• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Deadly Class is great. My second or third favorite ongoing. You really should get on that.

If you like what Kindt does with Ninjak in The Valiant, then you'll enjoy it. It just isn't as grandiose as some other plots. Actually, it's mostly because it's actually a spy book with some offbeat twists, so it's more akin to Grayson in scale and tone.

I get sidetracked with a lot of Image books, there's far too much quality stuff coming out on a regular basis for me to keep up with my irregular reading schedule. Black Science is another Remender book I need to catch up on it's probably my favourite thing he's done.

Grayson is fun if a bit low key so if Ninjak is like that I should enjoy it. Is Unity worth reading?

I get sidetracked with a lot of Image books, there's far too much quality stuff coming out on a regular basis for me to keep up with my irregular reading schedule. Black Science is another Remender book I need to catch up on it's probably my favourite thing he's done.

Grayson is fun if a bit low key so if Ninjak is like that I should enjoy it. Is Unity worth reading?

I'm having a good time keeping up with Image books on a monthly basis over here, it's how I don't lose track of those. However, stuff I've got in trades like Saga and Rat Queens... well, especially now that I get home super late and there's no natural light left, my trades are just sitting there. Lol my tablet has been a God-send.

Unity is very much worth reading. It's got the great characterization and epic/fun stories. Some of the best stuff Kindt has done on Valiant, though sadly it will be ending so he can work on another book (presumably Shadowman?)

Edit: it's also the most honest to goodness cape book they put out

2011's list is pretty interesting, didn't know there were so many fans of Rorschach and Black Canary, though they didn't have many first place votes.

Owzers

I'm having a good time keeping up with Image books on a monthly basis over here, it's how I don't lose track of those. However, stuff I've got in trades like Saga and Rat Queens... well, especially now that I get home super late and there's no natural light left, my trades are just sitting there. Lol my tablet has been a God-send.

Unity is very much worth reading. It's got the great characterization and epic/fun stories. Some of the best stuff Kindt has done on Valiant, though sadly it will be ending so he can work on another book (presumably Shadowman?)

Edit: it's also the most honest to goodness cape book they put out

I've been writing publishers to release glow-in-the-dark versions of their comics but no one listens to me, the demand is real.

2011's list is pretty interesting, didn't know there were so many fans of Rorschach and Black Canary, though they didn't have many first place votes.

I find it hilarious that Rorshach was more popular than either Question.

I remember one entry on the list that really surprised me. Don't feel like going back and looking, though. It might have been that Kyle was the second most popular Lantern. Or that Wally was the most popular Flash.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Say whatever you want about Age of Ultron, the Hulkbuster scene is one of the best action sequences of Phase II, alone because of all these great Anti-Hulk measurements.

so checked out a surface 3 at my campus bookstore... i think 3:2 might be the perfect aspect ratio for comics

062bd380fd.jpg

left the 3:2 surface 3, right my 4:3 Nexus 9. white background color on both to show what portion of screen isn't part of the comic, and in a real comic viewer the image would be centered and not left justified as it is here.

but that's almost a 1:1 match on the surface, damn.

ReAxion

so checked out a surface 3 at my campus bookstore... i think 3:2 might be the perfect aspect ratio for comics

left the 3:2 surface 3, right my 4:3 Nexus 9. white background color on both to show what portion of screen isn't part of the comic, and in a real comic viewer the image would be centered and not left justified as it is here.

but that's almost a 1:1 match on the surface, damn.

in case anyone was wondering, i have a galaxy note 8" on my desk rn, it's 16:10, and it's definitely not the perfect aspect ratio for comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp got that FigureGAF bug.

I think I'm okay just sticking to Monsterarts for now. And I've already bought all the Monsterarts that I really want, so I'll be good for at least a couple months. :p
Still have two Monsterarts that I haven't opened yet, which I'm saving as gifts to future me.

tim1138

XMen X-Tinction Agenda

Basically XMen omnibus 1.5.
Overall, it's kind of a boring read. Had a WTF moment when Storm suddenly gets transformed back to a grown adult out of nowhere, with the ability to now restore all the Xmen's powers. Lazy writing.

Leifeld's art is always easy to spot.

I liked when Hodge made Archangel and Wolverine fight in a deathmatch, but I always hated that story because they killed Warlock off in it.

you did the important part, i'd call it a day.
I would I just have obligations.

I picked up the second volume of n52 Nightwing. The fourth volume of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, War of Kings, Fury #1, the final issue of Burning Fields, and Attilan Rising. I left Ellis' Moon Knight, volume 2 of X-treme X-men, and Green Lantern No Fear, which I believe is the first GL trade post-Rebirth, all in my box.

Hagi

Hmm finished The Valiant BIG SPOILERS
was pretty sad, poor Kay :(

Gilad was a bit of a twat and Bloodshot was great. Now I want to read Bloodshot Reborn.

Question for y'all. Kickstarter related

What makes yall decide to back a campaign

and if you do, what kind of rewards do you look for

and what are some reasonable costs for the rewards you are looking for?

For example, lets say you're looking at a 32 pg comic to back. How much would you be looking for if you wanted a physical copy vs a digital copy.

Hmm finished The Valiant BIG SPOILERS
was pretty sad, poor Kay :(

Gilad was a bit of a twat and Bloodshot was great. Now I want to read Bloodshot Reborn.

According to Coriolanus that's not a spoiler :D

Eternal Jobber amirite?

Yeah, that ending made me want to jump straight into Reborn, and the only thing I knew about BS before that was from Harbinger Wars

Seems like with the recent announcements Marvel realized they made a mistake with the horrible onslaught of book launches in the coming months and decided to go back to the tried and true.

For example, lets say you're looking at a 32 pg comic to back. How much would you be looking for if you wanted a physical copy vs a digital copy.
Good art, good pitch, preferably for a one shot story. $5 digital pdf tier, 10 for a shipped physical copy maybe? It's too small for a hardcover option but maybe also include sketched-in/commission/original art tiers

For comics that size I usually go for the cheaper tiers though

Hagi

According to Coriolanus that's not a spoiler :D

Eternal Jobber amirite?

Yeah, that ending made me want to jump straight into Reborn, and the only thing I knew about BS before that was from Harbinger Wars

haha that's a huge spoiler

Yeah he seems pretty useless as far as protector of Geomancers goes. I mean his introduction in Archer and Armstrong goes a long way to show this lol.

I've read a little Bloodshot but this little event made me like him a lot more. He's like all my favourite 80's action heroes rolled up into pasty faced not robot killing machine. Definitely going to see about picking up Bloodshot Reborn. What's Book of Death like? I saw a cover with a certain person on it that has me intrigued.

haha that's a huge spoiler

Yeah he seems pretty useless as far as protector of Geomancers goes. I mean his introduction in Archer and Armstrong goes a long way to show this lol.

I've read a little Bloodshot but this little event made me like him a lot more. He's like all my favourite 80's action heroes rolled up into pasty faced not robot killing machine. Definitely going to see about picking up Bloodshot Reborn. What's Book of Death like? I saw a cover with a certain person on it that has me intrigued.

Yo but Book of Death... let's just say he's redeemed himself. It's basically a direct sequel to The Valiant, so you can jump into that whenever you're ready or want to. It's centered around that character you're mentioning, and specifically Gilad's
redemption after failing the Earth so much lol

Yeah, and I like that about the original Bloodshot series. I think Lemire retains that style while giving him some meaningful development. Reborn is actually a pretty twisted comic, in that sense. Kay comes back in an unexpected way. It feels like a psychological thriller more than anything. The twist in the latest issue had me like WHHHHAAAAATTTT

Hagi

Yo but Book of Death... let's just say he's redeemed himself. It's basically a direct sequel to The Valiant, so you can jump into that whenever you're ready or want to. It's centered around that character you're mentioning, and specifically Gilad's
redemption after failing the Earth so much lol

Yeah, and I like that about the original Bloodshot series. I think Lemire retains that style while giving him some meaningful development. Reborn is actually a pretty twisted comic, in that sense. Kay comes back in an unexpected way. It feels like a psychological thriller more than anything. The twist in the latest issue had me like WHHHHAAAAATTTT

I'll be near the nearest comic store tomorrow so I'll ask if he has Book of Death. Hmmm damn I'm going all in on Valiant it seems.

Fucking leg day

image.php

I'll be near the nearest comic store tomorrow so I'll ask if he has Book of Death. Hmmm damn I'm going all in on Valiant it seems.

image.php

U no digital Hagi? I thought you was digital.

I'm sure they have that, but good luck finding Legends of the Geomancer. I'm going to my lcbs today, not for that but I'd grab it if I saw it

Anyway, glad you enjoyed The Valiant. One of my absolute favorite stories.

Hagi

U no digital Hagi? I thought you was digital.

I'm sure they have that, but good luck finding Legends of the Geomancer. I'm going to my lcbs today, not for that but I'd grab it if I saw it

Anyway, glad you enjoyed The Valiant. One of my absolute favorite stories.

I go back and forward on digital, it gets a bit frustrating but I'll let go of the ghost eventually.

I was going to look for that because Kay is on the front cover. It's a really small shop though and I can't remember seeing any Valiant stuff before. Might have to wait two weeks till I go to the city for my birthday.

I go back and forward on digital, it gets a bit frustrating but I'll let go of the ghost eventually.

I was going to look for that because Kay is on the front cover. It's a really small shop though and I can't remember seeing any Valiant stuff before. Might have to wait two weeks till I go to the city for my birthday.

Wait, you may have you books mixed up. Kay is on the cover of Legends of the Geomancer. That's print only, and she's actually not the central character, that's just a neat cover they did.

That book is about the first Geomancer

Hagi

Wait, you may have you books mixed up. Kay is on the cover of Legends of the Geomancer. That's print only, and she's actually not the central character, that's just a neat cover they did.

That book is about the first Geomancer

image.php

Classic getting caught by a cover without reading the synopsis. I'll try and find it anyway I'd like to read more about Geomancers.

Three episodes in and i am not liking Fear the Walking Dead, i'm not sure if i'll stick with this show.

I found the first episode pretty dull myself. Going to wait till it's finished before watching the rest but I'm not expecting much.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just got round to reading Ant-Man Last Days. Loved it.

Is that it until the #1 in October/Nov?

arkon

The premise of the book, familiarity with the creative team, their previous track record on kickstarter if any, how much is being asked for funding and whether that's reasonable, what work has already been completed.

Haven't backed a single issue kickstarter yet. I'm generally looking at anthologies or standard tpb-sized projects. In those I'd be looking at the lowest phyiscal tier which would net me a hardcover or some other artbook thing.

If I was backing a 32 pg comic project I'd be looking at comparable prices to standard indie floppies e.g. like an It Will All Hurt so $8-10 physical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom