• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wicked i am wriing it up now but wont post til saturday since atm i am off to work :p ill get book 1 of hellboy done and have the ot up by then.

This all has me hyped man haha, I think a quiet morning tomorrow rereading Seed Of Destruction is in order then.

Just spotted that the star wars comics will be moving to Marvel next year. I don't read any of them, but all I can say is good luck guys. As someone was megahyped when Marvel did the deal with King to work on The Dark Tower comics, and the resulting lack of promotion behind them, inconsistent artists (not to say none of them were good of course), the kick in the balls at the end switching the LAST volume to tpb in my otherwise entirely HC collection and that's without getting into the contents and continuity errors, yea. Dark Horse treated Star Wars very well from what I could see. It'll be interesting, I don't see Marvel as a company who really fosters success in in their side stuff, bar the Oz books, and I think that's just sheer force of talent making it happen. They often come across very disinterested as soon as the initial hoopla is over.

Victor Creed and Wolverine switch bodies. One of them dies in the twelfth issues. Stegman gets replaced four issues in for Koi Pham. The book changes the Marvel U forever until the next Wolverine movie comes out. VC's JOe Caramanga letters the hellout of the book.

Mafro

I read Wolverine #12 and can't ever remember what the big deal was in that issue.

Some good stuff on sale on Comixology just now. Days of Future Past, Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, WatXM volume one and a few other collections for $3.99/£2.49 each.

Owzers

I read Wolverine #12 and can't ever remember what the big deal was in that issue.

Some good stuff on sale on Comixology just now. Days of Future Past, Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, WatXM volume one and a few other collections for $3.99/£2.49 each.

This is the crazy thing, they are hyping Wolverine 12 that will come out around September 2014, not the recent 12. " In a year you will be blown away, buy now!" At least they updated their hype to include #1 coming in February.

arkon

I think the humor in Quantum & Woody is very different from the light-hearted and wacky antics of Adventure Time. Q&W is really into wordplay, subverting expectations, and rapid-fire gags of a more adult nature. Of course, I've never read Adventure Time comics and only seen a few episodes, so I might be wrong.

One of my favorite jokes from a recent comic is the one in Saga #16 where the mother first thinks that Alana is praying, but then realizes that no, she isn't. I feel like Q&W has a ton of stuff like that.

What's MTMTE?

Adventure Time is just one end of the spectrum. Yeah, it's light-hearted and wacky, doesn't stop some of the jokes from being about wordplay and subverting expectations. It's also why I included More Than Meets The Eye (MTMTE) in there, it's a different style of humour but again one that worked for me.

As I said, Quantum & Woody didn't manage that in the first two issues and I've yet to try the first trade.

^How about this for the subtitle?
'Of monkeys with guns & German speaking homonculi'?

Transformers: More than meets the eye, aka the best Transformers book in years, a must read even if you're not a TF fan.

I had heard a lot of good things, but I could barely make it through the first trade when it was on sale. Does it get better? Am I missing something?

arkon

Shame, because I was enjoying Star Wars Legacy v2 by Bechko and Hardman. Guess they'll be wrapping up a lot earlier than planned.

"Son of a--" , or "It's all going to hell"
References being of course Hellboy's now famous Death scene, or the BPRD tagline for Hell on Earth

Also cheers for letting us know. I just have this thread favourited, I don't browse the off-topic forum, so I think I miss other comic related threads pretty often.

You aren't missing much. They are filled with ton of "lol comics" posts.

Tizoc

I had heard a lot of good things, but I could barely make it through the first trade when it was on sale. Does it get better? Am I missing something?

Hmm I didn't like it at first but then one day I sat down and just...read it.
That's the thing about this book, you gotta be OK with reading to properly enjoy it. It has great humor and manages to make you CARE for the characters. Forget the popular TF characters like Bumblebee and Prime, etc. and read this as a book about 'adventurers seeking a holy grail'. The book is more about the journey rather than destination and each character has their own distinct personality and flaws.
If you like books where its more about character than story you will enjoy this book.

Lombaszko

My Earthward Kickstarter finally came the other day. Can't wait to read it!

jL390aaGqIwyx.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It'll be interesting to see how much Marvel does to actually capitalize on Star Wars. I imagine it'll be somewhat of a priority with the movie tie-in opportunities, but they haven't done shit with all the Disney franchises that were pulled from Boom.

Owzers

It'll be interesting to see how much Marvel does to actually capitalize on Star Wars. I imagine it'll be somewhat of a priority with the movie tie-in opportunities, but they haven't done shit with all the Disney franchises that were pulled from Boom.

Star Wars vs The Avengers by Bendis. I want to see Han Solo talk like Spider-Man.

I love you.

I know.

Do you?

Yeah i do.

That's great, then why did i say it?

They're going to milk the ever-living fuck out of Star Wars, I think that much is obvious. Get ready for Star Wars characters in Kingdom Hearts III.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They're going to milk the ever-living fuck out of Star Wars, I think that much is obvious. Get ready for Star Wars characters in Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm sorry but that sounds awesome.

Maybe they can talk Hickman into doing a book about the universe before the prequels, it seems like it'd be right up his alley.

Dan

They're going to milk the ever-living fuck out of Star Wars, I think that much is obvious.

Probably, yeah. Almost definitely. I just remain rather perplexed by the lack of Disney comics entirely. I would have expected Marvel to make a push for some all-ages books, or else, why the hell did Disney stop licensing them to Boom?

How long until Luke and Han are Avengers?

That would be hilarious. But truthfully, Disney has been pretty good about keeping the properties as separate entities thus far. What I want to know is how big of an impact the acquisition is going to have on the existing Star Wars expanded universe. Are they going to keep it intact or tear it all down and rebuild to accommodate their upcoming [potential shitfest] movies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Probably, yeah. Almost definitely. I just remain rather perplexed by the lack of Disney comics entirely. I would have expected Marvel to make a push for some all-ages books, or else, why the hell did Disney stop licensing them to Boom?

It depends on how fast Bendis can find an artist.

Vibranium

Banned
FBP stands for the Federal Bureau of Physics. It was formerly known as Collider for one issue. The colors in this book are so beautiful and confident. They make Dean White seem like he is whopping a horses ass like a masochist. It's about how the world has all these weird physics problems and the federal and private enterprises that intercept and deal with these issues. The writer is really good at laying intrigue and building a world. Saga take note. The first trade should drop any week ow and its priced like a first Image trade so you are getting a TON of value.
If you are disappointed I'll give you my first comic I get published for free.

Ok, I'm sold, thanks! But I'm taking up your offer of a free comic if I'm disappointed, just so you know brah.

FoneBone

Marvel sucks at/isn't all that interested in kids-oriented comics.

Dan

That would be hilarious. But truthfully, Disney has been pretty good about keeping the properties as separate entities thus far. What I want to know is how big of an impact the acquisition is going to have on the existing Star Wars expanded universe. Are they going to keep it intact or tear it all down and rebuild to accommodate their upcoming [potential shitfest] movies.

I have a hard time believing the EU will survive the Disney acquisition and the sequels. Maybe some sections will remain, like prequel era stuff and anything earlier, but I can't imagine Disney and everyone making the sequels fit what the EU did post-ROTJ. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear some announcement in early 2015 that there will be a new Star Wars canon.

To an extent that's a shame, since I loved a ton of what the EU did in the 90s (both in books and comics), but I lost interest when the prequels came and the New Jedi Order ended and the universe seemed perpetually stuck shoving the same few characters into the heart of every galactic conflict. It started getting redundant, and the creative forces were awkwardly torn between keeping the same core characters and developing new ones.

Maybe some kind of fresh start would be good... or rather could be good, because I have virtually no faith in Disney and Abrams going in a direction I'll care about.

I have a hard time believing the EU will survive the Disney acquisition and the sequels. Maybe some sections will remain, like prequel era stuff and anything earlier, but I can't imagine Disney and everyone making the sequels fit what the EU did post-ROTJ. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear some announcement in early 2015 that there will be a new Star Wars canon.

Probably. But I don't think they'll just throw out the more popular characters that came out of the EU. Mara Jade and the Solo kids especially. They can't, unless they want to drive away all existing Star Wars fans and focus on making it for kids. How horrible that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom