hunting. I wish all the companies would provide actual info about their titles.

Dysun

I'm glad Rise of the Third Army is over, way too long for just a prelude to a real event. Or maybe it felt that way because it encompassed four books...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The different versions of Hyperion also vary hugely in power level. Sometimes he's at Superman level or beyond. Other times he is more along the lines of Colossus or Thing in Strength.

I looked it up and the one in Thunderbolts was actually King Hyperion from Exiles, who is basically a planet buster. The one in Avengers right now is a fresh Hyperion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom