• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing. I forgive the bat books for all the crossovers, but nothing else. If you can't keep everyone on the same page for a crossover then don't do it. If you have to interrupt someone's momentum so you can do a crossover then don't do it. DC needs to get it's shit together. Marvel too, AvX was insanely drawn out and had way too many crossover issues. Though it looks like Marvel may have learned from that.

Why do the bat books get a pass?

Court of Owls got so bloated and boring when all the cross overs happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why do the bat books get a pass?

Court of Owls got so bloated and boring when all the cross overs happened.

It was one or two issues in each book and for the most part it didn't interrupt a whole lot. If anything it gave Nightwing a perfect ending to it's current arc. I'm not saying it's perfect (it didn't need to tie into every book taking place in Gotham), but lets be real it was no AvX either.

kswiston

That's the thing. I forgive the bat books for all the crossovers, but nothing else. If you can't keep everyone on the same page for a crossover then don't do it. If you have to interrupt someone's momentum so you can do a crossover then don't do it. DC needs to get it's shit together. Marvel too, AvX was insanely drawn out and had way too many crossover issues. Though it looks like Marvel may have learned from that.

Even the recent Batman crossovers would be better as isolated stories. Both the Night of the Owls and Death of the Family x-overs resulted in at least one issue of Batman being mostly wasted to set up crap in other books I don't read. Look at what Hickman did on Fantastic Four. You don't need crossovers to tell huge stories.

Even the recent Batman crossovers would be better as isolated stories. Both the Night of the Owls and Death of the Family x-overs resulted in at least one issue of Batman being mostly wasted to set up crap in other books I don't read. Look at what Hickman did on Fantastic Four. You don't need crossovers to tell huge stories.

Exactly. But that isn't working so well for rotworld which is also contained to 2 books.

Owzers

Halloween Eve was okay, no regrets picking it up after Image published it. Hard to recommend though, didn't seem to quite come together in the plot progression through a one-shot.

Also, boo to crossovers that are bad, and yay to crossovers that are good. There is more booing than celebrations.

Comixology and Marvel just downright trolled me. Got an email saying " 3 days only! Over 800 Marvel books on sale"

It's a 10% off sale. 10%. Got me good guys *wink!*

After reading Batman: Face the Face, I was constantly bugged about references to Batman's one year of absence, which apparently was caused by The Infinite Crisis. Obviously I haven't read it, is it any good? And, if it's good, is the story enjoyable by just reading "the core book"?

I don't even know what to think anymore.

I think my exact thought was

xr60eYs.jpg

"What else is on?"

;D

woodypop

After reading Batman: Face the Face, I was constantly bugged about references to Batman's one year of absence, which apparently was caused by The Infinity Crisis. Obviously I haven't read it, is it any good? And, if it's good, is the story enjoyable by just reading "the core book"?
I know it's just a spelling error, but man, that sounds like an Infinity Gauntlet/Crisis crossover!

After reading Batman: Face the Face, I was constantly bugged about references to Batman's one year of absence, which apparently was caused by The Infinity Crisis. Obviously I haven't read it, is it any good? And, if it's good, is the story enjoyable by just reading "the core book"?

It's good if your versed in DC history. Infinite Crisis was basically the culmination of 20 years of storylines dating back to Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985. If you do read it just know the story spills out into 4 storylines that eventually start a chain reaction that leads to The New 52. The essential storylines after IC are (in order of quality)

- Sinestro Corps War
- Final Crisis
- Legion of Three Worlds

the fallout from Final Crisis is felt in the Batman books as well as the Flash and it's the flash book that led to Flashpoint which led to New 52.

it's kinda fun and silly and full of action. It will only give you more questions as far as DC continuity is concerned though. I feel like one of the prequel miniseries was pretty important but it might work without it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The last couple arcs were really bad but I loved New Mutants. :(

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Same here. The characterisations were spot on and the art (Lopez!) frequently great. I loved the Asgard crossover.

Yep. Exiled is what got me to finally check out Gillen's JiM. What a great set of books.

-Mikey-

What will you do with them?
I've never gotten that mentality of buying multiple copies of the same book.

I'm gonna look at them brah. Think I actually read all these comics anyway?

Probably look at them, bag and board them and then brag that I have them. I'm a sucker for alternate covers though! :p

tim1138

I'm gonna look at them brah. Think I actually read all these comics anyway?

Probably look at them, bag and board them and then brag that I have them. I'm a sucker for alternate covers though! :p

Hey that's cool, I didn't know if you framed them or something.

Does anyone collect original cover or interior art? My wife got me two Tyler Kirkham pages from GL:New Guardians as an anniversary gift. It's pretty awesome.

I do like Wacker insistance on taking "odd" styles on his books. Some of them are Ramos sure, but the BND has some of the best art on the shelves for awhile(Martin, Rivera, Rios, Bachalo, Paluido, Fiamura, etc). Mark Waid's DD still looked good sans Rivera and Martin, and he just got Franchesco on Hawkeye, and Stegman on Spidey

Looking at that Captain Marvel artwork... I have to say, if they'd started off with that I might still be reading it. Like Soy, however, the colorist isn't doing that artist any favors, although for the opposite reasons; stronger blacks are needed to emphasize the linework here, whereas with Soy the artwork was obscured in muddy darkness.

JEKKI

Comixology and Marvel just downright trolled me. Got an email saying " 3 days only! Over 800 Marvel books on sale"

It's a 10% off sale. 10%. Got me good guys *wink!*
I finished Daredevil vol. 2 trade and I've been waiting frikken forever for Avenging Spiderman #6 to go down in price so I can read the Omega Drive story arc.

whatevs... it isn't $1.99 but after waiting so long, 10% off will jus have to do...

frye

Looking at that Captain Marvel artwork... I have to say, if they'd started off with that I might still be reading it. Like Soy, however, the colorist isn't doing that artist any favors, although for the opposite reasons; stronger blacks are needed to emphasize the linework here, whereas with Soy the artwork was obscured in muddy darkness.

I'm pretty sure Soy coloured his own work - this one is by Jordie Bellaire, who tends to be a much brighter colourist. I dig it a lot actually. There not being a lot of heavy blacks kinda fits with the breezy aesthetic of Andrade.

e:
I read Captain marvel #1 and it was so bad I never want to read a series with her again. Please change her back to ms. marvel

I never checked out the Soy issues which everyone seems to hate but I thought the Rios ones (5 and 6?) and the latest ish (upthread) were cool.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Cullen Bunn has another title coming out with Oni Press that I might try. It is called Helheim and is an action horror story in a Viking setting. Joelle Jones will be drawing. I think it is only a mini series.

Owzers

i like the art overall looking at the preview pages, but some of those faces give me pause. That last panel captain marvel face....

How would you guys rate

Wolverine Max
All-New X-Men
Gambit
Uncanny Avengers

Gambit is at the very least, never bad, and at best, really good. That's the only one I've really read.

I stopped at Uncanny Avengers #1 because the delays soured me on the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom