• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

VanWinkle

Hey freeza, the collection is finally complete:
h1QhVN.jpg

What I really need to push me over the edge is the full winkle works. I want a 20 picture gallery, paper stock and binding breaking points, live video acidity/taste test. There's no saying no after that ;)

Haha, that's exactly right.

Malyse

Blackbolt is a limited series, isn't it? T___T

Champions was really good this week. Like, this felt like what I've been wanting the series to be. Nadia and Riri joining up is great. But I'm still not loving Ramos art. I wish Whitley and Gurihiru were on this book.

The Daredevil Supreme arc would make good TV.

I wish there was a DC Fight Fight, cause the Defiance costumes are hot. Am I correct in assuming that the last page in Deathstroke is that character's first Rebirth appearance?

Team up idea: Poison Ivy and Groot.

Kate Bishop deserves to be in the MCU. They should announce a Hawkeye movie and then bait and switch to Kate. Ooh no, make it Hawkeye and Widow and make it Kate and Ava.

Blackbolt is a limited series, isn't it? T___T

Champions was really good this week. Like, this felt like what I've been wanting the series to be. Nadia and Riri joining up is great. But I'm still not loving Ramos art. I wish Whitley and Gurihiru were on this book.

The Daredevil Supreme arc would make good TV.

I wish there was a DC Fight Fight, cause the Defiance costumes are hot. Am I correct in assuming that the last page in Deathstroke is that character's first Rebirth appearance?

Team up idea: Poison Ivy and Groot.

Kate Bishop deserves to be in the MCU. They should announce a Hawkeye movie and then bait and switch to Kate. Ooh no, make it Hawkeye and Widow and make it Kate and Ava.
Yep,
first appearance of Terra in Rebirth and she's nothing like the one from N52.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Acht what a bummer, I had no idea Godshaper had settled on just the six issues. No doubt Spurrier will nail it but I'm sure the way he talked about it before launch, he had ideas of more.

At this point I just assume everything Spurrier does is going to be a mini-series.

Messi

The Action Comics Rebirth OHC looks GREAT. AND the binding is even better than Marvel's OHC bindings. So I'm happy.

Z9QOh4.jpg

ve5iCU.jpg

NZmt2D.jpg

Oh that sexy open binding. So sexual. Also glossy pages? Quality. It's not too loose right? That's always a concern of mine.

Take it out of you Marvel ohcs you monster. Don't cross the streams.

VanWinkle

You just mix and match DC and Marvel? Disgusting

Come on, I'm not a savage. I just put it there to show how it looks next to Marvel Now OHCs!

Oh that sexy open binding. So sexual. Also glossy pages? Quality. It's not too loose right? That's always a concern of mine.

Take it out of you Marvel ohcs you monster. Don't cross the streams.

The binding feels perfect. I mean, it opens flat super easy but it still feels strong.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
There've been 5 issues of All New Guardians and two of them have been filler. That's weird right?

Though the art this issue was killer. Gotta love Samnee.

Sandfox

There've been 5 issues of All New Guardians and two of them have been filler. That's weird right?

I could see calling #5 filler, but #3 most certainly wasn't. They're doing it this way to ease the workload on Kuder.

Malyse

Kim & Kim is my favorite hot mess. If you like Giant Days, you should read Kim & Kim. A weird recc, but I stand by it.

Team up idea: Esther DeGroot and Hannah from Rat Queens.

What the FUCK, SNOT GIRL? God, bimonthly? Also, confirmed Snot Girl doesn't give a fuck about making sense.

LANA YES! This is HAPPENING!
Yes I'm Miles/Gwen, but I'm also Lana/Miles.
I hope they aren't setting us up for a Aida moment. That would be excessively cruel.

Speaking of, there are enough spiders that they can give us a game a year without repeating for a while. You have Jess, Gwen, Miles, Peter, Cindy, Anya, and they you can hope into esoteric stuff like Annie, Mayday, Miguel, Porker, etc.

Spider-Man/Deadpool swearing off jokes was funny than expected.

Snotgirl is good. Gonna be hard to wait two months between issues but if it lets them stay on pace, I'll deal. Leslie Hung's art is a treasure.

For anyone who is interested in a mini series featuring a character who deals with anxiety, I'd recommend Boom's Brave Chef Brianna. It's a 4 part series. The juxtaposition of cartoonish art, cute monster characters, and chronic anxiety of the main character is intriguing. It works better than one might imagine. Sweet series with a ton of heart.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How good is Hickman's Avengers? Is it East of West and Secret Wars good? Eyeing that new Omnibus since it has a pretty good deal on IST but I don't know much about his run.

Aizo

Banned
If you could force everyone ITT to read five currently ongoing comics, what comics would they be?

The Unbelieveable Gwenpool
Shade the Changing Girl
Tomboy
Mother Panic
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra
Giant Days

In that order.
Giant Days
Kill or be Killed
Black Monday Murders
Monstress
I wanna say Southern Bastards and Snotgirl, but they're hardly on going.

That'd be the order. Mostly just Giant Days and Kill or be Killed, though.

Edit: Honestly, I think my favorite books are some that I haven't started yet. I think I'm really going to like Shade, Mother Panic, and a few others.

Are there any decent Fantastic 4 stories in the last 10 years? Realized I've never read anything of theirs solo, just crossover/avengers moments.

DCAU Aquaman is so serious!

I have a friend whose first exposure to Aquaman was through JL/JLU, so he didn't understand all the, "Aquaman is so useless and corny," jokes that got thrown around. I wish he had more storylines though. He's treated as a Leaguer throughout the entirety of the show after his first appearance, and he's basically treated as an unofficial eighth for the core group.

I feel like he was supposed to have more storylines later on in the series, but rights shenanigans ensued. Instead we got more of the Hawk storylines, which...look, Shayera is probably my favorite character in the series, but fuck what they do later on (if this is your first time, SPOILERS)
by bringing the reincarnation thread. There were other, far more interesting stories to pursue, and y'all chose that one. Especially after they already settled on her space origin being the core one. It makes a simple storyline far more convoluted. Plus I'm not a fan of either of those episodes.

Wanderer5

I have a friend whose first exposure to Aquaman was through JL/JLU, so he didn't understand all the, "Aquaman is so useless and corny," jokes that got thrown around. I wish he had more storylines though. He's treated as a Leaguer throughout the entirety of the show after his first appearance, and he's basically treated as an unofficial eighth for the core group.

I feel like he was supposed to have more storylines later on in the series, but rights shenanigans ensued. Instead we got more of the Hawk storylines, which...look, Shayera is probably my favorite character in the series, but fuck what they do later on (if this is your first time, SPOILERS)
by bringing the reincarnation thread. There were other, far more interesting stories to pursue, and y'all chose that one. Especially after they already settled on her space origin being the core one. It makes a simple storyline far more convoluted. Plus I'm not a fan of either of those episodes.

Heh was probably my first exposure to him too. It has been a while, but I really cracked up when I saw his appearance in Superman: TAS earlier this year, with the not fucking around attitude, and then remembering him in JL.

And I think I know what you are talking about, but I need to rewatch that plot point. One of the episodes involving that had to do with some lovecraft stuff right and
Grundy
?

Heh was probably my first exposure to him too. It has been a while, but I really cracked up when I saw his appearance in Superman: TAS earlier this year, with the not fucking around attitude, and then remembering him in JL.

And I think I know what you are talking about, but I need to rewatch that plot point. One of the episodes involving that had to do with some lovecraft stuff right and
Grundy
?
"The Terror Beyond" is the Cthulu episode. It's a great one. I don't remember Aquaman in S:TAS.

Wanderer5

It's a shame that the animated adaptation of Throne of Atlantis was such a letdown.

Not good? Haven't seen it, but the comic was okay with some moments. Don't think I had seen any of the DC animated films in recent times actually (was going to see Killing Joke, but...).

Edit: Well actually Gods and Monsters wasn't too long ago, but I haven't seen any of the animated film universe they have going.

On creating Minoru Mineta from MHA:
This guy's design was decided early in the planning stage. I'm a perv myself, so he's always fun to draw, but I realize that some out there aren't big fans of pervs, so it's hard to find just the right balance.

Messi

The book is bi weekly. The character issues are allowing Kuder to stay ahead and they fill out their versions of the characters.

Hmm 5 books is tough, but I'd say:

Motor Girl (I'm not sure if this is limited series rather than ongoing though?)
Saga
Giant Days
Doom Patrol
Thor

Black Monday Murders would probably have been in there but felt like last few issues its been spinning its wheels a bit

I'm a big Hickman fan and I thought his Avengers run was great, but apart from the Infinity tie in issues and then when it all combined in Time Runs Out, you could just go straight from New Avengers into Secret Wars. The mainline Avengers series wasn't the best until that point. The whole run is definitely worth a read though, best build up and event theyve had in years.

Messi

Hmm 5 books is tough, but I'd say:

Motor Girl (I'm not sure if this is limited series rather than ongoing though?)
Saga
Giant Days
Doom Patrol
Thor

Black Monday Murders would probably have been in there but felt like last few issues its been spinning its wheels a bit

I'm a big Hickman fan and I thought his Avengers run was great, but apart from the Infinity tie in issues and then when it all combined in Time Runs Out, you could just go straight from New Avengers into Secret Wars. The mainline Avengers series wasn't the best until that point. The whole run is definitely worth a read though, best build up and event theyve had in years.

Motor Girl is going 12 issues I believe or maybe 10 then next year Strangers in Paradise returns for an arc.

Motor Girl is going 12 issues I believe or maybe 10 then next year Strangers in Paradise returns for an arc.

Great thanks, I thought I'd heard in the past that it was only going to be limited but wasn't sure. Probably my favourite thing in my pull list at the moment though. If the story is just going to be Sams personal story about getting over her PTSD I can see why it would be limited, but if they expanded the space/other planets side of it I could see how they could have made it work as an ongoing.

I tried the first trade of Strangers Of Paradise after all the recommendations on here and loving Motor Girl, but I don't know I found it a bit flimsy and soap like. Does it get better as it goes on?

Messi

Great thanks, I thought I'd heard in the past that it was only going to be limited but wasn't sure. Probably my favourite thing in my pull list at the moment though. If the story is just going to be Sams personal story about getting over her PTSD I can see why it would be limited, but if they expanded the space/other planets side of it I could see how they could have made it work as an ongoing.

I tried the first trade of Strangers Of Paradise after all the recommendations on here and loving Motor Girl, but I don't know I found it a bit flimsy and soap like. Does it get better as it goes on?

It changes fairly dramatically. Keep going but keep in mind it's a slice of life book. It's always going to be somewhat soap like. But the tone changes after a bit. It went on for a long time. Once the main characters hook you you'll be in.

Also as time goes on a lot of words can describe sip but flimsy isn't one of them. It gets much closer to the more serious tone of motor girl. Please keep going.

Katchoo deserves the love

Top Bottom