• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
I have been spending $150 - $200 per month on comics (single issues and trades/hardcovers), but I'm going through and whittling that down slowly, hopefully to under $100 per month. I'm sure October - December will destroy this thanks to all of those ANAD Marvel titles I'll probably be disappointed by.

Alright guys, I'm ready to be shunned from this community. I took pictures instead of a video, because why the hell would I take a video

GlmnifI.jpg

AZOgqJc.jpg

un19uZB.jpg

EAxlHEo.jpg

ESj1V4M.jpg

j9VuRrg.jpg

N3kRj6k.jpg

QSIFdDM.jpg

Still better than mine. I am relatively new to comics though.

I've been reading comics for over 20 years and I don't even have a quarter of that.

In fairness, I was mostly floppies and UK reprints for about 17 of those years, and those were all donated or trashed awhile back. The only things I kept were the UK versions of JLA/Avengers, because I have my doubts it will be reprinted for some time.

Messi

FFFFUUUUUUUU

Hellboy Library 3 and 4 shipped today. Still waiting on Vol.2 so the first two books can ship.

:(

You can skip the first two library editions they aren't important.

I don't know if this is true. I've only read the first two volumes. Not for me.

Afrodium

Banned
Man, Reed and Sue had a terrible relationship from the very beginning. It's established that they're engaged in issue 1 but from then on all Sue wants to do is dump Reed and fuck Namor.

now that i think about it, even factoring the random singles i buy during digital sales and random back issues, it's probably closer to $70-80, especially because i know i buy way less than most of y'all. like, i'm probably gonna spend like $10 today. I typically spend around $25 at most, usually twice a month. I don't buy from IST every month either. I think i'll calculate the total amount I spend next month.

Zombine

Banned
Besides NeoGAF, where do you guys usually get your comic book news and information?

Twitter, ComicBookResources, and that's it really. I like CBR because there isn't a whole lot of agenda pushing. Just some enthusiast stuff and "matter of fact" information that drops and summaries of con news, ect.

wow did not expect positive reactions

Also, how much I spend on books... I'm pretty sure I've spent $500+ this month.

i see a manga shelf...

You see nothing.

Still better than mine. I am relatively new to comics though.

I've been collecting and not reading for about 4 years, but only really had income to make big strides for 2 years.

I like how they are all properly in order no matter what publisher or if it's a hardcover or TPB.

Yeah man, I don't discriminate.

Hey, is that little one a billy bookcase from IKEA? I have one that's twice that size that I use for figures and statues.

Yep, that's the one. I saw the billy double, but any more furniture in my room and I'll have to sleep on the couch.

I genuinely love your collection. It's humble and very nice to look at. You have good taste I think.

Thanks. I consider it high praise.

I thought I was going nuts, but Gene Luen Yang really has been saying the same thing over and over in all the Superman #42 interviews:

Newsarama said:
I grew up in the Silicon Valley. I still live in the Silicon Valley. I majored in computer science. My first job was as a programmer. So I feel like I'm familiar with the information technology sector, and the information technology culture.

What HORDR is is me taking the darker side of the industry and condensing it into a single criminal organization. In the book, we describe it as a cross between a tech company and a gang.

And the leader, I thought of him as kind of an evil Mark Zuckerberg. I use the word evil because, unlike a lot of people, I don't actually think Mark Zuckerberg is evil. So our character is an evil version of him.

Comics Alliance said:
I live in Silicon Valley! I grew up in the Silicon Valley, too, and a few months ago, a friend of mine who works for Facebook invited me onto the campus to eat lunch there. I was like, “This is amazing, it’s like Utopia.” But then, like all of us, I don’t think Facebook is 100% evil, but there are aspects of it that move towards evilness. It’s true of all the major Silicon Valley companies, that there are aspects to all of them that move towards evilness, but I don’t believe they’re 100% evil.

What Hordr is, is me taking all the aspects of these different companies and combining them into this cross between a tech company and a gang, with a leader that’s like an evil version of Mark Zuckerberg — and I say “evil version” because I don’t really think Mark Zuckerberg is evil.

CBR said:
I grew up in the Silicon Valley. I still live in the Silicon Valley. A couple months ago, I had this friend who works in the privacy department at Facebook, and he invited me onto their campus to have lunch. [The campus is] nuts, dude! It's crazy. It's hard to believe that kind of thing exists in real life. I don't think Facebook or Google are evil -- I think some of the things they do might push the boundaries, but I don't think they, in and of themselves, are evil.

What I wanted to do is take the dark side of Silicon Valley, and make references to Silicon Valley culture, and combine them into this evil organization. Take all the evil aspects of Google and Apple and Facebook, and make it into an evil organization. The main character, Hordr_Root, the way I pitched him was as an "evil version of Mark Zuckerberg." I qualify that, because I personally don't believe that Mark Zuckerberg is actually evil, although some people disagree with me. [Laughs]

my trusted comics news sources are basically NeoGAF and Twitter. i google the solicits when they come out and use whatever site has the full ones i'm looking for

Yeah, I bought the big one with the glass doors and everything. Shit was like $200 for everything. $50 per door, oh man.

Jeez. The ones with the doors look pretty nice. The cool thing about these is that you can buy an attachment to stack it higher and add more shelves. Might have to do that in the future.

I'm not going to post pics/videos or anything (partly because my collection is currently spread between two provinces, but my collection pretty much consists of:
-a few B&W Batman statues (Capullo, Ross, Adams, and Harley by Timm) plus some other random comic figures
-About 3-4 shelves of trades (mostly Batman and Daredevil)
-Either 11 or 12 short boxes of floppies, about 6 of which is for the main Batman series that started in 1940

Slowly building up my trade collection with some classic Marvel stuff.

I thought I was going nuts, but Gene Luen Yang really has been saying the same thing over and over in all the Superman #42 interviews:
Hodor?

EDIT:

Gang, Wildstorm Comics. Should I file them as a subset of DC Comics, a subset of Image Comics, a subset of both divided by publishing era, or combine them into their own separate box?

Jeez. The ones with the doors look pretty nice. The cool thing about these is that you can buy an attachment to stack it higher and add more shelves. Might have to do that in the future.

I need to grab another one soon to use as an actual bookcase. Definitely going to forego the doors this time. They're useful for figures to minimize dust buildup, but man, they're a pain in the ass to assemble.

Zombine

Banned
wow did not expect positive reactions

Thanks. I consider it high praise.

I think the main thing that people forget when it comes to collections of anything is that it's quality over quantity. Your collection is your own personal extension of your identity, and I really respect the diversity of what you own and how everything is very much based on what you have or are currently enjoying, and not just trying to fill your shelves with stuff. I can tell that you really dig D. Gray Man, and that's something I wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if you had a collection of say 40 different manga or whatever.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds with varying degrees of disposable income, and I don't think that it's far to judge someone's collection based on the volume of unread paper on your shelf. Yours is a really great start, and I think eventually as you continue to grow you'll fill those shelves up just fine.

Before I started this hobby I owned 3 books: Miller's Ronin, Watchmen, and that Joker OHC. Now I'm like the fruit guy.

ElNarez

Banned
Gang, Wildstorm Comics. Should I file them as a subset of DC Comics, a subset of Image Comics, a subset of both divided by publishing era, or combine them into their own separate box?

Separate box for all the stuff, 92 to 2010, but you remove all the creator-owned stuff that went on elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom