• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My list.

My BuyList via Comics Day App

ALL STAR SECTION 8 #2 $2.99
BATMAN #42 $3.99
CATWOMAN #42 $2.99
EARTH 2 SOCIETY #2 $2.99
GOTHAM ACADEMY #8 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #2 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #11 $3.99
NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #10 $2.99
STARFIRE #2 $2.99
CONSTANTINE THE HELLBLAZER #2 $2.99
DESCENDER #5 (MR) $2.99
SAGA #30 (MR) $2.99

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Year Zero is ok until now. I dont like it as much as you guys hyped it but its ok... No as great as the arcs in Snyders Run yet, but far inferior to Year One. But I like the art.

Next up is the second arc.

this Fantastic Four Marvel Knights Grant Morrison book any good?
Yes

Year Zero is ok until now. I dont like it as much as you guys hyped it but its ok... No as great as the arcs in Snyders Run yet, but far inferior to Year One. But I like the art.

Agreed. It doesn't get near Year One in my opinion. Capullo's art is great though.

Nice to see you back too.

I think BMB has one real weakness, and it's event books. I'd be just fine if he never wrote another event book for the rest of his career. But he's done some of my all-time favorite stuff...Alias, Daredevil, Powers, and Ultimate Spider-Man are all up there for me. I thought he was pretty decent on Avengers and great on X-Men. I know a lot of people don't like his work on GotG but while it certainly pales next to DnA, I don't mind it that much, and it did feature one of the best crossovers I've read in many years, the Trial of Jean Grey.

Is there anyone here who truly just hates BMB's entire output? Or is it really just his poor performance on events that has led to this running joke?

Tizoc

its a joke because comicgaf acts like everything he touches came out of satan's asshole

this Fantastic Four Marvel Knights Grant Morrison book any good?

Of course it's good; it shows Doom for the pathetic manchild that he is.
How have you not read it yet? It's Grant Morrison for one thing...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Of course it's good; it shows Doom for the pathetic manchild that he is.
How have you not read it yet? It's Grant Morrison for one thing...

never heard of it. Found it looking for my Punisher and Alias stuff. Theres also some War Machine Max book and a Fury Max book, any good?

styl3s

Anyone here a big Deadpool fan? A buddy of mine has been debating between the Joe Kelly Deadpool omnibus and the Cable and Deadpool omnibus but i am not well versed in the Deadpool to suggest which one. The only Deadpool i own is his living dead, return dead and secret wars stuff.

Anyone here a big Deadpool fan? A buddy of mine has been debating between the Joe Kelly Deadpool omnibus and the Cable and Deadpool omnibus but i am not well versed in the Deadpool to suggest which one. The only Deadpool i own is his living dead, return dead and secret wars stuff.

Cable and Deadpool is entertaining, Joe Kelly Deadpool is Best Deadpool.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

my favorite Deadpool is still the blind Al period, I dont know who wrote that

Joe Kelly

there you go then :)

Rhaknar

im loving this first Alias arc. Wonder if something similar will be in the show. Who could they use instead of Captain America (I mean assuming MCU Cap would be a big no no)?

Pachimari

Looks like you (Rhaknar) and I are reading some of the same stuff at the moment. Alias, MoonKnight, Punisher MAX etc.

Maybe I should finish one series (or is it a run/story arc?) Before starting another. Might just bite on Immortal Iron Fist #2 and start up Alias #1.

Tizoc

never heard of it. Found it looking for my Punisher and Alias stuff. Theres also some War Machine Max book and a Fury Max book, any good?

Fury Max is by Garth Ennis.
I recall liking the MAX War Machine comics although they are by Chuck Austin. i THink the 1st book is the better one.

Looks like you (Rhaknar) and I are reading some of the same stuff at the moment. Alias, MoonKnight, Punisher MAX etc.

Maybe I should finish one series (or is it a run/story arc?) Before starting another. Might just bite on Immortal Iron Fist #2 and start up Alias #1.

Personally I love having a few things to rotate between when I'm reading old stuff or trades. Right now I've got Wytches, Rumble, Hellboy, Miller DD and a few more things in rotation.

Messi

Reading my Walking Dead hardcovers in work today.
This governor fella is fairly fucked in the head. Did he just make out with a child Zombine?

Man I love everything about Rumble. But most of all the art is amazing.

Rhaknar

reading Alias is making me really fucking excited for the show. There is nothing here that cant be adapted (so far). Hell fucking Daredevil just showed up to bail her out of jail, theres your cross-show chance

Reading my Walking Dead hardcovers in work today.
This governor fella is fairly fucked in the head. Did he just make out with a child Zombine?

Man I love everything about Rumble. But most of all the art is amazing.

Comic Governor makes TV show Governor look like a bitch. I really liked how uncompromisingly fucked up he was.

Messi

Comic Governor makes TV show Governor look like a bitch. I really liked how uncompromisingly fucked up he was.

two things I have taken away from reading this so far. TV show Governor is a pussy and the TV did Andrea completely wrong. This is like a different person. She is my favorite so far.

two things I have taken away from reading this so far. TV show Governor is a pussy and the TV did Andrea completely wrong. This is like a different person. She is my favorite so far.

Oh man, Andrea. No other character got a raw deal quite like Andrea.

Oh, if you've seen the show, that opens up quite a bit of discussion. I was trying to keep it pretty vague before.
Andrea is my second or third favorite character. The TV did a complete assassination on her character. I was pretty miffed about it. She only really gets better as the series progresses.

As for the Governor, I can't say I cared a whole lot about his character, but I still prefer comic Governor many times over. They tried to do something different in the show, make him more relatable and have some redeeming qualities. Now, you might say "well he didn't really come off as relatable at all" and that's because they failed miserably at that. lol

Rhaknar

aw man Ennis / Dillon second go at Punisher is only 6 issues long? :(

I wanna see this list you speak of.
Alright, depending on how you wanna categorize capes artists working 'right now'...I've put mostly people that have done cape books in the last 3 years

Bryan Hitch
Stuart Immonen
Oliver Coipel
Esad Ribic
Jerome Opena
Frank Quitely
Michael Del Mundo
Sarah Pichelli
Mike Allred
Jim Cheung
Chris Samnee
David Aja
Paolo Rivera
Steve McNiven
Travel Foreman
Howard Porter
Francis Manapul
Yannick Paquette
Chris Sprouse
Chris Burnham
Dustin Weaver

Thats just from cape books with more standard-ish styles. It'd be more difficult to compare Capullo to someone like Maguerite Sauvage, Erica Henderson, Stephanie Hans, Frazier Irving, Chris Bachalo, or Pulido. If the list were to include non cape books, that list would run much longer. Sean G Murphy has done one cape book I think.

Theres also guys I'd put in the same level as him like David Marquez or Daniel Acuna. This reminds me of how far John Cassaday has fallen off. Dude was one of the very best during his Astonishing X-Men/Planetary days

Messi

Alright, depending on how you wanna categorize capes artists working 'right now'...I've put mostly people that have done cape books in the last 3 years

Bryan Hitch
Stuart Immonen
Oliver Coipel
Esad Ribic
Jerome Opena
Frank Quitely
Michael Del Mundo
Sarah Pichelli
Mike Allred
Jim Cheung
Chris Samnee
David Aja
Paolo Rivera
Steve McNiven
Travel Foreman
Howard Porter
Francis Manapul
Yannick Paquette
Chris Sprouse
Chris Burnham
Dustin Weaver

Thats just from cape books with more standard-ish styles. It'd be more difficult to compare Capullo to someone like Maguerite Sauvage, Erica Henderson, Stephanie Hans, Frazier Irving, Chris Bachalo, or Pulido. If the list were to include non cape books, that list would run much longer. Sean G Murphy has done one cape book I think.

Theres also guys I'd put in the same level as him like David Marquez or Daniel Acuna. This reminds me of how far John Cassaday has fallen off. Dude was one of the very best during his Astonishing X-Men/Planetary days

That is a solid list man. I can't argue with that. But no love for David Lopez? Maybe even Garry Brown?

Owzers

I imagine comic fans weren't too happy about TV show Andrea. Because in this she is a badass.

Zombeen steam chat. Nao

Part of why I've only just started to like the Walking Dead tv show, still some plot gripes, but i didn't like the beginning through governor seasons much at all.

Part of why I've only just started to like the Walking Dead tv show, still some plot gripes, but i didn't like the beginning through governor seasons much at all.

Even now that it's getting closer to a direct adaptation, I still have some problems with it. It left things on such a boring note at the end of the last season. Not the best stopping point.

Rhaknar

Daredevil

Daredevil is already in the story, I meant instead of the "hero gets caught on tape with murdered lady", assuming they use that story or something similar

looking at Alias's wikipedia, the whole Purple Man stuff doesnt seem to actually be part of Alias, so where was that story from?

That is a solid list man. I can't argue with that. But no love for David Lopez? Maybe even Garry Brown?

I can't be intimately familiar with every artist! haha

I really haven't read many books that have Lopez on it (Im waaaay behind on Capt Marvel) and while I like Garry Brown I dont think I can make a solid case to put him over Capullo. There's tons of others I like but dont think I'd be able to argue convincingly that they are better than Capullo who I do think is very good.

who the fuck would pay 800 bucks for ANY artist's page? o_O
'Why does any art have value?'
is essentially the question you're asking.

Look at the medium you are using and then ask yourself that question again.

Some artists get paid $800+ to draw a page in the first place. Sean Gordon Murphy gets paid 3k for covers if I remember correctly

So...

The Comic-GAF Official Super Artist is...

J.H.Williams III on Layouts
Joe Made on Pencils
???? on Inks
FCO on Colours....

(I say that because the colours in Zero Year were Messi-tier)
this wouldnt work at all haha

Thats like a mess of styles

You'd be nullifying JHWIII's versatility and pure technical skill by just placing him on lay outs that play to his personal strengths. JHWIII already has all the skills necessary to do everything exceptionally well so really it could just be him.

If you wanted to use guys that could each do a part exceptionally well Id go with

Quitely or Darrow on breakdowns/layouts
Coipel or Opena on pencils
Dexter Vines on inks if necessary
Dean White or Fairbairn on colors

That would be fun. No clue if it would work tho

Messi

Sometimes colour does the art a disservice imo. Gary Brown's art in Catwoman would have been better in B&W. It would have suited the story too. But I doubt DC would have allowed it.

Owzers

Even now that it's getting closer to a direct adaptation, I still have some problems with it. It left things on such a boring note at the end of the last season. Not the best stopping point.

I don't really have any favorite shows right now, even the ones i like are a little iffy and the Walking Dead is below them. Last Man on Earth and Wayward Pines are my recent tv shows, i need to check out Humans. Last Man is too cringey and Pines too....Villagey.

If anyone gives Wayward Pines a try, make sure to get to the forth episode where the plot starts to unfold.

Rhaknar

Its in Alias. Wait and see ;)

I bet its in those last issues and I bet I dont even own them lol. let me check

edit: yup, last issue I have is issue 21 aparently >_> unless they are in one of the few piles of comics I have laying around from when I was just about to stop collecting and wasnt even bothering bagging and putting them in binders anymore, its more likely I just missed them when I went cold turkey. Sigh

also i just noticed Punisher 23 is again by Ennis / Dillon, so they do go back to it at some point after issue #6

Sometimes colour does the art a disservice imo. Gary Brown's art in Catwoman would have been better in B&W. It would have suited the story too. But I doubt DC would have allowed it.

BW cape comics dont have great records in sales is probably why

Who was the colorist?

Messi

BTW I am not saying he did bad work. He didn't but I just think the art is better with just inks.

It pops way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom