• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

I wasn't go say anything but uh...it felt like a parody of a Rick Remender comic

And I'm actually not sure if Scalera's energy goes with White's darker palette

It was straight up embarrassing to read at parts...
the Carl Sagan quote and anarchist stuff that's clearly part autobio were awful

I think Scalera is a GREAT artist who can do really amazing images, but maybe not so great as a storyteller at times. His transitions lack momentum from one panel to the next (compared to, say, JRJR on Dimension Z) which made for a slowed reading experience on top of dry ass narration.

Nudull

Banned
So I take that Black Science lived up to the hype? Holiday shopping's gonna leave me broke for the next few days, so it'll be a bit before I pick up my stuff.

Messi

What books should I read to catch up on Avengers and Infinity? This stuff seems like fun and you folks are excited so I wanna read it. ALSO what's UA? Uncanny Avengers?

kswiston

What books should I read to catch up on Avengers and Infinity? This stuff seems like fun and you folks are excited so I wanna read it. ALSO what's UA? Uncanny Avengers?

Just New Avengers and Avengers. You could probably just read the first 8-9 issues of Avengers and skip to the Infinity tie in stuff and pick most of it up. Those first issues establish all of the new/obscure characters. All of New Avengers was worth reading though.

Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers. There's even a convenient timeline in the back of each book showing what order to read them in.

Thankfully, the "tie-ins" to this story aren't necessary reads. In fact, a lot of them just feel like afterthoughts.

It was straight up embarrassing to read at parts...
the Carl Sagan quote and anarchist stuff that's clearly part autobio were awful

I think Scalera is a GREAT artist who can do really amazing images, but maybe not so great as a storyteller at times. His transitions lack momentum from one panel to the next (compared to, say, JRJR on Dimension Z) which made for a slowed reading experience on top of dry ass narration.

Yeah, that was pretty explicit in that backmatter letters section.

IDK about that one. I tell you what though, Hawkeye is still legit. "Aw, flower..."

kswiston

Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers. There's even a convenient timeline in the back of each book showing what order to read them in.

Thankfully, the "tie-ins" to this story aren't necessary reads. In fact, a lot of them just feel like afterthoughts.

Infinity was just an Avengers/New Avengers crossover that filled in for Marvel's summer event since they didn't have anything else set up this year.

Who is stuck on Event duty next year?

I'm now getting back into comics thanks to this thread and listening to fatman on batman. Sold my collection when I was 22 to pay rent and eat. Got about $8,000 (just to preface when i went through everything it was probably worth close to $30 or 40 thousand because of the silver and bronze age stuff) for the whole lot from a guy starting a store. I had approx 16 long boxes filled with stuff ranging from silver age hand me downs from my uncle to bronze and modern age full runs. After having to do that the hobby died for me til now. 10 years later I'm falling in love again! Plus with a baby on the way and it being a boy what a perfect time to start collecting again so I can pass that love of art and writing down to him. So here I am recapturing part of my youth and getting to read arcs and stories that Ive missed out on. Must admit it is just as fun as I remember it being as a kid.

So with all that said I went on a serious spending spree at Barnes and Noble this week (loving the buy 2 get 1 to jump start me). Started by picking up all of Grant Morrison's run on batman (minus black glove), Moore's swamp thing trades, and the first three trades of new 52 batman. Still need to go back and get the rest of the classic (year one, doom patrol stuff, dark knight returns, things like that). But damn it feels good to be back in this hobby!

So with all that said I went on a serious spending spree at Barnes and Noble this week (loving the buy 2 get 1 to jump start me). Started by picking up all of Grant Morrison's run on batman (minus black glove), Moore's swamp thing trades, and the first three trades of new 52 batman. Still need to go back and get the rest of the classic (year one, doom patrol stuff, dark knight returns, things like that). But damn it feels good to be back in this hobby!

oooh.... oooh.... Umm.... That sounds expensive.

JEKKI

I read thru Infinity 6... is this issue the first time ever since Marvel Now that
Dr Strange
even does anything?

coz I read thru all of New Avengers up to this point and I dont even think he ever says anything,

jus hangs out there in the background like "hey whatup yallz I'm chillin!"

Infinity was just an Avengers/New Avengers crossover that filled in for Marvel's summer event since they didn't have anything else set up this year.

Wasn't there a rumor about Remender doing a big event next year? IDK, Uncanny Avengers feel like a damn event.

Today's WATXM felt like those early issues everybody liked, and I think Aaron has the best Maria Hill. The annual was expensive filler though, Nick Bradshaw and his army of inkers, goddamn do I wish they get him on a consistent schedule because he is pretty awesome.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'm now getting back into comics thanks to this thread and listening to fatman on batman. Sold my collection when I was 22 to pay rent and eat. Got about $8,000 (just to preface when i went through everything it was probably worth close to $30 or 40 thousand because of the silver and bronze age stuff) for the whole lot from a guy starting a store. I had approx 16 long boxes filled with stuff ranging from silver age hand me downs from my uncle to bronze and modern age full runs. After having to do that the hobby died for me til now. 10 years later I'm falling in love again! Plus with a baby on the way and it being a boy what a perfect time to start collecting again so I can pass that love of art and writing down to him. So here I am recapturing part of my youth and getting to read arcs and stories that Ive missed out on. Must admit it is just as fun as I remember it being as a kid.

If you like superheroes, get the first trades of "Invincible" by Kirkman/Walker/Ottley, or the volume one hardcover . You can thank me later.

frye

I read thru Infinity 6... is this issue the first time ever since Marvel Now that
Dr Strange
even does anything?

coz I read thru all of New Avengers up to this point and I dont even think he ever says anything,

No one really knows what to do with Doctor Strange in general.

Edit: I'm really liking the new 52 batman run. I hear it only gets better with zero year

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of prequels. In fact, I dropped Batman from my pull-list when Zero Year started. :p I've since decided to catch up, and I have to admit, it's quite good. I don't think I'd say I like it more than the first three arcs of the series (especially Death of the Family), but it's not bad.

kswiston

Dr Strange
even does anything?

He told Doom to shut his mouth in his own castle. Most of the time though, they use him like he's lockjaw.

Pretty Deadly 2 - THIS is what they should have put into the first issue, I was a bit apprehensive about following this series after that first issue but DAMN Emma Rios was ON! This series is going places.

Black Science - I thought this was a strong first issue, they delved deeply into the protagonist with him narrating the entire issue, although some parts were cringey like mentioning
anarchy and Carl Sagan
. Beyond that I thought the art was brilliant, Scalera is going to be building worlds throughout this series and if the first is any indication of what ideas Remender has, this is a must buy.

tim1138

Why couldn't Johns get one last arc on Aquaman? I don't want to wait for Forever Evil to end to get the next part of this story in Justice League. :/

Great ending to the run. I don't think John's Aquaman ever quite hit the highs of his GL work, but it was the best he's done recently and certainly in the upper tier of the New 52.

There was a rumor floating around at the time the move was announced that he's now only allowed to write 2 books at a time so he can focus more on his executive duties. So if that's true I imagine he left Aquaman earlier than he originally planned.

Rafa, do you think Fraction was feeling the pressure too much?
I have no idea. Im befuddled. I cant believe Marvel would let a book of this importance be pushed back for any reason. Really anxious to see how they spin this. If it is truly coming out in April it has to be a reason other than or in conjunction with Joe Mad. Because DC can change artists and writers with like a weeks notice. Goddam.

Black Science - I thought this was a strong first issue, they delved deeply into the protagonist with him narrating the entire issue, although some parts were cringey like mentioning
anarchy and Carl Sagan
. Beyond that I thought the art was brilliant, Scalera is going to be building worlds throughout this series and if the first is any indication of what ideas Remender has, this is a must buy.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. The art was definitely one of the highlights, but I felt that the main character came across as a little too.... emo? Is that what Remender is inventing here? Emo Sci-Fi? I didn't think it was a bad first issue, but it was mostly the main character
running away from frog-men while dwelling on how shitty his life is
. I'll give it another issue or two, but it doesn't strike me as a keeper just based on this issue.

No. Crucial parts of the plot occur in Avengers and new Avengers. Infinity 1 through 6 exist to tie plot lines together and are nonsense on their own.

Man that's some bullshit. I've been reading the big Marvel crossovers events since Civil War and that's never been the case.

OniPress must only stay in business from Scott Pilgrim residuals. Another title, The Mysterious Strangers, looks like it wont make it pass issue six. Soule said he has turned in the script for Letter 44 issue 12 though...

I was wondering why we had gotten barely anything in the way of concrete details about Inhuman despite its release approaching, but I thought that might have just been to avoid spoiling Infinity. Evidently not; it's going to have a tough time selling coming so far into the Inhumanity status quo.

OniPress must only stay in business from Scott Pilgrim residuals. Another title, The Mysterious Strangers, looks like it wont make it pass issue six. Soule said he has turned in the script for Letter 44 issue 12 though...

Pilgrim probably represents a decent chunk of their income. But they also publish Rucka's Stumptown, as well as Ross Campbell's graphic novel series Wet Moon. Not big sellers, but they do publish some original, entertaining stuff.

Pilgrim probably represents a decent chunk of their income. But they also publish Rucka's Stumptown, as well as Ross Campbell's graphic novel series Wet Moon. Not big sellers, but they do publish some original, entertaining stuff.
I buy The Sixth Gun and last I checked that sells like 6k a month. Was hoping The Mysterious Strangers would stick around. They have The Auteur coming early next year though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Soule is that far ahead? It's absurd that he's writing a half dozen monthlies and he has a day job as a lawyer.

Letter 44 #1 went up for free today on io9. I like it, got a neat hook and I appreciate the split storyline. I'll buy the trade...

Holy shit at Uncanny Avengers..

I know
Rogue has absorbed Wolvie's healing powers, but even without Adamantium poisoning, can she truly survive? and another holy shit at Wanda, Magneto is gonna be pissed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Holy shit at Uncanny Avengers..

I know
Rogue has absorbed Wolvie's healing powers, but even without Adamantium poisoning, can she truly survive? and another holy shit at Wanda, Magneto is gonna be pissed.

I don't think there's coming back from that in the conventional sense. Her bones werent coated and she was burned to what seemed cinders. As for max, he's gonna be double pissed since rogue got hit too. This is gonna be one of those "everybody hates wolverine moments though. I can see that coming clear as day.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was wondering why we had gotten barely anything in the way of concrete details about Inhuman despite its release approaching, but I thought that might have just been to avoid spoiling Infinity. Evidently not; it's going to have a tough time selling coming so far into the Inhumanity status quo.

Maybe they'll do a mini-series to build into it, like AVX Consequences built into MarvelNOW.

I don't think there's coming back from that in the conventional sense. Her bones werent coated and she was burned to what seemed cinders. As for max, he's gonna be double pissed since rogue got hit too. This is gonna be one of those "everybody hates wolverine moments though. I can see that coming clear as day.

Wolvie's been burned into a crisp many a time, just praying for the best with Rogue's healing factor..

you can't take my Southern Belle like that.. Remender!

First of all:
Infinity rocked. Best "event" comic ever and Hickman continues to school all the other writers on HOW to write a big story and give every character out of 40-50 relevant ones a moment to shine. It's really bad when you look at HOW good those 41 issues of his Avengers run up to this point (23 issues of Avengers, 12 of New Avengers and 6 of Infinity) are.

(And yeah I know different tastes and everything, but damn I can't stop to f4nboi over his stuff)

Regarding the NA-Incursion plot -
Do we know any information about what caused the initial incursion event and the resulting destruction of the superflow?

Regarding dangling Marvel Plot points:

These two pages were flash forwards in New Avengers #2 about 10 months ago:

If you are done your books this week, think about how many of those panels have actually happened to date. Gives some idea about the scope of the current stories.

I think Marvel made it quite clear that their is ONE group of players coming
The Eternals are shown in the Aftermath of Infinity#6/NA#12 and they are the players
. Those pages from NA#2 give me the chills because most of the things the first Avengers issues told us about the last white event, the fall of the guard and the war have happend. But this - most of this stuff is still out there.

Infinity 6

Hickman did a really good job showing how powerful Thanos was in this issue. After how he handled Thor and Hulk, maybe people can stop being pissed that he took Black Bolt down. If it wasn't for his plot device son, the Avengers would have lost.

I'm not sure if I would call
Thane
a
plot device
. Everything was set up for this finale and all the characters motivations in regards to the actions were set up. No Deus Ex Machnina moment, but more or less a good conclusion to this story. And
that Thane will be Thanos heir is a great twist. I feared that they would set up a super-mega-strong hero once again

And Hickman is really good with the toys he uses but has to share. He puts them into interesting positions, but does not break them in any kind of way. Something that may not be said about Remender and his Uncanny X-Force or Avengers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Regarding the NA-Incursion plot -
Do we know any information about what caused the initial incursion event and the resulting destruction of the superflow?

Not a damn clue. If they knew, odds are it would lead to a solution. They'd have something to fix, right now all they can do is make stronger weapons and hope for a clue.

Wool

Man that's some bullshit. I've been reading the big Marvel crossovers events since Civil War and that's never been the case.

It was the case in Battle of the Atom if that counts.

Just read:

Black Science #1: The art was great. One issue in I can't say much about the story, but it was fine. The highlight of the whole issue was that paper. This paper felt even better than the East of West paper. Well, that or they are the exact same kind. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison.

Saga #16: Kind of dull? I enjoyed it, but issues 13-16 have been pretty slow moving. I'm okay with it if something happens in the next two issues before they go on a break again.

Uncanny X-Men #14: Really good issue. It looked like a lot of people dropped UXM after BotA but #11 and #14 were both great. I've said plenty of times that I don't like Bachalo's art, but it looks like Frazier Irving is doing the next issue.

X-Men #7: Reading Bendis and then Wood back to back always makes it feel like a ton of stuff happened in Wood's issue. Looks like it could be a good second arc. There were a lot of women with big breasts and small waists. I haven't seen Guileless post in awhile but he'd like it.

Deprive

Infinity
Thought Thane was going to turn in to a good guy for a sec. Good that Hickman did not go down that road. The Thanos parts of Infinity were more enjoyable then the Builder stuff.

New Avengers
Really does feel like the builder war, was just for Swan to say "You ain't shit." Also if their going to fight even bigger threats, then I guess Strange is gonna get that workout.
New Avengers is a great book.

Uncanny Avengers
Can't see any of the 3 deaths sticking past the next issue or so. Rogue has Wolve's factor and Scarlett Witch just came back not that long ago.

Mafro

Bleeding Cool reported a few times that it's Remender.

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel also shouldn't have expected more than 3 issues out of Joe Mad in a year. Dude gets through a page a week. 6 months lead from that Savage Wolverine run is not enough.

A reminder: the Savage Wolverine run is a repurposed Avenging Spider-Man story.

Sblargh

Banned
Bleeding Cool reported a few times that it's Remender.

Which is funny because both of his books (Captain America and Uncanny Avengers) are about pretty much ignoring/being ignored by the continuity in general. With the exception of a few nods here and there, his stories are basically insulated from continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom