• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't wait til Febuary. I went to 3 comic shops in the area today and found Locke and Key Grindhouse one shot, Omega 1-5 and Alpha 1 and 2.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I couldn't wait til Febuary. I went to 3 comic shops in the area today and found Locke and Key Grindhouse one shot, Omega 1-5 and Alpha 1 and 2.
Enjoy. That's a fantastic series, I feel lucky I found out about it with just enough time to catch up before the final issue.

Wag

Scribblenauts Unmasked is for sale for ~$7.65 after 25% off coupon at Greenmangaming. I picked it up. It's a nice little homage to DC characters. Fun stuff.

Parch

I wonder how hard this is going to hit Dark Horse. They've been depending on the Star Wars license for a good long time now.
Hit and miss for a lot of the Star Wars books, but a pretty consistent cash cow for them. Dark Horse is probably burned out with SW and thinking to be more indy like Image.

There was always limited choice for sci-fi comics so those DH Stars Wars miniseries were my go to choice for some sci-fi. I'm somewhat pessimistic to see what Marvel does with Star Wars. There's potential for something new a refreshing so Marvel better not just mail it in.

Owzers

that WATXM Annual Infinity Tie-in was very touching, i'm glad i didn't skip it as i do almost all annual issues.

NFL games were made for comic reading. So many commercials i barely feel like i'm watching anything.

jNV9yvK.jpg

AV

Rafael Albuquerque teasin'

Tizoc

Warren Ellis' Nextwave and Thunderbolts run are spectacular and among my fav. works from him.

IIRC, they were both published within the same time frame or was Nextwave released first?
Either way the series are so different one would be surprised they're from the same author.

Been dabbling with a couple new books.

Finished reading the first two issues of pretty deadly. Oh wow this book is amazing. They just dive right in and will explain things in doses but so far so good.

The first two issues of letter 44 was cool too.

Now off to read rocket girl

Read the first issue of American Vampire and was surprised by how much I liked it - particularly intriguing is the story of Pearl Jones. I might had never picked it up if not for the #1 for $1 essentials thing that DC has been doing.

I was surprised mainly because I read Long Road to Hell and found it mediocre.

So with the news that Marvel is getting Star Wars, what's the over/under on how long it takes them to add a Jedi to the Avengers?

Not the movies, but the comics.

Read the first issue of American Vampire and was surprised by how much I liked it - particularly intriguing is the story of Pearl Jones. I might had never picked it up if not for the #1 for $1 essentials thing that DC has been doing.

I was surprised mainly because I read Long Road to Hell and found it mediocre.

That wasn't even written by Snyder. Snyders Rafa wrote that...the artist and yes made much more sense knowing the story.

That wasn't even written by Snyder. Snyders Rafa wrote that...the artist and yes made much more sense knowing the story.

I know that Albuqerque co-wrote it, but Snyder is listed as a co-writer, too. And it's all under the American Vampire name so w/e. And I didn't say I didn't understand it. I said it was mediocre. Fair bones to judge it on it's own merits since it's supposed to be stand alone and had a pretty little #1 on the cover.

frye

There's a point in AmVamp where it feels Snyder completely drops the ball on the Pearl character, and it's where I lost the rest of my interest in that book.

I know that Albuqerque co-wrote it, but Snyder is listed as a co-writer, too. And it's all under the American Vampire name so w/e. And I didn't say I didn't understand it. I said it was mediocre. Fair bones to judge it on it's own merits since it's supposed to be stand alone and had a pretty little #1 on the cover.

I wouldn't consider it stand alone. I consider it a continuation of the world to appease fans who enjoy an already established world. This issue scored great reviews but only because just about every reviewer has knowledge of the world built for it. Yes it has a one on it but that because it's a one shot. All DC/Vertigo have 1 on them, at least the ones I own. I just bought Locke and Key Grindhouse 1 shot today. Just because it's a One shot, I would never recommend it to someone as an intro to the Locke and Key universe. It takes place between vol 5 and 6. Yes you understood the panels and script in front of you, but you did not understand the world around it.

There's a point in AmVamp where it feels Snyder completely drops the ball on the Pearl character, and it's where I lost the rest of my interest in that book.

I agree, I don't think he realized what he had until after the fact. He thought he was writing a Skinner Sweet story but the readers gravitated more towards Pearl. He has acknowledged that and will come back to Pearl in the new ones.

Was it during the
Blacklist arc when she banged Skinner?
Because I thought that was a very humanizing way to portray her.
Her husband was extremely sick and she had nowhere else to turn. She needed some kind of relief from all the stress.
It was a very realistic way for things to go down.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Skinner is evil. Pearl is a great character along with all of the supporting cast. I love the different mini arcs they've done on the minor characters.

frye

I agree, I don't think he realized what he had until after the fact. He thought he was writing a Skinner Sweet story but the readers gravitated more towards Pearl. He has acknowledged that and will come back to Pearl in the new ones.

Yeah, and as great as a name Skinner Sweet is, Snyder thought he was writing a much cooler and more compelling character than he actually was.

Was it during the
Blacklist arc when she banged Skinner?
Because I thought that was a very humanizing way to portray her.
Her husband was extremely sick and she had nowhere else to turn. She needed some kind of relief from all the stress.
It was a very realistic way for things to go down.

It felt like something she would have done as the Hollywood hopeful she was in the first issue.

Messi

Oh wow. This Batman & Robin book is awesome. I think I've read 10 issues today, just finished the terminus stuff. <3 Damian

Owzers

WATXM #39: While i liked 38 and the Annual, seeing Cyclops show up in this issue for his 100th dumb exchange with Wolverine just sunk my comics joy. Another " we have unfinished business!" page snore that detracts from the story. The reason their business is unfinished is due to Bendis running the show and not having any type of story to tell in the last year, so plot threads just exist in perpetuity. I wonder if Aaron left WATXM to get away from having to be involved with Bendis stuff, that's at least what i'm doing as a reader.

Cheska

The one that started with the new 52.

Oh so the Tomasi run? I keep meaning to pick that up but I want to make my way through Morrisons run first. Honestly, I only want to read the Batman/Catwoman story from B&R issue 21 I think.

Messi

Oh so the Tomasi run? I keep meaning to pick that up but I want to make my way through Morrisons run first. Honestly, I only want to read the Batman/Catwoman story from B&R issue 21 I think.

That's the one. I wonder where that book is going now that it's like Batman and friends. It's a bit sad as I'm really enjoying it with Robin but I'm ready for some bad stuff to go down in that regard.

I'd read a Batman/Catwoman book. Same with Batman/Wonder Woman

Just read Superman Unchained 1-5 in one sitting and it read so much better that way. Issue #5 really answered a lot of questions and made the big picture very clear. It read a lot like The Wake. Four issues of solid world building and then the 5th revealing where we are going with it. I'm now really excited about this book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's the one. I wonder where that book is going now that it's like Batman and friends. It's a bit sad as I'm really enjoying it with Robin but I'm ready for some bad stuff to go down in that regard.

I'd read a Batman/Catwoman book. Same with Batman/Wonder Woman

Yo, don't worry, Damian's death is the best thing to happen to the book. Tomasi and Gleason hit the most emotional highs of any of the Bat writers, Morrison included, with the issues during and after Damian's death.

The book is still great with the rotating cast, by the way, because Tomasi's Bruce/Batman is consistent, so you feel like you're following great plotline after plotline along the same, singular course.

Messi

Yo, don't worry, Damian's death is the best thing to happen to the book. Tomasi and Gleason hit the most emotional highs of any of the Bat writers, Morrison included, with the issues during and after Damian's death.

The book is still great with the rotating cast, by the way, because Tomasi's Bruce/Batman is consistent, so you feel like you're following great plotline after plotline along the same, singular course.

That's good to hear. I was concerned. Really hope that Batman/Catwoman issue is good.

I was really disappointed in the
Batman/Nightwing
issue. Tomasi should have focused more on
Dick

If that's the one I'm thinking about, I thought that was one of the most emotional ones. That was simulation one right?
Dick and Damian were brothers man. Dick shows up and tries to cheer Bruce up by completing a simulation didn't make sense. They should have sat back and recalled adventures with Damian.

The Alfred moment was touching though.

Dick and Damian were brothers man. Dick shows up and tries to cheer Bruce up by completing a simulation didn't make sense. They should have sat back and recalled adventures with Damian.

The Alfred moment was touching though.

I can see that. I didn't have a problem with the simulation but I can see where you would want the direction to go.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I was really disappointed in the
Batman/Nightwing
issue. Tomasi should have focused more on
Dick

Yeah, I feel you, but at the same time, the whole point of those grief issues was people trying to pull Bruce out of his downward spiral. Those other characters aren't the focus, and shouldn't be, because it's just not their comic.

I think the Red Robin/Frankenstein issue is the best of the Batman & .... bunch and issue 18 is the best issue of the entire run. That issue is the most emotional Bats issue I've ever come across and it shows off Tomasi and Gleason's incredibly chemistry together as there are absolutely
no words

Wrote that? I neva wrote dat. ( Mike Francessa voice)

I was a bit disappointed with AmVamp hardcovers. I wish we could get library binding those were great. Instead it feels like Im holding a Marvel OGN.

Just read Superman Unchained 1-5 in one sitting and it read so much better that way. Issue #5 really answered a lot of questions and made the big picture very clear. It read a lot like The Wake. Four issues of solid world building and then the 5th revealing where we are going with it. I'm now really excited about this book.

Between Unchained, Superman/Wonder Woman, Action Comics and Adventures of Superman, the Man of Steel is in a pretty good spot right now. It's been an amazing turnaround.

Surprised, you people sometimes. Surprised Maq, Surprised?! Half of it is written by literally written by one of the best writers of the last 30-40 odd years, and the rest is Snyder free of any (perceived) restrictions of the the big two. AND YOUR SURPRISED.

I'm glad you liked it.

All in jest of course :)

Mafro

WATXM #39: While i liked 38 and the Annual, seeing Cyclops show up in this issue for his 100th dumb exchange with Wolverine just sunk my comics joy. Another " we have unfinished business!" page snore that detracts from the story. The reason their business is unfinished is due to Bendis running the show and not having any type of story to tell in the last year, so plot threads just exist in perpetuity. I wonder if Aaron left WATXM to get away from having to be involved with Bendis stuff, that's at least what i'm doing as a reader.
It was a bit of a dick move when Bendis basically went "MINE!" with Kitty Pryde and had her join Cyclops' team, thus removing her from WatXM and Wood's X-Men. She was one of my favourite X-Men but unsurprisingly Bendis writes her absolutely terribly, case in point being at the end of Battle of the Atom where she just randomly flipped out and defected because ??? Same goes for him taking Angel.

When Snyder is listed as co-writer on something in general he just came up with the story and someone else did the scripting.

It was a bit of a dick move when Bendis basically went "MINE!" with Kitty Pryde and had her join Cyclops' team, thus removing her from WatXM and Wood's X-Men. She was one of my favourite X-Men but unsurprisingly Bendis writes her absolutely terribly, case in point being at the end of Battle of the Atom where she just randomly flipped out and defected because ??? Same goes for him taking Angel.

Why it took her this long to realize Cyclops is right is the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom