• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Yeah I posted about that the other day

Third printing will be even more btw, buy it now if you're interested. I think the second/third printings will have ads too.

I already bought a copy at $2.99.

It just seems weird that when they have momentum going and people are wanting to try the #1, they jack up the price and include ads.

Owzers

New Avengers #2: This series feels like one of those books that exist before Marvel figures out what they want to do with their Avengers line.

It is, but it'll all make sense.
I'm sure it will. The only part that I actually thought was genuinely a WTF was when
he finds Kate and she says she's been there for 12 years, which is why she appears much older. The whole "time" thing is what's so weird for me. Beverly I got, because I was just like "Oh they're secretly brainwashing her to think she's been there for only a year." Kate, though...

I may keep watching. I dunno.

Dang. Had a really fun run of Overwatch. It's funny how the characters I thought I'd gravitate to aren't the ones when I started playing. I'm really enjoying going support/tank. Especially Mercy. It's a lot of fun knowing you're making the win happening just healing, buffing, etc. also dig Reinhardt & Roadhog. I did spend an hour in training learning all heroes so I want so limited in my options.

Owzers

Dang. Had a really fun run of Overwatch. It's funny how the characters I thought I'd gravitate to aren't the ones when I started playing. I'm really enjoying going support/tank. Especially Mercy. It's a lot of fun knowing you're making the win happening just healing, buffing, etc. also dig Reinhardt & Roadhog. I did spend an hour in training learning all heroes so I want so limited in my options.

eventually you will play as the only legendary skin you get.

First game was pretttttty awful, Attack team where everyone wanted to be Attack class, get destroyed. I tried being Reinhart to see if someone would be support, tried Lucio to see if anyone wanted to go tankier or something. But nope! Elite team of Tracer/Gunslinger/Reaper/Genji

Li Kao

T3IWKz0.jpg
LsKTzWT.jpg
VrN4fXQ.jpg
gwCXeVR.jpg

- All New Hawkeye (2015) #5
Award for the most consistently mediocre title I read. Have zero appeal and make zero sense (WTF with giving back the **** to the bad guys ?)

- Amazing Spider-Man #15
Epilogue to Spider-Verse, my ordeal is over at last. Hyperbole here, it wasn't terribad, tons of events are worse, but it still was nothing really interesting spread thin over too many issues.

- Ant-Man #3
I really would like to love the title more but I fear the 'loser dad with heart in the right place' archetype does nothing for me. And I'm not particularly fan of the art. A good solid comics though, a little too light but not bad overall.

- Howard the Duck (2015) #3
Contrary to titles like Squirrel-Girl, the jokes in it fall flat regularly for me. I'm not a Howard fan. That being said, it was enjoyable from start to finish, good looking, fun... A good time.

fPkE8cn.jpg
BpL5OE2.jpg
qRpULJK.jpg
lixaaEi.jpg

- Silk (2015) #1
Interesting art style to go with the wider audience thing I suppose. Unfortunate that the plot is so not trying anything new. Bland first issue.

- Spider-Gwen (2015) #1
How can you manage to make a fucking first issue confusing is beyond me. The fact that nothing is of any interest in it is certainly not helping.

- Spider-Man 2099 #9
I honestly don't recall much of it. But it is David. So even bad David is still good comics.
I recall it was very empty plot/action/anything-wise though. Weak issue.

- Spider-Woman (2015) #5
Now that the title is rid of Spider-Verse and Greg Land it becomes both interesting and really beautiful to look at. Great time.

Highlights of the night:
Howard the Duck (2015) #3 / Spider-Woman (2015) #5

Stinkers of the night:
All New Hawkeye (2015) #5 / Spider-Gwen (2015) #1

JTripper

So many omnibuses releasing this fall. Got my eye on the Ms Marvel and Ditko's Strange. Is the New 52 Flash one worth it? It includes the first 25 issues. Also Duggan/Posehn's Deadpool includes 50 issues worth, 1000+ pages. Hot damn. Was that series any good?

tim1138

So many omnibuses releasing this fall. Got my eye on the Ms Marvel and Ditko's Strange. Is the New 52 Flash one worth it? It includes the first 25 issues. Also Duggan/Posehn's Deadpool includes 50 issues worth, 1000+ pages. Hot damn. Was that series any good?

Only if you like boring as fuck comics. The art is great but that's pretty much all it has going for it.

Hagi

Flash has been good covered poo since after Flashpoint so skip that. Deadpool is really good though might have to pick that up myself.

Messi

T3IWKz0.jpg
LsKTzWT.jpg
VrN4fXQ.jpg
gwCXeVR.jpg

- All New Hawkeye (2015) #5
Award for the most consistently mediocre title I read. Have zero appeal and make zero sense (WTF with giving back the **** to the bad guys ?)

- Amazing Spider-Man #15
Epilogue to Spider-Verse, my ordeal is over at last. Hyperbole here, it wasn't terribad, tons of events are worse, but it still was nothing really interesting spread thin over too many issues.

- Ant-Man #3
I really would like to love the title more but I fear the 'loser dad with heart in the right place' archetype does nothing for me. And I'm not particularly fan of the art. A good solid comics though, a little too light but not bad overall.

- Howard the Duck (2015) #3
Contrary to titles like Squirrel-Girl, the jokes in it fall flat regularly for me. I'm not a Howard fan. That being said, it was enjoyable from start to finish, good looking, fun... A good time.

fPkE8cn.jpg
BpL5OE2.jpg
qRpULJK.jpg
lixaaEi.jpg

- Silk (2015) #1
Interesting art style to go with the wider audience thing I suppose. Unfortunate that the plot is so not trying anything new. Bland first issue.

- Spider-Gwen (2015) #1
How can you manage to make a fucking first issue confusing is beyond me. The fact that nothing is of any interest in it is certainly not helping.

- Spider-Man 2099 #9
I honestly don't recall much of it. But it is David. So even bad David is still good comics.
I recall it was very empty plot/action/anything-wise though. Weak issue.

- Spider-Woman (2015) #5
Now that the title is rid of Spider-Verse and Greg Land it becomes both interesting and really beautiful to look at. Great time.

Complaining about Stacey Lee's Silk art. Just you wait friend. Just you wait.

200w.gif

Li Kao

Complaining about Stacey Lee's Silk art. Just you wait friend. Just you wait.

200w.gif

Oh, you misunderstood me. I'm not in love with the art but have nothing against it either. No my issue with Silk is how generic the first issue was, not how it looked.

BTW I just learned that SHANG-CHI: MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC contains the Fu Man Chu stuff. How is it that it isn't on DCBS / InStockTrades ? Already sold out ?

Owzers

noooo my second legendary skin is Mccree, the game knows i hate him.

Also.....i keep being on teams that lose and have weird line-ups.

Zombine

Banned
noooo my second legendary skin is Mccree, the game knows i hate him.

Also.....i keep being on teams that lose and have weird line-ups.

Hide.

Throw your stun grenade.

Fan your weapon.

You won the battle bro.

I've spend the afternoon going through Y: The Last Man and I honestly forgot how good this story was. It's been a few years since I've read it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wow.

Just finished Hitman.

What a DAMN good comic. Absolutely fantastic. I know for a fact that too few of you folks here have read it. You need to get on that.
Especially if you've read Preacher and loved it, you absolutely need to read Hitman. In fact, Hitman is basically Preacher except without the only negatives (imo) that Preacher had - Hitman doesn't have the same excessive obscenity and vulgarity and straight-up grossness that burdened Preacher. Basically, Hitman is just a perfect comic.

Also, if any book deserves a nice omnibus, it's Hitman.

Ugh, what an absolute treat that was. So sad that it's over.

Well, time to start Gotham Central!

Li Kao

Talks about omnibus in here... spend the next hour browsing marvelmasterwoks and IST.
I really need a job.

...and I just noticed I missed some fabulous omnibuses, my day is ruined. Thanks for nothing GAF.

PS. Seriously, Starman, Planetary, Kamandi, ffs...

Wow.

Just finished Hitman.

What a DAMN good comic. Absolutely fantastic. I know for a fact that too few of you folks here have read it. You need to get on that.
Especially if you've read Preacher and loved it, you absolutely need to read Hitman. In fact, Hitman is basically Preacher except without the only negatives (imo) that Preacher had - Hitman doesn't have the same excessive obscenity and vulgarity and straight-up grossness that burdened Preacher. Basically, Hitman is just a perfect comic.

Also, if any book deserves a nice omnibus, it's Hitman.

Ugh, what an absolute treat that was. So sad that it's over.

Well, time to start Gotham Central!
Look forward to your Gotham Central impressions. Amazing run

JTripper

3 issues into the new Doc Strange and fuck is it good. I love how Strange is written, like a regular city dude who just knows a lot of otherworldly shit cause it's his job. I love Bachalo's work on X-Men which is what introduced me to him, but it feels like his style really shines here. The coloring is great too, especially during inter-dimensional scenes like when he's
running naked in Central Park
. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but I'm still engaged in the story and the moment to moment beats because the writing and humor is like candy and I just keep wanting more.

This'll be a hard series to trade wait for. I'm a Doctor Strange newbie but I'm already in love with the Sanctum Sanctorum as a Marvel Universe landmark.

Oh, you misunderstood me. I'm not in love with the art but have nothing against it either. No my issue with Silk is how generic the first issue was, not how it looked.

BTW I just learned that SHANG-CHI: MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC contains the Fu Man Chu stuff. How is it that it isn't on DCBS / InStockTrades ? Already sold out ?

Releases next Tuesday.

The real King. Overwatch was a false god.

I really like Overwatch, too. But Overwatch is a prince at best. Nothing gets my attention like a good RPG.

Tradd Moore is definitely in my top 10 artist list. The detail on structuring that he puts into every panel in Legacy of Luther Strode is fucking amazing.

Moore really doesn't get the attention that he deserves. His linework is exquisite.

When you're ready to join the pros, friend invite me: PSN Owzers

Are you going to play ranked mode when it opens at the end of June? I can't say I have any interest. People get too serious in competitive play.

Rebirth #1 second printing is going to have a new cover, be flat-bound and cost $5.99...

Punishing the people grabbing it late? Good move, DC.

Remember when Shia Labeouf was tied to Y The Last Man?

Remember when Shia Lebeouf had a promising career ahead of him?

I watched Fury the other night and I was like "oh yeah, I remember that guy."

I'm sure it will. The only part that I actually thought was genuinely a WTF was when
he finds Kate and she says she's been there for 12 years, which is why she appears much older. The whole "time" thing is what's so weird for me. Beverly I got, because I was just like "Oh they're secretly brainwashing her to think she's been there for only a year." Kate, though...

I may keep watching. I dunno.

You should stick with it. At least until the big reveal. You'll probably figure it out before it happens, though. I did.

Messi

I guess the backlash has started against overwatch quicker than I expected. You all knew what you were getting after the beta.

Hagi

I was going to buy the Gotham Central Omnibus today but damn it's far too big I just couldn't do it. So glad I never ordered it online before seeing it in person. Might just get the series from Comixology.

I guess the backlash has started against overwatch quicker than I expected. You all knew what you were getting after the beta.

oh stop it.

It's not like people are saying they hate the game. They just want more content. We knew it was going to be light in some areas from the beta, and I'm not sure it was a wise move to let people experience all of it before the actual release. Blah blah beta testing, I get it. You don't need to jump in and defend Blizzard every time someone criticizes the game.

Owzers

I'll try ranked, not sure what the difference was going to be outside of a Mei on our team using ice wall to block our only exit from our safe zone in the race to take the point. I'm still struggling with useful character switches.

I already bought a copy at $2.99.

It just seems weird that when they have momentum going and people are wanting to try the #1, they jack up the price and include ads.
I'd assume it's to drive retailers to buy as many first prints as they can. It is a weird decision considering how DC is doubling down on $2.99 though.

I wonder how trades are gonna work with Rebirth too. Like, Wonder Woman will be alternating between two different stories every other issue. Will the trades stay like that or will they just do the separate stories in their own trades?

I was going to buy the Gotham Central Omnibus today but damn it's far too big I just couldn't do it. So glad I never ordered it online before seeing it in person. Might just get the series from Comixology.
If you go with the digital versions, do it through Amazon. You'll save about $12, since the books are $9.99 there compared to $12.99 on CMX

PunishinG the people grabbing it late? Good move, DC.

I'd assume it's to drive retailers to buy as many first prints as they can. It is a weird decision considering how DC is doubling down on $2.99 though.

I wonder how trades are gonna work with Rebirth too. Like, Wonder Woman will be alternating between two different stories every other issue. Will the trades stay like that or will they just do the separate stories in their own trades?

Yeah, I wonder if the will reorder the trades or release them twice as quickly.

Also, I was in about 3 fairly large comic stores today, rebirth sold out everywhere.

Messi

oh stop it.

It's not like people are saying they hate the game. They just want more content. We knew it was going to be light in some areas from the beta, and I'm not sure it was a wise move to let people experience all of it before the actual release. Blah blah beta testing, I get it. You don't need to jump in and defend Blizzard every time someone criticizes the game.

First time I've defended the game in any way. Try again. It is unreasonable to expect more content 3 days after release. You knew what you were getting when you bought it. More content is coming. Give them time.

You would rather the beta was a map or two and one mode and lure people in with the hope of more? That's lol.

Mockingbird #3 was great. Really enjoying this so far and I'm eager to see how we return to the first issue. Writing just comes across very snappy and charming and the art is really nice too. Besides the two obvious best Marvel books, I'd say this is my favorite ongoing from them.

Top Bottom