• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

How would you guys rate

Wolverine Max
All-New X-Men
Gambit
Uncanny Avengers

All-New X-Men is the only worthwhile book out of the four. (which is a shame because I really did try to love Uncanny Avengers, but it has just been consistently awful between the delays and the poor writing in general, which is surprising coming from Remender)

Viewt

All-New X-Men is the only worthwhile book out of the four. (which is a shame because I really did try to love Uncanny Avengers, but it has just been consistently awful between the delays and the poor writing in general, which is surprising coming from Remender)

I'm not quite as down on it as you are, but it is surprisingly not up-to-snuff. It's especially surprising when you consider how hard he's knocking it out of the park right now on Cap.

Seriously, I love Cap more now than I have in years. It's UXF-tier good.

Woah, Cassaday can't even do a whole arc with these delays. And his art still looks like mud with 2 foot characters that all have shovelfaces. #fuckuncannyavengers

I loved cassadays work on planetary and astonishing x-men. I'm not sure what's happened since then. The more annoying thing to me in uncanny avengers is the over use of the closed caption monologue. It's so overbearing and just clutters everything.

I'm holding onto Uncanny Avengers its not horrible it's just the delays and the spotty art in some places are really hurting the book momentum wise. I have faith that once the Raganok arc starts it'll finally get his footing.
I mean Remender made X-force man X-force ..... ;_;

Acid08

Banned
I loved cassadays work on planetary and astonishing x-men. I'm not sure what's happened since then. The more annoying thing to me in uncanny avengers is the over use of the closed caption monologue. It's so overbearing and just clutters everything.
Didn't really feel like it cluttered anything up.

Troll

Banned
How would you guys rate

Wolverine Max
All-New X-Men
Gambit
Uncanny Avengers

Wolverine Max - I don't read it

ANXM - Must read

Gambit - There's much better comics to spend you money on

Uncanny Avengers - Very good

The whole thing narathon wise was just Clarmenont inspired

At first I didn't like it because it just didn't have the same feeling as the other issues and the rushed art really bothered me on some panels. After I went back and read it a second time I actually think it's my favorite issue in the series.

Acid08

Banned
Wolverine Max - I don't read it

ANXM - Must read

Gambit - There's much better comics to spend you money on

Uncanny Avengers - Very good

At first I didn't like it because it just didn't have the same feeling as the other issues and the rushed art really bothered me on some panels. After I went back and read it a second time I actually think it's my favorite issue in the series.
Yeah, was my favorite issue so far as well.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
...How many of you Gambit haters have read the book?

I've read it. I've liked the art but that's pretty much it. Not a big Gambit fan in general (tho bo staff + trench coat Gambit is still A-Ok) but all this international caper stuff isn't fun or interesting enough to me to make up for the fact that there's no characterization. There's just so many more amazing comics out there that it doesn't rank to.

I have actually read every issue, I just don't like it that much. It's nothing personal.

That's acceptable.

I've read it. I've liked the art but that's pretty much it. Not a big Gambit fan in general (tho bo staff + trench coat Gambit is still A-Ok) but all this international caper stuff isn't fun or interesting enough to me to make up for the fact that there's no characterization. There's just so many more amazing comics out there that it doesn't rank to.

Never said it was the best comic out there. But Gambit #8 does a good amount for characterization (really for looking into the mind of Gambit and how he thinks of himself). There aren't many other recurring characters save for Fence, and Joelle will likely have some sort of arc.

At any rate, I personally enjoy heist stuff, so that explains my enjoyment of it.

(Which reminds me, I must catch up on White Collar...)

Man...SAGA is so good. I just read 9 issues back to back.

I have two concerns for Saga,

1) I worry the story is going to start meandering. It sort of lacks focus.

2) The whole "Anything can happen!" universe building is making it difficult to not be left with a hundred questions for every answer. Overtime this is going to get frustrating.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

2) The whole "Anything can happen!" universe building is making it difficult to not be left with a hundred questions for every answer. Overtime this is going to get frustrating.

Your concerns are the reason I love it so much.

monome

Lacks focus?
story happens in the past and is narrated by a character who's a baby during the events we actually follow. It's pretty clear the focus is on bridging those two timelines.

Anything can happen. yep, well that's what I like. no mythichlodrians to explain shit. Magic, space, tech and love.

Your concerns are the reason I love it so much.
Yo!

I just hope the resolution to problems doesn't continue to remain "because magic, but we don't actually explain the rules of magic, so we can do anything.".

You get into Golden / Silver Age Superman super hypnotism realms of solving every problem.

Blader

He's rushing.

Uncanny Avengers 3 was absolutely awful. I think Tony Daniel was an uncredited writer. And pour one out for Kryptonian, love that brah.

Peeking through my Comixology version of Hawkeye #7 and we have a Brooklyn vs. New Jersey "war" courtesy of our archers.

I love this book...

Didn't know Liefeld was back on Xmen.

1359499986.jpg

Invincible 100 lol.

I hope Liefeld is taking it to the extreme again. When I read the Youngblood relaunch in May it was anything but. Real extreme is not about Q ratings, Youtube or TMZ. Extreme is about being extreme even when no one is watching. It's about drinking a Mountain Dew on a night on the town. It's about driving a. Thousand miles to have Doritos Locos Tacos. It's about making the most mundane things interesting and dangerous. It's about elevating your life.

Didn't know Liefeld was back on Xmen.

I was just about to start pointing out the absence of pouches, but the damn things were just black and thus they evaded my sight. Never change, Rob :D

And thanks for the tips on IC, Anticitizen One and fredrancour! The next time I visit my LCS, I'll check how much they ask for it. If it's reasonably priced, I might give it a go.

VeeP

I read the new Teen Titans. The plot focuses on Red Robin and Red Hood. Overall, not too bad.

One thing that caught my eye though was the appearance of Raven. Was not expecting her to look like that.

How would you guys rate

Wolverine Max
All-New X-Men
Gambit
Uncanny Avengers

Gambit is decent entertainment. International spy/heist theme, integrating some of Marvel's worldwide landmarks. Must-read if you're a Gambit fan, and still recommended even if you're not but still have a few bucks to burn every month. The art by Mann is typically good stuff, too. Action-packed, adventurous, and fun use of Marvel lore. (8/10)

Uncanny Avengers is quite possibly my favorite read at the moment. I don't get all the hate...I think the narrative by Remender is well-written and adds a lot to the atmosphere of the situations. I don't think it's "cluttered" at all. It's a good balance of action and setup, and not many write in action better than Remender, IMO. I also love Cassaday's art...it's just unfortunate his work tends to delay books. (10/10)

All New X-Men is something I didn't expect to like very much (I'm kind of onboard that Bendis hate-train), but it's really surprised me so far. I love the concept of bringing the original 5 back (forward?) to modern times, and their interactions with the rest of the crew have been great. The most intriguing of the bunch, IMO. (9/10)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior Spider-Man #2 - Is it any good?

Watching
Doc Ock try and date MJ
got a few laughs
since he kept treating it like a take over the world scheme
. The Ock/Ghost Peter dynamic is interesting,
it's as if they're carrying on a conversation without actually being able to talk to each other

The new issue of Talon is awesome though. The supporting cast grew a bit and it looks like this book isn't going to be a road book after all.

kswiston

Avengers #4 was probably the best issue yet from a story perspective, even if Kubert's art isn't as nice as Opena's. I'm glad that the next few issues seem to be concentrating on the individual. lesser known members of the team. Also, we see a few more connections between Avengers and New Avengers.

Avengers #4 was probably the best issue yet from a story perspective, even if Kubert's art isn't as nice as Opena's. I'm glad that the next few issues seem to be concentrating on the individual. lesser known members of the team. Also, we see a few more connections between Avengers and New Avengers.

Great to hear really looking forward to this. My biggest fear is that NA + Avengers both get dragged down into some stupid event. F4 and FF seemed to avoid that for the most part.

Great to hear really looking forward to this. My biggest fear is that NA + Avengers both get dragged down into some stupid event. F4 and FF seemed to avoid that for the most part.
Marvel is going to have a summer event featuring at least Avengers, New Avengers, GotG and Nova. Look for it to be revealed in a week and a half.

Holy shit am I excited for the Batman and Robin Annual today. Looks like pure Damian goodness.

My pull list today:

AQUAMAN #16
BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #1
BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #12
FLASH #16
GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #1
RED LANTERNS #16
SUPERMAN #16
TALON #4
TEEN TITANS #16

Read today's Marvel stuff.

Avengers #4: I recognize it's good even though I have no idea what the hell is going on.
Who the hell is Hyperion? Why is AIM a UN-recognized country? I don't like any of these characters!
No grade because I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Hawkeye #7: Another awesome Hawkeye one-off. The art isn't Aja, but it's got the same feel and it rocks. Kate Bishop is my favourite character. A

X-Treme X-Men #9: Only got this for Sage. This book kinda sucks. D+

X-Men Legacy #5: If you are not reading this book, you need to re-evaluate your life. Best issue by far. A++

Read today's Marvel stuff.

Avengers #4: I recognize it's good even though I have no idea what the hell is going on.
Who the hell is Hyperion? Why is AIM a UN-recognized country? I don't like any of these characters!
No grade because I'm still trying to figure it all out.

OMFG FF CALLBAAAAAACK
"I THINK I'M IN LOVE" - SPIRITUALIZED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom