• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Morrison's The Invisibles any good? found 7 TPBs of it, no idea if thats all of it, must have gotten it when I got my Preacher trades

and Im clearing missing a stack of loosies because im missing 3 or 4 Alias and Max Punisher issues but its not the last ones, so im sure I have them. Thats gonna chew me up until I find them

edit: hmm seems I do own all of The Invisibles

Say You Want a Revolution ISBN 1-56389-267-7
Apocalipstick ISBN 1-5638-9702-4
Entropy in the U.K ISBN 1-5638-9728-8
Bloody Hell in America ISBN 1-5638-9444-0
Counting to None ISBN 1-5638-9489-0
Kissing Mister Quimper ISBN 1-5638-9600-1
The Invisible Kingdom ISBN 1-4012-0019-2

worth a read?
Absolutely worth a read--it was Morrison's passion project, and is kind of a map for all of the themes/leit-motifs he loves to explore. There's a learning curve initially, as the first major arc, Arcadia, is super fucking dense and just not that reader friendly, but stick with it, get past that one, and then just dive into that shit headfirst.

There's a lot of really fucking great and interesting stuff in the series--especially in the Apocalipstick arc--and it was well ahead of its time in terms of having a protagonist trans character.

Also, if you can, get your hands on the letters columns from the original printings. They provide so much important context for everything you read, and they're either written by Grant himself or his friends (Mark Millar). There's that infamous letter where he teaches you how to create a magick sigil and then power it by masturbating, all in the efforts to raise Invisibles sales numbers!

I assure you I wasn't crying. It's just fucked up. How can you not have a reaction to
a baby and it's mother getting blown apart
. The violence level is several notches over the TV show.

It was more a reaction of what the fuck. What happens now. I hope all of you are happy now.

Because it was done for shock value. Nothing more. It made no sense in the context of a story. Kirkman only did it to
cull the cast of characters a little bit
. It wasn't warranted, inventive, or unique.

Zombine

Banned
Because it was done for shock value. Nothing more. It made no sense in the context of a story. Kirkman only did it to

We can't be friends anymore. Messi, get the list.

Well, now hold on a second. I agree it was done for shock value, that much is obvious.
But considering who the Governor is, how well-armed his town is, and how things escalated to that point, it definitely fits within the context of the story. I'll give you that Kirkman probably planned this early on, but in all likelihood, given how well-equipped the Governor's men were, it makes sense that the casualties would be as high as they were. Yes, a mother who is carrying a baby in her arms as she's trying to escape an assault would probably be gunned down. Many people would be gunned down. I feel like that's how Kirkman approached this situation, "ok I've created this mad man with a bunch of fire power, who would realistically survive an assault of this size?"

fbNfvAX.gif

Cade

I'm already mad at gaming side people who never read a superman comic in their lives hating on superman over this superman or JL game guys

pls console me

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm already mad at gaming side people who never read a superman comic in their lives hating on superman over this superman or JL game guys

pls console me
This Video looks fake as hell. "-Kryptonit damages him in this costume" You dont say.

Cade

This Video looks fake as hell. "-Kryptonit damages him in this costume" You dont say.

I think people are taking the tweet about the leak too much as fact as it being a Superman game. If you look at the way it's laid out, it looks much more plausible to be a JL game

Had a really great Kijiji find that I only had to drive 20 mins for, the first injustice as a trade paperback, then the next three in hardcover for 30 bucks ! I basically just read the first trade cover to cover, wow. What a page turner ! I've really enjoyed what they did with these, especially when you realize they're sort of retelling the story to an MK game. I absolutely adore their batman, and green arrow and flash bits are also really good. Manages to shift tone heavily from happy to fucked up, especially in that arkham bit. Might just go read more. I really dig the catwoman with all the mechanisms and thief tech.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just hope they will have a far different artdesign. The last Arkham games had to many characters who looked to military-like.

Cade

Superman game? Wat? I haven't heard of this before.
Yeah, tha'ts the rumor

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075451

Also, all those people discrediting it because of the Comic Sans-esque font.
I think there's a fine line between horrible UI making something believable and not. And this one is just horrible enough to be real
Well, they've got a point. ;)

If it plays anything like the Arkham games, I'll play it for sure. Lois better be super hot, tho.

Lois better be sassy like DCAU Lois

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So on Friday I caught up as far as possible on "Nameless". Fucking amazing book. I sent pics of some of the cooler panels to my kids and girlfriend but nobody really gives a fuck and they just sort of humor me. I don't understand how you can't think this shit is amazing.

Today while the kids were in the pool and the girlfriend was cooking pizza I finished up Afterlife with Archie #8 finally. Man, what an amazing series! This issue in particular was just so deep. I so can't wait for the next Afterlife and Sabrina books. More than any other comic I'm looking forward to those.

Providence #2 in only three days!

So on Friday I caught up as far as possible on "Nameless". Fucking amazing book. I sent pics of some of the cooler panels to my kids and girlfriend but nobody really gives a fuck and they just sort of humor me. I don't understand how you can't think this shit is amazing.

Divorce your kids and your wife, only option left now

Savitar

I wanna see that Suicide squad game that WB Montreal are supposedly working on. That's could be really cool.

If they had a no win scenario like Dark souls does with the player getting killed no matter what to show the fact this is the Suicide Squad that would be great.

Can't help but feel due to the name it could get changed to Task Force X though. I mean...Suicide? Think of the children!

Dan Slott has quite a bit of time on his hands I guess.

While I agree with Birdie that the comic stores need all the help they can get, Slott's statements are pushing it a bit.

The stuff leaked a few days early. So what? I think Slott just likes to complain about anything BC does.

ElNarez

Banned
really comic marketing is fucked in like a billion ways and that shit needs to change

but people who leak stuff are not helping and what BC did was basically a super scummy cashgrab

tim1138

So on Friday I caught up as far as possible on "Nameless". Fucking amazing book. I sent pics of some of the cooler panels to my kids and girlfriend but nobody really gives a fuck and they just sort of humor me. I don't understand how you can't think this shit is amaziny

Hmm, sounds like you need a new girlfriend and kids

If they had a no win scenario like Dark souls does with the player getting killed no matter what to show the fact this is the Suicide Squad that would be great.

Can't help but feel due to the name it could get changed to Task Force X though. I mean...Suicide? Think of the children!

They did that for the Lego Batman 3 DLC, I think.

Honestly, considering that they're calling the movie Suicide Squad, I fully expect the game to be called that too.

FOX NEWS: A new video game being released that encourages players to kill themselves? More after the break.

Tizoc

One thing I disliked about the Akira animated movie is the pacing, but overall, far as animation goes it's really top notch, the story, characters and pacing could've been adapted better though.

Morrison's The Invisibles any good? found 7 TPBs of it, no idea if thats all of it, must have gotten it when I got my Preacher trades

and Im clearing missing a stack of loosies because im missing 3 or 4 Alias and Max Punisher issues but its not the last ones, so im sure I have them. Thats gonna chew me up until I find them

edit: hmm seems I do own all of The Invisibles

Say You Want a Revolution ISBN 1-56389-267-7
Apocalipstick ISBN 1-5638-9702-4
Entropy in the U.K ISBN 1-5638-9728-8
Bloody Hell in America ISBN 1-5638-9444-0
Counting to None ISBN 1-5638-9489-0
Kissing Mister Quimper ISBN 1-5638-9600-1
The Invisible Kingdom ISBN 1-4012-0019-2

worth a read?

It's 7 effin volumes of course get it :p
This is the series that dictated Morrison's themes and style in a lot of his later work.
Keep in mind though that some people can only handle a certain amount of Grant Morrison comics, so maybe give Book 1 a read at least, if it interests you get the next and so on.
Invisibles is among the few Morrison series I've not read, but maybe I should give it a read already :p
I do like his other short comics that he made for Vertigo though, Seaguy in particular was quite popular with the online group I discussed comics with some years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom