• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Kim & Kim is my favorite hot mess. If you like Giant Days, you should read Kim & Kim. A weird recc, but I stand by it.

Kim & Kim is amazing. Has some similarities with Giant Days, for sure, but it's way more trashy. Hot mess describes it perfectly. Also, the art got way better in the new series.

Messi

Kim & Kim is amazing. Has some similarities with Giant Days, for sure, but it's way more trashy. Hot mess describes it perfectly. Also, the art got way better in the new series.

Tess Fowler is doing great work on covers too. Happy for her.

Same artist too. Nice.

dh4niel

Man, looking at people's OHC collects make my softcovers look scrub tier. My omnibus hardcovers are more impressive though. :p

Phamit

Phil Noto is coming to my Local Comic Bookstore here in Germany, maybe i should go, but I don't have anything from Noto =/

Aizo

Banned
Kim & Kim is my favorite hot mess. If you like Giant Days, you should read Kim & Kim. A weird recc, but I stand by it.
Could you elaborate? Hot mess doesn't sound good to me. It's so expensive. 13 bucks for 4 issues in a volume?

Could you elaborate? Hot mess doesn't sound good to me. It's so expensive. 13 bucks for 4 issues in a volume?

If it doesn't sound good to you, why are you interested? :^)

The author describes it as "Cowboy Bebop meets Broad City." Hot mess is congruent with that.

As for the price, $13 is the MSRP vs. the $15+ MSRP on Big Two trades or similar prices on non-introductory trades from Image.

Aizo

Banned
If it doesn't sound good to you, why are you interested? :^)

The author describes it as "Cowboy Bebop meets Broad City." Hot mess is congruent with that.

As for the price, $13 is the MSRP vs. the $15+ MSRP on Big Two trades or similar prices on non-introductory trades from Image.
Because hot mess was vague and doesn't tell me anything about the comic. :^)
What do you like about it? I'd like to hear more.

Because hot mess was vague and doesn't tell me anything about the comic. :^)
What do you like about it? I'd like to hear more.

There are a few things I think it does really well. The dialogue and writing in general is part of it. The writer channels part of herself into the characters and it comes off as being very genuine. The two Kims are both LGBT - Kim Q being transsexual and Kim D being bisexual; the writer is transsexual herself and began writing the book when she began transitioning. There are a lot of hijinks and overall the first series is a lot of fun, as opposed to the second one which is that and has a little more emotion behind it. Apart from that, there's a lot of clever world-building, because they have a blank-slate to create whatever kind of universe they want for the characters; the ideas that they present are interested and relatable.

Simply put, it's just a lot of fun to read the kind of space-faring hijinks these characters get into.

Aizo

Banned
There are a few things I think it does really well. The dialogue and writing in general is part of it. The writer channels part of herself into the characters and it comes off as being very genuine. The two Kims are both LGBT - Kim Q being transsexual and Kim D being bisexual; the writer is transsexual herself and began writing the book when she began transitioning. There are a lot of hijinks and overall the first series is a lot of fun, as opposed to the second one which is that and has a little more emotion behind it. Apart from that, there's a lot of clever world-building, because they have a blank-slate to create whatever kind of universe they want for the characters; the ideas that they present are interested and relatable.

Simply put, it's just a lot of fun to read the kind of space-faring hijinks these characters get into.
Thank you! Added to my wishlist.

ElNarez

Banned
Batman #26 was that good good "our innate darkness is gonna kill us all and I am powerless to stop it" Tom King shit that y'all said you loved back when he did Vision and I don't know how you can hate on it with a straight face.

Mindwipe

Today's random observation on my last ten years of X-Men MU read - it's kinda baffling how some of these series got greenlit. Surely nobody believed X-treme X-Men or Age of Apocalypse would sell at the time.

Today's random observation on my last ten years of X-Men MU read - it's kinda baffling how some of these series got greenlit. Surely nobody believed X-treme X-Men or Age of Apocalypse would sell at the time.
X-Men printed money. Marvel wishes comics like ASM sold as well as a random X-Men related issue from back then.

frye

snotgirl is cool, like it's obviously cribbing the "comics language" and some of the situations from shojo manga but something about it is off kilter and it doesn't feel derivative

Finished reading the 4 issue Catwoman/Wildcat crossover. Damn, this was super violent. Might have worked better as a slightly shorter arc but still decent fun.

VrhJEj4.png

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I understand. Are you enjoying it?

I am. I liked the heist stuff in the a plot. Kuder did work in The Collector's museum.

The Gamora issue was all right, but I don't like Frazier Irving as much as others do.

This last issue was good. I love
the radio signals as time travel
concept.

Malyse

Tess Fowler is doing great work on covers too. Happy for her.

Same artist too. Nice.

Those covers give me life.

-----

I'm working my way through Ehko and kinda wondering why I'm reading it. The art is fucking gorgeous, but the plot ranges from Meh to Fuck These Guys. Legit spoiler:
there's a scene of less than consensual sex with no consequence
and that's a big nono in my list. I'm hoping that
they murder the guy later
but that's just my preferred resolution for that trope.
I'm thinking it's going to be a love story though.

Probably. That was a Wood book too right?

Yes it was. Great start that gradually went down hill.

I don't hate character work, I just didn't realize that the book was bi-weekly.

That wasn't aimed specifically at you more the "If this tv show was 2 episodes shorter is would be perfect crowd." Those who don't like spending time in a world with characters. They also then complain that characters are 2D. WHAT DO YOU WANT!?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't aimed specifically at you more the "If this tv show was 2 episodes shorter is would be perfect crowd." Those who don't like spending time in a world with characters. They also then complain that characters are 2D. WHAT DO YOU WANT!?

I know what you mean. There's been a bit of drama about The Adventure Zone podcast, which took a couple of months to give backstory (that wasn't strictly necessary) right before the final confrontation.

Some people want them to get right to the end, but I love the show because I love spending time with the characters and the people that play them. I don't want them to rush to the end.

ElNarez

Banned
Here's a compilation of pages and panels from the current volume of Champions. This is the kind of Waid you'd get on the post-Secret Empire, "we swear he isn't a nazi anymore, now let the country heal" story arc of Captain America. Do not, even for a moment, think that you wouldn't, because it will hurt that much longer when you will.

Samnee can't salvage that, because it cannot be a straightforward action book. Not in that context and not in these times.

e:
I know what you mean. There's been a bit of drama about The Adventure Zone podcast, which took a couple of months to give backstory (that wasn't strictly necessary) right before the final confrontation.

Some people want them to get right to the end, but I love the show because I love spending time with the characters and the people that play them. I don't want them to rush to the end.

The one thing I love more than anything else about the new Twin Peaks is that it's teaching people to luxuriate again. To stop, smell the roses, and meditate on the things you're seeing. Just enjoy the moment, the place and the people therein, because life is short and Evil is coming. Fuck a wiki, fuck a recap, just enjoy this. Feel, for fuck's sake.

Messi

I remember hearing she hurt her hand or something. A big shame but at least her covers are just as great. She's so good.

She broke her non drawing wrist in Italy and only got it out of a cast/sling in the past few months. She tripped on a curb :(

But apparently she has other problems in her drawing hand that means she can't do that much drawing for interiors. I'd love to see her work slowly and do one of the DC premier books that are coming. Have her do a Harley one.

Top Bottom