• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have any favorite shows right now, even the ones i like are a little iffy and the Walking Dead is below them. Last Man on Earth and Wayward Pines are my recent tv shows, i need to check out Humans. Last Man is too cringey and Pines too....Villagey.

If anyone gives Wayward Pines a try, make sure to get to the forth episode where the plot starts to unfold.

I've watched a lot of TV in the past and only recently have shifted more to comics/books over TV shows. Walking Dead has been the worst show I've watched for quite some time now. It's not terrible enough that I'd drop it, but it's frustrating to watch at times.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just found something called the Pro by Gath Ennis in my "loosies" :eek:

ennis14.jpg

Also found some Max Punisher, wonder how much I have. Also by Ennis (but not Dillon). And I found a few more Alias, man I hope I have the remaining 7 issues

edit: im also finding a ton of Transformers stuff but I dont think this era was the awesome stuff you guys talk about right? thats more recent stuff?

edit: also some Max comics X-Men Phoenix which looks like...hentai. Whut? o_O

Not safe for work I guess (theres no nudity but damn Marvel?)

Messi

just found something called the Pro by Gath Ennis in my "loosies" :eek:

ennis14.jpg

Also found some Max Punisher, wonder how much I have. Also by Ennis (but not Dillon). And I found a few more Alias, man I hope I have the remaining 7 issues

The pro is pretty funny. It's drawn by Amanda Conner too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Transformers / Gi.Joe with some awesome looking "realistic" war art seems interesting. Its ridiculous how many comics I bought and never touched, I really was out of control :/

edit: Ultimate comics were glossy as shit werent they?

tim1138

Alright, depending on how you wanna categorize capes artists working 'right now'...I've put mostly people that have done cape books in the last 3 years

Bryan Hitch
Stuart Immonen
Oliver Coipel
Esad Ribic
Jerome Opena
Frank Quitely
Michael Del Mundo
Sarah Pichelli
Mike Allred
Jim Cheung
Chris Samnee
David Aja
Paolo Rivera
Steve McNiven
Travel Foreman
Howard Porter
Francis Manapul
Yannick Paquette
Chris Sprouse
Chris Burnham
Dustin Weaver

Thats just from cape books with more standard-ish styles. It'd be more difficult to compare Capullo to someone like Maguerite Sauvage, Erica Henderson, Stephanie Hans, Frazier Irving, Chris Bachalo, or Pulido. If the list were to include non cape books, that list would run much longer. Sean G Murphy has done one cape book I think.

Theres also guys I'd put in the same level as him like David Marquez or Daniel Acuna. This reminds me of how far John Cassaday has fallen off. Dude was one of the very best during his Astonishing X-Men/Planetary days

I see you and I share very similar tastes in artists. It's always good to see Howard Porter get some love. His work has come along way since his early days, and then you take into consideration he had to relearn how to draw after suffering nerve damage, it's crazy. I know there was some drama when Maguire was dropped from JL3K but I really can't imagine anyone but Porter on that book (especially since he did all the character design work).

You know, there's something to be said for not having a lot of available comics options. More than once the last couple weeks I've been stuck sitting around wondering what I should read next for like 20+ minutes instead of, you know, reading.

Boogiepop

Just imagine people that own all 70+ volumes of One Piece or Naruto.

Haha... yeah... that'd be craaaazy.... (/just ignore the 2000 and some volumes of manga I have, including all of One Piece, Jojo's, and Detective Conan, with plans to totally grab all of Hajime no Ippo when I can figure out making it work...)

Seriously though, I have a lot of goddamn manga and I am drowning in it. Currently have like 9 of those plastic storage box things full of manga just to keep some semblance of organization for the stuff I still have on shelves.

You know, there's something to be said for not having a lot of available comics options. More than once the last couple weeks I've been stuck sitting around wondering what I should read next for like 20+ minutes instead of, you know, reading.

I always go back to this TED talk about the paradox of choice. It's kind of interesting.

But yes, I know that feel. It usually takes me way longer than 20 minutes, though. lol

Boogiepop

Also, in a random rant... I realize it's kind of illogical, but I hate stupid Swimsuit/bunnygirl/whatever fanservice-y figures. Just finished reading Medaka Box and was all "man, I could totally see myself picking up a short-haired Medaka, or maybe her final mode thing..." And then all there is is like two different plain Medaka from early in the series, and then a bunnygirl outfit one, and a swimsuit one for her and Shiranui. And yeah, to be fair those things exist because they sell, and it's not like if they didn't exist they'd suddenly make different figures that I'd actually be interested in, and the limited selection is probably more of a result of the series not being as popular as I thought to have that level of merchandising, and of course as such the merchandise is going to be based solely on the anime. But damn if I don't see those and think "why can't you be something interesting and relevant to the series, bleh". (Yeah, this totally doesn't belong in here in retrospect, but figureGaf is dead, and you guys are where I tend to hang out, and manga stuff is kind of sort of maybe almost on topic...)

In more relevant conversation though, I'm most of the way through Brubaker Daredevil and I'm really, really liking it. But man is he kicking the crap out of Matt's life.

Started the second library edition of Hellboy and I was pleasantly surprised to see it's full of short stories, I love that shit! The first one about baby Hellboy not wanting pancakes was great.

And boogie, I feel you so hard on that. I read Medaka Box last year and saw the exact same thing :(

Also, in a random rant... I realize it's kind of illogical, but I hate stupid Swimsuit/bunnygirl/whatever fanservice-y figures. Just finished reading Medaka Box and was all "man, I could totally see myself picking up a short-haired Medaka, or maybe her final mode thing..." And then all there is is like two different plain Medaka from early in the series, and then a bunnygirl outfit one, and a swimsuit one for her and Shiranui. And yeah, to be fair those things exist because they sell, and it's not like if they didn't exist they'd suddenly make different figures that I'd actually be interested in, and the limited selection is probably more of a result of the series not being as popular as I thought to have that level of merchandising, and of course as such the merchandise is going to be based solely on the anime. But damn if I don't see those and think "why can't you be something interesting and relevant to the series, bleh". (Yeah, this totally doesn't belong in here in retrospect, but figureGaf is dead, and you guys are where I tend to hang out, and manga stuff is kind of sort of maybe almost on topic...)

In more relevant conversation though, I'm most of the way through Brubaker Daredevil and I'm really, really liking it. But man is he kicking the crap out of Matt's life.

It's Medaka Box. I think your expectations were unreasonable to begin with.

Rhaknar

Morrison's The Invisibles any good? found 7 TPBs of it, no idea if thats all of it, must have gotten it when I got my Preacher trades

and Im clearing missing a stack of loosies because im missing 3 or 4 Alias and Max Punisher issues but its not the last ones, so im sure I have them. Thats gonna chew me up until I find them

edit: hmm seems I do own all of The Invisibles

Say You Want a Revolution ISBN 1-56389-267-7
Apocalipstick ISBN 1-5638-9702-4
Entropy in the U.K ISBN 1-5638-9728-8
Bloody Hell in America ISBN 1-5638-9444-0
Counting to None ISBN 1-5638-9489-0
Kissing Mister Quimper ISBN 1-5638-9600-1
The Invisible Kingdom ISBN 1-4012-0019-2

worth a read?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I kinda want a Year Zero movie now. I like those wildlife City scenarions.

Dr. Death was my favorite part of the story. Scary villain with an interesting gimmick. Would have been a nice addition to Batmans Rouge gallery.

The demons' reaction to it is just great

I'm really enjoying the series so far. Mignola's created such an interesting world and I love how he incorporates all sorts of different folklore and his own sense of humor into it. Definitely going to continue on with this and try out BPRD too.

tim1138

The demons' reaction to it is just great

I'm really enjoying the series so far. Mignola's created such an interesting world and I love how he incorporates all sorts of different folklore and his own sense of humor into it. Definitely going to continue on with this and try out BPRD too.

After I finished all of Hellboy last year I tracked down a copy of the folklore book Mignola references a lot later in the series (the name currently escapes me). It was interesting to read the original tales that inspired him.

Morrison's The Invisibles any good? found 7 TPBs of it, no idea if thats all of it, must have gotten it when I got my Preacher trades

and Im clearing missing a stack of loosies because im missing 3 or 4 Alias and Max Punisher issues but its not the last ones, so im sure I have them. Thats gonna chew me up until I find them

worth a read?

I gave up after, like, 10 pages.

Best of luck.

Usagi Yojimbo: I really want a game in the vein of Witcher 3 set in this world. Some character called Jei has been introduced and something about the character design really stands out. Really creepy. Also,
Noodles.... ;(

Say You Want a Revolution ISBN 1-56389-267-7
Apocalipstick ISBN 1-5638-9702-4
Entropy in the U.K ISBN 1-5638-9728-8
Bloody Hell in America ISBN 1-5638-9444-0
Counting to None ISBN 1-5638-9489-0
Kissing Mister Quimper ISBN 1-5638-9600-1
The Invisible Kingdom ISBN 1-4012-0019-2

worth a read?

Give it a shot, you might like it.
I didn't.

I always go back to this TED talk about the paradox of choice. It's kind of interesting.

But yes, I know that feel. It usually takes me way longer than 20 minutes, though. lol

Oh, I'm pretty in line that thinking. I've seen it all over my life.

In any case, it's only 20 minutes when I'm really quick about it. It can go on for hours of mucking about.

Heavy ass marvel week:

Not for me. I don't have a single Marvel book coming out this week. I'm oddly happy about that.

so which one of y'all is gonna bite the bullet and get Strange Fruit

Which one is that? Probably not one I'm buying.

Haha... yeah... that'd be craaaazy.... (/just ignore the 2000 and some volumes of manga I have, including all of One Piece, Jojo's, and Detective Conan, with plans to totally grab all of Hajime no Ippo when I can figure out making it work...)

Seriously though, I have a lot of goddamn manga and I am drowning in it. Currently have like 9 of those plastic storage box things full of manga just to keep some semblance of organization for the stuff I still have on shelves.

Ha ha, I'm sorry. Most I have is 37 Volumes of Berserk and 26 Volumes of Claymore. I have the 10 currently released volumes of Gundam Origin (because they're beautiful) and a bunch of shorter series like Flowers of Evil, Yotsuba! and Sankarea. Also going to be buying Prison School as it gets released, as well as the Emma hardcovers (<3 Kaoru Mori). Bride's Story is also excellent. oh, and I have Pluto as well. And I'm keeping up with Monster Musume. Okay, I guess I do have some manga.

I buy way more from IST than I ever sit down to read. It's kind of insane. But I do actually read something off the shelf from time to time.

Usagi Yojimbo: I really want a game in the vein of Witcher 3 set in this world. Some character called Jei has been introduced and something about the character design really stands out. Really creepy. Also,
Noodles.... ;(

So basically, you'd like a Witcher 3 game for the furry audience? :)

I buy way more from IST than I ever sit down to read. It's kind of insane. But I do actually read something off the shelf from time to time.

Amazingly, I've actually been making progress on cutting down on my unread stuff the last couple of weeks. Of course, all it would take for that to turn around would be either a week or two of lots of new collected editions I want and/or finding a new series or three to read. In other words, this won't last long.

So basically, you'd like a Witcher 3 game for the furry audience? :)

lol. You might joke, but there is something about the setting, the weather effects and vistas Sakai draws, the interesting characters, unexpected humour, the pathos and violence of the land and the stories that parallel Witcher 3. It just jumped out to me that CDPR might do some justice to this.

lol. You might joke, but there is something about the setting, the weather effects and vistas Sakai draws, the interesting characters, the pathos and violence of the land and in the stories that parallel Witcher 3. It just jumped out to me that CDPR might do some justice to this.

I can't imagine the Usagi Yojimbo world is nearly as brutal as the one Geralt lives in. Not with all those cute furry animals.

Owzers

I think Ant-Man's first arc is the worst i've read story-wise in a long time.
Integrating Cross into the story and a quick turn around on Scott's thinking regarding his role with Cassie...there was no time for anything interesting to happen outside of Grizzly's introduction into the story.
Howard the duck #2 levels of quality bewilderment.

Rhaknar

oh shit, theres a bit in The Pro that is literally the "what happens when Superman cums" joke every comic reader has ever told / thought o_O

To be fair, that finale was brutal as all hell.

I thought it was done more for shock-value than anything else. And in the long run to
make room for best waifu Andrea
. TWD has never been a book I really got the feels from. It's always been a "Wow, their lives suck." kind of adventure.

I thought it was done more for shock-value than anything else. And in the long run to
make room for best waifu Andrea
. TWD has never been a book I really got the feels from. It's always been a "Wow, their lives suck." kind of adventure.

I agree, but it's still brutal enough that afterwards you feel a little empty inside. I thought that's kind of what Messi meant.

It's not "I'm welling up" emotional.

Messi

I agree, but it's still brutal enough that afterwards you feel a little empty inside. I thought that's kind of what Messi meant.

It's not "I'm welling up" emotional.

I assure you I wasn't crying. It's just fucked up. How can you not have a reaction to
a baby and it's mother getting blown apart
. The violence level is several notches over the TV show.

It was more a reaction of what the fuck. What happens now. I hope all of you are happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom